EON Gas & Electricity - www.eon-uk.com Reviews

EON Gas & Electricity - www.eon-uk.com - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for EON Gas & Electricity - www.eon-uk.com

“Bullies”

Written on: 24/08/2016

Bullying standoffish and that was their complaints department. Had me in tears over their mistake. This was with how they spoke to me and dealt with me. Best thing I did was switching font see how a company is allowed to treat people this way. Just awful… Read Full Review

Written on: 25/08/2016

I'm sorry we upset you so much. Did we resolve the complaint? What was it about?

You don't have to leave things there. The complaint can be taken further. If you haven't already, I'd recommend sending it through to our Reviewers. They'll go over what's happened and look at how the complaint has been dealt with. They'll either offer an alternative resolution or uphold the original one. If necessary, they'll also give feedback to the advisor and their manager.

That's not the end, though. If you're still unhappy, we'll send you a 'Final Resolution Offer' letter and you can use this to go to the Energy Ombudsman for an independent review. The Ombudsman's decision is binding on us but not on you.

Don't feel as though there's nothing you can do. As we've upset you to such an extent, I'd certainly go down this route. There's more information on our website about how we look after complaints too.

E.ON Company Rep

“TO BE AVOIDED LIKE A PLAQUE”

Written on: 06/08/2016

I was with EON for over a year, I started off paying £23 a month for electricity only, then increased to £126 a month (for a 2 bedroom new built flat that I only use 4 days a week). Few months after EON increased my monthly payment I decided to switch company and after a careful calculation of my meter readings and my electricity usage I was due a refund. Did I mention a refund? ( wait for it )....after few phone calls to EON non-existent customer services, I was told to wait for my final… Read Full Review

Written on: 10/08/2016

Hello Guest. I'm sorry you're unhappy with the way the switch is going. Thought I'd pop on with a bit of information about what happens when a supply changes hands.

With energy switches, it's the responsibility of the new supplier to let the old supplier have the meter readings they intend to use to open their account. The old supplier will use the same readings to close their account. This stops the same energy being charged twice.

From what you've said, it looks like there's a large difference between the readings sent to us by the new supplier and the previous ones on your account with us. This possibly led to the bill of +£500. To put this right, I suspect what's known as an Agreed Reads Dispute (ARD) has been raised. This is an industry wide process used by most suppliers to agree start/closing readings between them. The account is then re-billed to these new readings. Possibly leading to the £202 you mention. I'd check our closing readings match the opening ones used by the new supplier. Although you're unhappy with this revised charge, if the readings match, it's likely the billing will be correct. It's just that you might be being asked to pay for more units than expected by us. This should balance out as the new supplier should be billing fewer units to compensate.

Also, as we increased your monthly payments from £23 to £126, there might already be an outstanding balance on your E.ON account. I suspect this increase may because previous payments weren't covering the ongoing usage. Anything outstanding when the account moves away will be included on the final bill. This may be giving a bit of an extra lift to the charges you were expecting.

I'd have a talk to your complaint handler about the final bill. It might be possible to set up an arrangement to pay this over a longer period. A formal payment plan will stop the follow up you've been receiving. This follow up will continue without a plan or payment in full.

I'm speculating a lot here and sorry if I'm wide of the mark.

E.ON Company Rep

“avoid these e.on new smart meters”

Written on: 03/08/2016 by 157Healy (1 review written)

e,on is passed a joke should have come to fit new smart meters on 13 6 16 they never turned up re arranged to be fitted today 28 6 16 , engineer turned up fitted the so called new meters he explained to us what we needed to do to top up credit, went to one post office they had no idea what i was going on about and had no facilities to credit these new smart meters, so i went to a second post office to see if they knew how to credit these new meters, they were exactly the same and didnt have any… Read Full Review

Written on: 10/08/2016

This sounds an absolute nightmare 157Healy and I'm sorry you're having so many difficulties. On the no show to change the meter (13 June 16), depending on the circumstances, you might be entitled to a payment under our Guaranteed Standards of Service. Ask your complaint manager about this.

It looks like you're trying to sign up to our Smart Pay As You Go scheme. I'm really sorry this is dragging on. Have we said why there’s such a long delay in fitting a Smart Pay As You Go Meter? I know they've proved popular and we've more requests than we anticipated when we first launched them. This is relatively new technology so thought it might help if I post a bit of information about them.

Once installed, as well as the Post Office, you'll be able to top up whenever you like by card through a smartphone using the E.ON app (only available on Android and Apple iOS7 or later devices), online or by using our automated Freephone service. You'll also be able to top up at shops or agents. Vouchers can be bought at Post Offices or retail outlets offering ePay. These can then be activated through the app, online or via the Freephone service. Also, you'll be able to move cash between the electricity and gas meters if needed.

There'll be a specialist complaint manager looking after this now but, if you're unhappy with what's happening or with the resolution offered, you can send this to our Review Team for a second opinion. If you're still unhappy, you can go to the Energy Ombudsman for an independent review.

Sorry again for all the problems 157Healy and hope this is of interest.

“Dishonest companyi”

Written on: 29/05/2016 by XavierGreer (1 review written)

Absolutely awful! I'm a student and moved in to a rented small studio flat.. Was given first bill that I felt was fair, then they said that I could pay £3 less per month if I paid by direct debit. When I left the property, I was hit with a massive final bill that doubled the cost of my usage that I was paying per month. Felt aggrieved so complained to e-on only to be told that it was based on estimated readings. I'm now footed with a big bill I am having to pay off monthly. What makes it… Read Full Review

Written on: 08/06/2016

Hello XavierGreer. Understand your frustration but may I ask a few questions please?

Totally appreciate there's lots to do when moving but were you able to let us have all the details, including meter readings, when you first moved in to your flat? You mention the first bill being fair but was it based on actual readings or estimates? Have you been giving us meter readings regularly? What tariff were you on?

Sorry for all the questions. Trying to figure out what went on. On the face of it, I suspect bills were estimated, possibly throughout your tenancy, and then you were hit with a catch up bill once we had an accurate reading. Guessing though.

You're right, paying with a Monthly Direct Debit is cheaper than other methods as they give lower daily standing charges. Saves about £35 per fuel per year. Payments are based on current prices and past usage. If we didn't have readings, it's likely we under-estimated your usage as we wouldn't have had a clear picture of what you were using. Regardless of the supplier, it's always best to give regular meter readings as this helps keep things accurate. I know you've moved out but was the final bill estimated too? If it was, it's possible to change it if you've a record of readings for the day you left. If not, perhaps the new occupier can help?

If the start and final bills are now accurate then you'll have used the energy but talk to us if you're struggling with the payment arrangement we've set up. It could be possible to spread the balance over a longer period. This will lower the monthly payments and might ease the strain a bit.

Sorry for all the speculation and if some or all of it is off track.

“Terrible!”

Written on: 26/03/2016 by DanielleCastillo (1 review written)

The only reason I had anything to do with these guys was because the estate agent who was handling my property rental had registered an account with them. There was a dispute over the final bill - they were charging me £25 for electricity over a four day period at a time when the house was completely unfurnished and unoccupied. To cut a long story short, I spoke to three people there and was told something different each time; in the end I was directed to pay a portion of the bill online, and… Read Full Review

Written on: 30/03/2016

Afternoon DanielleCastillo

I’m sorry you received mixed messages when you spoke to us. Did you or the estate agent contact us at the time of the changeover and let us have all the details? Did the final bill cover the right period? Sometimes, with rented properties, there’s a gap between the former tenant giving up responsibility and the new occupant taking over. This gap is often covered by the letting agent, landlord etc. If the dates aren’t right, we can alter them. Usually, all we need is sight of the Tenancy Agreement. Only the page confirming dates. Don’t need to see anything personal.

Also, was the final bill based on accurate meter readings or estimates? I know you say the property was unoccupied but, if we weren’t given details, it’s likely we’ll have used estimates. Again, this can be changed if you or the estate agent can let us have actual readings.

Even if there’s no usage, there’ll be daily standing charges. They won’t, though, be £25 for 4 days so I suspect we’ve estimated as above. We’ve a specialist Home Moves team who deal with this type of thing. These are the best advisors to speak to. Contact details are on our website.

Sorry for all the questions but hope this points you in the right direction.

Malc

“about bills and over charging”

Written on: 11/03/2016 by Moran109 (1 review written)

moved house 5weeks ago and it was eon who where the energy suppliers, never been with them before and after getting 3 bills in 5weeks and told we would be charged for energy used before we moved in the property would never use them or advise anyone to use them again. some of the staff at that you speak to are very rude and need to learn people skills. The first bill we got eon charged us £14.03 this was when we hadn't been at the property or had the keys (laughable) the 2nd bill was for… Read Full Review

Written on: 22/03/2016

Hey Moran109

Something's not right here. There's no way we should be charging you for someone else's usage. Did you contact us when you took over responsibility for the property? If you did, were you able to let us have meter readings for the day you took over? What usually happens is we close down the previous account and open a new one to cover usage from the changeover date. Meter readings keep things accurate.

Sometimes, a dispute crops up if the previous occupant/letting agent/landlord has information that differs from the new occupant. Sight of a Tenancy Agreement or Change of Ownership document usually sorts this.

I'm really sorry you found our advisors rude. There's no excuse for this. If you do have the above information, I'd have a word with our specialist Home Moves team. If you send them any documents confirming the date you took over, they'll be happy to make sure your account is set up based on these. They'll also rebill any estimates if you've actual meter readings. This will make sure we're only charging for the energy you've used.

Are the bills you mention based on actual readings or estimates? It could be we've already rebilled following an estimate and that's why the amounts look a bit odd. Only guessing though.

Sorry for all the questions but hope this points you in the right direction.

Malc

“Money grabbing vultures ”

Written on: 24/02/2016 by odDillon416 (1 review written)

Charged us £80 for three weeks gas and electricity, switched supplier and our bill is now £46 for a full month… Read Full Review

Hi oldDillon416

Was the £80 we charged based on actual or estimated meter readings?

If estimated and you can let us have actual meter readings, we'll be happy to rebill to these. Totally appreciate you've left us but, if you did have this information, we can still rebill and, if applicable, refund any over payment. If based on actual readings, though, it's likely you'll have used the energy and the charge could well be right.

Don't know if this applies but, sometimes, where we haven't had readings for quite a time, estimated bills are sent. Once we receive actual readings, a catch up bill is issued. If previously under-estimated, this can give a bit of a false impression as it appears to lump a lot of usage into a relatively short time. Where, in actual fact, it was used over a longer period. Best to make sure bills are based on actual readings as much as possible so as to avoid this sort of catch up.

I'm guessing a lot here, though, and sorry if I'm off beam.

Gdjusgjjrg's Comment

Written on: 01/03/2016

Thanks for the follow up Eon. We gave a meter reading when we moved in, the three weeks we were charged for is from then until we switched so is apparently accurate. Assuming the meter readings are accurate, it just shows how ridiculously high your charges are in comparison to our new provider who doesn't seem to be so intent on ripping us off and we're very glad to be rid of you.

Written on: 02/03/2016

You're welcome. Glad to follow up but sorry can't offer you anything here. As the bill's based on actual meter readings, it'll reflect the energy used.

I suspect you were on our standard prices as you were only with us for 3 weeks. We do have cheaper tariffs but these are all contracted fixed term products and we're not allowed to put customers on to these without their express permission. The standard plan has no tie-ins or restrictions leaving you free to change supplier without penalty.

Sorry I can't help further.

“Absolutely incompetent ”

Written on: 11/02/2016 by 1992Waddell (1 review written)

E On moved my gas supply in error when my neighbour tried to switch, even though I told them it wasn't me and not to move me and I thought that was that, they did anyway. I have just found out that my gas supply did get moved 5 months ago and that i haven't been paying my direct debit ever since. I have spend many hours on the phone and e mail and when I did get through the staff were all rude and unhelpful as though I am the one at fault. Now i have an outstanding amount to pay to them for… Read Full Review

Hi 1992Waddell

Replied to your other post about this below. Hope it's of interest.

“Absolutely incompetent ”

Written on: 11/02/2016 by 1992Waddell (1 review written)

Written on: 26/02/2016

Hi 1992Waddell

I'm really sorry you thought the advisors you spoke to were rude. This certainly shouldn't happen.

Sounds like this is what's known as an Erroneous Transfer. This is where accounts are taken over incorrectly by another supplier. We wouldn't have ignored your request not to let it go. We wouldn't have a choice as it would've have been taken out of our hands. If I might explain.

With an Erroneous Transfer, it's really important you contact the supplier who has taken over the supply first. If we try to re-take a supply, the other supplier usually rejects our request and claims to have a valid contract. Only you can dispute this as they won't listen to us. Especially where there's been a genuine mistake and they're not aware of a problem.

It will help if you can let them know the serial number from the meter itself (not from any bills or correspondence) and the full postal address. Serial Numbers are usually on a plaque on the front of the meter.

Once they've accepted a mistake has been made, the other supplier will be in touch with us to ask us to re-take the account. We'll then arrange for the account to come back to us as though it had never been away. This means it'll re-start from the date it was wrongly transferred. We'll re-start the billing from this date too. You shouldn't have to pay the other supplier anything. If any payments have been made to them they'll also be transferred to us. This is all usually done within 6 weeks from the time the other supplier is told.

At the end of the day, you'll only need to pay us for the energy used. The other supplier will cancel all bills and charges so you won't have to pay them anything.

Once an account leaves us, the Direct Debit is automatically cancelled and no further payments are taken. This can soon be re-instated once the account has been returned. If you no longer have the funds that were originally meant for the Direct Debit we cancelled, we'll be happy to look at setting up a payment arrangement to spread the balance over a more manageable period.

Sorry again you were unhappy with our advisors but hope this gives a bit of insight into what happens in these cases.

Malc

“Class action lawsuit is in order - CROOKED EXTORTIONISTS”

Written on: 22/01/2016 by Christian152 (1 review written)

I have suffered Eon for nearly 3 years. I moved into a social housing flat 3 years ago. Within months, Eon were bullying me daily with phone calls, emails and text messages telling me I owed them for arrears, even though I was paying them £40 to £60 per month every month. I tried to have a conversation with them via the phones, but they just kept talking over me and bullying me and insisting I owed them money, etc. I ended up in tears, distressed, and got CAB invovled. CAB managed to get… Read Full Review

Written on: 26/02/2016

Hi

I'm sorry we've upset you with our phone calls, texts, letters and emails. There might be something we can do to help with the arrears and stop this contact. We've set up the E.ON Energy Fund to help customers in similar circumstances clear part or all of their arrears. As you're a vulnerable customer, it's worth checking out. There's more information including an application form on our website.

Make sure the account is billed up to the latest meter readings. This way, we can be sure the amount owing is accurate.

If you're not eligible for help from the E.ON Energy Fund, there are other things we can do. I understand you're making regular payments and thank you for this but can I ask if you've a formal payment arrangement? A formal arrangement stops all of the follow up you've described. Even though you're making regular payments, unless they're part of an agreed arrangement, follow up will continue whilst there are arrears on the account.

We'll be happy to talk to you about payment arrangements. For example, a Monthly Direct Debit will cover the ongoing usage so the arrears don't continue to build up. We can also include the current arrears and spread these over a longer period. Customers paying this way also have lower daily standing charges. Will save you about £35 per fuel per year.

If you prefer to just clear the balance, we can look at an arrangement for this too. These can only be arranged by specialist advisors. If you ask to speak to Credit Operations, they'll be happy to help. With this type of arrangement, it's important to make the agreed payment by the set date. Missed or late payments will cause the arrangement to fail and follow up will start again.

Whilst talking, thought I'd also mention a prepayment meter where energy is paid for in advance. As you're a vulnerable customer this may not be an option but, if you're interested, they let us put the arrears on the meter to be collected at an agreed weekly rate. Helps spread the amount owing over a longer period.

Hopefully, the E.ON Energy Fund will be able to make significant inroads into the arrears. If not, please consider the above as they'll stop the contact that's upset you. Without a formal arrangement or payment in full, follow up will continue whilst there are arrears on the account.

Malc

“eon are bad - Bring back nationlisation! all is forgiven”

Written on: 05/01/2016 by 454Townsend (1 review written)

One star is over generous for this supplier. I would like to think that out there are suppliers who differ (please let me know). Our DD has just been recalculated, and we have been informed today that the increase will be £100 extra for the month with immediate effect. How can this practice even be legal? I can appreciate that usage was more and therefore an esitmate for future usage etc will be greater, but bearing in mind that the original calculation was eon's error there seems to be no… Read Full Review

Robert3142's Comment

Written on: 20/01/2016

I think you have made a fair summary of the situation !
Reading the reviews, Utility Warehouse seem to be quite good, many others (especially Cooperative Energy) are generally agreed to be terrible.

Written on: 25/02/2016

Hi 454Townsend

I’m sorry the response you received when you phoned didn’t help. Our Monthly Direct Debits are set up to achieve as near as possible to a zero balance by the time of the annual review. They’re based on usage and current prices. Where relevant, we’ll also include any outstanding debit balance and spread this up to the next review.

You mention an increase in usage and a mistake when the arrangement was first set up. Has this put the account in arrears? If it has, we’ll be happy to look at spreading the debit balance over a longer period, usually over a similar time to that taken to fix the mistake.

If you’ve registered with our website, you’ll be able to use the online Direct Debit Manager too. This gives you more control over the arrangement including being able to change the amount. Comes in handy should circumstances change. Provided the account is billed up to the latest meter readings, payments can be changed by up to 20 per cent up or down. By up to 5 per cent up or down without readings. Before confirming the new amount, we'll let you know by how much we anticipate the account will be in credit/debit by the time of the annual review if payments are changed but usage doesn't alter as expected.

You mention tariffs. We’ve currently three available. A variable product with no restrictions or exit fees and two fixed price tariffs (over one and two years). The fixed price tariffs are contracted products and, as such, we’re not allowed to automatically put customers on these without their permission. You can see and switch to these on our website though. Alternatively, we’ve a specialist team who’ll be happy to talk to you about the best deal for you. This is a different team to the one you contacted previously. I’d also pop your usage in kWh on to the independent comparison sites. These will list all the options available both with us and with the other suppliers.

Sorry again you were unhappy with the response from our advisor.

Dani_Cali's Comment

Written on: 22/01/2016

class action lawsuit against Eon is in order. A few years ago they were made to pay out 7.7 million for overcharging customers. they obviously havent learned a thing

“Worst energy suppliers ever!”

Written on: 08/12/2015 by Alits (1 review written)

What a pain this whole year with Eon has been. From a botched dual fuel switch, where they didn't actually managed to switch our supplies at the same time, requiring lots of chasing to get it right, and then the bullying phone calls to increase our monthly payments, only to find that we are in credit at the end of the year and didn't need to pay them as much each month, and finally when I ring to complain, a customer service system that requires me to sit on the phone for 5-7 minutes while an… Read Full Review

Eonhelp's Response to Alits's Review

Hi Alits

I'm really sorry you've had such a poor experience. To be honest, when changing supplier, it's not unusual for the electricity and gas to switch at different times. The way it works is that electronic messages pass between the two suppliers and certain third parties like the regional distributor, meter operator, meter reading agents, national databases etc. These messages let all those involved with your energy supply know about the changed circumstances. These third parties are very often different for the two fuels and react to the messages at different times. The switch itself takes about two and half weeks and we'll start supplying from the date advised on the paper work. It may, though, be a time after this before all the relevant information is in place and the account is fully up and running.

I'm sorry, too, about the difficulties on the phone. Monthly Direct Debits are set to spread energy costs over a year. The aim is to achieve as near as possible to a zero balance by the time of the annual review. They're based on current prices and past usage. If either changes, the payments will need to be amended as well otherwise the account will build up too much credit/debit.

To make sure you're on track for a zero balance, we review arrangements every quarter but, if necessary, will only change the amount at the mid-term and annual reviews. At the other times, we'll let you know if payments need to change but will leave it up to you to make any adjustments. Given the way energy use can vary, it's unlikely we'll exactly hit zero after 12 months so any credit balance over a fiver at this point is automatically refunded. Any debit balance is included in the ongoing arrangement and spread up to the next review.

Did you know you can take more control over the arrangement, including changing the monthly payments, through an online tool called the 'Direct Debit Manager?' Comes in handy should circumstances change. Provided you've registered with our website and the account is billed up to the latest meter readings, payments can be changed by up to 20 per cent up or down. By up to 5 per cent up or down without readings. Before confirming the new amount, we'll let you know by how much we anticipate the account will be in credit/debit by the time of the annual review if payments are changed but usage doesn't alter as expected.

As we've upset you so much, you're doing the right thing in going down the complaints route. You'll have a Complaint Manager who'll investigate and offer a resolution. If you're unhappy with the offer, you'll be put in touch with our Resolution Review team. This team will look at the complaint again both from yours and our point of view. They'll either uphold the offer or suggest an alternative. If you're still unhappy, we'll issue a 'Final Resolution Offer' letter so you can go to the Ombudsman for an independent review. Also, if the complaint's over 56 days old, you can go to the Ombudsman straightaway. No need to wait for a letter. There's more information about how we look after complaints on our website.

Again, I'm really sorry we've caused so much upset.

Dani_Cali's reply to Eonhelp's Comment

Written on: 22/01/2016

Eon - do you really think anyone on here wants to listen to your stories???

“I quit!”

Written on: 06/12/2015 by 391Vogel (1 review written)

I'm a pensioner living in sheltered accomodation, a 1 bedroom flat, I pay a monthly heating charge direct to my Housing association, so the only electricity I use is for things like lighting and hot water. I just received a letter from Eon telling me they had made changes to my Direct Debit, when I checked I found they had jacked up my monthly payment from £24 pm to £56. They gave me all the usual stuff about during winter months I will be using more electricity ... NO I WON'T, MY HEATING… Read Full Review

Hi 391Vogel

That's certainly a large increase. I'm sorry this has come as a shock. Thought it might help if I explain how our payment arrangements work and suggest a few things that could be of use in the future. Our Monthly Direct Debits are set to spread energy costs over a year with the aim of achieving as near as possible to a zero balance by the time of the annual review. They're based on current prices and past usage. If either changes, the payments will need to be amended as well otherwise the account will build up too much credit/debit. At the annual review, any credit over a fiver is automatically refunded.

Were the previous payments covering your usage? If payments weren't covering the usage, a debit balance will probably have built up. Any debit balance will have been included in the new amount and spread up to the next review. This will cause an increase until the balance is cleared.

Has your tariff changed recently or is about to change? Quite a few of our fixed term tariffs have been coming towards the end recently. If you're on one of these, you may have been on discounted prices. As they come to an end, payment arrangements will be reviewed based on new, more than likely, higher prices. Again, this will cause an increase in the monthly amount.

So, what can be done? We've other tariffs available that might be a bit cheaper than the prices you're currently on. Have a look at our website. All our current deals are on there. I'd also pop your usage in kWh on to the comparison sites. This will list all the options available both with us and with the other suppliers.

If you've registered with our website, you can take more control of the arrangement, including altering the payments, through a tool called the 'Direct Debit Manager.' Comes in handy should circumstances change. Provided the account is billed up to the latest meter readings, payments can be changed by up to 20 per cent up or down. By up to 5 per cent up or down without readings. Before confirming the new amount, we'll let you know by how much we anticipate the account will be in credit/debit by the time of the annual review if payments are changed but usage doesn't alter as expected. There's more information about Direct Debits and the Direct Debit Manager, including a short film, on our website. It's under 'Help and Support.'

Long term, a good way to save money is by saving energy. When you've a minute, have a look at the 'Energy Saving' pages on our website. There are some great tips to help cut back on the amount of energy used.

Have you heard about the Energy Company Obligation (ECO)? This is a Government led scheme that aims to cut usage by providing help with energy saving stuff like loft and cavity wall insulation. There's more information on our website about this too. Also, as a pensioner, do you know if you're eligible for Warm Home Discount? Not much help this year, I know, as applications are now closed but might be of use for 2016/17. Last year it was £140 so worth a look.

Before I go, thought I'd mention our Rewards scheme. This lets you earn up to 1500 points each year. These can be exchanged for either Tesco Clubcard points or High Street Shopping Vouchers. It's free but you'll need to opt in to earn points. This can be done online too.

Sorry for going on 391Vogel and if I've told you stuff you already know but hope it's of interest.

Disgruntled72's Comment

Written on: 05/01/2016

i have had a similar experience as 391Vogel only our increase was £100 extra a month! Although I appreciate your explanation, i would further a appreciate an "no nonsense" approach to tarifs. Why are there so many different tarifs? why can't there be one tarif, a fair price for electricity. Ever since utlitlies have been privitised the public (sorry consumer) have been sold the lie that we are better off because we have "choice". I don't want choice i want fairness. When i called your customer helpline the person on the other end might well have been a machine as all she did was read from a screen and did not eve attempt to listen and understand in a cognitive manner. Maybe you can add "applied intelligence" to your training programmes. Seriously considering moving. the idea that any new direct debit is only given 10 days notice is abhorrent, most people get paid in monthly cycles and any other invoice is given a 28-day notice period, yet the sheer greed that dominates all utility companies makes this possible. If only your service was so exact.

Written on: 03/03/2016

Hi Disgruntled72

Glad my explanation about our payment arrangements was of interest.

Fully appreciate you're looking for a specific type of energy arrangement but not all customers want the same thing. We're only allowed to offer up to 4 tariffs to credit customers. We give a choice because different customers tell us they want different things. Some want the relative certainty and peace of mind of fixed price contracts. Others want the flexibility of being able to move between tariffs/suppliers with little or no restrictions. Even customers favouring fixed deals want the choice of fixing for different lengths of time. This is why we're currently offering 1 and 2 year fixed deals.

Our current 2 year fix starts off more expensive than our other tariffs but guarantees not to change either the daily standing charges or unit prices per kWh for a full 2 years regardless of what happens in the energy market. Many customers opt for this type of assurance and, in all likelihood, will save money in the long run if they stay on the tariff for the full 2 years.

Whenever we set up or change a Direct Debit, customers are protected by the Direct Debit Guarantee. This is offered by all banks and building societies that deal with these types of payment arrangement. Customers must be told of any changes to the amount, date or frequency of payments at least 10 working days in advance. If we fall down on this or make mistakes with the arrangement, customers are entitled to a full and immediate refund from the relevant bank or building society. Direct Debits can be cancelled at any time through the bank, building society or us. The efficiency and security of Direct Debits is monitored and protected by the customers own bank and building society.

I know this isn't what you want to hear but thought it best to let you know how we look after Direct Debits and tariff choices.

Jde_56's Comment

Written on: 05/01/2016

You guys at Eon are always apologetic but I'm sorry it does not work for me any more, even your own Eon energy adviser who visited my home could not figure out why my bills were so high, anyway like I said after many years with Eon I give up, I've switched my supplier.

good riddance!

Written on: 03/03/2016

Hi Jde_56

Whilst you were with us, were we billing to actual meter readings or estimates? If actual readings then this should've been an accurate picture of what you were using.

Now you've changed supplier, has there been any marked differences in your usage? Billing is based on a daily standing charge and usage at an agreed price per kWh. If you were on a fixed tariff, prices would've been held for the duration of the agreement. In these cases, it's usually changes in the amount of energy being used that influence billing.

If you let me have a bit more information, I'll do my best to explain in more detail.

“EVEN IN DEATH”

Written on: 27/11/2015 by electrify (1 review written)

I'm a E-ON customer and also a fit's customer -but can they get it right NO the information goes in one ear and out of the other -they can mess up the smallest problem and make mountains from mole hills. A friend recently died and his partner had all his affairs to sort she tells me by far the worst of it was dealing with E-ON most others were no problem but not E-ON they cause more problems I sympathized as I never get anything but problems from this lot… Read Full Review

Eonhelp's Response to electrify's Review

Written on: 04/12/2015

Hi electrify

I'm sorry dealing with us hasn't been very smooth. I'm sorry, too, for the loss of your friend. I do understand this is a difficult time and we've a dedicated area to look after accounts where there's been a death. The Bereavement Support Team is there to help relatives and executors sort things out. Do you know if your late friend's partner spoke to this team? If not and there's still things to sort out please ask her to contact them. There's more information including contact details on our website. They're open from 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday and between 8am and 6pm Saturdays.

We also work with an independent company who are probate and executor specialists. They're all trained grief counsellors sensitive to bereavement issues. If it would help your late friend's partner, we can put her in touch with them.

You mention other difficulties. Is there anything specific I can help with? If the problems are with the FIT scheme, we've a specialist area for this too. We've advisors dedicated to all things FIT. They're available from 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday and between 8am and 4pm Saturdays. There's more details about our FIT services on our website. You can register your FIT account online too. Through this, you can send us your meter readings as well as being able to see your statements and generation history.

Our website also has online forms for both Bereavement Support and FIT. If preferable, these can be used instead of phoning. Sorry again for the difficulties you've had electrify. Let me know if I can help as happy to do so.

“(disallowed word)s”

Written on: 01/10/2015

ANSWER THE BLOODY PHONE! Avoid this lot like you would Asbestos. When they disallowed word something up, and they probably will, you will spend hours of your time on hold waiting for them to answer the phone and they still wont sort it. … Read Full Review

Written on: 12/11/2015

Sorry for the really late reply. Just noticed this review. Hopefully you've made contact now. Have we resolved the issue? What was it about?

We definitely had difficulties earlier this year with long call waiting times so took various measures to make this better. This included taking on more advisors and looking at our internal systems to make things more efficient when customers needed us. It's taken time but call waiting has steadily improved as we've gone through 2015. For instance, as I write this (9.30am), there's a call waiting time of less than a minute in our Residential Contact Centre.

We've also revamped our website and included lots more information so customers don't always need to phone. There are tools on the website to help too. These include the 'Direct Debit Manager' where customers can make changes to their payment arrangements to better suit new circumstances. Other online services include giving meter readings, paying bills and changing tariff. Payments and meter readings can be sent through our Smartphone App as well.

Where the information/tools don't sort a query, we've improved the 'contact us' pages by updating the phone numbers of specialist teams like Prepayment, Home Moves, Smart Meters etc. Going directly to a team saves contacting the Call Centre and then having to be transferred to another area. There's also a form to email a query. We're on Social Media too. You can contact us through our twitter and Facebook channels. Our social teams are available from 8am to 8pm weekdays and between 8am and 6pm Saturdays.

Sorry again for long wait but hope this shows we've taken the problem seriously and are actively doing something about it.

“High monthly payment”

Written on: 20/09/2015

Hi I have been advised by EON I have to pay 122 pound a month electric payment??????i have had no heating on all summer how can I use this much electric I a 2 bed studio flat no dishwasher ?????… Read Full Review

Written on: 25/09/2015

Hi

Totally realise how these proposed increases can seem difficult to understand. Just need to ask a few questions. Have you been billed up to date using accurate meter readings or have estimates been used? If estimated, let us have up to date readings and we'll be happy to rebill the account and review your payments.

Even if the last bill is accurate, have previous bills been estimated? Sometimes, in these cases, a catch up bill can add charges following some under-estimated bills. This can give a false impression of usage.

Is there any debt on the account? If there is, this will be included in the ongoing payments and spread up to the next review. Again, this will ratchet up the monthly amount. Thought it might help if I give you some information about how these arrangements work. Sorry if you already know this and I'm trying to teach you how to suck eggs.

Energy usage changes during the year and you'll probably use more in winter than summer. A Monthly Direct Debit spreads this cost over the year. The amount is based on current prices and usage. If either changes, the payment will need to be amended as well otherwise accounts will build up too much credit/debit. The aim is to achieve as near as possible to a zero balance by the time of the annual review. At this point, any credit over a fiver is automatically refunded. Any debit is included in the ongoing arrangement and spread up to the next review.

To make sure accounts are on track, we review arrangements quarterly. Any changes, though, will only be made by us at the midpoint and annual reviews. At the other times, we'll let you know if payments need to change but leave it up to you to make any adjustments. I suspect your account is at either the halfway or annual stage.

If you've registered with our website, you can take more control over the arrangement, including altering the payments, through an online tool called the 'Direct Debit Manager.' Comes in handy should circumstances change. Provided the account is billed up to the latest meter readings, payments can be changed by up to 20 per cent up or down. By up to 5 per cent up or down without readings. Before confirming the new amount, we'll let you know by how much we anticipate the account will be in credit/debit by the annual review if payments are changed but usage doesn't alter as expected. It's a great way of keeping on top of the arrangement.

Sorry for all the questions. Trying to understand what's happened here. Hope the other information's of interest.

Kingventor's Comment

Written on: 03/12/2015

I sympathise! Having recently received a letter from EON saying my monthly debits were going up by £109 per month, it turned out their calculations were based on ESTIMATED readings !! I seriously advise you to look into this & check that this is not also your case. When I challenged this amount, the £599 bill they said I owed them was immediately cancelled, and I went into £25 credit !!
I have since had it in writing from EON that they don't consider themselves obliged to,read your meter more than once every TWO YEARS !! A person can rack up a HECK of an overpayment from estimated readings in two years!
Take my advice, make sure your £122 bill is not based on a wildly inaccurate ESTIMATE !! After all, it would hardly be the first time for EON...

Kingventor's Comment

Written on: 08/12/2015

Sorry guys, I've now noticed that I typed £599 (see above comment) instead of £566.

In fact, to be precise the total amount that EON claimed I owed them was £566.98 ! They have since agreed to compensate me with £100 for the year and a half that I have had to spend trying to figure out the cause of their mistakes by myself, since none of their so-called "Resolutions Managers" -- (and don't they have a lot of those!) -- seemed to be clued-up enough to get to the bottom of the matter themselves.

But now I'm refusing to accept this financial compensation unless they also get a person in authority to assure me that they will stop calculating debt, and/or putting up customers' direct debits, on the basis of two or more consecutive Estimated readings.

IS ANYONE ELSE WITH ME ON THIS ??

Written on: 11/12/2015

Morning

I hope my post yesterday shows our commitment to keeping estimated bills to a minimum. We will, though, continue to use estimates where we're unable to obtain actual readings. This flags up to customers that charges are estimated and, hopefully, prompts them to contact us with up to date readings. We'll then rebill accurately. Regular payments, even against estimates, also help keep arrears down and limit the number of large catch-up bills once readings are received. If there is a catch-up bill, we'll be happy to look at setting up a payment arrangement to spread the balance over a more manageable period. Usually, this is about the same length of time as the bills were estimated.

Where we hold a good history of the usage at properties and circumstances are relatively unchanged, estimates can be quite accurate. I totally take your point, though, that where this history isn't available or circumstances have changed, they can be wide of the mark.

I'm sorry you're unhappy with the resolution offered by one of our Complaints Managers. Have you spoken to our Review Team? If not, this is the next stage along our complaints path. They'll look at the complaint again both from yours and our point of view. They'll either uphold the offer already made or suggest an alternative. After this, if you're still unhappy, we'll let you have a 'Final Resolution Offer' letter so you can go to the Ombudsman for an independent review. Although, if the complaint is over 56 days old, you can go to the Ombudsman now. No need to wait for a letter. There's more information about how we look after complaints on our website.

Sorry again you're unhappy with the resolution offered and hope this helps point you in the right direction.

Written on: 10/12/2015

You're absolutely right Kingventor. It's always best to use actual rather than estimated meter readings. This helps keep the billing and payments accurate. We do attempt to read meters but are always happy to accept a customer's readings. In fact, we'll happily rebill any estimated account if a customer lets us have their readings. Thought it might help if I explain what we do at the moment and some of our future plans to help improve this service.

It's right that, by law, we need to check meters once every two years. This is to make sure they're safe and recording usage correctly. To help bill accurately, though, we attempt to read meters much more frequently. In the majority of areas, for residential customers, we now attempt to read them once every 6 months. We've other things in place to help increase the accuracy of our billing and improve the service we give.

For instance, we're currently rolling out Smart Meters across the country. These meters send readings directly to us via electronic messages. Takes away the need for customers to read meters or reps to visit except, that is, for the 2 year safety call. They're free but aren't available everywhere yet. Availability depends on things like the area, current metering set up and strength of the mobile phone signal. We are, though, looking to be in a position to be able to offer them to all our customers in the next few years. If you're interested, you can register an interest now. There's more information including a registration form on our website. It may be we can fit one now. This will stop a similar situation happening in the future.

There are various channels customers can use to send us their readings. As well as phoning them in (8am to 8pm weekdays and 8am to 6pm Saturdays), customers can send them through our website, by text, email, letter or through our mobile phone app. If it helps and provided they've registered with our website, they can also create their own bills online through a tool called 'Real Time Billing.' Here, when readings are entered, customers have a choice of seeing the balance that would result or creating a bill to those readings. If they go for 'request a bill' they'll be able to see this online within 24 hours. It's a great way of keeping on top of things.

There's another online tool to help make sure all's going well and to give customers more control over their payment arrangements. It's the 'Direct Debit Manager' I mentioned above. Just to confirm, provided customers have registered with our website and the account is billed up to the latest meter readings, payments can be changed by up to 20 per cent up or down. By up to 5 per cent up or down without readings. Comes in handy should circumstances change. Before confirming the new amount, we'll let customers know by how much their account will be in credit/debit by the time of the annual review if payments are changed but usage doesn't alter as expected.

The two year obligation you were told about applies in extreme cases and usually where we can't gain access to meters. Before this point is reached, we'll write to customers asking them to contact us so a visit can be arranged. This is free and we'll look to make an appointment at a mutually convenient time.

As well as helping customers, accurate readings also benefit us when we're assessing how much energy we'll need to meet future demand. All in all, the more actual readings we have, the better it is for everyone. I'm sorry you had such a bad time with your bills Kingventor but I hope this shows our commitment to taking as many actual readings as possible.

“Terrible service”

Written on: 25/08/2015 by lvPeck271 (1 review written)

I have been with Eon for more than 7 years and during my entire period the service from Eon has been awful and to cap things off when I switched to Ecotricity Eon made the process awkward. The final straw was Eon's use of Indian call centres though the Indian people on the line are extremely reluctant to admit it is an Indian call centre. What a relief to be with Ecotricity now where I get good polite prompt service. Not the cheapest but worth the extra. Only now do I realise how bad Eon… Read Full Review

Written on: 28/08/2015

Hi IvPeck271

I'm really sorry you've been so unhappy with our service for such a long time. Was there anything in particular that upset you? What did we do to make your switch awkward? We're always keen on feedback, both good and bad, as it helps us improve.

All our Call Centres are based in the UK and I can definitely confirm our advisors comments that you weren't speaking to someone in India.

Sorry again we've upset you.

“Terrible Customer Service”

Written on: 03/07/2015 by mozz1967 (1 review written)

E on worst customer service if I can get just one person to think twice about using this company who is based in Germany and there customer service rated one of the worst and I'm here to tell you it is and if you complain or say the wrong thing like take out your service from my house or I will they phone the police and waste valuable police time they are a disgrace and just want to get as much money out of us as possible Try another company be warned.. … Read Full Review

Eonhelp's Response to mozz1967's Review

Written on: 08/07/2015

Hi mozz1967

I'm sorry we've caused you to feel this way. How have we managed to upset you so much? We've set procedures and advisors who deal exclusively with complaints. They'll look at your account and go through your particular concerns. At the end of the review, they'll offer a resolution. If you reject this, another advisor will take a second look to see if anything can be done differently. They'll either uphold the original resolution or offer an alternative. At this point, if you're still unhappy, you can go to the Energy Ombudsman for an impartial review.

I hope this helps point you in the right direction mozz1967. There's more information on how we handle complaints on our website too.

“GREAT CHAT”

Written on: 31/03/2015 by mr_bars (1 review written)

I spoke to someone today to pay any out standing balances, he gave me quite a shock when he told me the bill. He broke the down in a good and understanding way. He was very patient with me has I did put him on hold for a bit. Cut a long story short, this guy VERY GOOD at his job. I want his team leaders/managers know that. It was good talking mate, have a good day, … Read Full Review

Eonhelp's Response to mr_bars's Review

Written on: 22/04/2015

Hi

It's good to hear you were pleased with the service you received. Thank you for taking the time to write this review. If you know the advisor's name, I'll be happy to pass on your comments to him and his manager. If you prefer, you can send the details to me.

Thanks again for the review and have a good day.

E.ON Company Representative

Eonhelp's Response to mr_bars's Review

Written on: 22/04/2015

Sorry mr_bars, should've added, you can take away the shock element by keeping an eye on the billing through our website. If you register the account online and enter meter readings, you'll be given the option of seeing the balance that would result or issuing your own bill to these readings.

Provided the account isn't in the billing window (14 days either side of the next bill date for quarterly customers), you'll have this option each time you enter meter readings. Helps you keep track of how much you're using so no sudden shocks. Readings entered inside the billing window automatically result in a bill. The date of the next bill can also be found online once logged in.

Hope this is of interest mr_bars.

E.ON Company Representative

“Terrible, Avoid at all costs”

Written on: 26/03/2015 by Jonathan141 (1 review written)

From day one I experienced awful service from this company. Switching energy providers should not be that complicated. Eon had, upon opening a new account, taken down my details wrong. Opened my account in the wrong flat, even after numerous times being informed we were in fact an upper flat, they put our details down as a ground floor flat. This meant that this flat was already registered to EON. living alone, receiving bills for a family of 5 living beneath me. I am 22 years old and felt as… Read Full Review