Dansai 952 (Tesco) Reviews

Dansai 952 (Tesco) - Ask a question now

Dansai 952 (Tesco)

“Got this after my 852 died after 11 and a half months...”

Written on: 02/02/2003 by Treboeth. (1 review written)

Got this after my 852 died after 11 and a half months of reasonable use, the 852 is a much better player (the 952 pixelates a lot and has a tendencey to skip on quite a few films, which played ok in the 852 and in my PC). Bought the original from Tesco and when they were informed that I had a problem they arranged a swap immediately but when the new 952 was delivered it was dead in the box so they had to send another!… Read Full Review

Dansai 952 (Tesco)

“I have tried playing VCD's that I have produced using...”

Written on: 03/09/2002 by Colin. (1 review written)

I have tried playing VCD's that I have produced using Nero 5.9. on my Dansai 952 DVD player - plays but corrupted pic and sound makes them not watchable. Same with SVCD's.
Mine says it plays VCD's but doesn't mention SVCD's.
I called Tesco helpline and just a call taker decided that I needed a chip or cd upgrade. She didn't seem sure what it was, but they are out of stock.
Has anyone else had this problem or aware of what the upgrade is.
Is it an upgrade for later models that didn't have VCD… Read Full Review

Wondawoman.'s Response to 36135_Colin.'s Review

Written on: 10/09/2002

I've just bought a Dansai 952 DVD Player from Tesco and am not 100% decided on whether to keep it. I really need/want it to be able to play VCD's but so far can't get them to work. I've trawled through various postings and it is apparent that the newer versions of this player can't play them :0( I would love some advice as to whether it's worth hanging on to as it's likely that something will be available soonish in the future to enable me to play them...or just cut my losses and take it back, get a refund and go get another. All comments/advice greatly appreciated. Many thanx

Dean622's Response to 36135_Colin.'s Review

Written on: 30/01/2004

you need to get a Pacific 1002w from asda only £37
<br>and it will play anything you throw at it and it looks good aswell

Magician.'s Response to 36135_Colin.'s Review

Written on: 10/06/2003

Any ideas as to what is the URL for this site to get the upgrade to allow the 952 to play VCD and SVCD?

92601_Baz.'s Response to 36135_Colin.'s Review

Written on: 27/04/2003

i myself have purchased the dansai 952 from tesco's and when installed was dissapointed that it would not play vcd nor svcd. I went on the web and downloaded some firmware to resolve the problem. plays both formats no problem. basically you download the file burn it on disk and follow the attached instructions and thats all.

82413_Jimbo.'s Response to 36135_Colin.'s Review

Written on: 23/03/2003

i have just purchased a dansai dvd player with instructions to make it multi region.If these instructions are of any use,iwill gladly forward them on.

Dansai 952 (Tesco)

“For the price the Dansai 952 is an excellent DVD...”

Written on: 02/09/2002 by Simon. (1 review written)

For the price the Dansai 952 is an excellent DVD player. I have tried DVD-R, DVD+R and DVD+RW disks and they all work, also plays VCD and SVCD and MPEG files with a bitrate of 6000 kbps… Read Full Review

Pmather's Response to 35981_Simon.'s Review

Written on: 15/08/2003

I have a 952 and it only intermittently plays -RW discs I have authored. Can I save an MPEG2 to the DVD and will it play video & sound through the Dnasai.
<br>Peter Mather

Dansai 952 (Tesco)

“The Dansai 952 has to be one of the best DVD players...”

Written on: 30/08/2002 by Twigster. (1 review written)

The Dansai 952 has to be one of the best DVD players about… Read Full Review

Dansai 952 (Tesco)

“i got the old verson of the dansai 952 can someone...”

Written on: 08/08/2002 by squish. (1 review written)

i got the old verson of the dansai 952 can someone tell me if it is macrovison please help me… Read Full Review

Dansai 952 (Tesco)

“I bought this Dansai 952 DVD player after having...”

Written on: 12/07/2002 by Colin Wilson. (1 review written)

I bought this Dansai 952 DVD player after having problems with a Dansai 1010 (remote control sensor was not in line with the "window", and it started to skip on a DVD intro when warm).

So far it's behaved itself, although my first impressions were bad - I saw a lot of artifacts / "cubes" in dark areas in one chapter of CSI (my only DVD :-}), although this does not seem to have been noticeable since - perhaps that one chapter suffers on all machines, or it's encoded badly.
The remote control… Read Full Review

Colin Wilson.'s Response to 30148_Colin Wilson.'s Review

Written on: 03/08/2002

Update to my initial post - it`s now another dead Dansai box - this time it`s making a "distressed" electrical sound along with the drive whirring away.
<br>
<br>Completely dead, no display, no remote control / front panel operation, DVD jammed in player.
<br>
<br>Managed to get the DVD out of it, and it`s back to Tesco for ANOTHER refund on a dead machine.
<br>Not impressed.

Dansai 952 (Tesco)

“I managed to get the older version Dansai 952 DVD...”

Written on: 09/07/2002 by Taddy. (1 review written)

I managed to get the older version Dansai 952 DVD player, you can tell this because on the front of the unit it has the VCD logo.
Newer versions don't have this logo so check the front of the unit.
Anyone know why Tesco have done this!!
Rate old version 10/10
new version 7/10… Read Full Review

Dansai 952 (Tesco)

“Just picked this Dansai 952 DVD player up from Tesco...”

Written on: 08/07/2002 by Stuart. (1 review written)

Just picked this Dansai 952 DVD player up from Tesco -I had a 1010 before which played every format thrown at it even XVSCD.....however the 952 I got plays nothing except DVD format!
Back to Tesco it goes!

PS. It would be a good cheap buy if you want a 5.1 DVD only player… Read Full Review

Dansai 952 (Tesco)

“I went into Tesco, Hatfield to buy a Dansai 852 and...”

Written on: 07/06/2002 by pmcx9. (1 review written)

I went into Tesco, Hatfield to buy a Dansai 852 and saw the Dansai 952 DVD player - guess its just the same internals with dolby 5.1

One gripe tho - my homemade VCD's start at about 30 seconds into film - I have to rewind and then play from beginning.

I have tried one CDrw burnt as NTSC VCD and it had problems decoding yet it played fine on my PC… Read Full Review

Dansai 952 (Tesco)

“The Dansai 952 DVD player does not do all the things...”

Written on: 05/06/2002 by genuine bloke. (1 review written)

The Dansai 952 DVD player does not do all the things the 852 can… Read Full Review

Dansai 952 (Tesco)

“What can I say, the Dansai 852 DVD player, OK for the...”

Written on: 05/06/2002 by PJ2002. (1 review written)

What can I say, the Dansai 852 DVD player, OK for the money?? OK multiregion, but now so are most, 5.1 decoder but sound output hissy, unit gets hot but then again, inside is a DVD ROM exactly the same as in your PC with no proper ventilation.
The biggest problem that I have found is that while playing DVD discs the unit hesitates noticeably, and even locks up while changing layers on the disc.
Oh, almost forgot the annoying Tesco helpline screensaver that, although the software says it can… Read Full Review

Dansai 952 (Tesco)

“The Dansai 952 is an excellent DVD player, slimline,...”

Written on: 03/06/2002 by Paul B.. (1 review written)

The Dansai 952 is an excellent DVD player, slimline, elegant and plays all formats I've tried....well worth the money, plus multiregionable.
Cannot go wrong with this player!… Read Full Review

Dansai 952 (Tesco)

“The Dansai 952 is Not Bad. Well, ok for the features...”

Written on: 02/06/2002 by jancolston. (1 review written)

The Dansai 952 is Not Bad. Well, ok for the features it has. You cannot get anything near it for the price. Supports all formats, as well as VCD (not on the box). Sound's good, pic is good, overall very good… Read Full Review

Dansai 952 (Tesco)

“This Dansai 952 is my first DVD player so to be fair,...”

Written on: 02/06/2002 by Lou. (1 review written)

This Dansai 952 is my first DVD player so to be fair, I have nothing to compare it against. I went into Tescos to buy an 852 but came out with the 952 due to its better looks and spec. One gripe is that it starts playing CDs from 38 secs. Not too bad as you can easily rewind to get to the beginning of the first track.

I was initially disappointed with the sound and picture when watching my first DVD (Depeche Mode - One Night in Paris) but talking to a few friends, I think it may be the DVD… Read Full Review

Dansai 952 (Tesco)

“The main reason for me buying a Dansai 952 DVD player...”

Written on: 31/05/2002 by Floaty. (1 review written)

The main reason for me buying a Dansai 952 DVD player was the sheer range of formats it played. MP3, CDR and CDRW, VCD (not mentioned on box) CD and DVD of course. The price was right and the built in Dolby Digital and DTS only sweetened the deal. Fortunately the player is region coded- defeatable via a handset hack I found on www.dvdreviewer.co.uk. I was dissapointed that after auditioning two machines from my local Tesco, it had a great job playing my (protected) Star Wars AOTC soundtrack… Read Full Review

27609_Floaty.'s Response to Floaty.'s Review

Written on: 13/06/2002

Well, a third machine proved to have identical faults (30+ second start, won't play my protected CDs without a lot of coaxing). I now have a Limit 8072 which seems to be excellent but almost half the price again. I'd still reccommend the Dansai to anyone if they can put up with the problems I have described.

Dansai 952 (Tesco)

“Apart from a little gripe about the quality of the...”

Written on: 29/05/2002 by PP. (1 review written)

Apart from a little gripe about the quality of the manual I cannot complain in the slightest with this Dansai 952 DVD player. A great buy for anyone buying their first DVD player. If you don't own a DVD player get down to Tesco's now before the sell out!… Read Full Review

Dansai 952 (Tesco)

“The new Dansai 952 DVD player has all the great...”

Written on: 22/05/2002 by CamperMan. (1 review written)

The new Dansai 952 DVD player has all the great features of the 852 but has the added bonus of a built in 5.1 decoder. Its more slimline than the 852,looks better from the front and the tray travels further out than the 852. The hack procedure is the same on all models including the 1010 and the 952 will play everything you throw at it well.
Don`t forget the 852, but welcome with open arms the 952!… Read Full Review