Tesco Opticians Reviews - www.tescoopticians.com

Showing star rating of:

(cancel refinement)

“unhygienic”

Written on: 18/08/2012

I had a contact lens test at the Broadstairs branch. When I rested my chin on the equipment I could smell the body odours of other people. I then had to place my chin on another piece of equipment and that had a smear of lipstick on it. I was told to take my lenses out, but not offered anywhere to wash my hands. After the test where yellow dye is dropped onto the eyes, the optician had finished, again i was not offered an opportunity to wash my hands before putting lenses back in, plus unlike… Read Full Review

“Great Optician but......”

Written on: 05/12/2011 by guest66677 (1 review written)

Went for an eye test as found out my local tesco had an opticians ( braintree great notley). The optician who did my eye test, seby i think his name was, was excellent. one of the best test ive ever had. was very professional, knew what he was doing and friendly.... i thought great... until he passed me over to a grumpy lady named stevie. you can just tell she dont like her job. she was helpless, moody and just couldn't be bothered with her job. it really put me off.. the only reason i… Read Full Review

“I took my most recent prescription to Tesco Opticians...”

Written on: 30/09/2010 by jwalkden (19 reviews written)

I took my most recent prescription to Tesco Opticians because of a special offer for 2 pairs of glasses (really good value) and great choice of frames. I had 2 pairs of glasses made - one semi rimless with the thinnest lenses and the other with a full frame & photochromic lenses (though I couldn't have the photochromic ones with the thinnest lenses). One pair of glasses was ready fairly quickly, but the other one (with photochromic lenses) took a good few weeks to be ready and I kept getting… Read Full Review

“ I would like to point out that my rating would be 5...”

Written on: 12/01/2010 by Mamma2 five (14 reviews written)

I would like to point out that my rating would be 5 star if I knew without doubt that the assistant who conducted the first part of my eye test was fully qualified to do so. All the assistants wore navy suits and spectacles, bar the Optician, and I am now alarmed in case my first tests were undertaken by an unqualified person. In the past, only an optician/optometrist has conducted those tests. Why did the Tesco Optician not perform the full range of tests himself?

When I arrived at the… Read Full Review

Katiefisher's Response to Mamma2 five's Review

Written on: 03/03/2010

I work as an assistant at Tesco Opticians, i am not a qualified Optometrist. We are not qualified as we do not make any make any clinical descisions regarding the the health or sight of the customers eye.
<br/>
<br/>When you refer to the "first half" of the sight test, i would like to correct you in saying that, this is what we refer to as "pre-screening".
<br/>
<br/>The first machine is an auto-refractometer (key word being auto), this is done by placing the customers chin on a rest and leaning there forehead on a bar infront. It is a devise that measures the power and range of the vision. Once the head is in place the assistant simply pushes one button, and the machne does all the work. The assistant then transfers the information to the customers record card for the qualified optometrist to review.
<br/>
<br/>The second machine is a tonometer, an instrument for measuring the intraocular pressure by sensing deflections of the cornea in reaction to a puff of pressurized air. Again, the assistant simply places the customers head onto the forehead rest and pushes a button. The information is also recorded onto the customers record card for the qualified optometrist to review.
<br/>
<br/>If this information was not recorded by the assistant it would not have been checked by the optometrist, then you may have reason to worry. If this information was not on the record card, the optometrist would carry out the sight test, and ask the assistant to measure the intraocular pressure afterwards. (The auto-refractonometer findings are not clinically nessesary). No prescription would be issued until the optometrist is sure this has been done and checked.
<br/>
<br/>Tesco simply choose to have the assistants carry out the initial pre-screening, to save valuable time for the optometrist to carry out the sight test. 20 minutes is allocated for the sight test, how would you feel if half of that time had been used by the optometrist on machinery that an assistant is capable enough to use, and does not need qualifications to do so.
<br/>
<br/>If you require any further information, please feel free to contact our customer service team.
<br/>
<br/>******* Tesco are now giving out free sight tests to all private patients on a permenant basis *******

“I had my eyes tested at the Tesco opticians on...”

Written on: 21/02/2009 by marco999 (27 reviews written)

I had my eyes tested at the Tesco opticians on Middlebrook retail park Bolton. The test itself was carried out very professionally, the optician taking her time and using all up-to-date equipment and techniques, each part of the test was explained fully to me and made perfect sense; I was encouraged to relax, take my time and complete the test properly - which I did. After the test was over my results (prescription) were ready in a few short minutes. I was then encouraged to browse their range… Read Full Review