BMW 5 Series 520i SE Reviews

BMW 5 Series 520i SE - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for BMW 5 Series 520i SE

BMW 5 Series 520i SE
BMW 5 Series 520i SE

“the car is awsome and that the leather is so clean and...”

Written on: 27/10/2009

the car is awsome and that the leather is so clean and neatly finished vs american cars also that the engine is really strong and nice and silent the thing what i dont like is that the built in tv screens are bulcky and not in the seat which would be alot better. but all the rest is nice aspecially the radio system and on wind shield speed and navigation… Read Full Review

“Handling on the BMW 520i is good, and the styling is...”

Written on: 06/10/2007 by Rogerz130 (1 review written)

Handling on the BMW 520i is good, and the styling is appealing. I had transmission problems with mine. It was replaced and now two and a half years later Trna, fail-safe light keeps coming on. Not bad overall… Read Full Review

“The BMW 5 Series 520i is totally reliable but for the...”

Written on: 13/06/2006 by RussellLawrence (1 review written)

The BMW 5 Series 520i is totally reliable but for the thermostat. Why do BMW let this kind of thing happen?… Read Full Review

“I have just sold this BMW 5 Series 520i SE but it had...”

Written on: 17/05/2006 by dizzyfizzy1 (32 reviews written)

I have just sold this BMW 5 Series 520i SE but it had done 207,903 miles when it went. I did 55,000 of those mile hasstle free. It was a bit thirsty on fuel around town (19 - 24mpg average) but was great on a run doing 36 - 38mpg at 80 - 90mph. The engine had a lovely sound to it and it was probably the most comfortable car I have ever owned and driven (and I know a comfy car as I used to work in car sales). The servicing is expensive on these, expect to pay around £400 - £500 on a magor… Read Full Review

“The BMW 5 Series 520i SE 2.2 is very nicely built and...”

Written on: 06/05/2006 by wilkie 2006 (1 review written)

The BMW 5 Series 520i SE 2.2 is very nicely built and comfort is good. Better than the 3 Series I had, ride handling is less than the 3 Series as weight is bigger in the 5 Series… Read Full Review

“Got this new - pre-face lift 520i model. BMW were keen...”

Written on: 14/02/2006 by datco (4 reviews written)

Got this new - pre-face lift 520i model. BMW were keen to offload it before the new model came in. It was a leased car (thank god!) as all repair costs and issues were borne by BMW.

Broke down 3 times in first 18 months - engine overheating after 6k miles - faulty thermostat, 3 cylinders blew after 18k miles, and engine management light came on after 29k miles - BMW were never specific about what was wrong, but took the car away on a truck for 2 weeks!

Also very heavy on tires - 2 full sets… Read Full Review

“Over all the BMW 520i SE (E39) is an excellet car, not...”

Written on: 06/11/2003 by Brian001 (1 review written)

Over all the BMW 520i SE (E39) is an excellet car, not quick of the mark but will return 40 mpg at 70ish mph if left to the cruise control. It handles very well and only feels a bit big when parking in a narrow space, but the parking sensors are very acurate.
My car has the xenon headlamps which seem a bit dim on dipped beam… Read Full Review

“I have a 5.23i 1998. Bought secondhand with 70,000...”

Written on: 22/08/2003 by grafit (1 review written)

I have a 5.23i 1998. Bought secondhand with 70,000 miles on the clock. Now 1 year later with 109,000 miles on the clock, I am still very happy with the car and am glad I moved up to this marque.

I have replaced the headlamps with the newer versions (Clear and have 'angel eye effect'), and this has transformed the look of the car - it now looks just like the new models.

I like 'good sound' and found that the BMW stereo was not good enough. To get a decent amount of bass you need to put a big… Read Full Review

“The 528i is a car that brings out the boy in a man. I...”

Written on: 30/06/2003 by Richard. (1 review written)

The 528i is a car that brings out the boy in a man. I never thought a car would make driving so fun. The slogan the ultimate driving machine is accurate. I would not reccommend the car to someone who has to finance it. The cost of repairs will run you about $200.00 a month when averaged out. I say this but my brother who has an identical car to mine has never had his in the shop. Every time I take it to the mechanic I tell myself to sell it. Yet, when I pick it up and drive it home I fall back… Read Full Review

“I have owned two beemers, 1 x 3 series 1x5, Servicing...”

Written on: 21/05/2003 by Max Brown. (1 review written)

I have owned two beemers, 1 x 3 series 1x5, Servicing on the 5 is cheaper than the 3, Any problems i have had with it have been minor, Ie Rattles and rear door seals. These have all been sorted Free of charge by the dealer.
All in All I really cant fault the car… Read Full Review

“Have had an 1997 BMW 520 and already it has had its...”

Written on: 13/08/2002 by Del. (1 review written)

Have had an 1997 BMW 520 and already it has had its engine block replaced and now find that these cars need a new clutch after only 50-60,000 miles. Also had to have the boot lock replaced, light blubs, door handles etc etc and that is with a fully serviced BMW specialist garage. I'll be sticking with the Japs in future… Read Full Review

Rowan1's Response to 33059_Del.'s Review

Written on: 12/09/2003

I have a 96 523 with 52k on the clock with a FSH which I have owned for 9 months now, and I've had just about enough of this pile of manure. Oh yeah it drives great on a country lane but I live in a city and every month something expensive goes, air con, alternator, wheel bearings, brake discs and so on....
<br>
<br>I too am looking japanese!

Paulson1000's Response to 33059_Del.'s Review

Written on: 21/03/2009

I havea BMW 520I SE 1994 and apart from changing some things the car has been extremely reliable, never failing to start, it is not a pile of manure, it is a fantastic drivers car of quality construction. I was so impressed with it I just got another BMW a E39 model which I too have found excellent. Overall BMW's are fantastic and if properly looked after will go on for many years and much better than run of the mill cars.

“The car if put together properly (mine was a friday...”

Written on: 10/08/2002 by BH. (1 review written)

The car if put together properly (mine was a friday afternoon car) is excellent, a fantastic ride, firm and comfortable. The car is now four years old and has finally been fixed. It seems almost a shame to consider replacing it as it is better now than it has ever been. Shame it took three and half years to put everything right under warranty… Read Full Review

“I have owned 4 BMWs, 2x 5 series and 2 x 3 series. I...”

Written on: 09/06/2002 by av. (1 review written)

I have owned 4 BMWs, 2x 5 series and 2 x 3 series. I am always impressed when I drive these cars as they are "precision Instruments" as far as cars go.
I also had some minor problems but, believe it or not, I had more with my brand new subaru.
In conclusion, I will buy another 5 series in the next 2 months… Read Full Review

“The BMW 520i SE is a very big improvement from the E34.”

Written on: 14/04/2002 by ROMMEL. (1 review written)

The BMW 520i SE is a very big improvement from the E34… Read Full Review

“The Ultimate Driving Machine? I own a 1999 BMW 528i so...”

Written on: 28/03/2002 by BMW Driver. (1 review written)

The Ultimate Driving Machine? I own a 1999 BMW 528i so I'm not a 'biased non BMW owner!' but!
The service I have received from dealers has been pathetic I'm used to the high standards of Audi, apart from finding faults that when pressed they were unable to confirm in writing they even stamped the service book as a mini!!!!managed to charge for servicing using fully synthetic oil and set the service interval to that for semi synthetic thereby charging me more and giving me 2/3 the duration i… Read Full Review

Walkeja1's Response to 17372_BMW Driver.'s Review

Written on: 21/09/2003

I have been a BMW owner for many years. I have owned 5 series and now have a 3 series tourer. I was saddened to read your comments on service levels from BMW dealerships as I myself have experianced such substandard, unprofessional service levels from BMW that I have now taken the drastic measure of going to a none BMW service station. problems encountered have been - over charging for parts on the servicing schedule i.e. parts cost more through the service than over the counter at their service shop! even the oil costs more. When I questioned this I received a raft of nonsencical excusses and no valid reason for the cost differential.
<br>Service charges varying on each time the car/s were serviced - again BMW unable to explain why cost had risen and then reduced and then risen.
<br>incorrect service parts used on my car! don't these people know what they are doing?
<br>incorrect charges for labour!
<br>terrible customer service!
<br>late return of car.
<br>had to return car 4 time to dealer over minor repair work to ther rear end (paint & new rear window.) for some reason they did not appear to be able to install the rear window without damaging the surounding paint work! they returned the car in a worse condition than when it went in. The window leaked, paint scratched, glue and filler on internal cabin, plastic body covers damaged. dint to rear underneath not removed but billed for! tape lines in paint work from the resprays. A whole catalouge of errors. I was horrified to say the least.
<br>Dealership service sheets and charges do not match with BMW head office records! staff bemussed and could not offer valid reasons for their additional costs!
<br>My family have always driven BMW and since this experiance and lack luster approch to customer service we are now taking our cars to none BMW dealer outlets for servicing and parts! I even found out that the dealers only have 1 or 2 qualified technicians the rest are then made up from wet behind the ears spotty teenagers who get left to work on your car without full training! scary what! they even farm out their servicing to none bmw garages so you don't even know if your car has been serviced correctly and by whom. I know this because it was a none bmw dealer who told me they get their business from the local bmw dealer outlet!
<br>so we pay the high price for a joe bloggs outlet with no bmw accreditation. dear dear what id the world coming to and what is BMW turning into? I am seriously considering moving to lexus or audi. long gone are the days of bmw supremacy.
<br>the dealer staff look at you like you've just crawled out from under a stone and also speak to you in a patronising manner. Just hold on now but who is the customer and who is paying your salary you pompus prats!
<br>Goodbye bmw and hello lexus! I don't think i'll be back.

“Had this car 18 months and like it. First 6 months...”

Written on: 14/01/2000 by Paul Nadin. (1 review written)

Had this car 18 months and like it. First 6 months spent visiting dealers trying to sort out a whole string of faults that the dealer tried to pass off as features. After 7 trips the faults were rectified and havent returned. Engine is great once the revs get over 3000 rpm. Economy isnt bad either considering 6 cyls (30mpg). Best feature is the auto transmission which changes up/down so smoothly that it changed my mind about not liking auto boxes. Nice car let down by having too many faults… Read Full Review

8557_Biyoushi.'s Response to 18_Paul Nadin.'s Review

Written on: 05/01/2002

As most BMW's are over-rated, it doesn't surprise me you had faults with this vehicle. I used to own an BMW M3 (1990) and in the six months I had the 'excuse' for a car, it was garaged for 2 of them trying to sort out major problems... I could go on chapter and verse about most people who own cars by this manufacturer. They constantly moan about the problems they experience with them and could quote them... but they all sound the same. When will people learn that german designed 'eastern block' manufactured cars are not worth their salt. The blue and white badge is becoming a sign likened to a tattoo across the forehead which reads 'M.U.G.'
<br>I drive from Edinburgh to Yorkshire regularly, and without a doubt the most popular car to be beached on the 'hardshoulder' is BMW.

Mikedalden's Response to 18_Paul Nadin.'s Review

Written on: 30/12/2003

I too have an e39 2003 520ies which is great above 3000 revs. This is my main concern, BMW have re-programmed the engine which did initially improve the revs lower down. My main gripe is that the car is sluggish and almost hesitant when using low gears and low revs, put your foot down gently and it almost feels like the vacumm advance pipe on an old car is disconnected (for all of you that remember this far back) Anyone any ideas?

Karnautrahl.'s Response to 18_Paul Nadin.'s Review

Written on: 04/04/2003

I have owned 2 older BMW's a 735il and a currently a BMW 635csi. Despite the fact that the 6 series is tired due mainly to high mileage among other things and has a number of "gremlins" she has never yet refused to start and the auto runs smoothly at an easy 100+mph and better over distance. Running hard around town etc the only thing that gets me is the feeling of tiredness in the suspension-but I kind of expected that when I got her. Niether of the cars ever left me stranded and now I am about to acquire a 98 S reg 520i SE (hence why I am here). The main reason I chose it was I tried several other cars I fancied and hadn't considered the 5 series at all-yet this particular one looked very good. Having been out in several other examples of precisely the same year and model I then came back to the dealer and tried this car-it was about the best drive I had ever had overall. The Audi TT obviously was faster and was sharper on the handling but apart from that car this was the most precise one I had actually driven. Due to various jobs etc I have been able to drive a fair number of new cars from various companies-none of them bar a Mercedes E 320 and the Audi TT were as good. I do find the dealer very pricey on parts but I guess if I want cheap i either get lucky and find a very good independent parts guy or I buy a ford (no!) or something. Just my two penny worth.

14883_Jasboy.'s Response to 18_Paul Nadin.'s Review

Written on: 05/03/2002

I have been in the AA for 22 years now and I shall tell you that the car I least see breaking down is a BMW. So much so that I cashed in a Nissan Skyline for an Alpina B10 Bi-Turbo....and believe me thats a car. Stop berating BMW.

Simonsez.'s Response to 18_Paul Nadin.'s Review

Written on: 28/01/2002

Obviously you both don't know what you are talking about. In 3 years i have owned 4 bmw's and my friends have owned a couple too. I have never had a fault with my bmw [now a 2001 M5]. It is well equipped for the amount of cash i payed, it goes like a rocket and it handles like a greek goddess in bed. So guys, you must have got the worst two cars bmw have ever made cause i know i didn't !