FreeSat Reviews

Summary

FreeSat is the new service brought to you from the BBC and ITV. Offering an alternative to Digital TV, Freesat will be a UK-wide digital satellite TV service which is totally free to viewers.

Are you an avid FreeSat viewer? Can you get clear reception in your area? Send us your Freesat review and let us know if this is a worthwhile alternative to DIgital TV!

FreeSat - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for FreeSat

FreeSat

“freeSat”

Written on: 25/09/2013 by Anteny (1 review written)

I certainly would not recommend Freese. However, if you are a company based in Luxembourg. This company does not pay its invoices to its dealers and installers in the Czech and Slovak Republic. It uses only small companies to install satellite television and then does not pay its obligations… Read Full Review

“The Real Deal!”

Written on: 19/05/2013

Since leaving my Sky package almost five years ago I have saved myself £1000 in TV bills. My Humax box did however crash this year but I was able to buy another one at half the price of my original one. Freesat has been terrific especially with the red button features on BBC which can be watched in HD. ITV is not so good a picture when watching catch up programmes but for me the best thing about my Freesat is that I can choose where I get my ITV from. I live in Scotland but I am tuned into… Read Full Review

“Scrapped Sky - never been happier!”

Written on: 03/12/2012

I had been looking for a decent replacement for sky for a while. I live in an area where digital coverage is poor and we have no access to cable so I thought the only option would be Sky. After very poor customer service and a hefty Sky bill each month that seemed to randomly fluctuate I decided to look at Freesat. I cancelled Sky and purchased a Bush Freesat HD box. Installation was a piece of cake! It just plugs straight into your existing satellite dish and after inputting your postcode you… Read Full Review

“Good if you don't want to pay sky”

Written on: 29/07/2012 by Malacath (4 reviews written)

Bought a freesat box after dumping sky. I live in an area where I can't get a decent freeview reception so this service is ideal. I get most channels available on freeview as well as some others that are not. Also you enter a postcode when setting up to make sure you get the correct tv region. The box I bought also has iPlayer and itv player support as well if you connect to the internet. Also has an optional movie service you can subscribe to… Read Full Review

Mallo02's Response to Malacath's Review

Written on: 28/10/2012

i live in ireland and all was working well on my freesat. but i had to do an intial installation again and now i need a post code.

“Few Freesat channels”

Written on: 17/05/2012 by deehcee (1 review written)

Although I live in a good Freeview area, 2 years ago I bought Humax freesat PVR,and Dish, cost me over £400, so I could get High Definition (over 3 years wait for Freeview HD !),and whilst the Humax box is great, the continued broken promises by Freesat over new channels is making me wonder if I did the right thing, as Freeview now has more HD channels !including ITV 2,3,4, even though Freesat is a joint BBC/ ITV project !! The higher bandwidth of freesat does give you an improved quality, but… Read Full Review

“Freesat. All you need”

Written on: 07/02/2012 by chaz500 (1 review written)

Its brilliant considering it came built in to my tv, it's slightly different to freeview(few more channels, more bandwidth for better picture quality) the hd channels are a bonus. BBC iPlayer came with an update to. I think 1 or 2 channels that are on freeview aren't available on freesat, I could be wrong though. Overall I'm very happy with it… Read Full Review

“bush freesat plus”

Written on: 29/01/2012 by kimfryer (1 review written)

complete waste of money, refuses to record chosen program, records random programs that we have not chosen,90% of the time it refuses to record unless you are actually watching what you want to record, which defeats the reason for having the useless machine, and when you try recording it tells you there is no signal when the program is on in front of you.. its poo. dont waste your money… Read Full Review

“Basically my freesat is the worst thing in the...”

Written on: 05/11/2010

Basically my freesat is the worst thing in the world!!!!!!! Most of my channels don't work and the picture breaks up all the time and i've tried resetting it loads, but upstirs on my other TV we i have Sky and freesat and it works perfectly but when i want to watch something on any ITV or 4 based channed it messes up and it makes me angry because i paid £50, at first it was really good, even bbc one doesn't work!!!! it is the worst thing i've ever bought and such a waste of money. Everyone… Read Full Review

Brains's Comment

Written on: 29/11/2010

I had the same problem, Bought a dish alignment meter from Maplins, Checked the readings which were low, Adjusted Dish to highest possible reading and now get all channels with no interference, Even in bad weather, may be worth checking you dish alignment

“this is a review off a freesat Bush BFSAT02SD i only...”

Written on: 10/04/2010 by jasonx1 (107 reviews written)

this is a review off a freesat Bush BFSAT02SD i only had it for 4 days so far . i brought this for the bedroom as my videosender boxes are playing up at the new house .. first off this is a sd version and not hd . i have sky hd downstairs . but a older tv upstirs so sd version is needed .. the new bush freesat box is basic just a power button on the front thats it no other buttons .. on the back off the box is just a one scart socket for tv only nothing eles so bewarn .. the setup up is easy… Read Full Review

“Bought a grundig freesat+ hd (500gb) box about a month...”

Written on: 04/02/2010

Bought a grundig freesat+ hd (500gb) box about a month ago and for free HD television it's excellent, although you don't get much choice (only itv and bbc) but to be honest it's far better than paying for an expensive sky package and for being FREE it isn't bad. You can also access BBC iplayer on it by plugging in an ethernet cable into the back which is again FREE. Sometimes the box has a mind of it's own and pleases itself if you flick channels to quickly or push it too hard, but on the whole… Read Full Review

“Forget all the hype regarding how many HD programmes...”

Written on: 28/12/2009

Forget all the hype regarding how many HD programmes you will access as these are very very few and so I am disappointed but ever hopeful it will improve. The electronic programme guide is poor and when accessed the current programme switches off. The movie channels are worse than poor and definitely B minus. On the positive side reception is excellent and I have the Humax pvr which makes recording a pleasure. All I can now hope for is that the promise of the promised increase in HD programmes… Read Full Review

Bevo's Comment

Written on: 12/08/2010

What was the Freesat device here?

“Got myself a Humax Freesat recorder about a year ago....”

Written on: 15/11/2009

Got myself a Humax Freesat recorder about a year ago. Well. Not impressed really. Can't get that many channels and if you take away the plus channels you're not left with a lot. Freesat promise new channels are coming soon, but they don't, and as for HD - not a lot there either. If FREESAT could just give us the same as FREEVIEW this would make this box a real winner… Read Full Review

“Unable to get Freeview properly due to signal problems...”

Written on: 03/11/2009

Unable to get Freeview properly due to signal problems so a local TV shop installed a dish and Goodmans Freesat box. Have had no problems since with sound or picture quality. Paid approx. £200 to include installation, set up and instruction. However, we were unaware that some other products are NOT compatible with Freesat ie. DVD recorder, which is NOT shown on website descriptions nor even on Sony's website. Now have recorder unable to use as retailer will not exchange. Did not ask the right… Read Full Review

Holcaster's Comment

Written on: 06/04/2010

I found this review helpful because...my parents also have difficulty getting freeview reception

“Have just replaced one Sky package I have with a Umax...”

Written on: 08/09/2009

Have just replaced one Sky package I have with a Umax foxstat HD box. I was really impressed with how easy it was to set up and how user friendly the programme listing screen and selections are to use, much better than the freview systems and comparable, if not better than Sky. The picture quality is fantastic even on a non HD TV.
I will now be changing all my Sky packages over to Freesat with an annual saving of £1008. The Freesat box will pay for its self in 6 months and I have the added… Read Full Review

“Just brought myself a humax pvr Freesat box from Argos...”

Written on: 18/07/2009 by garybrighton (3 reviews written)

Just brought myself a humax pvr Freesat box from Argos which cost me £288 which is a great buy and a one off fee and you dont have to pay a subscription like you do with Sky.
picture and sound quality is better then my skyhd box and easy to use and you have all the same features that you do with skyplus where you can record one programe and watch another and records a series link for you and gives you live pause and fast rewind which is much more smoother then skyplus and skyhd

i have just… Read Full Review

J75's Response to garybrighton's Review

Written on: 07/04/2010

I found this review very helpful because...I am thinking of replacing my freeview box with freesat due to reception problems.

Nemesisnadir's Response to garybrighton's Review

Written on: 07/08/2013

I dumped Sky about 3 years ago because of the ever rising cost and their appalling customer service and bought a Panasonic Freesat receiver to compliment my TV. Now I can record two Freesat channels at the same time, whilst either watching a third channel recorded earlier or one on Freeview. With Panasonic Viera Link, it's all so simple to use and FREE!!

“currently in process of cancelling my virgin tv...”

Written on: 30/04/2009

currently in process of cancelling my virgin tv account. I found many programmes repeated every month and sometimes twice in one weekend !!! then I thought why pay 49 quid a month for the use of a box where hd is on bbc, when I could have it free?. I now have top up tv for 9.99 giving me downloaded sky progs, and my hd and free channels on the freeesat box. my top up box also does what sky plus does. the cost? all in all £34.39 with my virgin phone and broadband.
this saves me15 quid a month… Read Full Review

“What a disappointment FREESAT has turned out to be. ...”

Written on: 17/02/2009 by JohnLy (1 review written)

What a disappointment FREESAT has turned out to be. The initial advertising 'blurb 'promised a HD service to rival SKY. I spent £300 on a Humax PVR HD and a lot more on a 1018p television set in order to obtain lots of HD programmes without having to pay the Sky HD premium each month. All the non-HD programmes on Freesat I could already obtain through my Freeview or very basic non-HD Sky subscription.
What do I get from Freesat? A daytime BBC HD channel showing nothing but HD previews… Read Full Review

Micko1952's Response to JohnLy's Review

Written on: 25/10/2009

I found this review very helpful because...it confirmed what i thought you cannot beat the big companies i:e virgin /sky nothing is free in this world

“It sets me free from the problems with standard...”

Written on: 12/10/2008 by brunnery (1 review written)

It sets me free from the problems with standard aerials. Freeview doesnt work well in quite a few areas so Freesat is ideal… Read Full Review

“This is a review of the Free Sat HD service with the...”

Written on: 24/09/2008 by Freeky (41 reviews written)

This is a review of the Free Sat HD service with the Humax foxsat-hd digital box ( £150)

Installation is easy, with the exception of the post code input (it refuses to accept correct ones, use London based code & it passes!!) Connections Are HDMI, component & composite on RCA & RGB/S-Video on 2xSCART plus spdif optical & analogue audio on RCA.. Note though that the HD only works on the HDMI as it gets disabled on the component during broadcast. Satellite signal input is on standard f-type… Read Full Review

Written on: 30/09/2008

A few points I missed from the original review. Many other boxes (Bush, Goodmans and Grundig) are in fact made by Alba & require a hack (2846) to access manual tune, this Humax box has Manual tune as standard within the menu, with this you can access all FTA channels on Sky, including an extra HD channel. The box provides a menu switch to toggle between the 'freesat' set & the 'manual tune' set. There is no EPG on the latter.
<br/>
<br/>This makes this box a good choice for EUROPEAN viewers as it provides access to the channels without the hassle of a FTA 'Sky' card. Though you want get channel 5 currently.

Written on: 04/06/2010

As a further update (June 2010)
<br/>
<br/>Channel 5 is now available as is a now permanent ITV HD channel, though with it annoying logo (or DOG).
<br/>
<br/>A bonus feature available now with the Humax is via the red button, you can select an I-Player option, allowing you to watch all those I-Player programmes without a PC and on your big screen instead of the tichy PC monitor. Of course you do need a broadband connection to use the I-Player service, just connect a LAN cable from your modem to the Humax box.

Leewasp's Response to Freeky's Review

Written on: 04/03/2009

I found this review helpful because...I am considering either Freesat or Freeview Humax PVRs. I have standard Virgin which is good but I want a digital TV recorder . I can receive satellite and terrestial signals so am interested in quality of both systems.

Written on: 30/09/2008

Another note to add:
<br/>
<br/>Although there is no ITV HD channel per say, when there is HD content available you get a 'press red for hd' option on the SD channel, pressing red then transfers you to the HD version, BUT again, not vastly better than the freeview version & the ITV HD logo is even worse than the BBC one, do they not know plasma's can burn??

“Picture quality on Freesat 1080i is excellent,...”

Written on: 05/07/2008 by Steve Deecars (1 review written)

Picture quality on Freesat 1080i is excellent, cancelled my SKY+ which was awful and never worked from day one. I'm using the Bush HD box from Argos which was a good deal £119 + free HDMI lead… Read Full Review