Mamiya 645 1000s Reviews

• Photograph Quality

Mamiya 645 1000s - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Mamiya 645 1000s

Mamiya 645 1000s

“I purchased my Mamiya 1000S in 1981 to use in my...”

Written on: 18/06/2010

I purchased my Mamiya 1000S in 1981 to use in my aerial photography business. I've since used for extensive B&W landscape photography and had a book "Oysterville;A Quiet Place In Time" publishedin 2008 with the foreword written by Robert Adams. Although I have an extensive collection of lenses, I use the 45mm most frequently for landscape photography.

These are excellent cameras and now inexpensive in 2010 and I bought two more as back-ups.

Michael Parker… Read Full Review

Guest's Comment

Written on: 16/03/2012

The Oysterville book is all done with a Mamiya 645? That is an excellent book. Love the photography! Absolutely beautiful.

Mamiya 645 1000s

“Easy to use. Versatile with many optional components....”

Written on: 20/04/2009

Easy to use. Versatile with many optional components. Rather inexpensive now, however. We have 2 model Mamiya 645's . Wild horses couldn't take them away… Read Full Review

Mamiya 645 1000s

“ Got my Mamiya 645 1000s last year and really...”

Written on: 03/04/2009 by dRm53 (1 review written)

Got my Mamiya 645 1000s last year and really pleased. Can't belive how cheap you can buy those film rollers. I like Keh because most their accessories have a warranty. Also picked up some good deals on Ebay… Read Full Review

Mamiya 645 1000s

“Excellent camera, pictures always come out like a pro....”

Written on: 23/11/2008 by bmorrison00 (1 review written)

Excellent camera, pictures always come out like a pro. Excellent photos and ease of handling. Metering of light is exact but get it calibrated. I got my 645 calibrated for free at a Mamiya show. I really can't think of any, if the picture is bad it's your own fault… Read Full Review

Mamiya 645 1000s

“I like this camera because it takes good photo's, but...”

Written on: 31/07/2008

I like this camera because it takes good photo's, but it's hard to got parts for. Overall, I have no complaints with my Mamiya 645 1000s… Read Full Review

Mamiya 645 1000s

“Beautiful Camera, great quality and style. A bit...”

Written on: 20/07/2008

Beautiful Camera, great quality and style. A bit uneasy to handle - but you'll get used to it. I love my Mamiya!… Read Full Review

Mamiya 645 1000s

“I would go so far as to place the Mamiya range of...”

Written on: 17/07/2008 by MichaelMcGrath (1 review written)

I would go so far as to place the Mamiya range of their day ahead of equivalent Hasselblads. My friend, with a fabulous High Street studio, uses Hasselblad in studio, but swears by Mamiya too. In the old days when he was double-booked with two weddings at one time, his late wife and partner photographer, always used Mamiya in preference to Hasselblad when out shooting her weddings. Although a millionaire today, he will not change from medium format film to digital, although he sells scores of… Read Full Review

Mamiya 645 1000s

“The Mamiya 645 1000s is excellent value for the money....”

Written on: 29/12/2004 by thomasjohn (1 review written)

The Mamiya 645 1000s is excellent value for the money. For getting into medium format, it's an excellent choice. Great for portrature and landscapes. When/if the shutter locks up, replace the battery… Read Full Review

Mamiya 645 1000s

“I'd call it a superb value for the money if I could...”

Written on: 07/03/2003 by Ken Rice. (1 review written)

I'd call it a superb value for the money if I could keep mine operating… Read Full Review

Mamiya 645 1000s

“If you're looking to get into Medium Format...”

Written on: 13/06/2002 by . (1 review written)

If you're looking to get into Medium Format photography at a reasonable cost you just can't go wrong buying the Mamiya 645 1000s camera… Read Full Review

214486_Ahtram's Response to 27605_.'s Review

Written on: 20/10/2005

I'm thinking of getting a used Mamiya 645 1000S that includes: Mamiya-Secor C 45mm 2.8;
<br>Mamiya-Secor C 80mm 2.8;
<br>(2) rubber lens hoods;
<br>extention tubes #1 and #3;
<br>(1) metered prism
<br>(1) non-metered prism;
<br>Various filters for black and white film;
<br>Soft focus filter;
<br>Polarizer filter;
<br>motor drive;
<br>Ambico lens shade with adaptor;
<br>Chimney view finder with magnifier;
<br>Mamiya prism magnifier for critical focusing;
<br>Waterproof Lowepro case with internal camera case.
<br>
<br>The guy is selling this for $950 - is that a good price?

Mamiya 645 1000s

“I have owned the 1000s for 2 years now bought second...”

Written on: 11/10/2001 by DAnthony Quintyne III. (1 review written)

I have owned the 1000s for 2 years now bought second hand for £300 with CD Prism Head, Waist Level Finder (WLF), Standard 80mm f2.8 lens and a leatherette case.

I only use the WLF as I prefer that view as opposed to the prism when shooting.

I have used the camera with Aga Scala thru Fuji Provia and print films in between when used with the hand held meter (Sekonic L-608),all shoots are right on the button. No under/over exposure clear edge to edge which just proves how good a manual camera… Read Full Review

19380_Brian.'s Response to DAnthony Quintyne III.'s Review

Written on: 15/04/2002

I am considering purchacing a 645 1000s (£280 - Body/55mm/case/manual/additional film holder). The camera I have found is in completly mint condition - I do not think a roll has been used so I am very interest in purchasing since this will be my introduction to Medium format.
<br>
<br>The issue I have is, upon inspection of the lens there were what I would describe as water marks on one internal lens (possible a breakdown of the coating).....any comments? I have asked the vendors to run a roll through to see the results - I think I would buy the unit anyway since the body is untouched and in good working order - there are some bits of foam from the light seal around the lens and film end falling off but I think this could be easily rectified.

Smpat18's Response to DAnthony Quintyne III.'s Review

Written on: 13/01/2007

I think so, but only if there's a reasonable return policy. The fact that you get all that stuff with the camera is meaningless if the camera isn't in excellent working condition. It shouldn't have any deficits, including cosmetics (paint loss and dings etc. It should work like a new camera and have some type of warranty.
<br/>

<br>(2) rubber lens hoods;
<br>extention tubes #1 and #3;
<br>(1) metered prism
<br>(1) non-metered prism;
<br>various filters for black and white film;
<br>soft focus filter;
<br>polarizer filter;
<br>motor drive;
<br>Ambico lens shade with adaptor;
<br>chimney view finder with magnifier;
<br>Mamiya prism magnifier for critical focusing;
<br>waterproof Lowepro case with internal camera case.
<br>
<br>The guy is selling this for $950 - is that a good price?

Mamiya 645 1000s

“I love my Mamiya, I am self taught and therfore wanted...”

Written on: 08/09/2001 by Bright Masih. (1 review written)

I love my Mamiya, I am self taught and therfore wanted something that would get me right back, to basics. It did exactly that, teaching me everything I needed to learn. I shot a few rolls in Boulder, Colorado, and I know for a fact my old Nikon SLR would have died on me because of the cold. Total cost was arounf £500 for my set up, but worth every penny. I have a friend with a Hasselblad 500 and to be honest I prefer the handling of the Mamiya. If your thinking about getting one, don't… Read Full Review

Mamiya 645 1000s

“This camera was introduced in 1976 and is still in...”

Written on: 07/05/2000 by Mel Gregory. (1 review written)

This camera was introduced in 1976 and is still in demand today. I have had mine for about 8 years now with no problems except for one 150mm f4 which seems to have a problem with the aperture spring to return the lens to full open when a picture is taken. Even with this problem the Mamiya 645 takes beautiful pictures and the extra size of the negative really makes them chromes snap. Just wish medium format scanners were more reasonable… Read Full Review

3546_Leroy.'s Response to 199_Mel Gregory.'s Review

Written on: 18/08/2001

I just picked a 645 1000s up from a reliable buddy.
<br>1976 huh? I can do wrist curls with it to keep in shape and so far, just tests, the contact sheets look rather nice.
<br>got a metered finder, motor drive w/ a grip, 80/2.8 for 500 bucks. is that a good deal?
<br>thanks,
<br>fcs

5386_Hans.'s Response to 199_Mel Gregory.'s Review

Written on: 01/11/2001

Hi:
<br>
<br>I have been using a similar model for two years now and I am very happy with it. In the meantime I got a bunch of nice lenses and accessories.
<br>
<br>What you may want to do with a camera that old is to have it checked over by a decent (preferably authorized) repair shop. After a quarter century, things work themselves loose, oil dries up, and the like. The old-style Mamiya is built like a tank, but it needs TLC once in a while. BTW, the same is true for lenses; when I buy one, I have it tested and fixed, if necessary, and never regretted the expense.

3582_Mel.'s Response to 199_Mel Gregory.'s Review

Written on: 19/08/2001

$500.00 sounds like a great price. Have fun!
<br>Mel