Queens Head Inn, Longford, Gloucester Reviews

• Quality of food

Queens Head Inn, Longford, Gloucester - Ask a question now

“Stuck in the past”

Written on: 10/02/2013

Food over rated and menu looks copied from a mish mash of other chefs. confused all round and a truly rude owner who really needs to take note of the increasing number of customer/review comments that always seem to be removed from other review sites. was once a decent place but seems more about the money than the customer. owner needs to accept modern food lovers expect more than he offers the current elderly clientele who know no better… Read Full Review

Biker_Dude99's Comment

Written on: 19/02/2013

I couldn't agree more with your views. Looks like their lack of customer service and inflated ego have been noticed elsewhere too.

“CANNOT FIND BETTER.”

Written on: 25/01/2013 by stwven869 (1 review written)

A party of us visited this place last thursday 24/01/2013 there were 8 in our party and all 8 of us said what a well presented quick and delicious meal, none of us could fault, staff were geat and the place has a great atmosphere and is spotlessly clean. Would reccomend to anyone. steve Dawes… Read Full Review

“Awful meal with even worse service”

Written on: 18/12/2012

I will never go back to this establishment as long as I live. The food was practically inedible and an embarrassment to the guests I took with me. The service is terrible, and totally incapable of addressing my justified complaints. So rude I can't describe. Unless you like to be treated like an inconvenience and be expected to pay for it, I'd give this place a BIG miss!… Read Full Review

“A must for Good Food, Fabulous Service, Friendly Staff.”

Written on: 09/12/2012 by Mealsout (1 review written)

I booked for a table for my brothers birthday, then added one more person at the last minute. The table was roomy, the service was excellant, the food was fabulous..the best Steak's we've had for a long time. I will recomend The Queen Head to all. Friendly warm country Inn atmosphere. Wnderful… Read Full Review

“So worth a visit”

Written on: 22/07/2012 by LittleGrandma (1 review written)

Had some friends visiting from Devon and wanted to take them somewhere special. I had been here a while ago and enjoyed it, but must admit I was a little cautious after reading a poor review. However upon entering the restaurant my fears were dismissed! For a start it was full, every table was in use, as we read the extensive menu and looked around, we noticed that all the plates leaving the table ahd been cleared - another good sign! When we finally chose and ordered, we did not have an… Read Full Review

“the last time”

Written on: 01/06/2012 by mrsthornton (1 review written)

we as work friends have been going to this restaurant for the last two years ,but this is the last time. After waiting 40 min for are starters the young lad serving gave us all the wrong dishes as i lent over to give my to the correct person i knock my drink over ." my fault i was told good job it was not red wine".then when are meals came the wedges with the fish were burt and hinden under the fish!! the rare steak was well done, my pork loin with apple rosti was replaced with a onion and was… Read Full Review

Guest's Response to mrsthornton's Review

Written on: 01/07/2012

What a shame you cannot tell the truth. You fail to tell that all plates YES all plates were clean with not a morsel of food left. (starters or main) the two girls in your party who were outside smoking said there food was fine they were just going along with you and, how do you get all wrong dishes? the waiteress asked who was having what and you went to take it off her and you knocked your wine over thats what set you off everyone else on your table was fine except you so we are really pleased you will not be coming back.!!!

Martinj's Response to mrsthornton's Review

Written on: 05/07/2012

Strange your not running a sucessful hotel now is it not (name removed).!!!

Mrsthornton's Response to mrsthornton's Review

Written on: 05/07/2012

It is such a shame you cannot accept criticism and use this to improve the quality of food you serve, the standard of service and behaviour of staff towards your customer. I have no reason to lie and this is the first review I have ever written because I was so disgusted with the food served and treatment we were given.

The simple fact is you are unfortunately a second rate establishment trading on past standards that are clearly now lacking.

Food was left as it was either inedible or off and we did not want to spend the next few days with food poisoning.

I have actually run a very successful hotel and restaurant and prided myself on the service, care and attention I and my staff paid to our customers, with repeat business making up the majority of the foot fall through the restaurant.

This is why it so disappointing when you come across a business who clearly does not care for the customer and I really hope others take the time to read these comments and stay away rather than wasting their valuable time and money at a business that quite clearly does not respect or value them.

“What a fantastic resteraunt .............”

Written on: 14/05/2012 by Trevnkim (1 review written)

My wife and I visited Gloucester for the weekend and just happened to book a table at the Queens Head Inn as this was quite local to where we were staying. Upon entering we were greeted by very friendly staff who were efficient and organised. The member of staff who happened to serve us from the start was a young lady by the name of Lara who was bubbly and very friendly. After having a couple of drinks we were shown to our table and given a menu to view. This was extensive and variable. I… Read Full Review

“The best in the West”

Written on: 03/12/2011 by davefinch (1 review written)

Second time here just to check out if it was as good as the first and i can honestly say it was. Fantastic service and value for money food. We have sent friends here and they have come back of the same opinnion. If you ar in the Gloucester area and want a lively pub with atmosphere good food and real ales I can reccomend here… Read Full Review

“My husband & I have eaten a few times with our...”

Written on: 10/10/2011 by susieA (1 review written)

My husband & I have eaten a few times with our friends. We have always had an excellent meal with plenty of veg & great service everytime. The staff are very helpful,friendly good fun & nothing is to much trouble. Everyone I know who have eaten here have said how good the food & service is. So please do not take notice of one or two people who complain life is to short try it for yourself, it is always busy so that speaks volumes in its self.Well done Queens head… Read Full Review

“It's very easy to complain! ”

Written on: 10/10/2011 by robbo01 (1 review written)

I have just read the reviews on this site and thought it would be appropriate to add my comments. My wife and I have eaten at the Queens Head a few times now over the last few months and have invited our friends to join us. We've always received a warm welcome. The atmosphere has always been very good, we've enjoyed our meals and the brilliant service. Obviously, i cannot speak for my wife but i have read the anacdotes/jokes in the mens room and certainly found them rather funny! If by reading… Read Full Review

A_Reporter's Response to robbo01's Review

Written on: 11/10/2011

Kindly add your contact details as promised.... I am currenly writing an article on public racism in the 21st century. I would appreciate your views.

“Terrible Service, and arrogant, rude staff”

Written on: 27/09/2011

My husband and I were also in the restaurant during this Sunday afternoon and witnessed the whole event. The young man who complained did it very politely and rather subtly. I was stunned to see the over-reaction from the proprietor to this quite suitable challenge. I asked my husband to visit the toilets to read the jokes, and his view was the same; not appropriate for public display. The attitude of the landlord was totally unacceptable and aggressive. He didn’t even give the young… Read Full Review

Martinj's Comment

Written on: 28/09/2011

WHO WROTE THIS RUBBISH? YOUR BEST MATE? i WAS THERE ALSO DONT TELL FIBBYS!!!

“THE BEST MEAL BY FAR!”

Written on: 26/09/2011 by wakey74 (1 review written)

My parents came down last weekend from Doncaster as asked my wife and I to pick a nice place to eat; we decided to book a meal at the Queens Head in Longford as everyone we speak to down here always recommend eating here and to try the Longford lamb. Phoning up and booking the table was done with ease. On arriving we were greeted and taken to our table. My wife, dad and I all ordered the Longford lamb. I was unsure if this was going to be a good idea because so many people had told me how… Read Full Review

“THE BEST FOOD AND SERVICE FOR MILES.”

Written on: 26/09/2011

Took my wife and eldest daughter here for a meal on thursday 22nd sept and the place was very busy all 3 of us had starters and main course with a bottle of wine the bill was just over £70.00 which i thought was excellent value for money on what we had. I note some of the comments on the landlord not being to friendly but that guy is to busy watching over a packed 7 days a week pub i am sure i would find it difficult to be friendly 7 days per week 52 weeks per year. I was in a simmilar trade… Read Full Review

“Rude, offensive, racist landlord”

Written on: 25/09/2011

What an unbelievable experience I have just had at the Queens Head – Unbelievably BAD may I add. Having just been to this pub for Sunday lunch, we booked easily, and were welcomed as we arrived. We all had the roast, which was quite tasty. This was looking like a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon for all. How things can so easily go wrong…. I visited the gents after the meal, and noticed a very scrappy printed piece of paper hanging on the wall containing about 7 or 8 jokes. I read this… Read Full Review

Martinj's Comment

Written on: 25/09/2011

The jokes you refer to are placed there for the customers to read whilst going to the loo to give a little enjoyment. in no way or form are they racist and that one has been there for some 3 months with customers asking for copies on numerous occasions. When I do get cross is when you try to involve other diners because of your lack of a sense of humour which is not there fault and they should not be subjected to your views being shouted around the restaurant. After you had left one customer even commented by saying \"he needs to get a life\" do you really believe I would post racist jokes in a restaurant which is frequented by some very high ranking officials from the Gloucestershire area. some have past comments how funny they are,!!!! Sorry you cannot see the funny side side to life but I am glad your meal was very tasty.

“Good menu for the 90s”

Written on: 21/09/2011 by newyorker001 (1 review written)

Observations: Arrived 730pm - Reservation 745pm. Car park full. Arrival : cosy but clumsey blend of modern and traditional pub. Busy and lively. Air conditioning vents visible but not in use. Many people appear warm and uncomfortable. Experienced front of house staff would have picked up on this, but not here. Too many senior customers left standing waiting for their table. Not enough space for customers waiting for tables Menu and food good, although to a modern foodie, dated Catering for a… Read Full Review

Martinj's Response to newyorker001's Review

Written on: 27/09/2011

Reply from proprietor.
thank you Mr Newyorker for your comments. If i could just point out a couple of things, we do not have air conditioning just fans which i think you will find they were on but not as good as air con on a warm evening. The wine you mention was available but by the bottle only, and i am glad your choice was acceptable, The menu fonts choosen, I did not realise there was a fashion for fonts I will look in to this and change accordingly. Sorry that i appeared to take your money hastily but when you have a packed restaurant and some 20 staff to watch over it is at times a little difficult so stand and chat and you are constantly thinking of the next thing to do, but I will make more time to try and chat.Yes the web site does need a little work I done this myself maybe i should bring in the professionals!!!. I am sorry that you find the menu ageing, my head chef and others sit down looking at differnt dishes from people like \"Jamie Oliver\" Ant w Thompson etc every week I must try a different method of sourcing dishes. I would also appreciate you telling me what the \"next genaration customer base is\". Please feel free to engage me for indicative dates when you can conduct a more formal review.glad you enjoyed your meal. Many thanks. Martin.

Newyorker001's Response to newyorker001's Review

Written on: 11/09/2012

Hoping to make a return to the QH soon. Glad to see some improvements to the website which really does make it easier to understand, even with the odd basic error which lets it down a bit. My comments still stand and appear to be endorsed by other reviews about the defensive attitude of the front of house manager, which is evident in the tone of his response. Looking forward to the next visit and btw I am a Ms Newyorker - look out for me.

“Booked a table well in advance and we can noe see why,...”

Written on: 28/02/2011

Booked a table well in advance and we can noe see why, The place was buzzing with a lively atmosphere we were attended to as soon as we walked through the door and seated and our drinks order taken. Food arrived some 15 mins later i had the smoked salmon and brie my wife had the king prawn cocktail absoluteley beautiful. for mains i had a sirloin which was cooked to perfection and melted in your mouth my wife had peking duck and cashew nuts which was amazing. Got to be the best place around for… Read Full Review

“REPLY FROM THE PROPRIETOR. I note your comments but i...”

Written on: 25/02/2011

REPLY FROM THE PROPRIETOR. I note your comments but i do not belive you are telling the full story are you.? You asked for a rare steak which was cooked rare you then asked for it to be cooked more but then said could i have a new one. we did say no we will cook a little more for you but you were not happy with that so we offered you an alternative meal and fresh vegetables which came out immedietly. You were then heard to moan all through you meal, when your other guests were asked if all was… Read Full Review

“Booked for a birthday meal with family. The sirloin...”

Written on: 21/02/2011

Booked for a birthday meal with family. The sirloin steak was almost raw,couldn't even cut it with a steak knife, and had to remove it from my mouth due being unchewable and inedible. When we asked for the problem to be dealt with we were met with arrogance and dismissal from the very rude landlady, and the staff attitude became the same. The starters were greasy and fatty, and the fried potatoes were in a bowl of fat.

We will never eat there again or recommend this pub to anyone.I have since… Read Full Review

“The Queens Head has to be one of the best pubs in...”

Written on: 08/12/2010

The Queens Head has to be one of the best pubs in GloucesterSHIRE! We recently took my parents out there and everything was 1st class - service, food, value. It is so nice to find a pub which maintains the pub style atmosphere whilst serving restaurant quality food at affordable prices. We regularly recommend this pub to friends and will continue to do so… Read Full Review

“I do not normally write reviews but I was in this...”

Written on: 04/12/2010

I do not normally write reviews but I was in this restaurant when the customer below was asked to leave due to bad language and being rather drunk they were sitting on the table in the same room as us and felt very sorry for his remarks against the waiter they were down right rude. The food at the Queens Head Is by far the best in the area but you will always get a difference of opinion especially when the "Drink is in" as in this case. We as a family have used this establishment fo a number of… Read Full Review