Freshman 500 Series Reviews

• Sound Quality

• Appearance

Freshman 500 Series - Ask a question now

Freshman 500 Series

“Since the age of 15 i have played every conceivable...”

Written on: 28/12/2009 by siggyt (2 reviews written)

Since the age of 15 i have played every conceivable type of guitar from high end to low end electric, electro acoustic and acoustic guitars and now i have decided to hang up my ego and just play for my own pleasure, so i popped in to a local music shop just to see if they were interested in my equipment when, out the corner of my eye i saw the quality end of acoustics in the guitar testing booth,and was drawn firstly to the Named guitars. Undoubted quality and build but price in this day and… Read Full Review

Freshman 500 Series

“I went looking for a Martin D28 or D35 or possibly a...”

Written on: 28/03/2009 by JC CHRISTIE (1 review written)

I went looking for a Martin D28 or D35 or possibly a Gibson SJ100 but after playing every guitar in the shop during the course of a long afternoon I came out with the Freshman FA500JCE. Not only did this guitar look the part, its tonality and playability knocked everything else into a cocked hat. At fifteen hundred pounds sterling it wasn't exactly cheap, but you do get an awful lot for your money - Triple grade "A" sitka spruce top, rosewood back and sides, ebony fretboard, bone nut and… Read Full Review

Aliwhitwell's Response to JC CHRISTIE's Review

Written on: 07/03/2014

I too went looking for a good quality acoustic and thought that I would end up with a Martin, Taylor or maybe a Gibson. I tried many from each maker but ended up buying a Freshman FA500DCE for much the same reasons as Mr Christie. I absolutely love this guitar which, when I first started to play it just felt 'right'. The sound was superb and with a AAA spruce top and solid rosewood back and sides, and exceptional build quality, I knew that this was the guitar for me. I do agree also that a strap sud on the heel would have been better and I understand that this niggle has now been addressed in most of the Freshman range. Not sure how I go about rating the guitar with stars but in all cases I would give it 5 out of 5. :-)

Freshman 500 Series

“Freshman FA 500dce I went into the shop to try Taylors...”

Written on: 02/04/2008 by josielloyd (1 review written)

Freshman FA 500dce I went into the shop to try Taylors and Martins around £2000 but I couldnt put this baby down, iw was crisper, and clearer and just more lovely to play than anything else there, I left because I had intended buying a "name" as well as a guitar, but returned a week later to purchase and am well pleased. I'd like a strap fastening thing on the body I cant do with straps going up around the top of the neck and the case is spectacular!… Read Full Review

Freshman 500 Series

“When i first saw Freshman guitars I assumed that they...”

Written on: 16/03/2008 by syncopater (1 review written)

When i first saw Freshman guitars I assumed that they were another budget range of average guitars. I was so so wrong. I played the FA500GA grand auditorium model in a music store yesterday. As an experienced acoustic guitarist I have tried loads of guitars, including many high end ones. This is up there with the best but at half the price. The sound was frankly astounding with rich full tones on every string. Resonant basses and rare fat trebles. The playability was wonderful. I could hardly… Read Full Review

Teuchter's Response to syncopater's Review

Written on: 24/05/2010

I found this review very helpful because...I own a Freshman series 400 12 string and have this week tried a Martin D12-28 in comparison while on holiday in the USA.I have owned the Freshman for a 2 1/2 years and its sound is getting better all the time. I just wanted to compare the two and was even considering buying the Martin since I had bought some US $ at 1.65 last year. The Martin priced at $2400 at Sam Ash music which is a significant discount on list price. The Freshman cost me £800 when new ( about $1600 then and about $1200 now with the current rate of exchange). Frankly I was DISAPPOINTED at the sound of the Martin relative to my Freshman. It was not as good sounding as the Freshman which also looked good in comparison: I thought that the Martin's mahogany neck looked like artificial wood i'm afraid. The Freshman looks good by comparison. I will return home much happier that I made a good purchase of the Freshman.