Canon MV550i Reviews

• Video Quality

• Sound Quality

• Battery Life

Summary

Digital
Mini Dv
1 X Ccd
18x Optical Zoom
Canon MV550i - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Canon MV550i

Showing star rating of:

(cancel refinement)

“I bought the Canon MV 550i two years ago after reading...”

Written on: 11/04/2005 by scotthatton (2 reviews written)

I bought the Canon MV 550i two years ago after reading magazine reviews. It seemed to be the leader in the field of budget camcorders and having tried it in the shops found it very comfortable to use.
Initial impressions were very good, and I used the camera to shot some great footage skiing. The only minor downside was the noise of the cameras operation being pick up in operation - this was mentioned in reviews.

However, then it all went wrong. One day whilst backing up some editing… Read Full Review

Tubbs's Response to scotthatton's Review

Written on: 18/06/2007

I to have experienced the same problem with a little used MV550I which is now out of warranty, unfortunately I used my tapes with valued video footage on thinking it was a tape problem. Thanks to this review I shall not bother to have it repaired and will have to find some way of restoring my chewed up tapes to disc.

Guest's Response to scotthatton's Review

Written on: 14/08/2011

Here Here!
I was going to repair my 550i but i will not bother now.
Because literally years have passed, I'll simply buy another similar second hand model froma well known action site.

☆☆☆☆☆

“Avoid the Canon MV550i at all costs. I bought my first...”

Written on: 06/08/2004 by eastfellsider (1 review written)

Avoid the Canon MV550i at all costs. I bought my first camcorder on magazine recommendation and bitterly regret it. It produced a lot of mosaic noise one month and one day old. After weeks of emails, phone calls and letters falling into a balck hole and being passed from pillar to post, Canon refused to replace it but instead undertook a major repair - it had only been used for a few hours! A few months later it was back with similar problems. Thereafter it worked ok, although I had to buy an… Read Full Review

“My family bought 3 Canon MV550i cameras over a 6...”

Written on: 30/07/2004 by pm (1 review written)

My family bought 3 Canon MV550i cameras over a 6 month period and everyone was a dud. All 3 have been back to Canon at least once my own twice. In each case the warranty had just expired and a cheque for £180 must accompany the camera if you want it fixed. All 3 cameras have had the same problems with rewind, the screen and with the tape mechanism all of which are simply rubbish… Read Full Review

“Got this Canon MV550i Digital Camcorder for christmas....”

Written on: 15/09/2003 by boris the spie (1 review written)

Got this Canon MV550i Digital Camcorder for christmas. Lucky me! I use broadcast cameras so I see good pictures all the time but nothing prepared me for how poor this thing is. I have an old 8mm camera that produces better pictures. The picture outside had a fair amount of grain and colour bleed. Indoors, my god, grain? A veritable silo of the stuff.

With poor sound marred by tape noise. Bottom loading tape compartment which annoys when sat on tripod this camera is poor. Stills are as grainy… Read Full Review

☆☆☆☆☆

“Before I bought the Canon 550i, I really trust Canon's...”

Written on: 21/06/2003 by xuanzc. (1 review written)

Before I bought the Canon 550i, I really trust Canon's products. I have a Canon digital camera, it is very good, so we decided to buy a Canon digital Camcorder. But when when took home Canon MV550i, and shot in the room, we found there are so much noise, and the color is very poor, much worse than my old non-digital JVC video camera, after two days test, we decided to return the camera and bought a Panasonic one, it is very good now… Read Full Review

“I would not buy this Canon MV550i again if I was in...”

Written on: 15/04/2003 by Gambit. (1 review written)

I would not buy this Canon MV550i again if I was in the market for a new camcorder… Read Full Review