Olympus 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 ED Lens Reviews

• Sharpness

Olympus 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 ED Lens - Ask a question now

Olympus 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 ED Lens

“Excellent value if you work with its restrictions....”

Written on: 24/03/2013 by alanscape (1 review written)

As this is the only choice for a 70-300mm in Olympus 4/3rds I decided to buy one. It compares favourably with my 50-200mm up to 200mm if you stick to f/8 or f/11 (if edge definition matters to your subjects). Like all consumer grade lenses it doesn't come without restrictions but as with any tele-zoom, it's not good to use it full out or wide open. It's a well made lens and perhaps a disadvantage for polariser users is the front element rotates.. but I never use one so it doesn't matter to… Read Full Review

Olympus 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 ED Lens

“Slow, slow, slow, slow, slow, about sums it up. Oh,...”

Written on: 07/03/2010 by simples (1 review written)

Slow, slow, slow, slow, slow, about sums it up. Oh, and soft. I'll let others more knowledgeable give the technical details, but these are my thoughts having used this lens for two weeks photographing birds in my garden.

It's also way too heavy for my little Olympus E-410, causing the camera body to flex unless you keep a good grip on the lens itself at all times. £300 isn't a fortune, especially by Olympus lens standards, but there must be a whole lot better than this - sorry I don't know… Read Full Review

Olympus 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 ED Lens

“I got this lens with my Olympus E-520 kit and I'm very...”

Written on: 26/11/2008 by BobTech (27 reviews written)

I got this lens with my Olympus E-520 kit and I'm very happy with it. Not only is it a great telephoto zoom lens for distant subjects, but it's just as useful as a macro lens. In manual focus mode, it can focus down to 960mm (from subject to camera's focal plane), making it possible to get excellent photos of insects etc while still being far enough away to not scare the subject. Of course it helps a lot to use a tripod and a camera with an image stabiliser because camera shake can blur the… Read Full Review

Bobtech's Response to BobTech's Review

Written on: 29/11/2008

I just noticed that this review is supposed to be for a 70-300mm 35mm *film* lens. Can you even buy such a thing now?<br/>The review I did is for the 4/3 format *digital* lens with exactly those specifications.

Bobtech's Response to BobTech's Review

Written on: 03/12/2008

The lens I own and wrote a review of is a specifically *digital* lens for the Four Thirds format used by Olympus, Leica and Panasonic. It is *not* a 35mm film format lens as described by Review Centre.