Rainton Gate Cattery, Durham Reviews - www.rainton-gate.co.uk

“Peace of mind”

Written on: 08/04/2014 by Soph1327 (1 review written)

After fretting for weeks about leaving my beloved cat in a cattery whilst the family had a short break, this place was a breath of freshair. My cat clearly was very comfortable during his stay and we received updates and photos during our time apart which was a lovely and reassuring touch. Owner is a fabulous woman who clearly adores cats and does her job extremely well. The chalets are great, plenty room, warm, damp proof and very very safe. Will definitely return to this amazing place again… Read Full Review

“We left our young Bengal with total trust - they...”

Written on: 06/04/2014 by immin (1 review written)

I was very impressed with the information on the cattery's website: they are an International Cat Care (ICC) listed cattery; all cats are given daily health checks and grooming; and their pens have a fully private section with heat lamps. Also, their Twitter account @RGLCH is updated regularly with photos of their boarding cats, and all look well looked-after and comfortable. After speaking with the owner over the phone and answering the very thorough range of questions about my cat, I felt… Read Full Review

“Jasper's home from home.”

Written on: 07/09/2012 by Jaspercat (1 review written)

Although not the cheapest cattery(you only get what you pay for)we feel quite happy to leave our lovely cat here when we go on holiday.It is spotlessly clean and he is well looked after-groomed and fed.He is always happy to go and never seems upset in any way.Beverly also puts a picture of him on Twitter so no matter where I am I can see how he is doing.I would not hesitate to recommend Raintongate to my friends… Read Full Review

“Our four pampered cats have holidayed at Rainton gate...”

Written on: 06/10/2010

Our four pampered cats have holidayed at Rainton gate several times over the last two years.I have no qualms about recommending it to anyone. There is an air of calm contentment among the cats. There is no unpleasant "cat" smell and certainly no cries for attention or of unhappiness from the feline residents.
I can only speak from my experience- I would not leave my cats anywhere that I was uncomfortable about. The owners really do seem to care… Read Full Review

Written on: 11/10/2010

Thank you for taking the time to add your review. As ex-customers ourselves, (not a lot of people know that,) we would not want our own customers and their cats to experience anything other than a pleasant, stress-free, clean, quiet and calming environment. We always hope, (you never actually find out of course,) that the cats who come to stay with us, apart from the "in-basket" experience of transfer, notice little change from the time they leave their home, until the moment they return.

“We left our beloved old friend at the cat hotel on our...”

Written on: 08/08/2010

We left our beloved old friend at the cat hotel on our way to as family holiday. That evening we recieved an aggressive phonecall questioning whether we cared for our cat and accusing us of mistreating him. We were most upset as he had entered the Kennels old but happy. He had obviously become stressed and poorly at the kennels and they had no idea how to care for him.

To recieve a phonecall that your family pet is sick is upsetting enough, when you are a distance away, but to be blamed and… Read Full Review

Written on: 30/09/2010

At RGLCH we can only accept a cat whose health is above a certain baseline. It was not immediately apparent in this case, although we were aware it was not fully fit, that this cat was below that level, and over the course of the day it deteriorated rapidly - clearly as a result of a change in environment.
<br/>
<br/>It became clear that the cat would require a level of care that a cattery would not be able to provide, and the owners were advised that it would be in the best interests of the cat if they made alternative arrangements.
<br/>
<br/>By the time the phone call to the owner was made, I was quite upset and had allowed myself to become angry as I was particularly concerned about the condition of the cat itself. The phone call was not the best for which I apologise. I do believe, with the benefit of hindsight, that we should have not accepted the cat in the condition it was in.
<br/>
<br/>We actively and willingly care for many many old and infirm cats including diabetics and the terminally ill. We comply with and maintain the veterinary-prescribed medication regimen whilst the owner is away. We do this gladly and without extra charge.
<br/>
<br/>The welfare of the cats which stay at RGLCH is of paramount importance to my wife and I, and is always our absolute priority. In this instance we did what was considered to be the best for the cat, subsequently at the expense of our relationship with the owner.

Written on: 16/10/2010

On reading this review again I would like to add that we love our cat and have done since we rescued him seven years ago.
<br/>
<br/>Our issue was not with the care given to our cat. It was with the over the top/ extremely aggressive phonecall we recieved!! Totally unecessary and hurtful to be accused of neglect and be called a 'bad' cat owner!
<br/>
<br/>As you can tell it still hurts now! I intend to leave this matter for others to decide upon. I only hope that hilighting the distress caused it may prevent others recieving the type of phonecall we got!

Written on: 16/10/2010

Unnecessarily rude and aggressive behavior did nothing to help our cat who is enjoying his twilight years. We will never leave our cat with anyone again after this experience.
<br/>
<br/>I do dispute the fact that our pet was in such poor health when we left him. He is simply an old cat!
<br/>
<br/>If you leave your cat here, you will probably have a much better experience than we had, provided it doesn't become ill.

“Its the first time we have used this cattery and we...”

Written on: 29/05/2010 by MaidMarionSunderland (2 reviews written)

Its the first time we have used this cattery and we went to inspect it before booking it. We were impressed and didn't hesitate to book our cats in. Charlie and Woo stayed here from 13th to 28th May 2010, they had a lovely view overlooking the garden and were able to relax as there were no barking dogs to bother them. When we went to collect them they looked totally relaxed and I was even surprised to see Woo lying on the waist high shelf looking out, she is a nervous cat and usually hides… Read Full Review

Rglch's Response to MaidMarionSunderland's Review

Written on: 14/06/2010

Thank you for your excellent review. We very much appreciate customers taking the time and trouble to rate us. Customer recommendations are one of our best forms of advertising and it must be a big help to others in deciding which cattery to use. We enjoyed caring for Charlie & Woo - a couple of very very nice cats. Best Wishes from all at RGLCH.

“fantastic accommodation for our pampered cat. very...”

Written on: 22/10/2009

fantastic accommodation for our pampered cat. very clean. our cat goes to stay on his hols 3 times minimum per year.would highly reccomend and have done.the owners are true animal lovers and try to meet all needs. very professional… Read Full Review

Written on: 08/12/2009

Thank you for your kind comments - it's always appreciated when people take the time to do this. We tend to treat our guests as if they are our own, which sometimes means we get a clip for being too familiar, most other times it means we all get on really well and everyone enjoys their stay!

“Rainton Gate Cattery is highly recommended. ”

Written on: 31/07/2008

Rainton Gate Cattery is highly recommended.
We use this cattery 3/4 times a year and our cat is very very pampered and he doesn't mind going as they are treated very well and the owners try to give them their special requests as much as possible… Read Full Review

“We have used this cattery for a number of years and...”

Written on: 26/06/2008 by bobbydobby (1 review written)

We have used this cattery for a number of years and although it is pricey compared with others in the area, my wife and I both disagreed with the review of 7th April. We haven't noticed any deterioration in the standard of care since the new owners took over, and they have continued a very high standard. I think prices seem to have gone up a lot recently but they do have to charge VAT - surely a sign of a business doing well - other people are obviously continuing to come back. We have… Read Full Review

Bobbydobby's Response to bobbydobby's Review

Written on: 27/06/2008

here here!

“We have been taking our cat to Rainton Gate Cattery in...”

Written on: 07/04/2008

We have been taking our cat to Rainton Gate Cattery in Durham approx. 3 to 5 times a year for the last 4 years. Initially the price when we started using it was about £8 a day which seemed reasonable for the excellent care and facilities provided by the previous owner, and often our cat would come home looking better than before she went in! Which was always nice to see.
However, with the change in owners approx. 2 years ago, the standard of care has in our opinion definitely gone down - not… Read Full Review

Bobbydobby's Comment

Written on: 26/06/2008

I disagree with this review because... we don't think there has been any reduction in standards - it's as good as if not better than it was before in my opinion.

Written on: 10/08/2010

I have to agree with the original review. I do feel the personal touch that the previous owner had has been a big loss to the business.
<br/>
<br/>In terms of reviewers not leaving their details, I imagine it has something to do with not wanting to recieve junk emails.
<br/>
<br/>If someone takes the time to leave a comment, I imagine it is because they feel strongly about an issue. Most people are busy and would only ever leave a comment to advise other customers in a similar situation.

Written on: 11/10/2008

Reply from RGLCH:<br/>We welcome all comments from owners. In reply to this review we would say that yes, our prices have gone up - within a year of taking over the cattery, our income increased to the point where compulsory registration for VAT became necessary. Clearly we were not about to accept a 17.5% drop in income and so this was unfortunately passed on to the customer. We should remind you that of course we did not receive any extra income from this price increase of course. When our prices go up each year, they increase in-line with inflation.<br/>If we are more expensive than other catteries in the North East, it is a fair reflection of the quality of service we provide, the excellent staff we employ, and the higher cost of the best and safest cleaning materials we use. The food we buy is the highest quality - go and have a look in Pets at Home - see how much a bag of James Wellbeloved costs! We also check and groom each cat EVERY DAY - at no extra charge.<br/>I feel that allowing people to leave reviews anonymously is pointless - how can other potential customers trust a review that someone is unwilling to sign?<br/>Finally - we say to all potential customers - go and look at a few other catteries first, before coming to us to compare. You don't need an appointment to visit - just turn up and we will be happy to show you around, (during our opening hours.)