Unicom Phone Company Reviews

• Reception

• Reliability

• Extra Features

Unicom Phone Company - Ask a question now

“I am required to click on one star to write a review...”

Written on: 17/07/2014 by Thorpe415 (1 review written)

I am required to click on one star to write a review but in truth that is far too many. Do not believe a word this company says over the telephone. Get everything in writing. My advice is not to get involved at all. I had two phone lines and a mobile contract with this company and the amount of grief, pressure, bully boy tactics, emails, phone calls etc I have had from them is unbelievable. I had been a customer since 2008 without incident until I tried to change provider. My story is… Read Full Review

“Awful don't touch with a bargepole”

Written on: 19/02/2014

Do not go near this company. I was miss sold. They told me that there was free installation. I switched from Virgin (who I'd never had a fault with in over 15 years. When they came to do the connection, the BT Openreach contractor left me with a phone line which wasn't working and told me it would come on overnight. I then called Unicom the next day to tell them my line wasn't working still, they kept telling me it would come on overnight. They then rebooked and Engineer to comeback and get the… Read Full Review

Soupaman's Comment

Written on: 10/03/2014

BT Openreach??? Unfortunately you can't get a phone connected without using BT Openreach which is absolutely scandalous - BT hold every business to ransome with telecomunications. I use Virgin and Talk/Talk for my business lines but unfortunately BT dictate the level of service when it comes to fixing a problem.

“AVOID! AVOID! AVOID!”

Written on: 18/02/2014 by Jellyfish29 (1 review written)

If I could give this company no stars for 'overall rating', I would. I have been trying to change my account from paper billing (because you get charged for this service) to on-line billing (no charge for this service) since early November 2013. They claim to have emailed to me an 'activation email' and that I have not replied to it. I HAVE NEVER RECEIVED SUCH AN EMAIL and yet, every month since November 2013 I have persevered with speaking to the rude, arrogant customer services… Read Full Review

Joeydee's Response to Jellyfish29's Review

Written on: 10/04/2014

just cancel with them ..they are not working within the terms of contract ..end of

Jellyfish29's reply to Joeydee's Comment

Written on: 11/04/2014

Obviously you have never dealt with Unicom, Joeydee's! It's not that simple. Our contract ends soon and we will be rid of them.

Ratmanofscotland's reply to Joeydee's Comment

Written on: 27/05/2014

My pest control business has only been with Unicom for a few months but trouble has already started with overcharging above the agreed tariff. Contact with them has been annoying as they still promise us credit notes that somehow does not happen and taking the overcharged (wrong) invoices by DD.

I would not be afraid at all terminating the contract with them because this business is unable to issue us with correct invoices therefore we can't use them - end of story. But I am worried that there could be a problem with transferring our existing telephone numbers to a different provider for Unicom's revenge. Has anyone have experience with this?

Footmasters's Response to Jellyfish29's Review

Written on: 06/06/2014

Is it true they are now under investigation?

Rmj's reply to Footmasters's Comment

Written on: 17/06/2014

Yes - they are under an Ofcom investigation (for the third time) and they were also featured on Radio 4 in the 'You & Yours' consumer programme on the 14th April and the 4th June.

“Sharp practice and threatening attitude. ”

Written on: 27/01/2014 by ChrisMcI (5 reviews written)

The Unicom selling representative was advised at the outset, there was a limited opportunity for trading with my organisation due to an anticipated closure during the following 12 months. He stated that if the organisation ceased trading, then any contract would be terminated without penalty. He pointed out that this eventuality was included in the agreement documentation. A (three year) telephone agreement was taken up on this basis. In the event, my business did not close until towards the… Read Full Review

Andyrady's Response to ChrisMcI's Review

Written on: 05/02/2014

Just had a sales manager ring me from Unicom asking why we cancelled our appointment. He was rude arrogant and struggled to take no for an answer.
Pushy sales people who shrug off there bad reputation.
He said to me that i was with bt and would be in 20 years as if i need to change on his say so.
Advise do not deal with this company

Robinson12's reply to Andyrady's Comment

Written on: 06/02/2014

Had lots of dealings with this Company, would never ever recommend them to anyone

Chrismci's reply to Andyrady's Comment

Written on: 08/02/2014

It sounds familiar!

Taffyfrombrum's Response to ChrisMcI's Review

Written on: 14/02/2014

Their salesman misled me no bill over £70 terrible people to deal with

Robinson12's Response to ChrisMcI's Review

Written on: 06/02/2014

There are lots of people who have had I had the same treatment, I am one of them, would never ever recommend this company

“Cancelled contract in 14 day cooling off period”

Written on: 06/01/2014

What a saga! The rep came as appointed but I had to leave the office on an emergency so I asked the secretary to speak to the rep to get prices packages and deals etc so I could see what was on offer. I return to the office to find she has been talked into signing a 3 yr contract that she didn't even realise was a contract. She is not an authorised signatory of the business. The contract form was completed by the rep and he put her position down as Partner. When I found this out we phoned… Read Full Review

Rmj's Comment

Written on: 09/01/2014

Your right to cancel as per Ofcom General Conditions was from the point of sale up until completion of transfer.

Many people have toughed it out and have challenged Unicom to take them to Court but we have no evidence whatsoever that Unicom have ever listed an application for a CCJ for unpaid termination fees against anyone - ever. They make lots of threats by phone, text and letters, they refer people to 'Universal Debt Collection which is simply an in house department of Unicom themselves and NOT an external debt collection agency, they send out 'fake' Court Summons and even go as far as sending a letter that states 'Should you file a defence at Court, we will apply to have it struck out'.

Check out unicom-complaints for lots more information

“Poor Customer Service, threatening, defensive, awful”

Written on: 03/12/2013

Having had a contract with Unicom that for one month they wanted to charge me £100 to get out of, found out they had cut me off a month before anyway in error. They kept charging me until I cancelled the DD. Now weekly I get emails, letters, texts all threatening Court Action unless I pay them! Yet they have not provided me with a service since April and they owe me money. No matter what they say they offer avoid at all costs, they are unable to manage their own systems and the staff are… Read Full Review

Allanjcresswell's Comment

Written on: 09/12/2013

I totally agree with the above comments. I had a contract that I was stuck with even though I stopped using the telephone line 2 years ago. When the contract was up for automatic 3 year renewal in October, I wrote to them (as required in terms and conditions) in August to inform them I would NOT be renewing the contract. I also spoke with 2 of there sales people, who assured me the contract would not be renewed. Since the beginning of November I receive at least 2 phone calls, and texts a day, demanding payment for a service I cancelled. Customer service is hopeless. I would definitely not recommend this company.

Happystudies's Comment

Written on: 10/12/2013

Can you believe, I have just had another call from them asking for money. I have again spoken to escalations team, fourth different person in as many weeks and as usual they promised to call me yesterday or today with a resolution to the problem - still no call. They all agree one thing that they owe me money but they don't seem to be able to afford just yet to pay the under £100 amount back. Things must be bad.

Mocinu's Comment

Written on: 02/02/2014

Look up unicomcomlaints.co.uk and email them she haschelped me a lot do not give in to them theu have never taken anyone to court and their Universal debt services are part of Unicom and are nit even registered debt collectors do not pay them any money .

Robinson12's Comment

Written on: 06/02/2014

Don't give in to them, just ignore their threats

Happystudies's Comment

Written on: 07/02/2014

Hi all, yesterday, after emailing them last week copying in the ombudsman, they finally paid me the outstanding money they owed me. It seems that until you actually threaten them with action they will do nothing. Needless to say, they did not reimburse me for all the hours spent trying to get them to pay me what they owed me. It is disgraceful that they can get away with such an appalling attitude to business whilst deliberately obstructing you at every turn rather than admit fault and sort the many issues they have. Free at last!

“DO YOUR HOMEWORK BEFORE SIGNING WITH UNICOM. I wish i...”

Written on: 19/11/2013 by Lighthouseat25 (1 review written)

Unicom, what a company. Look good from the outside don't they and the reps have a good deal to offer, sounds good. They did to me. But i found out the hard way. Their rep totally lied and misled me to clench his deal. They wouldn't let me change my mind and cancel my contract within the cooling of period(4 days before the switch took place). My bills went up 30% (add-ons that the REP failed to tell me). Found out i was on a 3 year contract which was never explained at the point of… Read Full Review

Clairenicol's Response to Lighthouseat25's Review

Written on: 27/11/2013

Had a fairly similar experience and harassment is about the only thing they are good at. Avoid at all costs.

Rev33's reply to Clairenicol's Comment

Written on: 30/01/2014

I completely agree I was called to sign up to direct debit which wouldn't suit my business needs because I didn't use this system we were threatened with and paid higher cost services constant harassment.condescending customer service representitives who basically said we were unreliable . I investigated on server all occasions how to leave them but faced such huge penalties how they get away with this is just beyond me. Watch dog must be the only way to investigate how people are trained here and how they get away with enforcing such terrible penalties on customers. Also when they can,t meet your needs as a business they can still get out of it. Any appreciated advice if they have managed to get out before the end of term is much welcomed !

Rmj's reply to Rev33's Comment

Written on: 31/01/2014

I am not allowed to leave a link but a web site had been created with lots of information and help. They can also put you in touch with others in the same boat. If you Goole unicom-complaints exactly as I have typed it, with a hyphen in the middle it is usually on the first page.

Robinson12's reply to Rmj's Comment

Written on: 06/02/2014

Very good site helps you feel that you are not alone

Robinson12's reply to Rev33's Comment

Written on: 06/02/2014

I have spoken to many Unicom customers being treated like ourselves and no one has yet got out of their contract without paying. I just ignore them now, when they phone me

Robinson12's reply to Clairenicol's Comment

Written on: 06/02/2014

I agree they are well trained in harassment of their customers

“Saved loads with Unicom ”

Written on: 06/11/2013 by Kane6789 (1 review written)

Just had my first Unicom bills father switching from bt and its less than half what I used to pay really Impressed plus the change was seamless very impressed… Read Full Review

Lighthouseat25's Response to Kane6789's Review

Written on: 19/11/2013

You must be very lucky. After searching around the internet about Unicom you are the first person out of many i have come across that seems to be happy. Well done.

Soupaman's reply to Lighthouseat25's Comment

Written on: 10/03/2014

He would have been happy with anyone other than BT!!!!

Soupaman's Response to Kane6789's Review

Written on: 10/03/2014

If you switched from BT to ANY telecoms provider I am sure you would be happy!!

Philipmoseley's Response to Kane6789's Review

Written on: 23/12/2013

wait until you have a line fault (especially at weekend) OR dare too use more broadband than you should (their unlimited allowance is a lie)

Soupaman's reply to Philipmoseley's Comment

Written on: 10/03/2014

The line fault will be the responsibility of BT - so don't hold your breath if you have to wait for them - everyone is held to ransome by BT.

Clairenicol's Response to Kane6789's Review

Try leaving them!

“Customer service is a joke”

Written on: 01/11/2013

We used Unicom at our previous address and cancelled and paid a very large termination fee as we were moving. We arranged to have broadband and talk with another company. Unicom in error arranged for our new line to be activated and when the work was done and it was found that the broadband was not working would not arrange for it to be put right - saying that by the time the engineer could come out the line would be under the new supplier and it would be their responsibility. One person told… Read Full Review

“Beware the savings story”

Written on: 25/10/2013 by Uniconned (1 review written)

Unicom will always tell you that you will save money. Its up to you to check if thats the case. I dont know if that would be the case if you are a big company with large usage, but I converted my domestic line to a business line with them as they said I would save money and it turned out exactly the opposite. Some things the salesman did not tell me or lied about- 1. splitting landline and broadband usage between two companies is daft - you get two lots of standing charges.Even they know that… Read Full Review

“Reps are liars Keep a way from unicom”

Written on: 22/10/2013 by Abdulhameed (1 review written)

I've had to give a star because thats a required field we are a small buisness with 2 phone lines we were with bt with a call package which includes mobiles the rep told me they would do a like for like which is written on the contract when we switched we had a nasty shock which was that mobile calls are not included in the call package it is essential for our buisness that we have a mobile call packeage the rep knew this and lied to me about the like for like basis which dosen't mean anything… Read Full Review

Uniconned2014's Response to Abdulhameed's Review

Written on: 19/07/2014

As the small print says, Unicom are not responsible for what their Sales Representative tells you. Found that out to my cost!!!

“liar liar unicom”

Written on: 21/10/2013 by sherrilc2007 (1 review written)

I should be shot I work for 3 different companies and introduced them to Unicom back in 2011 bad bad move we even changed our home lines to them. they constantly bug you at work and at home its enough to drive you to suicide more so for me they rang me regarding every account with offers of mobiles broadband you name it. gradually we have all left them thank goodness we all saw the light last one is still in dispute 2011 we took out broad band another very bad move the damned piece of… Read Full Review

Markmonty's Response to sherrilc2007's Review

Written on: 22/10/2013

I could not agree more I have never dealt with such a company in my life absoloutley shocking , stay well clear of Unicom they are the most annoying company I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with, I have cancel with them today after ten days of nuisance calls from them I decided to cut and run best move ever.

Sherrilc2007's reply to Markmonty's Comment

Written on: 24/10/2013

ITS GETTING WORSE
the boss and his poor wife are being harassed at home apparently the boss ordered a mobile last august from them and they will not accept that he has not as we all have mobiles on orange they have been taking payment via dd and he has cancelled the dd and they keep on going
I have had to speak to them today and have you tried to tell them they only need to look at the account to see it has not been used who would have a mobile and not use it.
I have asked them to send out the signed document from delivery and
you know how they always say that you are being recorded I have ask for a copy of the recording that the boss made when apparently he received the mobile he had to ring them to activate it if we want to get out of the contract its another 200. are they barking.
watch this space to see if it arrives

Robseatter's Response to sherrilc2007's Review

Written on: 24/02/2014

you are so right worst company ever came near sales men are liars don't go near or u will regret it I promise take my advice, contact me if u want to know more

Bncoll's Response to sherrilc2007's Review

Written on: 21/01/2014

I am being harried / bullied to pay termination fee+ charges, following 3 months notice prior to business closure, 2 solicitor letters confirming that I was now retired & that the business had closed down. They ignore answering correspondence & have stated they will not write in reply but persist in texting demands,making nuisance phone calls along with written demands for payment.
Anyone out there in a similar situation & who has refused to give in to their demands & with what outcome.

Rmj's reply to Bncoll's Comment

Written on: 25/01/2014

Hi Bncoll
You would be amazed at the number of people who are in similar situations and if you contact me I can put you in touch with some of them

Mocinu's reply to Bncoll's Comment

Written on: 02/02/2014

Yes I closed my business in Feb 2013 and up til Oct
receved threatening calls and fake court lettes they have never taken anyone to court and there is no court stamp on the CCJ . The debt collection company 7s part of Unicom and they do not have a registration no ( ask them for it next time ) and its harrasment do not pay these peple

“WOW !!!! GREAT SAVINGS ”

Written on: 10/10/2013

I have just received my first bill from Unicom and I have to say that I am more than please with the savings which I estimate are at least 30% Thanks Unicom Im not frightened of using my phone anymore… Read Full Review

Unicomfighter's Comment

Written on: 06/02/2014

must be a unicon worker doing a bit of overtime work

M.coleman's Comment

Written on: 25/03/2014

I have dealt with Unicom in all 3 of my business ventures and never had a problem they even helped me get out of a previous contract without cost. came across this on here and am shocked as I have always had no issues and liked the fact I can speak to comeone in the uk straight away,
everyone has an opinion

“Excellent service”

Written on: 16/09/2013

Having been with unicom for a year i have found them far cheaper and a much better customer service than bt who was overcharging me for a featurline i didnt need!!! I am now saving money and am very pleased with the highlevel of service and ease of unicom! When i switched it was very easy aswell. I was very worried about making a decision that quick over the phone but with the savings i could'nt complain. I was then expecting something to go wrong haha but all i can say is that i am recieving… Read Full Review

“1st Class Service”

Written on: 04/07/2013

Over the many years I have been with Unicom I have always had 1st class service for phone and broadband. On the few occasions that I have had to call it is so good to be connected directly to someone who can help rather than to an automated system. The advantage of retaining my phone number and business email address saved a lot of bother. I see no reason to change my supplier for these servcies… Read Full Review

Robinson12's Comment

Written on: 21/07/2013

You must be the only one that is happy with Unicom service, if you read the remainder of the reviews you are lucky.

Unicomfighter's Comment

Written on: 06/02/2014

for everything that has gone right in your life, have you left a review for it? like you buy a newspaper its ok so do you write a review about? you make a cup of tea, do you then write a review on how good the milk was ,how good the tea leaves were, the cup did wot it was supposed to do so you write a review? NO WE DONT SO WHAT MADE YOU THINK YOU HAD TO WRITE A GOOD REVIEW ABOUT UNICON?

“Cold callers”

Written on: 25/06/2013

This company which re-sells telecoms services, does not bother to check the phone numbers it calls against the telephone preference service. I strongly urge you to report them to OFCOM, as we do every time they call us. Usually they just hang up on you when you ask them why they are calling a TPS-registered number, but if you lead them on a bit then you can usually trick them into revealing their name before you explain why you are trying to find that out. To their credit, the sales people… Read Full Review

“DO NOT SIGN UP WITH UNICOM........RIP OFF MERCHANTS”

Written on: 21/06/2013

We were approached by the friendly rep who basically assured us the we would save money over BT. This is NOT the case, we didn't make 1 phone call and ended up with a bill of over £600 !!!! We were then bullied into paying this under threat of bailiffs /court appearances etc This is our first company venture and we had been trading less than 3 months when UNICOM ripped us off. This company should be reported to the authorities for the way that they trade, i have wasted many days trying to… Read Full Review

Willpower53's Comment

Written on: 30/07/2013

I am stuck with them for another 4 months and cannot wait to get away from them. I got a month behind with my payment and have had nothing but constant harrassment, the people who work in the credit control department must have the skin of a rhino, they do not listen to anything you say.
Surprised any one would want to sign up to them ! Keep away

Cantresistcakes's Comment

Written on: 06/11/2013

We are in a right mess with them at the moment and are getting nowhere with them. We have moved our services away from UnIcom now as we had not received the service that they promised . Now they want nearly £1000!!! The phone line went live for 2 days!!!!
This has had us in tears and we are now threatened with court action and we just do not have the money to throw at them. They will not take any responsibility and the complaints procedure that they carried out went all in their favour. Ofcom is our next port of call to see if they can help.

Exbookie's Comment

Written on: 27/11/2013

do not pay them anything, I was in a similar situation being bullied and threatened. I wanted them to take me to court, which of course has not happened because they could not afford to lose. the threats are empty they will try ever trick even using copies of a summons. stand firm. they gave up in the end. Regards

Rmj's Comment

Written on: 28/11/2013

Have you received the letter from them yet that states 'Should you file a defence with the Court, we will apply to have it struck out'. They send it after they send the 'fake' Court Summons.
Unbelievable what they are allowed to get away with!!!!

“been with them 9 years and they tell me I'm in contract?”

Written on: 13/06/2013 by telefix (1 review written)

Initially I had a problem, The salesman who called in 2004 asked me what my fax number was as he left t told him I use my neighbours fax line and gave him the number he wrote it down. After a couple of months my neighbour mentioned to me he had not had a phone bill for a while......yes they ported out my neighbours number and then tried to make me pay for it even though it was not on my copy of the agreement. A debt collector kept ringing 6 or 7 times a day for months till eventually he rang… Read Full Review

“Under no circumstances choose Unicom”

Written on: 05/06/2013 by Kersh44 (1 review written)

I would strongly advise that EVERYBODY stay away from Unicom. They cold called one evening saying they could get me out of my contract with BT and that I would save money with them (Unicom). What they didn't mention was the AWFUL customer service and astronomical charges to get out of the contract (which was 3 years) and they chose to keep this in the small print of the contract! They are very demanding and constantly cold calling for more business despite me asking to come off the 'cold… Read Full Review

“How Unicom get away with changing contracts”

Written on: 01/06/2013 by JohnBekra (1 review written)

I have to thank the Ombudsman for this explanation:- If Unicom changed a contract without giving the customer the right to cancel then Ofcom would come down on them like a ton of bricks. What Unicom are actually doing is having "administrative issues" where the contract is changed 'administratively' to suit the interests of Unicom but not actually changed. If you don't like this you find Ofcom don't deal with individual cases so you have to go the Ombudsman and the Ombudsman is just another of… Read Full Review