Marantz SR-940 Reviews

• Sound Quality

Marantz SR-940 - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Marantz SR-940

Marantz SR-940

“I have what I believe to be the Marantz gold series,...”

Written on: 31/08/2004 by NYourHead (1 review written)

I have what I believe to be the Marantz gold series, and I love it. The flawless sound it produces is rarely matched by any receiver I have heard. Receivers like this are the reason that actual CD Quality signals are preferred to those encoded into MP3's. Most receivers you can't tell the difference between MP3's and CD's but with this baby you can. It has oversized heatsinks, and weighs in at over 30 lbs. I think it is one of the best receivers Marantz have ever made. If I could change… Read Full Review

Mcintoshmaniac's Response to NYourHead's Review

Written on: 19/03/2013

I have an old Marantz Model 2252B I bought back in 1979 and it still works great. It weighs about 35 lbs. Stainless steel face with blue lights and a gyro tuning dial, I love it. It was my first stereo receiver I bought with my own money in high school. Granted it's nothing like my Mcintosh stuff, but it still sounds pretty good.

Marantz SR-940

“This Marantz SR 940 receiver is a 600 watt unit. The...”

Written on: 26/05/2002 by Huer. (1 review written)

This Marantz SR 940 receiver is a 600 watt unit. The speaker outputs on it are the screw type, and they are really nice. It lets you be nice and sure about your connections. There are only a few inputs. There are two tape inputs and outputs, a gold plated phono input and a CD/CDV input. The whole face on this thing is digital- all buttons, except for a bass, treble and balence slider- which I enjoy immencely. The audio quality of this reciever rivals, if not beats, my 1000 watt Sansui G-9700… Read Full Review

75574_Fitz.'s Response to 24862_Huer.'s Review

Written on: 25/02/2003

Totally agree, this is an awesome machine.

Greeds's Response to 24862_Huer.'s Review

Written on: 24/01/2005

For the review that called this a 600 watt amp. That may be what it draws but sure isn’t what it puts out. Same with your other one, 1000 watts in, not out. According to my scope, this puts out 67 watts with both channels driven into 8 ohms before it clips. One channel, 104 into 8 ohms. If you do the math, it doesn’t draw 600 either. Just my input. Enjoy the sound; the scope doesn’t hear a thing.

Joseph's Response to 24862_Huer.'s Review

Written on: 05/01/2004

I have the gold one. I really like it. I have the remote and it seems to work. Would you happen to have an owner's manual you could copy for me? I will pay you for your time and trouble. My work email is:
<br>joseph.vilardo@norstan.com
<br>Home:
<br>jvilardo@cox.net
<br>Thanks.

Kajguy's Response to 24862_Huer.'s Review

Written on: 03/01/2004

The Marantz SR 940 comes in three flavors Gold, Black and Silver. I own the Gold and Black models. It has a DC Amplifier that is good for 100 wrms/ch and has a built in timer. In addition to the sound quality, which is excellent, it also has a built-in timer, like the earlier SR8100DC, which allows that owners to set it to turn on and off at specified times each day. It also have three pre-set volume levels that can be activated from the remote control. This was Marantz's first remote controlled receiver.
<br>
<br>On the inside, it has huge heatsinks and a robust power supply.
<br>
<br>My only complaints are the plastic faceplate and that there is some residual hiss at very low levels. I picked my Gold one up on E-Bay for $33.00. The Black one cost me $76.00.

Joseph's Response to 24862_Huer.'s Review

Written on: 18/11/2003

I just found one of these at an estate sale, along with the equalizer, cassette deck, and turntable. They were a bit dirty, but seem to work. It came with no documentation. Any idea where I can find an owner's manual?
<br>Model SD 142 Cassette Deck