Escape To The Country Reviews

Escape To The Country - Ask a question now

“Escape to the Country”

Written on: 28/10/2015 by Conora463 (1 review written)

Most of the homes are really lovely. I do not think the people who are on the show actually have the money to buy the homes. There is a always a fault. The kitchens which are usually huge are never big enough for them even if there is only the two of them. They always put over the story not big enough for visitors. Think they love to get on tv some are not even interested in any of them… Read Full Review

Written on: 02/11/2015

I don't think this is necessarily true.
I do agree that perhaps some of the people are more interested in appearing on the TV show than buying the houses, goodness knows why, I think it would be so embarrassing for me if the whole country knows what I'm up to when looking for a house!

However, although this is my favorite program to watch, I really don't know why they bother showing people gully kitchens if they have made clear that they hate them, and when most of the buyers are after a large country style kitchen. That is a real put off.

It would be precisely because there's only a couple of them moving to the country and leaving friends and family behind that they would want to have a large kitchen for entertaining.

Some houses are amazing, others, well, small living areas and bedrooms are not what most people are looking for, and they are usually a deal breaker.

“Lack of good Manners”

Written on: 27/10/2015 by Shannon323 (1 review written)

Why is it that these presenters find it impossible to say "Please?" If they want a prosective buyer to close a door or they want to go in front of them, I have not once heard any of them say "Please"! They are well educated people is it so difficult to show good manners? It is a good programme and it is nice to see some of the houses, but another question is why after they have asked the people for a spec of what they want, they show them something that is completely unsuitable like they did… Read Full Review

Written on: 02/11/2015

I do agree about being polite at all times.

Walking in first is something that lets the show down, even if the reason is that they are the agent and know the way, it still appears impolite to walk in front of their guests.

However, having to ask people to shut the door is so silly, just like they see the presenter wipe their feet, and the buyers walk behind them like cattle into a paddock, almost never wipe their own feet or close the door.
Do they live in tents I wonder?!
Politeness should be both ways, and nobody should be asked to shut the doors, it is what one has to do on entering a home, just like wiping our feet!!

I do completely agree about the presenters showing a great amount of houses that are the opposite to what the prospective buyers have asked, that really gets up my nose.
The excuse about making them re-think their ideas and open their minds is just that, an excuse. In most cases they at least have one suitable house, but I have seen shows (I don't miss any) in which none of the houses was even close to what they had asked for, neither in configuration nor location.

That is totally silly

“Great but I cannot listen to Denise Nurse any longer....”

Written on: 18/03/2015 by ladyisobel (3 reviews written)

Would someone PLEASE explain to her that the word "HERE" is NOT the same as the word "HAIR"! What is wrong with this woman? This is not an accent thing it is a ridiculous affectation. Sadly it is a word that crops up every five minutes on this program so I will be turning off if she is the presenter in future… Read Full Review

“Love this show”

Written on: 19/02/2015 by gdogmomma (1 review written)

I love your show and I would love to know where they buy their dresses. My only negative is pretty much the same as many of the comments on here, in that they sometimes show people houses that are nothing like what the person asked for in the first place. I understand the mystery house is supposed to challenge but what about the other two? Is it because there is a shortage of property that matches their requirements in that particular search area? I imagine it's sometimes hard to match… Read Full Review

“Presenters need to actively listen to property viewers...”

Written on: 10/10/2014 by Jonas341 (1 review written)

Why take potential buyers to properties they asked the opposite of, and when the response is negative, why do the presenters say that it's a great property for them? I know there may have to be come compromise, but e.g. if buyers ask for a large garden or plot, why show them a small backyard? It's a light show, and some buyers just want the opportunity to view some properties in different areas. Seems like the majority of buyers do not end up buying what was picked for them to view. Likes… Read Full Review

Goldenoldie51's Comment

Written on: 13/10/2014

I agree, I have watched the program for years. I reckon only a handful have made an offer on a property. This evening I watched one dating back 4 years (yeah sad they're showing repeats of repeats of repeats but I still watch them when there's not a lot else to view) anyway.. This young family couple, with one child and expecting another, was shown a converted chapel with a pokey shaled garden and not enough room to swing a cat in let alone kick a football!

And why on earth do they show tall people low ceiling cottages is beyond me! There are a lot of programs like this.

Way over people's price bracket, even if a deal is to be done, it's STILL over their budget!

It's a bit like politics... they haven't a clue what people want!

I completely agree!

“Worst property earch ever”

Written on: 23/08/2014 by JustLovePropertyNorthernIrishGal (1 review written)

Watched this today. Appaling, the presenter shows country prooerties to a couple who do not want anything resembling, does he not listen. Oh yes show them stylish modern conversion when they want country kitchen and land to grow. Just awful, worst programme ever, should be called escape this programme and presenter. Never watch this. If you love property programmes dont shorten your life by wasting time on this programme. Can safely say presenter jules Hudson us useless… Read Full Review

Goldenoldie51's Response to JustLovePropertyNorthernIrishGal's Review

Written on: 13/10/2014

I'm still trying to figure why the presenters feel they need to laugh a lot at nothing in particular? Like they're extracting the urine or possibly had a couple of drinks before they started the 'tour'

“Why is this show still on?”

Written on: 16/05/2014 by Fran121 (3 reviews written)

At first the show was not bad, but the idea has been done to death. A lot of people ask if there could be some more information on if they buy the house at the end, lately I notice they have started to say sometimes what has happened since, but it is a very fast round-up easy to miss. Mostly they fail to buy any house on the show as either they put in an offer that is rejected or the houses which are amazing are somehow not good enough. I think some people go on the show just to get a free… Read Full Review

“Pants new presenters”

Written on: 15/05/2014 by propertyprincess (1 review written)

What has happened? Where is lovely Alistair - lovely Denise? I know Nicki's abroad doing a smashing job - where is Jules? I'm even missing Aled. Instead, those two insufferable women - dumbing down is too generous - I want presenters, not pouters - please, please reinstate the status quo before yet another good programme is ruined forever… Read Full Review

Martaramirez's Response to propertyprincess's Review

Written on: 02/11/2015

Oh no! Is this True? Alistair and Jules are not in it anymore?!

I'm in Australia and we only get old shows.

Still is my favorite show of all times, because I'm completely in love with the British countryside, absolute paradise compared with the terrible small country towns here in Australia, no character, history, the scenery is non-existent, so watching E.t.t.C, is like dreaming!

But apart from Alistair and Jules who are adorable and amazing, all the others bother me to some extend. And I haven't seen any of the new ones you refer to, no doubt it will be the end of my watching this show then.

Propertyprincess's reply to Martaramirez's Comment

Written on: 02/11/2015

Don't worry Martamirez - I made my comment over a year ago and I haven't seen the awful pouters since - must have gone off to model for knitting patterns...

The status quo has been re-instated, thank goodness and all is well.

As a Brit, it's lovely to hear an Aussie liking our country - all we see on tv is people wanting to go and live 'down under' - wanting a bit of sun.
Put your feet up with a cuppa and carry on enjoying your show!

Martaramirez's reply to Propertyprincess's Comment

Hi Property Princess,

Thank you for replying to me, I feel much better now!
Nice to know that the show producers listen to their viewers, most times people complain but are never heard, so this is so refreshing.

I also replied to other posts talking about the fact that there seems to be a majority of properties shown that don't follow the brief at all, and that is so annoying.
Although I understand that it must be lack of properties, it's then even more annoying how some of the presenters seem displeased with the fact that the buyers didn't want to "adapt". That is so silly! But thank goodness there's only a couple that tend to do that, with the worst one being Jonnie, who never fails to criticize any comments that are not favorable, so rude!

Regarding your reply about so many Brits wanting to come to Australia for the sunshine, well, yes, we hear that all the time. However, there can also be too much of a good thing, and the sun here is a killer! It's simply too hot for humans and animals not indigenous of this continent! Give me rain and cool weather any day!
Especially in the country, where there are about 4-5 months of the year that are comfortable, the rest is unbearable due to the heat, drought and flies!!!!

Many Brits do come here, but also many more go back, the lack of culture, traditions, history, and the fact that outside large cities or the lovely beaches everything is so sparse and the lack of facilities and a normal life are so pronounced, because for everything you need to travel for hours, well, I can assure you that the novelty soon wears out.

I'm a "new Aussie", and I am happy about the easy lifestyle here regarding good standard of living for anyone. However, needing to stay in cities to enjoy everyday things, outings, even seeing some life around you, well that is just not right.
Here we have either big cities or towns so small and far away that offer virtually nothing to enjoy life, especially in WA where I live, 90% is desert.

Then I watch this show and see that in minutes they travel from one village to another, or to a larger town where they have everything, all while enjoying the stunning countryside, gorgeous architecture full of history, everything green and full of life, and I want to escape... to Britain!

Off to make my cuppa and enjoy the show!

Martaramirez's reply to Propertyprincess's Comment

Hi Property Princess,

Thank you for replying to me, I feel much better now!

Off to make my cuppa and enjoy the show!

Propertyprincess's reply to Martaramirez's Comment

Written on: 03/11/2015

Hello again - how interesting to hear about your life in WA. We take it for granted that we can pop down the road and be in another town or village in a short time.
I can see why ETTC would be a real contrast to such an arid landscape.
Personally, I love Australian art - you have some amazing artists in your country - I'd come for a visit just to see that!
As for Johnny Irwin (presenter), I had a look on Wiki and I found this: Over the past ten years, Irwin has advised clients on business and property from small high street gift shops to multimillion pound corporate hotel packages. He still runs a property and business consultancy - maybe this is why he has such a confident opinion? Lucy we have Jules, Aled, Alistair, Denise and Nicky to balance things off!
All the best!

“Why has Escape to the Country been dumbed down?”

Written on: 25/11/2013 by ChristineHG (1 review written)

This used to be a beautiful programme, especially for expats like myself. Not only did we get to see inside some lovely (and some not so lovely)homes, but we got to see the glorious UK countryside.as well. Unfortunately, the programme has been reduced to a guessing game. Why do potential escapees have to guess the price of the home? I don't see the point. In TV jargon it's called dumbing a programme down or in other words making a programme appeal to a wider audience. An absolute insult to… Read Full Review

“the south again”

Written on: 11/05/2013

the program should be renamed Escape to the south of the country. … Read Full Review

“I find the programme format a bit tired and are some...”

Written on: 17/02/2013

I find the programme format a bit tired and are some of the presenters on commission?! Maybe it's just me but it seems to be becoming a vehicle for estate agents to offload properties that are hard to sell, to people with very generous budgets. Obviously not everyone in the UK is struggling in these austere times! Unfortunately I can't bring myself to say anything positive about it… Read Full Review

“Makes me laugh!! ”

Written on: 12/12/2012

Well i find myself watching this right now.It's makes me laugh and cringe at the same time seeing people with supposed massive budgets who really haven't a penny to rub together get on the TV!I'm going to do a spin off programme myself inviting people who are really genuinely poor called Escape to my garden shed!People who have a real maximum budget of £100.00 should apply here! … Read Full Review

“It only takes one to spoil things”

Written on: 23/08/2012

What prompted meto write is WHY does Denise Nurse always seem to wear those horible boots? Are they surgically removed each day? And for an intelligent person, she makes some silly remarks, followed by a silly laugh. The rooms are too small, only one bathroom, small kitchen, what is her answer' "yes but look at your lovely garden" For goodness sake, get rid of her… Read Full Review

“so frustrating”

Written on: 28/07/2012 by gutteridgesheila (1 review written)

I used to love watching Escape to the country, but now we never find out if the people actually chose the house of their dreams, it is like dangling a carrot, I want to know why it is not possible to let viewers know how the people got on. It is so frustrating, I think Im going to give up watching its like going to the cinema and they stop the film before the end… Read Full Review

“Follow up news requests seem to be ignored”

Written on: 11/06/2011 by moggidoggi (1 review written)

An interesting insight into what matters to people in selecting a home. It would be far more worthe while if each ep. had a follow up from an eposode in the last series ot a search in the same area. Has anyone one found a source that actually answers the request for updates. Is there a web site for the show itself? In australia we tend to like what Brits term as bungalows but Brit;s don't (doeas noone get arthritis and hate stairs? … Read Full Review

Jtwanderer's Response to moggidoggi's Review

Written on: 08/09/2013

Having been on the show, couple of comments

1 - We asked them why they didn't do a series of follow-ups - answer: no appetite although they asked to be kept informed during the time leading up to the first showing of your episode

2 - the show is an advert for the UK and isnt there to primarily find you a house (like the one with 'that woman' in it)

“I'M AN AVID FAN, BUT BRING BACK CATHERINE GEE, GET RID...”

Written on: 17/01/2011

I'M AN AVID FAN, BUT BRING BACK CATHERINE GEE, GET RID OF THE MALE GLORIFIED REAL ESTATE AGENT WHO THINKS IT'S ALL ABOUT HIM. NOTE HOW MANY TIMES HE SAYS "I". HE ACTS LIKE HE'S ON COMMISSION. THE SHOW HAS MADE ME WANT TO TRAVEL TO ENGLAND JUST TO SEE THE COUNTRY SIDE. NOT A FAN OF THE NEW CONCEPT, IT WASN'T BROKEN, WHY FIX IT? PLEASE, PLEASE BRING BACK CATHERINE!!!!!!… Read Full Review

“Escape to the Country UK ”

Written on: 09/01/2011

Escape to the Country UK
I love Catherine Gee, I am in Australia and a new season has just started but with a man presenting and I must say after getting on forums etc. many people are very upset at the new format of the show and the new presenter.
Catherine Gee just makes this show and it is not the same without her presenting, she is really lovely and funny.
She makes the show very interesting with the way she presents and researches the areas and really involves herself in the families that… Read Full Review

“Entertaining as it gives an insight into how stress...”

Written on: 16/01/2009

Entertaining as it gives an insight into how stress free life can be if your born into wealth with no money worries. Every program is the same with wealthy middle class couples with large budgets, Relocation Relocation is the same, it's also very convenient how they manage to find that £80,00 extra they need that just happens to appear so they can buy there dream home. I think if you've seen one you've seen them all… Read Full Review

Guest's Comment

Written on: 25/01/2012

Spot on observation of this tired old format.
The presenters are always at pains to point out the huge challenge of finding a decent property with a 'paltry budget' of £500-£600K - how about a real challenge of finding anything under £250K???
How about a totally new format 'Escape to the City'......

“Agree with another review that a follow-up programme...”

Written on: 18/11/2008 by Wistful (1 review written)

Agree with another review that a follow-up programme would be good to see how buyers got on. Particularly as some of the seem to have an idealised view of what living in the country will be. They say they want rural living and then moan when there are no shops, pubs or neighbours… Read Full Review

“It would make sense to cut out the ancillary bits and...”

Written on: 18/11/2008

It would make sense to cut out the ancillary bits and pieces - like taking prospective buyers horse riding or to a stone quarry - and to add a fourth home to the programme. The programme loses focus by going off on a different route. Too much waffle. It should all be about homes with no distractions… Read Full Review