• Durability

• Service & Support

Gaggia Classic Review - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Gaggia Classic Review

Gaggia Classic Review

“Gaggia Classic I recommend only if you really like...”

Written on: 06/04/2013 by diffenthal (4 reviews written)

I don't want to put anyone off buying this machine, but let's be clear, most people in the UK don't actually like espresso that much - they seem to prefer the milky rubbish which the coffee chains like to pretend qualify as sophisticated drinks. This is a semi automatic machine although several of the reviews here describe it as a manual. Your espresso will require patience and practice to get to the point you are genuinely happy with the end result. Beans, roast, fill and tamping all have… Read Full Review

Gaggia Classic Review

“Gaggia Classic I recommend only if you really like...”

Written on: 06/04/2013 by diffenthal (4 reviews written)

Gaggia Classic Review

“Qaulity, Robust Machine with a Heritage”

Written on: 27/10/2012

I bought mine off Ebay for £110. There's lots of them about as a lot of people just can't persevere and learn how to use them. You need to buy a quality milk jug and also a tamper. You also need to watch a few videos on Youtube to get to know how to foam milk. A temperature guauge for the milk is also a must. You can choose your own coffee and it is a lot cheaper than buying pods/sachets etc. Gaggia owners who have taken the time to learn how to make coffee properly would not revert to one of… Read Full Review

Gaggia Classic Review

“old machine purchased form terrible seller”

Written on: 26/12/2011 by jeui4n (1 review written)

It was a gift, and it was easy trying to decide if I should plug it in or send it back. (I don't like the way it looks) It's a 30 year old machine with a 30 year old design which is cheap. Most importantly, The bottom piece just slips out and does not stay put. I can imagine spilling the coffee every morning ~ I just don't like the way this drip tray dislodges itself so easily. There is nothing really to hold it and It seems so cheaply constructed. I hate the way you need to pull parts… Read Full Review

Gaggia Classic Review

“I don't mind the fact that making coffee on this...”

Written on: 31/10/2010

I don't mind the fact that making coffee on this machine takes a little time. Indeed ,as several reviewers have mentioned, this aspect is part of the pleasure in making a decent cup of coffee. When it worked, it produced a fine espresso and can make good cappuccino.

It's the quality of the machine which i take issue with. It's badly made . The instructions are less than clear. Were they translated from italian into serbo croat before being "translated"into english?
Its temperamental, needs… Read Full Review

Gaggia Classic Review

“Once we got it going the espresso coffee was good but...”

Written on: 25/09/2010

Once we got it going the espresso coffee was good but there are some poor design features! The top of the machine gets extremely hot, dangerously hot! To attach the filter holder it is necessary to hold the machine steady with the free hand and with all that heat this is potentially uncomfortable. Our experience with the new owners of Gaggia - Philips has been very bad. They stonewall on the phone and suggest writing but then don't respond to letters!
Our filter holder cracked quite early… Read Full Review

Gaggia Classic Review

“I love my coffee machine more than I ought and more...”

Written on: 22/09/2010

I love my coffee machine more than I ought and more than I thought. It is a bit fiddly and took a while to remember the procedure, but now making it is all part of the process to enjoy a good cup of frothy coffee. I even take my Gaggia on holiday to France, much to the annoyance/amazement of my kids, so I can have a good cappucino first thing in the morning. One of life's simple pleasures! Being reminded to clean it for good flow of water would have been useful.
I have managed to lose both… Read Full Review

Gaggia Classic Review

“The Gaggia Classic makes good coffee it is a bit...”

Written on: 24/08/2010

The Gaggia Classic makes good coffee it is a bit fiddly to set up, and tricky to re-load water from empty. Unfortunately the warranty does not match the quality of the coffee! My filter holder is broken but Philips, who now own Gaggia, do not recognise this as part of the machine - even though you can't make coffee without it.
I am very happy with the machine and the coffee it makes but frustrated by the stonewall tactics of the 'support' staff. Remember to set aside £30 when you buy the… Read Full Review

Stanleymatthews's Comment

Written on: 04/09/2010

I found this review very helpful because...I also had difficulty getting the warranty to work!

Josie Archer's Comment

Written on: 25/09/2010

I found this review very helpful because... it reflects our own experience with Philips (the owners of Gaggia) as poor on customer relations.

Gaggia Classic Review

“I find this product really hard to use. the...”

Written on: 13/11/2009 by vickidavies (14 reviews written)

I find this product really hard to use. the instructions that came with the product are not very easy to understand. When using the product it takes a lot of time and effort. i wouldn't advice any one to buy this product. it isn't easy and very time consuming. I just gave up in the end and put it in the cupboard. I never really used it properly i dont think. i wish i would have read a review or 2 before i brought the product… Read Full Review

Gaggia Classic Review

“I have had my gaggia classic since january find very...”

Written on: 07/07/2009 by gaylard (1 review written)

I have had my gaggia classic since january find very easy to use with perfect foam, the foam came with practice and I bought the gaggia jug which holds the this machine is used daily and holds the heat… Read Full Review

Gaggia Classic Review

“The Gaggia classic is well worth buying and better...”

Written on: 03/02/2009

The Gaggia classic is well worth buying and better than expensive pod versions I prefer to grind my own coffee and my wife loves the mess I leave behind, I get away with it because I make her such good black coffee with a creme to die for. Would and will buy another one when this packs up, not worth getting fixed considering the price and I have seen them for £150, servicing is about £60-70 which isn't worth it… Read Full Review

Gaggia Classic Review

“I'd echo other comments on the Gaggia Classic - the...”

Written on: 16/12/2008 by rogthedodge62 (4 reviews written)

I'd echo other comments on the Gaggia Classic - the bad reviews are very probably from people who haven't learnt to use their machine.

I've had mine for over 7 years and it's fantastic. I can make espresso, cappucino or latte at least as good as any coffee bar in Leeds. There's certainly enough steam pressure to froth the milk!!

Good coffee beans (Whittards for me) and a decent grinder (ascaso for me) are needed to get the best out of your machine. It's a manual and a single boiler so you need… Read Full Review

Tiamiazas's Response to rogthedodge62's Review

Written on: 18/02/2011

It offered an explanation as to why some reviews were so bad. I can understand that if someone is like me, a complete coffee making novice then I am not to expect a rival to my fav starbucks latte overnight.
<br/>
<br/>I would like to have had this person come and spend an hour with me as they clearly know what they are talkingabout :-)

Gaggia Classic Review

“I think that any bad Gaggia Classic reviews may be...”

Written on: 16/10/2008 by Bikerbird (1 review written)

I think that any bad Gaggia Classic reviews may be because people don't realise when they buy them that there is a fair amount of work involved in producing a good cup of espresso with a manual pump machine. Personally, I enjoy the fact that it is a bit technical but this may not be everyone's cup of espresso.
Also I'm sure there are few 'Friday afternoon' machines out there but mine doesn't seem to be one of them.
I managed to get a great latte at my second attempt. The first one was a bit weak… Read Full Review

Gaggia Classic Review

“I have had this machine for 4 years now and continue...”

Written on: 27/08/2008 by Loon326 (1 review written)

I have had this machine for 4 years now and continue to love using it. The manual controls give a greater sense of satisfaction when everything comes together.
TIP: Remove the black Gaggia plastic frother to 'stretch the milk' ('frothing' is so yesterday) directly from the steel stemer.
If you're worried about cleaning, I recommend the backflush device you can buy to clean the system every week or so… Read Full Review

Gaggia Classic Review

“Well capable of producing good shots of espresso coffee. ”

Written on: 02/06/2008 by uklincsman (2 reviews written)

Well capable of producing good shots of espresso coffee.
Not possible to back-flush so coffee residues end up inside machine, shower plate needs cleaning often
Milk frothing hopeless - too long to reach steaming temperature and attachment feeds too much air - result is more like shaving foam where it should be a micro foam
Good cappuccino should be 1/3 espresso, 1/3 steamed milk and 1/3 foamed milk. Only way to get close is to preheat milk in microwave to reduce effects of the Gaggia foaming… Read Full Review

Gaggia Classic Review

“My advice is ignore reviewers who can't use this...”

Written on: 22/05/2008 by fatherches (1 review written)

My advice is ignore reviewers who can't use this machine : it's EXCELLENT. Great espresso with wonderful thick crema (sugar won't sink through it !). I use cheap(ish) Lavazza Espresso beans, and a an excellent Gaggia grinder. I'd buy another Classic tomorrow if (heaven forbid) mine gave up the ghost. Easily cleaned (quick flush with water after emptying the holder) Mainly, excellent / wonderful/better than British coffee-house espresso and easily on a par with real Italian cafe offerings… Read Full Review

Black Ghost 7's Response to 368180_fatherches's Review

Written on: 31/05/2008

Saying that though it isn't hard to beat British coffee houses, I have often wondered whether Britain is the worst country for coffee, I think the fact that most people prefer instant coffee (which they call 'real') to that 'black machine stuff' says enough! Thanks for your review.

Gaggia Classic Review

“buy this machine a bit expensive but you won't regret it!”

Written on: 24/01/2008

buy this machine a bit expensive but you won't regret it!… Read Full Review

Gaggia Classic Review

“I would avoid this machine. The cheap De Longhi I had...”

Written on: 23/12/2007 by MikeFP (1 review written)

I would avoid this machine. The cheap De Longhi I had before made better coffee than the Gaggia. I've had mine back to the outlet at Glasshoughton three times. They're not helpful - full of lame excuses. They even had the cheek to charge me for the descaler when I brought it back for the third time!… Read Full Review

Gaggia Classic Review

“Have now bought another make, Briel Versatile Due,...”

Written on: 25/06/2007 by alicp (1 review written)

Have now bought another make, Briel Versatile Due, which was excellent to start with but now milk steamer has broken. Store unable to get spare part necessary to fix… Read Full Review

Gaggia Classic Review

“I have just upgraded from a DeLonghi £50 machine to...”

Written on: 23/01/2004 by tcsr205 (21 reviews written)

I have just upgraded from a DeLonghi £50 machine to this Gaggia Classic. I was very excited about getting the Classic because I love the coffee making ritual so much. I'd heard it described as the Rolls Royce of coffee makers with talk of gold plated connections etc. I managed to get it for £240, which seemed like a pretty good deal. It arrived and I eagerly started to assemble it. This is where I started to get worried. I noticed that the drip tray cover was very badly finished. It had paint… Read Full Review

Tcsr205's Response to tcsr205's Review

Written on: 12/02/2004

Review update. I had to send my original machine back because the steam nozzle was leaking quite badly when the machine was turned on. It had always done so, but I had been thrown by a comment in the instructions about 'drips not being unusual on an espresso machine'. I decided that it was just too much though. It would half fill the drip tray in a few hours (meaning I couldn't leave the machine switched on for very long). I had bought the Classic from the Internet and as it weighs something like 20lbs I was dreading the postage cost for returning it. However, when I spoke to the company I'd ordered it from they convinced me to speak to Gaggia directly in case it was something simple. Gaggia were absolutely fantastic. They said that the unit was obviously faulty and that they would send someone out to replace it the next day. A new machine arrived at 8am the following morning! The courier took the faulty one away. Brilliant. The new machine does not leak at all, but it does still make the best domestic espresso I've ever had. Thanks Gaggia!

Guest's Response to tcsr205's Review

Written on: 05/06/2012

Currently I use Capresso-Jura Impressa J5 brewing syetsm. It's really expensive, yes. But this machine totally the greatest kitchen appliance I ever had. It can brew espresso, drip coffee, cappuccino..I definitely recommend Jura (Capresso) machines (not necessarily the one that I own, there are cheaper appliances). Quality always costs more. I also suggest BUNN coffee makers.It's really difficult to advise something since we don't know the funds you're ready to spend on your espresso-coffee machine

Eddy10's Response to tcsr205's Review

Written on: 11/05/2007

I've had my machine for 18 months worked brilliantly from day one, it's only limits is the coffee you use. I recommend Whittard of Chelsea strong roast coffee. 10 out of 10

232955_Ipdahly's Response to tcsr205's Review

Written on: 07/03/2006

The little piece of plastic goes inside your drip tray under the metal sheet with holes in it.

Brianb's Response to tcsr205's Review

Written on: 06/11/2004

I fully agree with this reviewer. I've had a Gaggia Classic Coffee for over 3 years, I managed to get the one with the metal badge not the transfer. It does make great coffee, espresso or cappucino, just whatever you want!
<br>As for the black plastic piece left over, I think this may fit under the drip tray metal cover. The one with the misaligned holes! Yes mine are misaligned too, a small kink in the pipe helps.