Halifax Pet Insurance Reviews

• Customer service

Halifax Pet Insurance - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Halifax Pet Insurance

Halifax Pet Insurance

“Avoid like the plague! Worse ever...”

Written on: 28/11/2011

I wouldnt recommend Halifax Pet insurance to anyone. No wonder they're discontinuing the service! My dog fell ill end of August 2011 and I duly submitted a claim within a couple of days. As of 28.11.11 Im still waiting on settlement! Ive rang Customer Services 5/6 times and get the usual flannel like, theyre behind, theyre inundated with claims but have hired more staff. Ive heard every excuse and apology so far but no cheque. Ive resigned myself that I wont ever get the monies due as Im sick… Read Full Review

Sucker2's Comment

Written on: 12/02/2012

i guess this is the usually thing with insurance services these days.

Poodle33's Comment

Written on: 26/05/2012

To add to this review - when I got my claim settled they paid back £32 of a £223 claim! I then cancelled the policy to which they stated as I had made a claim I had to honour the rest of the policy and pay £80!! I subsequently billed THEM for £50 admin costs for the months of delays, phone calls and unreplied to letters. I sent this 30.1.12. I send a reminder Feb 2012. Still nothing. THEN 16.5.12 I received a reply to my complaint stating they received my letter 15.5.12! Four months after I actually sent it! They also cashed the cheque I sent for £30 (dfference between what they wanted to charge me for rest of policy minus the admin fee I charged them). Ive written to them again and now sent copies to Financial Ombudsman claiming mal administration and poor service. Will make interesting reading as FO investigate if Halifax do not respond within 40 days I believe, something they way exceeded. Im now with Animal Friends insurance who are a breath of fresh air compared to Halifax. Will update with a reply when received from Financial Ombudsman (and Halifax if I ever receive one!)

Guest's Comment

Written on: 21/02/2012

I have two pets with ongoing problems insured from birth with Halifax. It took me 6 weeks to get a claim form out of them (Oct 2011), then another 2 months to receive payment. Like you, excuse after excuse. I wrote to MD, no response. I will never bank or set foot into a Halifax/LLoyds Bank again.

“Never never never buy pet insurance from Halifax”

Written on: 10/10/2011 by pjosie (1 review written)

Worst experience dealing with an insurance company ever. Pet was injured on Saturday 3rd September 2011, requested claim form on 5th, not received until 12th. Posted back to them on 13th September, called on 19th to ensure it had been received. Not on the system yet, and due to 'high number of claims', it wouldn't be processed until 23rd. Called on 26th September, had been received and processed but wouldn't assessed for another fortnight, due to 'high number of claims'. Called again today… Read Full Review

“My worst Insurance experience ever”

Written on: 08/09/2011

In June 2011 my dog developed an ear problem. We could not get through to the call centre two evenings on the trot. We left a voicemail for a claim form to be sent to our house. It took 4 weeks to get the claim form sent after chasing them up!!!I have paid up to £600 up front of my own money Eventually, the claim form went in for £500 in the middle of July (£100 excess) to be processed. It was sent back 2 weeks later to say there were no vet medical history notes for the dog. The notes were… Read Full Review

“I have been trying to get reimbursed for 5 months now....”

Written on: 10/04/2011

I have been trying to get reimbursed for 5 months now. Halifax Pet Insurance have taken forever to do anything and it feels as though you are just being given the runaround by them. The worse pet insurance I have ever had!… Read Full Review

“Made a claim in February, took two phone calls to get...”

Written on: 28/03/2011 by Hilary60 (1 review written)

Made a claim in February, took two phone calls to get a claim form. This was completed by myself and the vet, and sent off immediately, then after another phone call middle of March, as still not received payment, they now want a 12 month report from the vets, but I have never made a claim before. This was sent two weeks ago, and now they are saying they have not received this, and I have go to start all over again. Really disappointed with the service, and will be cancelling the policy… Read Full Review

“They are a very difficult company to deal with...”

Written on: 22/11/2010

They are a very difficult company to deal with .Getting a claim form can take 3 or 4 phone calls and it can take over a month to have your claim settled… Read Full Review

“Excellent claims turnaround, cannot fault it. Shame...”

Written on: 31/08/2010

Excellent claims turnaround, cannot fault it. Shame excess jumped from £60 to £100 in one year!

However, peace of mind that my dog is adequately covered.

Staff are always helpful and pleasant on the phone. Very easy to contact, no hanging on the phone!… Read Full Review

“I changed from E & L Insurance to Halifax Pet...”

Written on: 23/06/2009 by NF2809 (2 reviews written)

I changed from E & L Insurance to Halifax Pet Insurance, mainly due to E & L appalling service. It's the best decision I made. Halifax Pet Insurance staff are superbly efficient, understanding and caring, and unlike E & L do actually answer the telephone.

I made a claim on 29 May 2009 and received settlement on 10th June 2009. This is what you need when making a claim, not delays with feeble excuses, like no one to sign a cheque, computers crashed, it's in the process etc etc. Well done… Read Full Review

“Took out our halifax policy some time ago for my dog....”

Written on: 13/05/2009 by ian bonthrone (1 review written)

Took out our halifax policy some time ago for my dog. In 2008 she was diagnosed with heart problems and arthritis. Initially Halifax were good, excess was £50 per condition. have made regular claims each month for medication and to start with claims were dealt with quickly, things changed slowly and now payments are slow to get back to me. Got a letter from them today saying my policy is up for renewal in june, and excess per condition will now be £100.They also put my annual premium up by… Read Full Review

Whodunnit's Response to ian bonthrone's Review

Written on: 12/03/2011

This sounds about right for the Halifax Ian. However looking at reviews have you tried vetsmedicare, I don't know about the small print of the policy but it might be worth checking out. I had a quick look at their website and it looks like that is the insurance I will be taking !

“I had two cocker spaniels insured with Halifax pet...”

Written on: 04/06/2008 by Charliefarley (1 review written)

I had two cocker spaniels insured with Halifax pet insurance and at £140 per dog (before second dog discount), the cost of £6000 lifetime cover with £50 excess was competitive.
One small claim was paid promptly without quibble.
However, the rate jumped 30% to £182, although a 5% on-line discount was available.
I asked Halifax why they had increased their charges so much and they said that, while some premiums had increased, others had decreased, depending on the breed, age and… Read Full Review

“The general cover of this policy is pretty damn good (...”

Written on: 15/04/2008 by Bromley86 (2 reviews written)

The general cover of this policy is pretty damn good ( £6k per year, lifetime). Our puppy was diagnosed with hip dysplasia and we've had no problems claiming, even for £400 of hydrotherapy.

I am expecting the premiums to increase in our second year, not least because it looks like we'll be claiming for a £5k operation this year on her hip (and then perhaps another £5k next year!). However, as they started off at 1/3 of PetPlan's, they can increase it a hell of a lot before we end up… Read Full Review

“I had both my cats insured with them under their Extra...”

Written on: 15/12/2007 by MicheleFranks (1 review written)

I had both my cats insured with them under their Extra scheme and have had to claim on each. One of them developed bone cancer and had to have operations, jabs, etc but finally had to be put to sleep. There was no quibble over the many claims I put in and they paid up quickly. They dealt with everything their end regarding stopping the cover and paying out for her death, which was unexpected… Read Full Review