Tesco Opticians Reviews - www.tescoopticians.com

Media Gallery for Tesco Opticians - www.tescoopticians.com

Tesco Opticians - www.tescoopticians.com

Showing star rating of:

(cancel refinement)

“Poor quality glasses, misleading on prices ”

Written on: 04/04/2014 by Daisya420 (1 review written)

I purchased 2 pairs of glasses 2 weeks ago, one pair has already has a broken lense, the glasses are clearly to weak and not fit for purpose!, I am annoyed with myself as I bought these exact glasses about 2 years ago and exactly the same happened however I put it down to my toddler grabbing them, now I relaise they are just weak and brittle.... Never again... I appreciate they offer you a strengthening coating at a further cost, but the glasses shouldn't be that weak,, … Read Full Review

“my ears are no good”

Written on: 25/01/2014 by aqndrew (1 review written)

After the optician bent my glasses out of shape i said im not having them now, he said my ears were not symettrical on my head.They are changing them to match another pair that fit my abnormal head.Would not go to tesco again ,only for milk i suppose… Read Full Review

“Good service, but”

Written on: 15/01/2014

The quality of the frames are very poor. They are cheap but that does not make them good value for money. Mine keep falling apart. I must have been back about5 times with 2 pairs over the last 6 months. I use the Burnley store… Read Full Review

“service?”

Written on: 24/11/2013 by Caribpilot (1 review written)

October 23: I took my glasses in for repair at Orpington. Told that: It will take 7-10 days. I gave all contact details: home and mobile names plus email address October 24: Glasses sent to lab? Day 10+ NO contact at all from ANYONE at Tesco. I went to Tesco, Orpington - NO glasses. I visited Orpington and insisted that they find out what has happened. After an hour, Orpington called and told me that "Glasses had been broken at the lab and that they would have to remake them." DAY 29!… Read Full Review

“Shabby service - wrong prescription lenses”

Written on: 22/08/2013

I went to Tesco Optician in Twickenham as I wanted to try their services. I must say, this is not for everyone. I experienced the following things: Customer service was poor, either untrained or unskilled. They asked me openly my private information in store while other customers around, I felt rather uneasy. Optician who examined my eyes was actually kind enough to give me advice for various things. But ladies outside the consultation room are not competent. One lady who explained to me… Read Full Review

“TESCO, WESTERN AVENUE, CARDIFF”

Written on: 26/05/2013

My regular contact lens check was very swift - the object seemed to be 'can you read the chart' rather that checking the health of my eyes. No check to see if the lenses were having a detrimental effect on my eyes, or if the lenses were 'sitting' on my eyes as they should be. The price of the check-up was about the best for the area but this is the worse check I've ever had. The cost of buying new lenses with Tesco is very competitive so well done on this point… Read Full Review

Carlat's Comment

Written on: 27/07/2013

I used to get my contact lens checks done at Tesco when it was 20 minutes.
Unfortunately Tesco has cut the time for contact lens check to 10 minutes!!!

This doesn't allow the optician to provide a full and comprehensive contact lens check, or allow you to raise any problems that you may have.

Its really stupid because they charge the contact lens wearer £15 for the 10 minute appointment, yet it is free for a 20 minute sight test.

Does that make any sense at all? I mean these are your eyes and having a contact lens check is really important to make sure they are healthy!!! Stupid huh!

Carlat0's Comment

Written on: 27/07/2013

Forgot to say £15 is cheap for a contact lens check, but you don't get much for your money at Tesco now. It was better before.

You are better paying £10 more and having a thorough examination of your eyes. Believe me 10 minute checks in not industry standard!

I won't go back until they change their lens checks back to 20 minutes. Its a shame as I really liked the optician there.

“Poor quality of made for you varifocal lenses”

Written on: 19/05/2013

These were the concerns during the prescription of my glasses (costing £330) 1. Optometrists prescription was way off the mark 2. There was a scratch mark on one of the lenses 3. There was heat mark on the Armani frame poor workmanship 4. The varifocal zone was incorrect positioned (too high) as I was unable to see distance with ease again not good enough. Went to tesco second time The staff is courteous, trained but no way near the proper opticians like specsavers of vision express Most of… Read Full Review

Niclilly's Comment

Written on: 10/07/2013

I wear Varifocals, and decided to try Tesco's, BIG mistake. after having my eyes tested 3 times all with a different prescription, I ended up going back to Specsavers and found that the prescription way off. during the 2 months I had trying to sort my glasses out they made them up incorrectly with the reading bit in the wrong place, then they got the prisms wrong (that hurts your eyes). eventually they agreed to give me a full refund, I saw the optician whilst getting my refund and he said "of well some you win some you lose" never again will I go to Tesco's for glasses. Also as a foot note the way they test you eyes is very old fashioned

Paul-Conway's Comment

Written on: 20/07/2013

I bought two-for-one varifocals from the Chichester, West Sussex store. I have previously worn glass but was assured by the Tesco optician manager in store that they only do plastic lenses because they are now so good, and safer. Paid £410 plus £20 for a cheap mid-range computer pair. The varifocals showed after a few weeks, but I simply couldn't see more than 25 feet, a complete blur. Returned to shop, checked the prescription, bent the frame around, etc, try that for a week. Back to store after a week, can't read number plates or road signs, dangerous. They ordered new lenses, try that for three monts to 'let your eyes adjust'. Back after three months, still blurred beyond perhaps 30 feet. Manager tells me it is his last day, requests I leave it for a few weeks because they won't have anyone in store to sort it out.

I must be an idiot because I left it for a few weeks, now wearing my old glass varifocals that are still fine (just I now do a lot of computer work so wanted stronger lenses lower down). Went back to store to see the new manager around three weeks ago. He says it is a mystery, he will consult with someone and call me,

Two weeks no call. I cll him and he says "must be because you are used to glass, we can't do glass. We could put a single vision lens in for you, that would be OK for driving". I point out that I bought varifocals because I want specs that will do distance and close work. No response. I ask what refund I would get if I allowed them to fit the cheap single vision lenses. Ready? He says they wouldn't give me a refund of any sort because there was "nothing wrong with the spectacles" (apart from I can't see with them of course, is that fit for purpose?)
Currently going through a complaints procedure with Tesco without much hope of them being reasonable, but if not will end up in small claims court. DO NOT, repeat DO NOT, buy any spectacles from this bunch of know nothing greedy people, they will take your moneey and shaft you.

“Four months on at least one pair of faulty glasses!”

Written on: 25/04/2013

Discovered I needed glasses for the first time at Tesco, optician was great. Bought two pairs, was never notified of when they arrived in store as I was told, I had to hassle and hassle. I returned FIVE times because my glasses needed adjusting (they did not offer this service when I picked them up, then the machine was broken, then someone else couldn't adjust them because my face was just too wonky apparently). One pair of glasses seemed better than the other, went back twice, told they're… Read Full Review

“Not good for contact lenses”

Written on: 30/01/2013

I have never worn contact lenses before, so i decided to book an appointment with Tesco optician. i paid £15. They did a thorough eye test and the staff were friendly but i was not happy with the lenses, they seemed too strong so my prescription was changed but still no better. The optician gave me the wrong size lenses and made me wear them for an hour even though i said my eye was quite sore when he finally took them out he used only his one hand, his fingers dug into the bottoms of my eyes… Read Full Review

“5 weeks for lenses to arrive !”

Written on: 07/11/2012

I had a test for contact lenses at Brookfield Farm 3 weeks ago and still haven't received my lenses (ordered on the day of the test). When no-one had contacted me after two weeks I phone the branch to find out what was happening. I was told they ordered the wrong lenses and would have to re-order new ones. However, no-one seemed to have noticed this until I phoned the optician myself. Now I've j ust been told (no-one mentioned this before) that I have to have an Aftercare appointment before… Read Full Review

“Unbelievably bad!”

Written on: 27/07/2012 by stephen.whitfield (1 review written)

I had my eyes tested for the first time ever at Tesco Opticians, Dragonville, Durham on 10th June 2012 and chose 2 pairs of spectacles(buy one get one free)for a cost of £149. I had a phone call on 18th June to say they were ready and picked them up that evening and was happy with them, although disappointed to see that a new offer commenced 2 days after my eye test offering free prescription sunglasses which would have been more advantageous to me than the other offer and I felt this could… Read Full Review

Guest's Response to stephen.whitfield's Review

Written on: 02/08/2012

Why is that an issue...offers change man!

“Sold me bent glasses!!!”

Written on: 23/05/2012 by Susannab (1 review written)

I got a deal on buy one get one free although all assistants and optician very very helpful and poliete they sold me very cheaply made glasses (though not cheap in price!) and they were bent. They also, when fitting them, tightened then...though I could feel no difference and they were still loose. I'm about to go back and complain. I also noticed that one of the girls working there worked as a shop assistant in their actual grocery store for 20 years then as soon as they moved places she ended… Read Full Review

Jodder's Response to Susannab's Review

Written on: 17/01/2014

very unfair review just because someone worked on the shopfloor for 20 years does not mean they have not been trained seems a very silly comment to make

“Go to a different opticians!”

Written on: 08/01/2012

I really wish I had read the reviews before I ordered my glasses. The test was okay but not great, I had better at Boots. When choosing the glasses it wasn't until I'd chosen a pair of frames that I was told they were for men. After looking at the women's frames I chose 2 pairs (bogof) but little did I realise they had plastic lenses so when I picked my glasses up they were so heavy they actually dug into my nose and pushed the skin onto my face. After 2 days I went back to the store and… Read Full Review

Guest's Comment

Written on: 25/02/2012

A little background to begin. I am an Optometrist myslef and have worked for all the large chains such as Boots, Specsaevers, D&A, Scrivens, etc as well as smaller independant outfits. I qualified in 2003 which gives me almost a decade of experience in my field.

1) There is NO difference between an optometrist from tesco, boots or any other opticians. The Optometrists are all fully qualified. Many times the same optician working i boots one week will be in a tesco opticians the next!

2) Plastic lenses are considered the standard lens material today. They are lighter than glass and more shatter resistant. Your assumption that plastic lenses made your glasses Heavy is utterly misinformed.

3) The reason you had some distortion with your new glasses was due to the thinning of the lenses. This means the centre of the lenses is what you are supposed to use, the more further away you stray from the optical centre the greater the distortion. You were advised correctly to allow a period for adaptation - and that is why your free pair without the thinning didnt make you whoozy. Most people are happy to put up with a day or two of adaptation rather than wear big fat lenses that make them look like a pervert.

Final point - If you are completely ignorant about a subject, don't post a review on the internet.

Sparklebug's Comment

Written on: 27/02/2012

You don't have to be ignorant to write a review of the service that the person has received, you also don't have to be rude to the reviewer either. I take it you work for Tesco and don't like the criticism that has been given. Oh and a decade of working in the field doesn't mean you are good at your job, you could be just okay at it.

“Great Optician, Rubbish Manager - Complete Joke!”

Written on: 17/11/2011

I went to the Tesco Opticians in Reading and had a really excellent sight test which was very thorough and comprehensive. Fatima, the lady who tested me, spoke to the manager and told her what I needed. Because I am quite long-sighted I needed thinner lenses. The manager was quite grumpy and rude towards me as well as to the optician, but I still got the glasses as they were on a good deal. I had to deal with the Manager when I collected the glasses, her name is Karen. She was really… Read Full Review

“Decided to have an eye test in Tescos Maesglas,...”

Written on: 06/10/2011

Decided to have an eye test in Tescos Maesglas, Newport as I`m in there every week it`d be convenient. Booked test no problem.Was taken into a very cramped room for a cursory eye exam by someone I`d assumed to be an store assistant. Then taken into another cramped room for an examination with the optician. Room was way too small for comfort and he kept having to stretch over me to alter the test specs.(I wish he`d not had garlic sometime recently too.) Another pretty cursory examination… Read Full Review

“8 weeks to manufacture specs????”

Written on: 27/09/2011

Had a good eye test I felt, and good choice of frames (BOGOF) so was quite optimistic. However, had to go in to chase up and one pair WAS ready, have been told it will be another 3-4 weeks before other pair come in, a total of 2 months from order date! That's after 3 phone calls, and 2 visits, to chase up. Have now put in official complaint - wish I'd seen these reviews before going in there. Will go back to a 'proper' opticians next time… Read Full Review

“Having been to Tesco Opticians 4 years ago I opted to...”

Written on: 10/02/2011

Having been to Tesco Opticians 4 years ago I opted to visit them again. I was confident I'd receive good service and get a good deal. How wrong I was!
The eye test itself didn't seem to last 5 minutes, I didn't feel that it was thorough in the slightest!
I was told my prescription hadn't changed much and it was only necessary to purchase new glasses if I wanted a change. My current set have been repaired a few times (I look after children) so I opted for a new pair.
I was told time and time… Read Full Review

“Tesco Opticians - good eye test as others have said,...”

Written on: 19/06/2009

Tesco Opticians - good eye test as others have said, but no attempt to fit your glasses for you, so very uncomfortable and as I wear varifocals the position is quite critical. I was not impressed with the after care at all. … Read Full Review