Nissan X-Trail 2.2Di Sport Reviews

Media Gallery for Nissan X-Trail 2.2Di Sport

Nissan X-Trail 2.2Di Sport
Nissan X-Trail 2.2Di Sport

“Great Motor!”

Written on: 25/05/2013 by Roger1315 (1 review written)

Was a little apprehensive about buying a car with 120000 miles on the clock. I have now had the motor 8 months and the mileage has climbed to 127000. Very economical car, never let me down and a great tow car for my 20' caravan. The car is 10 years old but the engine sounds like a new one! I have bought and sold nearly 40 cars in my driving life and never had one longer than 3 years but I love this motor and hope to have it many years!… Read Full Review

“great car a must”

Written on: 22/02/2013 by daz750 (1 review written)

I got my x trail sport love it only 2 things back wheel archers seem to rust up to solve this use underseal it is a common fault mine is a 52 plate now done 105.000 miles just change fluids every 6k part from that no probs plus put reverse sensors on it for mrs… Read Full Review

“Cutting Out Problem”

Written on: 07/02/2012

I bought the car privately last year with 83,000 miles on the clock. The test drive was very good but cut out when we finished the drive. I thought it was because of low fuel. Filled it up got home but cutout on tick over and bad starting. My son who is ex Nissan mechanic said it was the camshaft sensor as he had replaced a lot of these because of the same problem. Put new one in and it did not correct the problem, so went on line and saw the next thing was mega bucks to fix. So we decided to… Read Full Review

“solid dependable work horse High mileage but recent issues”

Written on: 28/06/2011 by andydrat (1 review written)

This is an honest dependable work horse, From new it has averaged around 40mpg under mixed driving. I have used it on road, off road ( tracks, rivers, across fields and through deep snow and hard packed ice) It has now got 146,000 miles (yes thats right) and according to the local Nissan agent the highest mileage they have seen. Problems have been limited to Accelerator pedal (fly by wire therefore very expensive part - I complained to Nissan about the… Read Full Review

“done my home work b4 got this xtrail read nissian...”

Written on: 12/04/2011

done my home work b4 got this xtrail read nissian reliable 4* out of 5 in most magazines.what rubbish dont get one this thing is never out the garage now the fuel pump gone got a quote £1700.in 11 month i have spent over a £1000 to keep it going no money left for pump.it cost me £7k add £1k to keep it on road plus £1700 for pump due mot hate to think you looking at £10k worth £5k.this is with full service history.

“I have been very happy with my X-trail apart from the...”

Written on: 27/01/2011

I have been very happy with my X-trail apart from the problem i have had with the breaks I have had both front and rear brake problems and an now on my 3rd set of new rear discs & pads.

I have never had a car before with this problem.

“I searched high and low for the perfect 4x4 for me,...”

Written on: 07/11/2010

I searched high and low for the perfect 4x4 for me, something that was economical, not too big, but could pull a small horse trailer and cope with my very bumpy track and muddy fields.

All was well until yesterday morning when I got in the car to find the oil light on. I immediately filled up and the light went off. However, the engine seemed very restricted, with no pull or drive up hills and through the changes of the gears.

I got a neighbour to look at it last night (mechanic and car… Read Full Review

“2.2di bought 1 year ago rattle on acceloration .back...”

Written on: 01/11/2010

2.2di bought 1 year ago rattle on acceloration .back to garage found fault to be injectors they replaced free of charge ok now but not much power below 2250 rpm which makes towing caravan hard work and drinks diesel but still like it. leather interior fab. comfey as you would expect.nice lookingand ok to drive swapped x type jag .no regrets .would liked to know about lack of power before buying and also fuel economy having said that i would not swap it… Read Full Review

“We have had our 54 plate X trail only a few months and...”

Written on: 22/07/2010

We have had our 54 plate X trail only a few months and it seems to need something on a monthly basis: Air Conditioning Fault (apparently comon with 54 plates), intercooler has burst £533+vat + fitting, fuel and oil filters have been replaced only a couple of thousand miles after the last service and MOT and were completely choked, can;t blame the windscreen chip on the car. Fuel efficiency so far has been well below what reviews led us to believe and the black smoke coming out of the exhaust… Read Full Review

Doug99's Comment

Written on: 07/08/2010

The X-trail does seem prone to problems. I have a 53 Sport X which had done 56K miles when the timing chain snapped completely wrecking the engine. I have just paid £3600 to have the engine removed, rebuilt and reinstalled.
<br/>My initial reaction was to ditch the car but as it would have been worth only scrap value I have paid out and hope it will last for many years.
<br/>However it has to be said that 56K is nothing for a diesel engine (or even petrol) and I doubt whether I would ever buy a Nissan again
<br/>

“ ”

Written on: 01/02/2010 by galbrac (2 reviews written)

Bought this when I retired, since then it has had one intercooler, 4 turbos and 3 fuel boost sensors replaced. I currently have a problem with the battery discharing over night. It has never gone more than 6 months without a problem.

As I am retired I cannot afford to replace it, getting close to the point where I cannot afford to run it either.

I contacted Nissan to bring their attention to my plight, all they were interested in was whether or not I would buy another Nissan, after… Read Full Review

“Mine's a 2007 Aventura. A very nice compact 4 wheel...”

Written on: 30/11/2009 by Fidd (3 reviews written)

Mine's a 2007 Aventura. A very nice compact 4 wheel drive, being the Aventura it has all the kit like sat-nav, heated leather etc. all for a sensible price as well. Bought a petrol one as I strongly dislike the Renault Diesel engines, they have far too many major problems which makes them not worth buying especially once out of warranty - check on Google if you are unsure. The petrol gives really good economy if driven properly as well, which some people might find surprising. Good reliabilty… Read Full Review

“The Cold Start Engine Clatter is Back again on Our...”

Written on: 30/05/2009 by splutter (1 review written)

The Cold Start Engine Clatter is Back again on Our Nissan X-Trail 2.2Di Sport but this time Nissan Have agreed that there is a problem and are going to replace 3 more injectors , That's the 3 that were not replaced last year...................SO IF YOU HAVE THE SAME CLATTER TAKE IT BACK AND INSIST ON NEW INJECTORS. I THINK WE ARE WINNING!!
Nissan will issue you with a Customer Service Bulletin, read it hand it back amd insist on new injectors.
i have it on good authority that Nissan know there… Read Full Review

Daz750's Response to 463694_splutter's Review

Written on: 22/02/2013

had cold start clatter put slick 50 in 19,99 clatter gone car now done 105.000 no clatter top car great this winter just change fluid every 6k

“Bought a new Nissan X Trail Sport Artix 2.0 TDI 173...”

Written on: 08/04/2009 by Beacon (1 review written)

Bought a new Nissan X Trail Sport Artix 2.0 TDI 173 bhp with Safari roof lights, Chrome side steps, reversing camera, blue tooth, Satnav, keyless entry and all the trimmings , £7000 off retail price, a great deal. Pity about the chronic dealership, wont go there again… Read Full Review

“My Nissan X-Trail is a 2004 2.2dci model. Engine was...”

Written on: 29/10/2008 by davethedog2000 (2 reviews written)

My Nissan X-Trail is a 2004 2.2dci model. Engine was missing a beat and not allowing me to accelerate past 2500rpm earlier this year and after much messing about by local Nissan Dealer, they replaced the fuel filter and all was fine until this week. Problem has returned with vengeance so heading off once again to have another fuel filter fitted by a local mechanic.
I have done 25k miles since the last replacement in January, never let fuel run down, always fill up at Tesco and do mainly motorway… Read Full Review

Written on: 31/10/2008

I have an 05 Nissan X-trail and am a little concerned about the turbo problems most people seem to have had so I'm very interested to here yours has done over 100K without a failure. Question is what's the secret as I have only had mine for a year and the first owner had the turbo fail at 12K. Its OK so far since fingers crossed now at 33K but would be interested to know if you leave it running before switch off or any other tips.

Written on: 12/11/2008

I do my own servicing and have changed fuel filters before.<br/>I had an 03 model last and changed the filter which looked daunting but was pretty straight forward. You need to remove the hoses from both sides of the filter head and unbolt the complete assembly. You can then easily unscrew the filter and replace. I have the Nissan workshop manual and drain the filter once a year as recommended. Most times its been pretty clean but when I drained the one on my transit van last month I drained out about a cup full of foul water which although had not started to effect the performance, you could easily see how it could.<br/>Apparently water gets in at some filling station tanks on a fairly common basis and grows a type of algae slim. If your unlucky to fill up when the tank is running low its not uncommon to end up with a tank of diesel mixed with water and slim which will obviously get into your filter.

Davethedog2000's Response to davethedog2000's Review

Written on: 11/11/2008

My miles are mainly motorway miles, although those miles are generally rush hour on the M25. Spot on about the oil leak as well. I have exactly that issue but it has never been an issue or mentioned as an issue.<br/><br/>I did try to replace the fuel filter myself this weekend but got nervous and gave up! Not for the faint-hearted. Got it booked in with a mate next week so will report back on performance when that is done.

Written on: 05/11/2008

I notice you are covering quite a few miles per year, is your driving mostly motorway or round town? I guess yours is the 136BHP and not the 112BHP model. The intercoolers on these models tend to develop a small oil leak after a few years which does not effect performance at all, but as it is situated on top of the engine causes an oily mess all down the engine. I have discovered that quite a few people have had both there turbo's and intercooler replaced having reported the leak even though the oil leak most probably has had nothing to do with the turbo. I have discovered that a small amount of oil mist from the engine breather is finding its way into the air intake and misleading both untrained and trained Nissan mechanics into thinking the turbo is the cause. I just wonder how many people have paid to have this work done!

Davethedog2000's Response to davethedog2000's Review

Written on: 04/11/2008

Not sure if this is in the right place, but in reply to your question - No, I don't do anything special!! <br/><br/>Fuel filter problem actually turned out to be a loose union on the fuel pump which was causing a diesel leak and lack of pressure. Local mechanic (friend of mine) took the trouble to work it out and tighten the screw all for the price of a curry! Runs fine now.<br/>In all honesty, the car runs and looks as good as new. I get it serviced every 12k miles but that's it. No other problems to report at all. I guess either I am lucky or other people are unlucky but bear in mind that most people only write on sites like this when they have something to moan about and there are 1000's of seemingly healthy X-trails on the road. <br/>So best of luck with yours and I will keep my fingers crossed for mine!

“The Nissan X-trail is a good car, on '05 plates, no...”

Written on: 31/08/2008 by Whittaker420 (6 reviews written)

The Nissan X-trail is a good car, on '05 plates, no problems. The interior could be better but hey. For those complaining about small whells, and low power. What do you expect from a small 4x4, ITS A DIESEL, not a Lambo!… Read Full Review

“It has got tremendous power for its class. The mounted...”

Written on: 20/08/2008

It has got tremendous power for its class. The mounted headlamps in the roof rails makes it cooler looking. Good four wheel drive system. Its a good suv for its money. I think that Nissan could have fitted it with a bigger wheel to make it more cool looking and produce a better engine that has 200hp but still is cheap… Read Full Review

“I am a professional engineer (Chartered Mechanical)...”

Written on: 02/03/2008 by amayland (1 review written)

I am a professional engineer (Chartered Mechanical) and have worked in Automive Component Supply for 20 years. Even with my 'insider knowledge' I was caught out by the Nissan X-Trail. The 2007 new X-Trail has even more BHP out of a smaller diesel engine - very worrying.....my personal recommendation is forget Nissan all together, they use too many Renault parts now and that means higher variation = lower reliability. By a Honda, Toyota, Kia or a Hyundai if you want peace of mind. If you want… Read Full Review

Rupertmc's Response to 348691_amayland's Review

Written on: 25/12/2008

I found this review unhelpful because the author has given little understanding of the problems he has faced and the way he tried to resolve them. Being a mechanical engineer I would hope for a greater level of detail.

Alan Barcroft 's Response to 348691_amayland's Review

Written on: 09/06/2010

I found this review very helpful because...it let me the engine was renault and other parts were incressing french and was be a enginner

“Mine is an early 2003 model, ie. the lower bhp...”

Written on: 21/02/2008 by aandaleach (1 review written)

Mine is an early 2003 model, ie. the lower bhp version. However it is undoubtedly more reliable than the upgrade Nissan did in the second half of 2003 to the higher bhp model judging by what I have read. Now has 82,000 on clock and still goes very well. Always serviced at correct intervals. Have to be careful not to overfill with oil; it seems to have a very shallow sump and this possibly could cause smoky exhaust? But passes emission test OK. Seems very reliable so far. But after reading so… Read Full Review

“Comfortable motor. Plenty of power. Nice vehicle bit I...”

Written on: 03/02/2008 by colin188 (1 review written)

Comfortable motor. Plenty of power. Nice vehicle bit I hope it does not encounter problems like other drivers have found… Read Full Review

“The Nissan X-trail good speed for a car like this and...”

Written on: 26/01/2008

The Nissan X-trail good speed for a car like this and is fantastic off-road, also the sound system is incredible, at least for the 2004 Sport 4X4. Its good!… Read Full Review