Unicom Phone Company Reviews

• Reception

• Reliability

• Extra Features

Unicom Phone Company - Ask a question now

“Trying to Rip Off My Elderly Father”

Written on: 12/07/2016 by d.woods (1 review written)

My father is very ill and frail, and called Unicom last year to give them notice that his business was closed, and that he needed to end the telephone line, but have a call-diver to his home phone for 3 months. He was assured by the telephone operative this would be done. 3 months later, he gets a bill for over £800. Looking at the bill, there is over £750 of early termination charges! Turns out they renewed is contract for 3 years, then tried to charge him early termination fees!… Read Full Review

Johnbekra's Response to d.woods's Review

Written on: 31/07/2016

I'm guessing it is rather too late for you to find out that the company was set up by a convicted person. The fine imposed by Ofcom bought Unicom a free pass for at least the next five years. In my experience 'The Ombudsman' is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Telecoms Industry. Good luck!

Tigers63's reply to Johnbekra's Comment

Written on: 07/10/2016

That explains everything then. Well said. The Ombudsman is failing badly in his duties to allow a joke shower like this to continue.

Tigers63's Response to d.woods's Review

Written on: 07/10/2016

Yes They are absolutely disgraceful . They should have been closed down a long time ago.. I have never ever come across such people in my life.
An insult to civilised commerce.

“These people are worse than your worst nightmare, AVOID.”

Written on: 13/06/2016 by bigcoolviking (2 reviews written)

Unicom signed us up on one of their infamous 3 year contracts for phone and broadband. We were assured by the smooth talking Rep that: ''Unicom provided everything that BT did only better and cheaper''. This was a blatant lie, they cannot provide openzone, i.e. The Wi-Fi access away from home BT provide with 6 million hotspots. We explained before any contract signing this was an essential service we needed regardless of cost. As soon as we realised there was no openzone facility we, ( within… Read Full Review

Tigers63's Response to bigcoolviking's Review

Written on: 07/10/2016

I agree completely. They are a disgraceful excuse of a company.. You have had the same problems as me.

“ABSOLUTELY APPALLING COMPANY”

Written on: 24/02/2016 by stClark259 (1 review written)

We started to experience internet connection problems on the 22nd January 2016. We are still experiencing these problems. We either have no internet connection at all, intermittent connection or very slow connection. We have lost count of the phone calls that we have made to the company. We are a small garage and the owner is a sole trader. We have gone through all their diagnostic checks, owner has bought new cables and a router - the problem still remains. Unicom have arranged (allegedly) for… Read Full Review

“I was firstly told that phone bills would be higher,...”

Written on: 05/11/2015 by beamerman (3 reviews written)

I was firstly told that phone bills would be higher, but after speaking to several staff, eventually one of them said I would be 10% better off than my current provider One Bill. I was given a note from my current provider that a £300 cancelation fee was to occur, so I mentioned this to Unicom. Their advisor assured me that I could forward the bill to Unicom and that would be dealt with. Upon receiving the cancellation fee, Unicom didn't want to know so I was hit with the fee plus was… Read Full Review

“AVOID THIS COMPANY”

Written on: 22/09/2015 by Emma1955 (1 review written)

When I took over managing the business, Unicom were already providing the phone and broadband. They had cold called. The savings they promised were fantasy. I did manage to change back to BT and, although we received endless threats from them, they eventually backed down over penalty charges. Massive mistake for anyone to get involved with them. I think displeasing customers and then relying on the revenue from penalty charges might actually be their business model… Read Full Review

“ Disgusting Sales”

Written on: 31/07/2015 by Sinclair150 (1 review written)

I was approached by Unicom last year with the promise of a great service and savings on what I was paying to my supplier at the time. I agreed to sign up with Unicom as I believed I was going to receive cheaper prices with them. However after doing a bit of homework discovered that their prices were going to work out a lot more than what I was already paying. I was told by them that I would be able to keep the Broadband with my supplier and have the phone with them, this turned out not to be… Read Full Review

Rmj's Comment

Written on: 31/07/2015

ON 29 JULY 2015 OFCOM FINED UNIVERSAL UTILITIES TRADING AS UNICOM, £200,000 FOR MIS-SELLING LANDLINE TELEPHONE SERVICES
THE DECISION ALSO REQUIRES UNICOM TO TAKE A NUMBER OF STEPS TO HELP COMPENSATE CUSTOMERS AFFECTED BY THE MIS-SELLING AND TO GUARD AGAINST IT HAPPENING AGAIN.

a) paying to all affected customers it is able to identify amounts by way of compensation for loss or damage suffered by them or in respect of annoyance, inconvenience or anxiety to which they have been put and/or by way of ex gratia payments
b) allowing any customers who were misled by Unicom to cease their contract with it, regardless of the length of contract served, with no requirement to pay an ETC or disconnection fee and no requirement to pay any charges for services other than those the customer has used (and where the customer chooses to return to their previous Communications Provider (“CP”), this would include compensation for any charges the customer may incur in the process of returning to that provider)
c) compensating customers who may otherwise have fallen into the above category but who have already returned to their previous CP and have incurred charges in doing so

“DO NOT TOUCH”

Written on: 15/06/2015 by Chris38 (1 review written)

Under no circumstance agree to any form of contract with this company until you have done your own research on them. They are not what they claim to be. INSIST you see and have a copy of the CONTRACT and TERMS & CONDITIONS and READ THEM, before you sign up to them. They will offer you the moon and the stars but on condition you sign up there and then. DO NOT DO IT. You can always phone them back. If you sign up to them and try and leave they will bully you… Read Full Review

“please do not even think about changing over to unicom.”

Written on: 29/04/2015

we have been with Unicom well over 6 years with a business line and a landline they talk you into going with them then when it comes to problems they don't want to know. you phone them they keep passing you over to different people then after a while half way through a conversation they put the phone down. finally we rang to say we didn't want to stay with them any longer and they have sent us a letter saying if we cancel we will have to pay a 1,000 to cancel so still with them. anyone have any… Read Full Review

Abdulhameed's Comment

Written on: 12/05/2015

See
unicom-complaints for more info about unicom

Coffeeandtea's Comment

Written on: 15/07/2015

I'm so angry that I got talked into moving away from BT. The only reason we did was because we were promised cheaper everything, but in actual fact the move has cost us a fortune which we can never get back, and the service has been shocking I can't find words to describe it.

Cpcuboard's Comment

Written on: 16/07/2015

they are a shocking company who I would never recommend to anybody 0 out of 10 for everything. they still keep phoning us to take out gas and electricity with them I don't think so Unicom you are a complete joke. they will continue to pester you with phone calls even when you ask them to stop. so I wish you good luck with them as they are the worst company I have ever dealt with.

“please do not use unicom”

Written on: 28/04/2015 by kath1965 (1 review written)

Please do not use this company. They promise you great deals, but once you have accepted them they do not want to know if you have any problems. If you are a small business they will make you pay. As a small business we thought what a good deal. We were promised if we went with them, they would pay are cancellation fee to another company, this never happened. I was told we would get our deal at half price as I could have got it cheaper for installation from another company, this to never… Read Full Review

“I wish I had found this site first ”

Written on: 16/03/2015 by Joselynf215 (1 review written)

I signed up to Unicom on the 7th Jan 2015 - The transfer hand over for phone and Broadband was due for 27th Jan, did not get Broadband until almost 3 weeks later...Caused major problems for Business and my customers. The first bill has arrived 3 times higher then agreed at meeting with Rep. Have no back up of agreement as rep told me forms we standard and items on it did not relate to me. I did get him to manually change the top copy of the form which he took. Now trying to get a copy of that… Read Full Review

“Nearly two years now and still sending threats.”

Written on: 10/03/2015 by Lighthouseat25 (1 review written)

To cut a long story short. Signed up to Unicom with promises of better and cheaper service. Realised after homework i had been misled and tried to cancel within the cooling of period. I was right, first bill was a staggering 60% more expensive. Ended up being with them for 6 weeks, but was lucky, managed to escape with no disruption to my business phone lines, unlike others, but was hit with huge cancellation fees and threats of court. Please consider other suppliers before entertaining this… Read Full Review

Bigcoolviking's Response to Lighthouseat25's Review

Written on: 15/06/2016

They send out threatening letters from their own in house dept they call 'Universal debt collection' pretending it is a separate company, they have also been accused of pretending to be a county court. This company have no scruples whatsoever, their deceptive extortion tactics should get them shut down

“unprofessional customer service assist”

Written on: 09/03/2015 by Liontoscana (1 review written)

Telephoned Unicom to tell them I had purchased new commercial land No building on the new site yet. They charged me £500 over the phone and arranged a site visit by OPENREACH. On the 2/9/14 they disconnected me by mistake this was only meant to be a site visit by OPENREACH! Going on holiday a few days later no phones, fax or internet. 3 Office staff no work getting done. Lose 2 contracts. Accountant comes in to do the VAT, no internet, no telephone banking no PAYE no wage slips for… Read Full Review

“Avoid.”

Written on: 03/03/2015 by Unicon. (1 review written)

From day one there were problems, but once you sign - forget about customer service. They promised me a wireless router - it didn't arrive, but when I chased up no-one wanted to know. Initially all went well with the lines, then one-day the featurelines we signed up to stopped working. Customer service tell (12 months in) that they never offered the service, that it was impossible that they had been working. Would I like to pay them a lot of money for a system that would work? Not -really… Read Full Review

“horrible company UNICOM”

Written on: 05/02/2015 by heybarnesservicing1977 (1 review written)

strongly not recommend ,they push me for starting contract so hard I been explain they my actual situation (contract with BT) they gave me promise for sort out BT contract but after cancel contract BT like to charge determination fee £1200.Unicom said they can paid only £300.After switch over my internet connection have slow down to 1.2ms (horrible) compare to previous BT 5ms .Last week after bad 2 monts with Unicom I try to come back to BT but Unicom like to charge me for cancel contract… Read Full Review

Bigcoolviking's Response to heybarnesservicing1977's Review

Written on: 15/06/2016

It is a disgusting way to treat customers, I have been shafted by them also, they have another trick where they also pretend to be a separate debt collection company, but is their own sneaky in house team.

“DO NOT SIGN UP”

Written on: 15/01/2015 by AGEA (1 review written)

I was promised a 10% saving on my bill . What I got was a 150% rise and a £500 cancellation bill from old supplier… Read Full Review

Rmj's Response to AGEA's Review

Written on: 15/01/2015

The message from Ofcom is :-
Ofcom suggests that all consumers/businesses that have experienced problems with their communications provider call our contact centre and make a formal record of their complaint. Our contact centre advisors can also provide specific advice on the appropriate next steps. We are open Monday to Friday from 9.00am to 5.00pm.

Bigcoolviking's reply to Rmj's Comment

Written on: 15/06/2016

I have complained to Ofcom twice about this horrible DECEPTIVE company, but they are still ''trading'' I USE THE TERM VERY LOOSLY

“WORST EVER”

Written on: 29/12/2014 by 337Barnes (1 review written)

The WORST Telecoms company I ever dealt with. Biggest mistake ever!!! From high termination fees to rude customer service agents. They were, in my opinion, unprofessional in every aspect. No out of hours service. I think they should be shut down. Will definitely take them to court in a few days time. There is not even one good thing I can say about them. I will fight this to the end!!… Read Full Review

Bigcoolviking's Comment

Written on: 15/06/2016

Same here UNICON ARE A DISGRACE.

“I had a shop the land lord who should have given me...”

Written on: 18/12/2014 by sweetie22 (1 review written)

I had a shop the land lord who should have given me 3months notice did not 5 days they give me to get out I had a five year contract which end and I thought I was getting a new one anyway told UNICOM that I had 5 days toget out could they close down account and send me my bill yes they said But what I got from them was a 1000 pound bill so I phoned them up and said I have no shop I am now on a penson 578 a month will lots of e-mails have they ever taken anyone to court they ask me to get a… Read Full Review

Chrismarsh's Response to sweetie22's Review

Written on: 19/12/2014

Don't panic there is lots of help out there! Search Google for Unicom-Complaints and look for the uk address and you will find a very useful usergroup that can help contact them and they will help with ideas on where to go next.

How long is remaining on your Contract?

I have not heard to date of Unicom taking anyone to Court, however they do send out incomplete Court Summons with the intention of bullying you into complying with their demands.

“pushy company promising to save you money”

Written on: 16/12/2014 by IrelandDaugherty60 (1 review written)

dreadful company promising to save you money . Do not touch this company , promised no disruption to phone line but was without one for 12 hours on the switch over, didint offer me a one year contract pushed me straight into a 3 year. DO NOT ENGAGE WITH THIS COMPAY SEE ALL COMPLAINTS… Read Full Review

Chrismarsh's Comment

Written on: 19/12/2014

The length of contract is a real bone of contention with me and even when questioned they state that they only do 3 year contracts! I thought that under the guidelines laid down by Ofcom that they had to be able to offer a 1 year alternative to consumers and small businesses. Unicom don't believe this applies to them. They will also tell you verbally that if you cease to trade during the contract period that there are "No Termination Fees" however they then mumble "We will just continue to INVOICE"; really how can that be a Fair Contract term?

“Merciless ”

Written on: 26/10/2014 by geckogirl27 (4 reviews written)

My experience with this awful company was one of the most stressful things I have ever been through. I was with another company, that Unicom bought out, making me a Unicom customer overnight, without my consent, or choice. I was told in a simple "welcome" letter that I now had to adhere to THEIR terms and conditions, not those of the company I signed up with. I was never issued these terms and my prices went up over 50% with NO warning !! I gave 30 days to leave, then was given a hefty £400… Read Full Review

“I think they are pushy and nasty - AVOID!!”

Written on: 22/10/2014 by Rowane282 (1 review written)

After being badgered by this company for months, I decided to relent and talk to them about their offer. They try to talk over you, try to make you second guess yourself and are pushy to the point of harassment. When I told the sales representative that I was tired of him talking over me and pressuring me, and I'd rather have a number to call them for when I'd done all my research he told me "not to bother as he didn't want to be a nuisance" in such a cocky tone - well little does he know I'm… Read Full Review