Unicom Phone Company Reviews

• Reception

• Reliability

• Extra Features

Unicom Phone Company - Ask a question now

“Unicom is owned by a Hedge fund ”

Written on: 23/01/2015 by CloeMcNally (1 review written)

Wish I had never heard of this company - they promise reduced fees and charged me for a Business line - guess what BT say my lines are residential and don't get the fast repair service. vitruvianpartners made £18 million 2012 at Unicom on a turnover of £50 million. … Read Full Review

“I was bombarded with pushy sales calls from day 1, I...”

Written on: 19/01/2015 by 428Stack (1 review written)

I was bombarded with pushy sales calls from day 1, I was forced into a 3 year contract over the telephone when I had only asked for information, when I called them to say I hadn't wanted a contract they simply talked over me, the staff were rude and obnoxious and now they want over £800 for me to terminate. DO NOT use this company the bills are 3 times higher than they were with B.T. They promise a lot and deliver the opposite how OFCOM haven't closed them down I have no idea. Disgrace to… Read Full Review

“DO NOT SIGN UP”

Written on: 15/01/2015 by AGEA (1 review written)

I was promised a 10% saving on my bill . What I got was a 150% rise and a £500 cancellation bill from old supplier… Read Full Review

Rmj's Response to AGEA's Review

Written on: 15/01/2015

The message from Ofcom is :-
Ofcom suggests that all consumers/businesses that have experienced problems with their communications provider call our contact centre and make a formal record of their complaint. Our contact centre advisors can also provide specific advice on the appropriate next steps. We are open Monday to Friday from 9.00am to 5.00pm.

“WORST EVER”

Written on: 29/12/2014 by 337Barnes (1 review written)

The WORST Telecoms company I ever dealt with. Biggest mistake ever!!! From high termination fees to rude customer service agents. They have, shouted and were unprofessional in every aspect. No out of hours service. Need to be shut down. Will definitely take them to court in a few days time. There is not even one good thing I can say about them. I will fight this to the end!!… Read Full Review

“I had a shop the land lord who should have given me...”

Written on: 18/12/2014 by sweetie22 (1 review written)

I had a shop the land lord who should have given me 3months notice did not 5 days they give me to get out I had a five year contract which end and I thought I was getting a new one anyway told UNICOM that I had 5 days toget out could they close down account and send me my bill yes they said But what I got from them was a 1000 pound bill so I phoned them up and said I have no shop I am now on a penson 578 a month will lots of e-mails have they ever taken anyone to court they ask me to get a… Read Full Review

Chrismarsh's Response to sweetie22's Review

Written on: 19/12/2014

Don't panic there is lots of help out there! Search Google for Unicom-Complaints and look for the uk address and you will find a very useful usergroup that can help contact them and they will help with ideas on where to go next.

How long is remaining on your Contract?

I have not heard to date of Unicom taking anyone to Court, however they do send out incomplete Court Summons with the intention of bullying you into complying with their demands.

“Absolutely terrible”

Written on: 16/12/2014

Do not deal with Unicom under any circumstances. The service is appalling in every respect. They do not respond to customer complaints and will attempt to charge you when you try to leave them as you inevitably will… Read Full Review

“pushy company promising to save you money”

Written on: 16/12/2014 by IrelandDaugherty60 (1 review written)

dreadful company promising to save you money . Do not touch this company , promised no disruption to phone line but was without one for 12 hours on the switch over, didint offer me a one year contract pushed me straight into a 3 year. DO NOT ENGAGE WITH THIS COMPAY SEE ALL COMPLAINTS… Read Full Review

Chrismarsh's Comment

Written on: 19/12/2014

The length of contract is a real bone of contention with me and even when questioned they state that they only do 3 year contracts! I thought that under the guidelines laid down by Ofcom that they had to be able to offer a 1 year alternative to consumers and small businesses. Unicom don't believe this applies to them. They will also tell you verbally that if you cease to trade during the contract period that there are "No Termination Fees" however they then mumble "We will just continue to INVOICE"; really how can that be a Fair Contract term?

“Worst telecom company ever - BULLIES”

Written on: 15/12/2014 by Silva3 (1 review written)

NEVER use this company for your telecom needs. They have the most appalling staff, use tactics as soon as you attempt to leave them. They try to issue termination penalties and never stop phoning you. Despite my contract now expired they are still trying to stop me from leaving by saying that several months ago they had a verbal agreement recorded to say that I would continue with them. I have never said anything of the sort as I have been trying to get rid of them for the last 3 years when my… Read Full Review

“never go with this company!!! unprofessional don't trust!”

Written on: 04/11/2014 by Karissaj375 (1 review written)

Keep well away from unicom! They are unprofessional, only there to take as much money from you as they possibly can by trying to make you believe you owe them, if you owed them money why do they change the balance everytime you phoned them? Exactly! I suezed trade with my business and they wanted proof, they also said it was going to cost me £700 to leave but then said they would let me off if I just paid £300,so if there company was ligit then why do they make up there own mind on how much… Read Full Review

Rmj's Comment

Written on: 05/12/2014

John Healey MP raised an Adjournment Debate in Parliament about Unicom Telecom on Wed 26th Nov 2014 naming them as a ‘predatory company that was ripping off an elderly vulnerable constituent for £3,500 in termination fees’. Mr Healey also criticised the Ombudsman Services for failing to protect his constituent. In less than 48 hours, Unicom had released the customer from the contract and waived all the termination fees. Links can be found by typing ‘Unicom John Healey MP’ in any search engine.

I have heard of quite a few people who have had their problems with Unicom resolved after they contacted their MPs and if all else has failed, this could be a way forward

“Harrased for 3 years”

Written on: 29/10/2014 by xuMacKay64 (1 review written)

I have been harassed for 3 years to take up their service. Despite saying no to their sales guys over the phone and in person and speaking to their compliance officer I am still receiving calls. … Read Full Review

“Merciless Bullies”

Written on: 26/10/2014 by geckogirl27 (4 reviews written)

My experience with this awful company was one of the most stressful things I have ever been through. I was with another company, that Unicom bought out, making me a Unicom customer overnight, without my consent, or choice. I was told in a simple "welcome" letter that I now had to adhere to THEIR terms and conditions, not those of the company I signed up with. I was never issued these terms and my prices went up over 50% with NO warning !! I gave 30 days to leave, then was given a hefty £400… Read Full Review

“Pushy, nasty - AVOID!!”

Written on: 22/10/2014 by Rowane282 (1 review written)

After being badgered by this company for months, I decided to relent and talk to them about their offer. They try to talk over you, try to make you second guess yourself and are pushy to the point of harassment. When I told the sales representative that I was tired of him talking over me and pressuring me, and I'd rather have a number to call them for when I'd done all my research he told me "not to bother as he didn't want to be a nuisance" in such a cocky tone - well little does he know I'm… Read Full Review

“Unfair selling practices abound!”

Written on: 14/10/2014 by Kamren1965 (1 review written)

I should have known better than to go with this company again! They messed up my broadband for months after transferring to them from B.T. True they are cheaper as far as billing is concerned but the business lost during the issues during their simple and seamless transfer cost us thousands in lost sales. One of their sales women recently contacted me regarding reducing my mobile phone costs and offered an attractive sim card only deal using my own mobile phone. She advised me that this would… Read Full Review

“Tell you anything but the truth ”

Written on: 01/10/2014 by Catwalkkidz (1 review written)

This company needs closing. They fail to deliver what they promise. Customer service is appalling and I advise anyone who receives a call/visit from this co pant to stay well clear… Read Full Review

“3 years of harassment from Unicom (Sunstone)”

Written on: 10/09/2014 by Wagnerrk493 (1 review written)

One star flatters this awful company. They are unbelievably bad. In fact nasty. I’ve been harassed by Sunstone, and in the new name, Unicom, for 3 years. In the early days, they waged an unrelenting campaign of harassment by phone calls and emails. I received hundreds of calls from them, up to 3 of four times a day and they liked to pick inconvenient times like 6 PM on Friday to try and disturb your weekend. There were threatening letters, fake court papers - you name it, they sent it… Read Full Review

“I am required to click on one star to write a review...”

Written on: 17/07/2014 by Thorpe415 (1 review written)

I am required to click on one star to write a review but in truth that is far too many. Do not believe a word this company says over the telephone. Get everything in writing. My advice is not to get involved at all. I had two phone lines and a mobile contract with this company and the amount of grief, pressure, bully boy tactics, emails, phone calls etc I have had from them is unbelievable. I had been a customer since 2008 without incident until I tried to change provider. My story is… Read Full Review

Johnbekra's Comment

Written on: 22/08/2014

The only safe contract with Unicom is no contract. Whatever you think they have agreed to do is meaningless. To quote Ombudsman:-
"In the context that this word [detrimental] is used by Ofcom the regulator is referring to whether the change in an existing contract is detrimental to the customer. This would apply where the customer was part way through an existing contract. I have clarified above that I consider this [detrimental modification] to relate to a new contract."
In other words - Unicom can (and do) make up contracts with impunity.

Dpsmith060's Comment

Written on: 26/08/2014

And they do. Goggle Unicom complaints and you will see.

Yellowcabs's Comment

Written on: 17/09/2014

Unfortunatly I have a land line with them and they wanted me to verbally agree to a mobile fhone he was on the fhone to me for over half an hour I refused and he couldn't understand why I wouldn't verbally agree I asked for it in writing they couldn't do it we got to the point where we were arguing with each other , I am free of them in march 2015 my bills have risen from per second billing to 18 pence per minute billing nearly doubling my bills I have tried to leave 2 yrs ago but was threatend with £1200 fee as I didn't know it was a rolling contract and that's why I can't leave until march 15 the increase in tarriffs was implemented without notice but was hidden in my email invoice when I checked throught them all

Rmj's Comment

Written on: 23/09/2014

The information below is copied from the Ofcom web site and can be found by Googling Ofcom bans rollover contracts. It means that Unicom should have contacted you at the end of your term in in 2012 to offer you an alternative deal away from rollover contracts and if they automatically rolled over your contract without offering you an alternative deal they could be in breach of Ofcom General Condition 9. Unicom are currently under investigation by Ofcom and I would suggest you contact Ofcom for advice and to make a formal record of your complaint.

'Ofcom has set out a timetable for the removal of rollover contracts from the telecoms market which takes account of systems changes that will need to be made by communications providers.

The sale of new automatically renewable contracts to residential and small business customers will be prohibited from 31 December 2011.

Ofcom will also require communications providers to move all residential and small business customers currently on rollover contracts to alternative deals, and to completely remove rollover contracts from the market by 31 December 2012.'

Johnbekra's Comment

Written on: 26/09/2014

Search for Ofcom GC9.6 . Not only do you seem to be outside Ofcom limits for a rollover contract but also you should have been given the option to cancel without penalty if the price rise was to your material detriment.
Search for Ofcom Unicom Investigation for contact details. Search for Unicom-complaints for others who may have the same problem. Also Ombudsman Services for an organization financed by Unicom to give the illusion of independent dispute resolution though there may be some limit to what they can get away with while still claiming to be independent.

“Awful don't touch with a bargepole”

Written on: 19/02/2014

Do not go near this company. I was miss sold. They told me that there was free installation. I switched from Virgin (who I'd never had a fault with in over 15 years. When they came to do the connection, the BT Openreach contractor left me with a phone line which wasn't working and told me it would come on overnight. I then called Unicom the next day to tell them my line wasn't working still, they kept telling me it would come on overnight. They then rebooked and Engineer to comeback and get the… Read Full Review

Soupaman's Comment

Written on: 10/03/2014

BT Openreach??? Unfortunately you can't get a phone connected without using BT Openreach which is absolutely scandalous - BT hold every business to ransome with telecomunications. I use Virgin and Talk/Talk for my business lines but unfortunately BT dictate the level of service when it comes to fixing a problem.

“AVOID! AVOID! AVOID!”

Written on: 18/02/2014 by Jellyfish29 (1 review written)

If I could give this company no stars for 'overall rating', I would. I have been trying to change my account from paper billing (because you get charged for this service) to on-line billing (no charge for this service) since early November 2013. They claim to have emailed to me an 'activation email' and that I have not replied to it. I HAVE NEVER RECEIVED SUCH AN EMAIL and yet, every month since November 2013 I have persevered with speaking to the rude, arrogant customer services… Read Full Review

Joeydee's Response to Jellyfish29's Review

Written on: 10/04/2014

just cancel with them ..they are not working within the terms of contract ..end of

Jellyfish29's reply to Joeydee's Comment

Written on: 11/04/2014

Obviously you have never dealt with Unicom, Joeydee's! It's not that simple. Our contract ends soon and we will be rid of them.

Ratmanofscotland's reply to Joeydee's Comment

Written on: 27/05/2014

My pest control business has only been with Unicom for a few months but trouble has already started with overcharging above the agreed tariff. Contact with them has been annoying as they still promise us credit notes that somehow does not happen and taking the overcharged (wrong) invoices by DD.

I would not be afraid at all terminating the contract with them because this business is unable to issue us with correct invoices therefore we can't use them - end of story. But I am worried that there could be a problem with transferring our existing telephone numbers to a different provider for Unicom's revenge. Has anyone have experience with this?

Footmasters's Response to Jellyfish29's Review

Written on: 06/06/2014

Is it true they are now under investigation?

Rmj's reply to Footmasters's Comment

Written on: 17/06/2014

Yes - they are under an Ofcom investigation (for the third time) and they were also featured on Radio 4 in the 'You & Yours' consumer programme on the 14th April and the 4th June.

“Sharp practice and threatening attitude. ”

Written on: 27/01/2014 by ChrisMcI (6 reviews written)

The Unicom selling representative was advised at the outset, there was a limited opportunity for trading with my organisation due to an anticipated closure during the following 12 months. He stated that if the organisation ceased trading, then any contract would be terminated without penalty. He pointed out that this eventuality was included in the agreement documentation. A (three year) telephone agreement was taken up on this basis. In the event, my business did not close until towards the… Read Full Review

Andyrady's Response to ChrisMcI's Review

Written on: 05/02/2014

Just had a sales manager ring me from Unicom asking why we cancelled our appointment. He was rude arrogant and struggled to take no for an answer.
Pushy sales people who shrug off there bad reputation.
He said to me that i was with bt and would be in 20 years as if i need to change on his say so.
Advise do not deal with this company

Robinson12's reply to Andyrady's Comment

Written on: 06/02/2014

Had lots of dealings with this Company, would never ever recommend them to anyone

Chrismci's reply to Andyrady's Comment

Written on: 08/02/2014

It sounds familiar!

Taffyfrombrum's Response to ChrisMcI's Review

Written on: 14/02/2014

Their salesman misled me no bill over £70 terrible people to deal with

Robinson12's Response to ChrisMcI's Review

Written on: 06/02/2014

There are lots of people who have had I had the same treatment, I am one of them, would never ever recommend this company

“Cancelled contract in 14 day cooling off period”

Written on: 06/01/2014

What a saga! The rep came as appointed but I had to leave the office on an emergency so I asked the secretary to speak to the rep to get prices packages and deals etc so I could see what was on offer. I return to the office to find she has been talked into signing a 3 yr contract that she didn't even realise was a contract. She is not an authorised signatory of the business. The contract form was completed by the rep and he put her position down as Partner. When I found this out we phoned… Read Full Review

Beamerman's Comment

Written on: 26/08/2014

I am sorry for you and know exactly how you feel. These low life say they have the right to demand the cancelation fees but if the don't have a signature or recorded conversation in which you have agreed to signing a three year deal. Then you have the right to contest the matter. Put the point to Unicom in recorded writing. If you get no joy after 30 day's call ofcom and they will get you in contact with an ombudsman to investigate. Wish I didn't hear of this company as I bit int a rolling contract lasting five long years. Fight them, and keep calling them until they listen to you.