Goodmans W280NS Reviews

• Image Quality

• Sound Quality

Goodmans W280NS - Ask a question now

Goodmans W280NS

“I hear you. My W280NS went snap, crackle and pop...”

Written on: 27/09/2004 by mikeian (1 review written)

I hear you. My W280NS went snap, crackle and pop yesterday morning (more like snap, snap, snap, snap, pop!). Thanks to your write-ups I'm not even going to bother getting it repaired, or buy another Goodmans. Good excuse to get a nice new one. I've done some research too and I'm convinced the failure is due to the transformer arcing over. I've got power but no picture or sound, just the stand-by light and some small fireworks when I try to take it off stand-by. To be fair it was a great little… Read Full Review

Goodmans W280NS

“We ventured into the Widescreen TV market in the...”

Written on: 12/04/2004 by escapeee (1 review written)

We ventured into the Widescreen TV market in the autumn of 2001 and invested in one of these Goodmans W280NS mainly on being a good price at the time. However after just a few months it broke down and an engineer was called for, and he promptly fixed it in our home and we had several more months of happy viewing, just a month after the one year manufacturers guarantee expired (we didnt have extended warranty) it started acting up with continually switching itself off, sometimes after a minute… Read Full Review

188343_Clodhopper's Response to escapeee's Review

Written on: 08/04/2005

You're wasting you're time contacting dom & gen, they seem to thrive on unreliable appliances and will pay for ongoing repairs till the cows come home at the expense of your continual loss of viewing.

Goodmans W280NS

“This is the first step I made in buying a widescreen...”

Written on: 17/09/2003 by Quaidy (1 review written)

This is the first step I made in buying a widescreen tv. And a buy which I am very proud with. The Goodmans W280NS looks good and for £330 (which I payed 2 years ago) it is well worth buying. I recently upgraded to a Panasonic TX36PB50. But still, I wont get rid of me Goodmans… Read Full Review

☆☆☆☆☆
Goodmans W280NS

“We purchased our Goodmans W28BNS 28" tv on 15/12/99...”

Written on: 24/02/2003 by louise. (1 review written)

We purchased our Goodmans W28BNS 28" tv on 15/12/99 and the first repair was 23/12/99 to degauze the screen. Since then the repair men have been baffled by the catalogue of complaints-everything from the sound going up and down to sizzling noises to breakdown in the picture. We feel we have badly let down and dubious about watching it too much because the last engineer said that in some models there has been a problem with a short circuited wire. Never again will we purchase anything with the… Read Full Review

Fw25's Response to 75267_louise.'s Review

Written on: 08/09/2003

I fully agree, GOODMANS used to be good but the quality of the products of GOODMANS these days is absolutely rubbish, they are usually sold in argos and index stores-avoid price offers, the best makes of TV are SAMSUNG and TOSHIBA, i know this because my uncle is an TV Engineer.

Goodmans W280NS

“After looking for a 28 inch widescreen Goodmans and...”

Written on: 15/01/2003 by roger. (1 review written)

After looking for a 28 inch widescreen Goodmans and comet stores found the ws28 ns model asked if it was (i like the fact that Goodmans were in uk) made by Goodmans and was told yes, i bought it and found faults with the scan geometry and then asked Goodmans {part of ALBA}, i found out, where i can get spares and circuits and was told, oh no the Comet group have a licence to rebadge there own makes as Goodmans and if i wanted one a real "Goodmans" go to Argos. Isn't it against trade desciptions… Read Full Review

☆☆☆☆☆
Goodmans W280NS

“I bought this Goodmasns W280NS widescreen TV as a...”

Written on: 12/06/2002 by Chris. (1 review written)

I bought this Goodmasns W280NS widescreen TV as a first step into Widescreen. It was cheap (£379), looked good, and had a brilliant picture quality - better than many 'big name' sets at twice the price. The SVHS socket and support for RGB on one of it's two SCART sockets were an added bonus, as was the satin black finish - so much less flashy than the common silver look. Good Nicam stereo with a choice of 'effects' (stereo-concert hall-stereo wide) and full tone controls.
The remote was simple… Read Full Review

36405_Paul.'s Response to 27558_Chris.'s Review

Written on: 05/09/2002

No one expects a TV, even a cheap one, to only last 16 months so I`d be heading to the small claims court to get my money back from the retailer, manufacturer, or credit card co

152046_Adamgoudge's Response to 27558_Chris.'s Review

Written on: 18/04/2004

I have had a Goodmans Widescreen 32inch for 19months and I go to turn it on one morning and the screen narrows into the centre, curved inwards both sides. I have sent various emails to Goodmans and still no reply! I still remain frustrated and with a tv that won't work! OK it's cheap but i expect it to last a little longer.
<br>Goodmans- an example of bad product and bad service!!

Sicton's Response to 27558_Chris.'s Review

Written on: 08/08/2003

I bought a similar Goodmans TV and haven't had any trouble with it in 4 years, although I only use it for an average of 30 minutes per day. It's not a bad TV but it doesn't have that cutting edge. I am exactly the same, bought the 28" model as a way into the Widescreen market but now realise that there are much better TV's out there. At the time, I bought it from Comet using two vouchers and took out a 5 year warrent (which ends next year - £100 cashback if it doesn't need replacing, refunded or repaired) and only cost about £270. Overall, I've been pretty happy with the TV but phono ports would have been a bonus, a more attractive remote and a display which doesn't veer to the left while viewing some things.

68942_Dave.'s Response to 27558_Chris.'s Review

Written on: 29/01/2003

I purchased a goodmans widescreen tv and it lasted just over 1 year and it went. I've have had problems with flickering screen also would advise not to buy unless you take there 3 year cover plan deal for an extra £30 or when buying an expensive tv try to get a good deal cover for 3-5 years some stores do have special offer. Just to have that peace of mind will be woth it rather than paying hefty prices for repairs in the long term.

61078_Simon.'s Response to 27558_Chris.'s Review

Written on: 28/12/2002

I bought one of these televisions from Comet recently thinking it was good value. When I got it home I found that the picture was tilted over at an angle and that there was no tilt correction function on the TV to rectify the angle. Worse still was the response of the spotty teenage sales staff who told me that "Most widescreen TVs do that mate" (Yeah, Right!!!) after keeping me waiting in the store for 20 minutes the next day while they checked that I was telling the truth about the fault. After hearing this I demanded a full refund and will not be shopping at Comet again.

53394_Neil.'s Response to 27558_Chris.'s Review

Written on: 25/11/2002

Thank you. Useful advise, I'm looking at Goodmans vs. Hitachi and you've clinched it for me. As a point of advice, I had a washing machine from Comet with a 12 month guarantee. It failed after 13 months. Comet response (paraphrased), ended in "off," until I quoted sales of goods act which effectively states manufacturers have to compensate you if goods do not last for the time for which they can be reasonably expected to last. Result was that Comet sent someone round the next day and a FOC repair followed. Trading Standards web site has a useful section on guarantees and statutory rights (in practice most guarantees offer less than you're legally entitled to, hence the standard disclaimer "this does not affect your statutory rights." Bottom line is don't buy an extended warranty since the threat of a small claims court summons is just as effective and much cheaper!

42599_John.'s Response to 27558_Chris.'s Review

Written on: 08/10/2002

well i bought a good make? of tv - a JVC 29 inch dolby pro logic - the works.
<br>
<br>It failed after 2 years - got it fixed and now 'kaputt' again..I will never buy expensive ever again. Cost me 750 quid.
<br>really miffed,

Unluckiest Person.'s Response to 27558_Chris.'s Review

Written on: 22/09/2002

You were lucky. I've had 2 of these goodmans TV's and both failed on me within 2-3 months. Got a new model of goodmans with a tv package available in most retail outlets and surprise surprise it failed on me. now onto the 4th,keeping our fingers crossed. The DVD player that goes with it isn't much better. Onto the 3rd one of those.
<br>
<br>Hooray for Goodmans,at least they keep us shopping

38713_Leslie.'s Response to 27558_Chris.'s Review

Written on: 20/09/2002

I've had the 32 inch version of this telly. I'd agree with everything good said about this TV. However, I've had my TV for 34 months now and not a thing has happened to upset me. It is reliable, plays well with my DVD (a Philips) and my VHS video (a Sony).
<br>
<br>My "standard" telly that is now in my bedroom (the widescreen replaced it as my main telly) has only just developed a fault (keeps switching off while watching it) after over 11 years use.
<br>
<br>I'd say that Goodmans is no more or less reliable than any other make - I know people with main brands (Sony, Philips, Toshiba) that have had to replace the TVs more regularly than I have had to.

38287_Ubernewbie.'s Response to 27558_Chris.'s Review

Written on: 17/09/2002

I wish I could have read you review one year and two months ago. My Goodmans went kaputt (Techncal term!)this week, two months after the warranty ended. I got the Goodmans for exactly the same reason as you, my first widescreen and it was cheep, couldn't go wrong right? I will not buy again from comet nor will I buy Badmans equipment.