Saga Car Insurance Reviews

Saga Car Insurance - Ask a question now

“claims”

Written on: 27/01/2015 by alz207 (1 review written)

please do not take insurence with saga i had a accident in my van reported it 26 days ago still waiting to here from them must have spend 50 pound on telephone to b fogged of or put on hold for 30 mins told my van was a wright off still nothing for promise hire car nothing came just lies after lies totely fed up trying to get answer saga r insurence company from hell… Read Full Review

“Overloaded and incompetent customer service”

Written on: 08/01/2015 by PeterM4242 (1 review written)

I switched my car insurance to Saga Select - WHAT A DISASTER! - their so-called "customer service" is totally overloaded. As a result, they did not acknowledge my notice of NCD and cancelled my insurance after 26 days. When I complained and asked how much I was going to get back assuming I should pay 26/365ths of the total premium. OH NO!!!, they "very generously"(!!!) said they would not charge me a cancellation fee, but still retained ALL of the unused Legal Expenses cover. If you try to… Read Full Review

“DO NOT USE SAGA. THEY HAVE ROBBER OVER £100 OUT OF MY...”

Written on: 07/01/2015 by marccrolla95 (1 review written)

DO NOT USE SAGA. THEY HAVE ROBBER OVER £100 OUT OF MY BANK ACCOUNT WHICH THEY JUSTIFIED WITH 'TERMS & CONDITIONS' DESPITE THEM TELLING ME THAT MY INSURANCE WAS CANCELLED THEY CONTINUED TO TAKE OUT THE DIRECT DEBIT AND REFUSED TO PAY IT BACK. THEY ARE CAUSING GREAT FINANCIAL ORDEAL IN MANY LIFE'S AVOID USING THEM AT ALL COSTS. JOKE OF A COMPANY… Read Full Review

“Poor service ”

Written on: 02/01/2015 by Talonb223 (1 review written)

Have just taken out insurance with this company 5/12/14 , should be straight forward they gave me a price I accepted subject too providing proof of no claims discount , So replied to there request for proof of no claims on 5/12/14 via there no claims website format as instructed by them,I thought fine everything done ok , then on 23/12/14 received a letter saying I had failed to provide proof of no claims i called the no given they could nt do anything because different department It… Read Full Review

Tommov2's Comment

Written on: 05/01/2015

Have had the exact same problem with Saga.... My No claims proof is in the post yey nthey say they are going to cancel my insurance today 05/01/15 if the NCD is not received.. Utter disgrace... !!!

“evil perverse company ”

Written on: 08/12/2014 by hmWright375 (1 review written)

I had been a loyal customer for nearly ten years with no claims in February 2009 I was alleged to have reversed into a vehicle while driving a car I had borrowed from a garage while mine was being repaired I returned the vehicle to the garage with no damage aweek later the garage contacted me saying that the vehicle I had been driving had reversed into aparked car when we checked the car it had a very deep scratch down the side probably caused by a key or other sharp object when I… Read Full Review

“Terrible handling of non-fault claim”

Written on: 26/11/2014 by Sladea313 (1 review written)

Accident! Stopped at pedestrian crossing, was rear-ended at approx 2 mph - Offending driver admitted liability (was late for picking up her child from school). Damage - rear bumper split, no personal injury. I live in a village approx 2 miles away from a Ford main dealer offering full repair services, is on other insurer's "approved repairer" lists, but not Saga's. I advised Saga that my report was advice only, that claim was against the other party's insurance. Saga accepted it, passed me to… Read Full Review

Silvabod's Comment

Written on: 05/12/2014

PROGRESS REPORT (or rather, lack of ??)
Car was collected Monday by the Weleyn Garage. Today is Friday (3 p.m)
Enterprise delivered a hire car on Monday (we then had to trek over to Bedford, 12 miles away, to do the paperwork)
Today is Friday - no sign of the car, though we've had several "ambulance-chaser" calls from Saga, each asking about injuries. (There are none).

HAD THIS BEEN REPAIRED BY THE FORD MAIN DEALER, 2 miles away -
1/ they would have ordered the needed panel for next day delivery, pre-painted as it's a standard Ford colour.
2/ They would have called us to deliver our car in the morning, and provided a courtesy car.
3/ They would have called us in the afternoon when the fitting was complete (approx 1 hour's work, they thought) and we would have returned their courtesy car and collected ours. Total time without our car - approx 6 hours

Cost - the repairs using genuine Ford panel, plus 1 day car hire.
We, the customer, would have our car back same day.

ACTUALITY - (5 days to date, as yet, no sign of repaired car)
Cost of lowloader to collect and deliver to (their) selected repairer (NOT a Ford dealership) - I checked - £144.91 incl VAT (so double that for return delivery).
Enterprise car hire quote for 1 week - £110.43.
So, before ther repair even starts, there's £400.25 added to the claim
And, we've been without our car for 5 days (and counting).
The probability is part of the delay is caused by them using a non-Ford panel (thus needing spraying and 3 day cure period) That's what happened on my daughter's Ford - private repair, slightly cheaper in parts cost,

In this case the saving is totally wiped out by the delivery and hire car costs.

Whilst these costs are covered by insurance, the vast majority of this £400 is unnecessary

Multiply that unnecessary cost by the number of Saga claims - that's all added to next years premiums.

“SAGA Car Insurance - Disgraceful treatment! Never again!”

Written on: 21/11/2014 by KimBurn (1 review written)

After completing the online form and taking my money they then proceeded to bombard me with requests to supply them with information that I'd already given them on their online form. When I informed them that I did not wish to waste my time by repeating this request and to please take the information from the already completed form, I appeared to become involved in an email battle of wits with and the 'customer services' person who proceeded to threaten me with policy cancellation at 17:00hrs… Read Full Review

“Inexcusably evasive”

Written on: 20/11/2014 by MarcelHatch1952 (1 review written)

Waiting to hear something from Saga but nothing heard so contact them by phone and they suggest they sent a reply dated at 2 weeks after my letter so point out I havent received this and asked for missing letter to be forwarded. A cheque arrived for a small sum without any breakdown of what for and I suspect the missing letter gives a breakdown and the idea may be that if I stupidly cash the cheque I will have been deemed to have accepted the small amount as full and final settlement. I have… Read Full Review

“saga needs to pay up inferior repairs rubbish rubish...”

Written on: 12/11/2014 by owSandoval350 (1 review written)

got my car damaged by a saga insured driver, repair quote was over 3000 saga refused to pay over a 3rd of my quote, but were happy to replace my van, with a hire van while mine was haveing a bad repair. the cost of the hire van way out waighed the bodge price of the rubbish repair, hire van was 6 weeks hire price thousands, repair 1200 quid no wonder you do cheap insurance you dont pay out...... be warned be carfull of saga insured drivers… Read Full Review

“Excessive insurance costs”

Written on: 08/11/2014

Just found out that my mother in law has been charged £1786 for her car insurance when comparable quotes are less than £500. She drives a 13 year old Volkswagen Golf with few redeeming features yet pays enough to lease a brand new car with the extra paid to Saga. Has anyone else been excessively charged by this company? I am horrified that a company that says it specialises in insurance for over 50s should take advantage of an age group (she is in her early 80s) which is least likely to shop… Read Full Review

“Very Professional and low quote”

Written on: 27/10/2014 by abuaisheh (1 review written)

I am very Happy with Saga service and quote, never dealt with a claim… Read Full Review

“ Car insurance:My advice - AVOID Saga like the plague! ”

Written on: 15/10/2014 by Cameus (4 reviews written)

Found Saga through comparethemarket.com. They agreed to insure me, took my money and then asked me to re- answer the questions: where do I keep my car, what do I use my car for. Why, I already answered these questions. Most worryingly of all - what is my odometer reading and how many miles do I expect to do this coming year. What am I a fortune teller? Why are they asking this? If I say on my application that I do on average 9000 miles and it turns out that my average is more then my insurance… Read Full Review

Cameus's Response to Cameus's Review

Written on: 15/10/2014

I have emailed Saga to see if they will give an explanation, as follows:

"Policy number 87729****.

To enable us to cancel your policy, we require the Customer Motor Policy
Cancellation Declaration form contained within your emailed documents to be completed, signed and returned to us."

I have received no documents and no documents are available online so it is impossible to do as you request.

In my review at review center I have written:

"Most worryingly of all - what is my odometer reading and how many miles do I expect to do this coming year. What am I a fortune teller? Why are they asking this? If I say on my application that I do on average 9000 miles and it turns out that my average is more, then my insurance is invalidated. Fair enough. What they seem to be doing is putting me on a clock, if I do more than I guesstimate, hard luck?"

I would like to know why you are requesting this information, as the clear intimation is that you would invalidate my policy if I exceded whatever figure I came up with. For your information, although I really don't see why I should tell you this, my exact average for the period 27/05/2011 to 19/06/2014 is 7933 miles per year. Source: My mot certificate odometer readings.
I would also like to know why you are asking me to re-answer the other questions.
I would also like to know why you immediately took my money when you were clearly not happy with the information I had supplied.
Please give me an explanation of these points.
Please cancel the contract between us, for you to supply car insurance, and return my money as fast as you took it.

+++++++++++++++++++

If I do get an explanation, to be fair to them, I will add their comments here to give you the full picture from both sides.

Cameus's reply to Cameus's Comment

Written on: 27/10/2014

27th of October 2014. 10 days after cancelling - still no refund. Still no explanation of their behavior. Apparently they're looking into it. Big deal!
I will never have anything to do with Saga anything ever again. Very effective customer service and customer relations - if you don't want any customers!

“Advertising. True or false?”

Written on: 09/10/2014 by Amariy66 (1 review written)

The latest of many letters received from SAGA invited me to get a quote for car insurance with the heading "The majority of our customers paid £181 or less for our 5 star rated Comprehensive Insurance cover." I rang for a quote with many years no claims bonus and was quoted over £580 which is three times the amount quoted for "the majority". The person who gave me the quote was unable to give me any satisfactory reason for the huge increase in the quote apparently quoted to the majority. Can… Read Full Review

Sunshinestate2014's Comment

Written on: 28/11/2014

Every company sends out these marketing letters. Have you been paying £181 for your insurance lately? Probably not. Read the letter properly before you phone up. It probably doesn't say that you will paid that amount but that you could. As you should know, insurance prices are done through looking at your mileage, ncb, past claims, postcode etc

“go else where”

Written on: 25/09/2014 by sandancroy (1 review written)

bought motorcycle insurance july and just bought a newer bike this weekend.asked for change of vehicle.old premium £64 to change bikes £69.to cancel policy and buy a new one £66. told i could not buy a new one with old one still running although change of vehicles to happen mid day .saga always busy and would tell you they will phone back in 24hours time.cancelled policy and no refund of premium .totally rubbish service and products, never again… Read Full Review

“Brilliant Service, Very Happy”

Written on: 25/09/2014 by 17McGee (1 review written)

I'm going to redress the balance a little as it seems only the moaners tend to post reviews. Having read some of the awful reviews on here following an accident four weeks ago, I was dreading the prospect of what was to come. However, my experience with Saga has been more than satisfactory. And today we have agreed a settlement for a new vehicle, mine having been written off. Saga have been nothing short of attentive, and thorough, and I cannot praise them enough for the way in which they… Read Full Review

“car insurance renew quote”

Written on: 24/09/2014 by Porter231 (1 review written)

just received my saga insurance renewal quote. I got quite a shock as it went from just over £200 last year to £358; this includes full no claim discount and no claim. I rang Saga to see if this was some sort of a joke but no, this is the price! I explain that my pension has barely gone up this year and certainly not 70% but no, there was very little understanding. We are very good customers and insure 2 cars with them. Are they taking advantage???… Read Full Review

Colpos's Comment

Written on: 27/11/2014

Yes they are taking advantage you are better using a small independent broker on the high street where you get true personel service and in my case a much better price than saga!!!

Ifindithardtobelieve's Comment

Written on: 07/01/2015

We too found that on renewal the premiums quoted were dramatically higher than the previous year. I'd advise everybody to seek competitive quotes before renewing with this company - we saved a substantial sum by moving. Bear in mind, that Saga have just gone public so they need to keep their shareholders happy.

“Saga Car Insurance ... and it will be a Saga!”

Written on: 19/09/2014 by Darry_Lindsey (1 review written)

A simple request. Please transfer my existing car insurance to another vehicle, as my current vehicle has been sold. Could Saga do this? In a word NO! Totally clueless, would not honour the online quote despite it showing up in MY SAGA and asking me to BUY. Instead they wanted another £80 for the remaining 6 month term! Frustrated I cancelled my Policy and D/Debit. Saga wrote to me and requested Insurance Certificate in order to verify cancellation. Suddenly everything that can be done over… Read Full Review

Sick To Death's Response to Darry_Lindsey's Review

Written on: 23/09/2014

Exactly the same thing is happening to me. I'm changing my car tomorrow and they want another £175!!!!!! - making the premium £350, more than double other insurance quotes. OK I'll cancel - there's a £50 cancellation fee AND I'm expected to post documents back. I asked why I couldn't email and was told I could, but I'd have to wait for them to email a cancellation doc to me first and that could take 3 days!!!!!! This is sharp practice and they should be stopped. I'm thoroughly disgusted and will NEVER use Sage again.

“Poor customer service ”

Written on: 18/09/2014 by suLucas147 (1 review written)

Waited for renewal, but late arriving. When it did arrive, the increase was huge, despite there being no claims, or changes in vehicle or cover. Rang to discuss this, was answered, but told " my name is ------, and although I have answered your call, I have no time to speak to you. One of the team will phone you back. It may take 24 hours!!" I am still waiting. She had no idea what I wanted to speak about. Very poor indeed. I am still waiting for my call back. Needless to say, I have gone… Read Full Review

“Unacceptable service”

Written on: 09/09/2014

Totally useless. "I can't answer that question because our underwriter never gives us reasons for any of their decisions." Saga is meant to be a reputable and reliable provider of services for older people. If they're to retain ANY reputation in the insurance business, they should get a new underwriter! And also some more informed and helpful staff on their phone lines… Read Full Review

“Systems unfit for purpose, they don't care”

Written on: 19/08/2014 by justatadcrossingeneral (1 review written)

Another loyal customer lost, and they are still causing problems for me with my new, excellent, Motor Insurer. You would think it simple for a Motor Insurer to swap a policy from one car to another. Not at Saga. My car, insured back in April irreparably broke down, I found a replacement with local dealer. I phoned Saga to swap insurance. First I was told it was impossible to swap insurance until I knew the exact date that I would collect the new car-told to phone back on day I was to collect. I… Read Full Review