Canon AE-1 Reviews

• Photograph Quality

Canon AE-1 - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Canon AE-1

Canon AE-1

“After 10 years of digital cameras, I felt the urge to...”

Written on: 19/08/2011 by royalrat (1 review written)

After 10 years of digital cameras, I felt the urge to go back in time and shot pictures with real film. I can describe in details how much I love the feel of celluloid and raw materials, but I know a lot of you think the same. What I intend to do here is to review a few cameras from the old time, and show you the results I’ve got. I hope it will give you the extra push to search the closet for that old camera you stored back then in the days when it took a few long hours between pushing the… Read Full Review

Canon AE-1

“I just purchased the canon XS and when I showed it to...”

Written on: 07/06/2010

I just purchased the canon XS and when I showed it to my mom she pulled out her old Canon AE-1 Program. She had it for nearly 30 years. Still has the official 1984 olympic games lens on it. I love my canon Xs but I have to say if you want to feel the joys of cameras and dont want to go digital.. get an AE-1.. She never serviced it and I think it's definitely time for one but still works like a charm… Read Full Review

Canon AE-1

“I bought my Canon AE-1 Program in a flee market some 5...”

Written on: 05/06/2009

I bought my Canon AE-1 Program in a flee market some 5 years ago. Didn't know if it worked properly or if I could work it properly.
Put in new batteries and ran a roll of film. WOW ! ! !
Since then I bought a 28mm and 100-200mm lens. All pictures turned out great.
So I just got an A-1 from ebay along with about a douzen other vintage cameras and this one seem s great also.
As a matter of fact, I just purchased another AE-1 for my niece as she loves photography as I beleive this is a better… Read Full Review

Canon AE-1

“A friend gave me an Canon AE-1 body in the mid 80's,...”

Written on: 08/02/2009 by FD nut (3 reviews written)

A friend gave me an Canon AE-1 body in the mid 80's, told me to buy a lens, which I did (Canon 35-70mm) and my amateur photographic career began. Its never let me down, and now with an A-1 and T-90, in my camera bag, as well as several FD lenses, I have no intention of going digital, so long as Fuji and Kodak keep making top quality film… Read Full Review

Canon AE-1

“Have had my Canon AE-1 since 1978. It has been...”

Written on: 19/01/2009

Have had my Canon AE-1 since 1978. It has been everywhere and has never gave anything but excellent results. Even today in 2009 I still reach for it as a first consideration when shootng film. I only reach for something else when I need functions it does not have... It is well Built. Has stood the test of time. Takes excellent photos. Only bad point is I can not buy a new one… Read Full Review

Canon AE-1

“I do not know what else to say. If I could convert it...”

Written on: 24/11/2008 by tanzer770 (1 review written)

I do not know what else to say. If I could convert it to a digital without the expence, that would be great. I am a causual home user. The canon AE-1 I have ,has the normal 55mm lens as well as a 135mm, but I wish I had a (70/80---200/210mm) zoom lens… Read Full Review

Canon AE-1

“I still have photos from my AE-1 and am looking to buy...”

Written on: 04/11/2008

I still have photos from my AE-1 and am looking to buy another. Digital is easy, I am no pro and don't need much, but the AE-1 was so simple compared to the fantastic photo results I got. Easy for amateurs. Somehow produces EXCELLENT photos even in my photographically challenged hands. Mine died and the ex wouldn't pay to repair… Read Full Review

Lameduck's Comment

Written on: 17/03/2011

I found this review very helpful because...I have a AE - 1 .I was given it for my 50th birthday 15yrs ago . Must be honest haven't used it much .Went digital.Have tried to sell it but to no avail . DO you our do you know off any one who would be interested . douglaspostman(at)live.co.uk

Canon AE-1

“The Canon AE-1 is a marvellous camera. I have had mine...”

Written on: 29/10/2008

The Canon AE-1 is a marvellous camera. I have had mine for over twenty-six years. I have had it serviced once, to clean it and keep it tight. I use it for personal and professional purposes, and I know of nothing better. The lenses are the best there are, and the camera has a good feel and takes the most rugged wear. Well recommend the Canon AE-1… Read Full Review

Canon AE-1

“The Canon AE-1 is an amazing camera and I think people...”

Written on: 23/09/2008

The Canon AE-1 is an amazing camera and I think people should look into it and buy it on ebay or a seller… Read Full Review

Canon AE-1

“My dad has a hobby store and last year someone traded...”

Written on: 09/06/2008 by ulyssalunch (1 review written)

My dad has a hobby store and last year someone traded him a Canon AE-1 for some model aircraft parts, then he gave it to me. It is my first real SLR and it is a beaut! I get lots of compliments on my photos, and I've only been working with this SLR for a year. When I got the first roll of film I shot developed, I was amazed at how well the photos turned out. Now, people ask me to do portraits and I only use the AE-1. In my opinion, it takes pictures way better than standard digital… Read Full Review

Canon AE-1

“I have been learning to use my AE-1 Canon for a few...”

Written on: 15/12/2007 by julesseyes (1 review written)

I have been learning to use my AE-1 Canon for a few years. I know in the future I will have to go digital, but not as long as I have this camera. I enjoyed reading from other's about their feelings on this particular camera… Read Full Review

Canon AE-1

“I LOVE my Canon AE-1. My father gave it to me for my...”

Written on: 26/08/2003 by mikmap (1 review written)

I LOVE my Canon AE-1. My father gave it to me for my high school graduation (1987)and it has taken thousand's if not a million pictures from my graduation, thru college, graduation again, marriage and the birth of my two children (and everything in between)(2003). I have had it cleaned thoroughly 2 times in it's life, once due to my own carelessness. I didn't notice the bottom panel was loose and I put it down in the sand and sand got up into the mechanism. I had it cleaned and it was like… Read Full Review

Martamr's Response to mikmap's Review

Written on: 14/08/2005

Hi my parents have got the exact same camera since 1988, which they brought from america but they have broken the flash and cannot find a compatible one for it because it is so old. It takes brilliant photos as you said but without the flash they cannot use it as often as they would like to. Can anyone help me find one or at least tell me which flash is compatible with the camera?
<br>Thanks, Marta.

Photoman's Response to mikmap's Review

Written on: 06/12/2005

I reply to the comment by martaMR on the 14th of August 2005
<br>Hi, Marta.
<br>
<br>Canon AE-1 can be used not only with original flash. It can be used with almost every hot shoe flash. In most of the photo accessory stores they are selling manual and even automatic flashes for less than $50.
<br>Most of these flashes are not from known brands, but they serve well.
<br>For my old cameras I bought a few of these flashes and they give outstanding results.

Canon AE-1

“A fine classic SLR with programmed features or fully...”

Written on: 09/07/2003 by Coop. (1 review written)

A fine classic SLR with programmed features or fully manual (for the true camera buff). A treasure with Canon wide angle, Canon 55MM, Tamron 38-200 telephoto lenses and filters. Great for B/W, Sepia, Color pics. Would sell to interested party. A real investment quality collector's camera… Read Full Review

Canon AE-1

“Had an AE-1 years ago that I eventually traded for a...”

Written on: 10/06/2003 by Thomas B.. (1 review written)

Had an AE-1 years ago that I eventually traded for a Nikon. Canon's lenses for this mount are very good, but you'll only find them on the used shelf as Canon obsoleted this entire lens mount (not the first time they've abandoned older Canon owners). For this reason and because of reliability issues I switched to Nikon.

Only buy this camera if it's in excellent working condition and you have access to lenses, because there is no parts support from Canon for this old dog, and lenses for the… Read Full Review

Rz0Bwr's Response to 105983_Thomas B..'s Review

Written on: 24/10/2003

I have had an AE-1 canon camera since 1979.
<br>For the most part it has been a great camera, very reliable and exceptional quality pictures. I would say I have taken 7000 pictures or more with it. However, in the past six years it has been in the repair shop 3 times for shutter repairs. Do not understand why the shutter fails so much recently. These are not cheap repairs either. Parts availability scarce.
<br>Also, manual focus a big pain in the age of automatic focus and digital world.
<br>Also with automatic exposure that is supposed to get great pictures, shadow pictures, even with flash are disappointing.
<br>Power winder option a great accessory that I purchased many years ago. A real collectors item, but totally out of tune with todays digital world.

Zann's Response to 105983_Thomas B..'s Review

Written on: 12/02/2004

i agree. canon told me that they dont service this camera anymore. WHY...
<br>
<br>now i have a canon ae-1 with a dirty len.

Canon AE-1

“Hey, I am a Nikon_guy. But I always wanted, an AE-1. ...”

Written on: 19/11/2002 by Jaye. (1 review written)

Hey, I am a Nikon_guy. But I always wanted, an AE-1. Well, I got the AE-1, and a Vivitar 283 flash, for $25.00, from a neighbor, who was given the camera on a trash route. I put batteries in the flash, and POW!!, then, I ran a roll of 200 speed in the AE-1, to my surprise, the shots were....POW, a big hit. I have run a few rolls through this baby, and the shots, are great. I just love this camera. And guess what, I went out and got a Canon A1. This is a horse. But the AE-1, is so amazing… Read Full Review

Yankeeblue.'s Response to 51871_Jaye.'s Review

Written on: 04/05/2003

Thanks. My teenage daughter is looking at getting into photography. I have an old Olympus SLR from the early 80s I use and was looking for some kind of reliable camera I could get her for her birthday. I was thinking of a Canon AE-1 that I saw in an on-line auction, but wanted to see what others thought of the thing.
<br>THanks.

Canon AE-1

“I have (and still) use my Canon A1 and AE-1 35mm SLR...”

Written on: 16/06/2002 by G Bray. (1 review written)

I have (and still) use my Canon A1 and AE-1 35mm SLR cameras. I have owned the AE-1 since the 1970s and cannot complain. The A1 was purchased in 1982. I have toured the world with both and they have never let me down (except the original battery of the AE-1 has just -today- given out).

I use 28mm / 50mm/ 35-70 zoom / 80-210 zoom and so the cameras are subject to the wear and tear of lens changing.

The cameras do look used but there is little point in having them and leaving them in the box… Read Full Review

Canon AE-1

“First Canon AE-1 35mm SLR camera was bought new in...”

Written on: 16/04/2002 by KEOHAN. (1 review written)

First Canon AE-1 35mm SLR camera was bought new in '86. Loved using it and travelled throughout asia with it. It never failed or caused me any problems. Was stolen in '91. Have missed using a truly reliable manual SLR camera and bought a used AE-1 last week for $105.00 (with a 35-200mm Tokina zoom)at a used camera shop. I am once again truly pleased with it's performance. I just don't know how to select the ASA settings!… Read Full Review

Captain Photography.'s Response to KEOHAN.'s Review

Written on: 09/08/2002

damn good review of the Canon AE-1, have had mine for a few years, was my grandfathers old SLR, but i just thought I'd mention ASA is interchangable with ISO, ASA is just the outdated term for it

117162_Ron.'s Response to KEOHAN.'s Review

Written on: 20/07/2003

You change the ASA settings on the AE-1 camera using two fingers, one while pressing the silver button (near the film plane marking) and holding it down, then rotating the black ring clockwise and counterclockwise around the film rewind spool on top of the camera. The ASA setting facing the back of the camera is the current setting in case the markings have worn off. I love my AE-1 and have owned it since the 1970s. The gummy seals need replacing and the viewfinder needs a good cleaning. No other problems.

Canon AE-1

“I think the Canon AE-1 is an excellent 35mm SLR...”

Written on: 02/04/2002 by Ignacio de Nevares. (1 review written)

I think the Canon AE-1 is an excellent 35mm SLR camera. I have taken very good pictures with it. It is too heavy to carry if you take it hiking or mountain climbing as I did, belive me with 0 degrees celcius and 120km/h of wind, as I had one weekend, it was not the perfect camera. It also has many problems with the cold. Nevertheless, it is an excellent camera and you get good pictures with it, what is what I expect of a camera… Read Full Review

Canon AE-1

“I bought this Canon AE-1 35mm SLR camera a few years...”

Written on: 20/03/2002 by Andrew Brown. (1 review written)

I bought this Canon AE-1 35mm SLR camera a few years ago used back in 1999 I believe. My father actually has one that he bought new when they first came out. Anyway I use it everywhere! I am very much into Outdoor Photography and this camera seems to be indestructable! We live in a very cold climate and have extreme weather conditions ranging from -35 - 40 celcius to (for a few short weeks)+30 in the summer! This camera is like a ROCK with it's old school metal body design and the ability to… Read Full Review

Moderntech.'s Response to 16503_Andrew Brown.'s Review

Written on: 21/06/2002

My first Canon A series had an awful squeak when triggered. Canon would NOT repair these under warranty! Although camera shops have adapted a shutter fix for some serious change, (out of your pocket!) The battery door is horribly designed and executed! The cost of this repair alone will generally set you back $90.00 or so. For just the price of that repair you can purchase a good used camera that won't set you that far back on repairs and you can pocket some change as well! Note: the repaired battery door will fail also. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE metal, manual, precision 35MM cameras. But these cookies are like a black hole that you keep sinking money into, (Unless you don’t mind taping up the front of your little prize.) The used Canon lenses and accessories are on the expensive side and offer little over other quality manufacturers. All in all, I'd pass on these and purchase something more reliable with more reasonably priced lenses/accessories.

Canon AE-1

“The Canon AE-1 35mm SLR camera is a real collectors...”

Written on: 24/02/2002 by Domingo. (1 review written)

The Canon AE-1 35mm SLR camera is a real collectors item, always there for the serious action for fun or work… Read Full Review