Countrywide Property Management Reviews

Countrywide Property Management - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Countrywide Property Management

Countrywide Property Management

“Cheltenhamrainwater sterted pouring in to my home in...”

Written on: 21/10/2014

Rainwater started pouring into my home in January 2014. The inlet to the valley guttering was blocked. Countrywide had no knowledge of this listed property and had never inspected the roof as maintenance. Countrywide failed to act appropriately and did not set up a roof inspection until July 6th!! A damage report was published immediately. Severe damage to my home from the storm on August 10th. To date the work required has not been carried out. … Read Full Review

Gl53's Comment

Written on: 22/10/2014

No idea why I gave even one star!! Simply too kind I think.

“Worst Company Ever”

Written on: 13/10/2014 by Gadgetgeezer (3 reviews written)

Have always paid my bills for the last 9 years. Just recently paid one and it shows on my bank account but they write me some pathetic letter saying I haven't. Expect this will take ages to resolve. They also don't carry out safety critical repairs. We have a car park whose retaining wall is crumbling and it could give way at any moment. Have they done anytying? Nope!!!! A lesson to us all is: if you buy a Freehold property and the developer (Bovis) decides to get in a Management Company… Read Full Review

“help needed with their "admin" charges and their...”

Written on: 05/09/2014 by ben5192 (1 review written)

hi, I have had letters from them stating that I owe them now about £1000 due to my postal re direction ending and my tenant not fwding me the post, anyway this original bill for was £65 which I paid as soon as I found out offered to set up direct debit etc which they apparently don't do. the extras are solicitors fees and their "admin" charges, do I have any chance of getting this reduced… Read Full Review

Jasoncooke93's Response to ben5192's Review

Written on: 07/09/2014

My advice - don't even think about paying this faux invoice. Ask them to take you to court - they don't stand a chance. But first consider they may mess with your credit rating. Unfortunately the insane credit system we now have, means any company has free access to do as they see fit with your credit file.

Nrcw34's Response to ben5192's Review

Written on: 08/10/2014

Hi, I have a similar issue with them at the moment, in August I rang them and paid my £530 six monthly (in advance) service charge and specifically asked if that was all I owed...Yes that's all mr client all sorted for another 6 months...roll on a few weeks and I return from Holiday to a snotty letter from Swaine Allen (look at the bottom of their paper they are still lockings just trading under another name) saying I owed £75 and by the way Countrywide have added £300 admin plus Swaine Allen are charging £342 so a £75 dept that's been outstanding 60 days is costing me £642...thing Wonga would be proud of that return...Ive paid the £75 that I accept I do owe (ground rent) but surely they should have told me that it was owed when I paid my service charge. they are sneaky low life's of the worst kind

Negligent_Incompetents's Response to ben5192's Review

Written on: 10/09/2014

It's probably more lucrative for Countrywide (& their solicitor cronies) to not offer direct debits to their victims, plus their administration have trouble tying their shoelaces let alone organize administration or property management.
Pay the outstanding sum(- solicitor fees) to Countrywide, return to sender any waste paper sent from the third party interloper parasites, & arrange with your fellow lessees/victims to employ alternative management agents who are actually interested in service & not just revenue for the shareholders.
Incidentally, who were the solicitors you received correspondence from?
Good to have some transparency... ;)

Ben5192's reply to Negligent_Incompetents's Comment

Written on: 10/09/2014

Their solicitors are swaine and allen from memory, they have given me 14 days now to pay up the full amount hich i think is unreasonable for a start. I have replied wanting to have a list of dates of when they sent want letter and what the content of letters were along ith a list of the charges etc

Negligent_Incompetents's reply to Ben5192's Comment

Written on: 13/09/2014

Not a pleasant situation you (& many other victims of Countrywide PLC) find themselves in.
Thanks for the information regarding the solicitors trying to contract with you.

QualitySolicitorsLockings used to do the bidding for Countrywide PLC, maybe they do not wish to soil their “family solicitor” brand any longer with nefarious sources of revenue, or be associated with incompetents such as Countrywide PLC.
Settle the alleged debt with the fees for letters to Countrywide PLC.
Return unopened any mail sent from 3rd party interlopers.

& remember, you’ll be judged by the company you keep ;)

Negligent_Incompetents's reply to Negligent_Incompetents's Comment

Written on: 15/09/2014

Edit.. Cannot post links on here, i added links to Swaine Allen & QualityLockings sites on my last post which do not show.
Check the meet our team pages...

Ben5192's reply to Negligent_Incompetents's Comment

Written on: 15/09/2014

how do you mean?

“Unbelievably bad experience with this company”

Written on: 27/08/2014 by DPBentley (1 review written)

Blundells a trading arm of Countrywide Property Management provided a ‘fully managed property service’ for us over the last 3 years, charging 10% of the rental for their services. We were led to believe that they would ensure our property (previously our home) was being well looked after by the tenants while we were out of the country, or at least advise us otherwise. The property was always ‘well maintained and looked after’, but 3 years and 2 tenants later, we have had hundreds of… Read Full Review

Jasoncooke93's Response to DPBentley's Review

Written on: 07/09/2014

Please post a link to the Property Ombudsman you used. Would be very useful for all reviewers so they can submit complaints.

Dpbentley's reply to Jasoncooke93's Comment

Written on: 07/09/2014

Anyone can access the Property Ombudsman's web-site where all the required forms are available to download and can be forwarded to them.

It's lengthy and time-consuming for (in our case) little reward. However we hope if more people complain then the Property Ombudsman' totally impotent 'Code of Conduct' may have to become robust enough to ensure Countrywide are made to manage the property in accordance with the Tenants Agreement, rather than be judged on a purely paper exercise.

You can also complain to their Trade Association (see Countrywide's web-site), but generally these associations are funded by the Lettings Agents themselves, and are therefore a joke.

It's a shame this review site wouldn't publish our e-mail address as we wanted to arm any absent Landlord's out there who were worried about their property and wanted to learn how best to protect their investment whilst under the 'management' of Countrywide. But the most important piece of advice we can give is not to believe a word they say about the state of your property unless they give you proof.

Hope that helps!

“Rogue Company”

Written on: 23/08/2014 by qnBatchelor485 (1 review written)

This company has way too many negative reviews to be ignored. A company well known for operating to the outer edges of lawful. Staffed by incompetent and rude employees. The scams operated by this company have one purpose - to fleece as much money as possible from leaseholders Little surprise to learn the CEO is an ex banker… Read Full Review

Negligent_Incompetents's Comment

Written on: 10/09/2014

Excellent post. A concise & accurate review.
Victims should do some research as who who is pulling the strings.

Lukerahman's Comment

Written on: 17/10/2014

hi am an employee of the firm and totally agree with you there are so many scams going on that I have found to be unethical and bordering on the illegal
I cannot work for them any more and believe that there practises need to come out in the open

“Shocking”

Written on: 17/08/2014 by Ritchie1975 (1 review written)

I own a property and bought it in July of 2014- I then had a bill through from HLM dating back to January 2013 and I said that I didn't own the property at this time. They said I own the property now so I will either have to pay or it will go against my credit! Shocking customer service - I don't understand why they couldn't have a sorted it in 2013 when the previous owner was living there!… Read Full Review

“Proved useless!! PLEASE READ it may help you ”

Written on: 07/08/2014 by HLMsTHORN (1 review written)

I have actually a freehold property and HLM cover the ground "maintenance" if that's what you want to call it ... all i've had is damage to my home and useless people on the end of the phone , I actually had them in court recently and please people read this and check your "DEED OF COVENANT" we have done this in court and have proved that our deed does not make us liable for any legal charges due to non payment plus ANY admin charges made against us plus the judge also pointed out to HLM that… Read Full Review

Hlmscamnotafan's Response to HLMsTHORN's Review

Written on: 29/08/2014

How do you get a copy of a "DEED OF COVENANt" ?

Hlmsthorn's reply to Hlmscamnotafan's Comment

Written on: 29/08/2014

It should be in with your deeds to the house you can also request this from HLM if needs be , as it proves who is to look after the grounds and what hlms terms are in my case they lost mine but they relied on a copy of my neighbours which states they are liable for all admin and legal charges not the freeholders hope this helps

Written on: 05/09/2014

hi, I have had letters from them stating that I owe then now about £1000 due to my postal re direction ending and my tenant not fwding me the post, anyway this original bill for was £65 which I paid as soon as I found out offered to set up direct debit etc which they apparently don't do.

Hlmsthorn's reply to Ben5192's Comment

Written on: 05/09/2014

Hi , As far as im aware they only do standing orders but should still make you aware of this , also you need to get hold of /have a copy of your original agreement with them either your TP1 and or your deed of covenant , in our case the judges ruling was their charges (the solicitors) and there (HLM's) admin fees were way off the scale and also it states in the deed of covenant and the TP1 that the company (HLM) is liable for all legal and admin fees , if you have trouble with this you can also go to your local court which costs around £40 for a hearing case and state the precedent of our case which was at Walsall county court on August the 7th I think it was , but please check your deeds and TP1 but ring HLM and tell them you know of this trust me they will change there tune as they will not want a very expensive legal case for the cost of £65 , hope this helps :-)

Written on: 03/10/2014

excellent thanks i will give it a bash, i have offered them £130 as a "naughty boy charge" for my payment being late on the advice of someone and to make clear its full and final payment, to which they (the solicitors for countrywide) have declined and said i owe the full amount still, and given 7 days ot pay

Hlmsthorn's reply to Ben5192's Comment

Written on: 03/10/2014

Please check your deed thou first as it has to state in the deed the company (HLM) are liable for charges not you , please also use our case as it set the president for it , and also threaten to take to the civil court as that's only £40 better that then £130 but check your deed and quote our case by the way there solicitors Allen swiane something formally quality lockings even threatend me before court saying they do this every day funny that cause they lost against me lol

“Poor, poor, poor”

Written on: 02/08/2014 by Clark276 (1 review written)

Completely useless service. Unable to bill correctly or maintain estates. No customer service at all. Our new estate has just given them notice. I advise getting another management company in ASAP… Read Full Review

“Teriible service, agents trained to give you the run...”

Written on: 29/07/2014 by eikdin (1 review written)

I selected their Kingston office due to being local an dfound them satisfactory in the beginning. However gradually they showed their true colors. Agents like the person we spoke to are trained to not return calls, not respond to emails and transfer calls to voice mail while being in the office. I would not recommend Countrywide nor their sister company/s like Gascoginee Pees to ANYONE! Stay away from them and do not waste your money on letting your property through them at any cost… Read Full Review

“Rude and Appalling Service”

Written on: 25/07/2014 by ReynaBrady1960 (1 review written)

This company promises the earth and delivers nothing but mistakes and errors from beginning to end. They overcharge by at least a third. The final straw for me was having a member of their surveying team put the phone down on me when I was trying to pay them money in advance for a service I wanted provided. He claimed they had no note of our details even though they'd contacted me, claimed he didn't know who I was despite having sent me an email less than four hours earlier. Previous errors… Read Full Review

“Abhorrent Company with no moral code”

Written on: 24/07/2014 by KiannaBartlett366 (1 review written)

I am extremely disappointed by the continual dodgy dealings, false promises, and potentially fraudulent behavior of Countrywide and their pet solicitors Quality Lockings (who have now changed their name to Swaine Allen no doubt to hide from their god awful reviews too). An example of this behavior I was moving aboard for a period for work so I contacted countrywide and asked them for advice. They stated that changing my address to a foreign one could be problematic and that they could… Read Full Review

“WORSE THAN THE COUNCIL!”

Written on: 14/07/2014 by AnabellaLynch (1 review written)

Countrywide have left our new development looking like a council block - even they are better looked after. I'm 6ft tall and there are weeds surrounding the development that are taller than I am. There has been a dangerously leaning lamppost that has been that way for 4 years despite several complaints. If one resident on the development refuses to pay, they stop all work. The grass in the past has also grown to about 5feet! The rose beds were left to die, and are full of dry clay - the mulch… Read Full Review

“Nasty, lazy people”

Written on: 11/07/2014 by plewis00 (3 reviews written)

A nightmare to get hold of when you want them, but just wait until they want something from you (usually money), they will be on at you all the live-long day with letters mostly - likely cut from a template. Have no grasp of how to communicate with human beings, apparently everyone else is pond life to them and needs to be spoken down to. Slap administrative charges on everything they do in the hope you'll pay them without question. I actually got told off once for ringing them before 9am and… Read Full Review

“Countrywide are legal theifs!”

Written on: 07/07/2014 by Brendonx306 (1 review written)

Countrywide are an absolute disgrace,they put our service charges up every year but the block never has any maintenance done to it.when they painted the stairwells they charged each resident £400 extra on their charges,they have recently taken £900 off of each resident to resurface the car park and fit a new front door this was over a year ago and still we have had no car park or door, We can never get hold of any one to speak too at their office they are always away from their desk or at… Read Full Review

“Just Awful”

Written on: 12/06/2014

This has to be one of the worst companies I have ever had to deal with. No one what anyone else is meant to be doing, everybody is misinformed, and they appear to get annoyed when you have and issue such as faulty electrics on a shower. Still, it only took them 10 months to sort that one for us. Now they are trying to charge for work that needs to be done from our deposit, although the work was already charged from the previous tenants deposit yet the work was never carried out. Trying to… Read Full Review

“Worst company ever”

Written on: 28/05/2014

Countrywide managed a let property for me. They provided no service I spent more time managing them than they did managing the property. The first ploy was always to pass you on rather than manage the issue. They never ever replied back to you you always had to chase them. They treated the Clinet as a cash cow which had to be miked until it wwas dry. When challenged about extra charges they back down The tatic was to be hoped not to be caught out or think people would not notice. Only only gave… Read Full Review

“HLM part of Countrywide dont go near them ”

Written on: 23/05/2014 by Tilley136 (1 review written)

Where to start, I'm a leaseholder and have the pleasure of HLM as the managing agent. The development is about 8 years old and HLM were employed by the landlord Walton Homes since day 1. Their management cost has increased every year and when challenged To explain how their management fee has been calculated they reply by advising me "we charge a fixed fee which is recognised as good practice" I'm also frustrated that every time a maintenance issues arises there is no attempt to recover any… Read Full Review

“AVOID THIS COMPANY LIKE THE PLAGUE - DO NOT USE -”

Written on: 14/05/2014 by jIanson77 (1 review written)

As a landlord, I employed this company to provide management for one of my properties. I expect my tenants to be treated with respect and their queries to be attended to. After being contacted directly by my own tenants, I was utterly appauled at the way they had been treated - thankfully backed up with written and recorded evidence by Countrywide Property Management (CPM). Issues were not brought to my attention, and I listened in to a phone conversation between them and CPM. CPM lied about… Read Full Review

Topoftheworld13's Response to jIanson77's Review

Written on: 20/05/2014

The OFT is undertaking a market study of the industry.

It invites interested parties to submit evidence of the functioning of the market. Being a half glass full person, I have submitted my negative experience of Countrywide and other properties we own to the OFT and would encourage other such dissatisfied individuals of Countrywide and otehr property management companies to do likewise.

“ABSOLUTELY DISGRACEFUL”

Written on: 11/05/2014 by Beachax188 (1 review written)

Our flat is in a development for over 55's. There are over apartments and some of the residents are very elderly and infirm being in their 80's amd 90's. This disgraceful company have been promising the redecorate stairs, halls and communal areas ever since I moved in - it has still not been done and looks very tacky now. In the last 15 months the windows have been cleaned twice, and at present there is no window cleaner at all. There have been issues about parking, and when I attended a… Read Full Review

“just taking money without completing the service”

Written on: 06/05/2014 by Kingqa1969 (1 review written)

4 years i have lived in my flat and every year they have increased the charges starting when i first moved in from £700annually to now £1350 for 2 years no cleaning of communal areas. i have been contacting them constantly asking them to fix the situation and only just reinstating the cleaning but won't refund us. I just get oh that not my department i have been asking for 6 months for copy's of account for our estate not just estimates they have been unable to provide me with that… Read Full Review