Vauxhall Calibra Turbo 4x4 Reviews

Vauxhall Calibra Turbo 4x4 - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Vauxhall Calibra Turbo 4x4

Vauxhall Calibra Turbo 4x4
Vauxhall Calibra Turbo 4x4

“superb aerodynamic coeff. 0.26 ”

Written on: 26/02/2010

not need other… Read Full Review

“PASSION: ”

Written on: 17/11/2009

PASSION:
Well..I was in love with this car for almost a decade and my quest for a mint conditioned stock Calibra Turbo 4x4 has ended last February.I see at this car as one of the best ever made in the world..a true DTM legend with looks and performance beyond it`s time, yet reliable & practical and an incredible value for money today.
CONDITION & REPAIRS:
The bodywork is still in excellent condition after almost 15 years..no corrosion, no rust, and it hasn`t been repainted.

I changed all the… Read Full Review

“Vauxhall Calibra Turbo 4x4 is poor on fuel. makes...”

Written on: 12/04/2009 by smithsonjames (1 review written)

Vauxhall Calibra Turbo 4x4 is poor on fuel. makes Exremely good car seem average, Best buy i have made. SuUCCINT TO THE POINT , AS ANY OWNER WIILL Know… Read Full Review

“Absolutely savage performance, my Vauxhall Calibra...”

Written on: 30/01/2009 by callyturbo (1 review written)

Absolutely savage performance, my Vauxhall Calibra Turbo was doing 0-60 in less than five seconds without costing the earth to tune. Beat Supra TT, skyline and a few evo's.
Great looks, cheap to tax, insure and generally run. This is a serious bit of kit that will do well over 160mph (chip it and you will get just shy of 180mph, trust me). How many cars for any amount of money can do that? Very underrated makes them very desirable to people in the know!! Nothing better than when you… Read Full Review

“dont let the bad points put you off buying a calibra ”

Written on: 04/11/2008

dont let the bad points put you off buying a calibra
i know i havent been put off..i have had 4 calibras now and i LOVE them, they are full of spirit -good looks- and very cheap to buy. i know some people that have had as many as 10 calibras and they still love them
there are times in calibra ownership that you will think "i cant be bothered with the hastle anymore" due to engine problems but as the problem passes and the car is fixed you some how seem to admire it even more
this is the way i… Read Full Review

“Change transfer box oil every 6 months an it won't...”

Written on: 31/10/2008

Change transfer box oil every 6 months an it won't fail. I've had 4 of these cars covering over 500000 mile an no probs, the tyre equal wear is a myth. Trust me… Read Full Review

“Love these cars bought one a few years ago and still...”

Written on: 18/07/2008

Love these cars bought one a few years ago and still have mine. Its a turbo and very little has went wrong with it over the years which is good comparing to the last car I had that always went wrong… Read Full Review

“The car keeps pulling in every gear, and it has great...”

Written on: 19/12/2007

The car keeps pulling in every gear, and it has great power increase potential. You don't need to do a lot to the car to make them look nice. I was very pleased at the way the car pulls you into your seat when you put your foot down. Its the best car for power i have driven. A truly awesome car… Read Full Review

“Despite not being a v8 beater standard wise, there's...”

Written on: 11/12/2007

Despite not being a v8 beater standard wise, there's ample potential to revert it into a v8 beater with simple and cheap mods, making it one of the best bang for buck cars in the planet… Read Full Review

“I have owned my Calibra for over a year now and I love...”

Written on: 06/12/2007 by dave916 (1 review written)

I have owned my Calibra for over a year now and I love it. Being a member of ClubCalibra.com I have learnt a lot about maintaining it and getting the most out of my Calibra. Top Car!… Read Full Review

“First few months I had the Vauxhall Calibra it gave me...”

Written on: 11/06/2006 by callydan (1 review written)

First few months I had the Vauxhall Calibra it gave me engine problems due to lack of maintenance from the previous owner, but I've now got it to my own standards and the car is great. Packs a real punch when the boost is set properly but must be run on 98 ron fuel like Shell Optimax etc, not that standard stuff. I don't think the transfer box is working but I'll get round to that some day because I can't put it off the road on purpose due to the thrill of thrashing every scooby the tries to… Read Full Review

“I have one of the last 51 Vauxhall Calibra Turbos...”

Written on: 05/10/2005 by LE number 17 (1 review written)

I have one of the last 51 Vauxhall Calibra Turbos ever built (LE no.17)I can only say I love the car . The previous owner had invested in some expensive engine mods taking the power to over 300bhp, while it's not a rocket ship off the line (it's about 2 tonne) it will beat almost anything top end and I have experienced the top speed of over 160mph (on a track officer, honest) The car is really well put together, mine now has over 120k on the clock, yet the car is still in good cond and… Read Full Review

275076_Ema1234's Response to LE number 17's Review

Written on: 19/01/2007

I Know someone that has a Calibra 1998 Turbo. His horse powerr is at 380 - 400. The whole engine is built up bigger, and the turbo is one of a kind.

“These Vauxhall Calibra Turbo 4x4 sports cars tend to...”

Written on: 03/02/2005 by willwjl (1 review written)

These Vauxhall Calibra Turbo 4x4 sports cars tend to come in for a lot of criticism so I hope my example will redress the balance a little. My car is high mileage (165000) miles but has only had one owner besides myself from new. It was a company owned vehicle before I had it, so it was high mileage, but it had been serviced by the book and was completely standard when I bought it.
It has had no problems to date, probably because it hasn't been modified. Big bore exhausts reduce low speed… Read Full Review

270948_Swanseacorsa's Response to willwjl's Review

Written on: 15/12/2006

I agree 110% with what you said about the Vauxhall Calibra. I have one, but it is slightly modded. I'm a bit worried I'm going to break it. Seriously though, I'm thinking of dropping it in a nice Corsa. I'm wondering, what are your thoughts on this?

Willwjl's Response to willwjl's Review

Written on: 17/01/2007

Calibra Turbo engine and box into a Corsa....
<br/>
<br/>This would be a pretty good conversion, as the engine and box are probably the strongest most understressed parts of the vehicle. I presume the conversion kit blanks off the f28 six speed where it attaches to the transfer box.
<br>
<br/>How does the complete unit fit in a Corsa? The reason I ask is because if you look on a six speed Calibra, the end of the gearbox sticks out into the arch behind the nearside front wheel. Presumably some cutting is in order.
<br/>
<br>I've absolutely no idea how much heavier the turbo engine and gearbox is than the Corsa's standard kit, but I've seen Omega v6 engined Corsa's, so presumably they can take the weight.
<br/>
<br>I think you'd want to upgrade the suspension, and obviously the brakes. I think the front suspension doesn't need to be too hard, otherwise it will understeer and torque steer too easily.
<br/>
<br>You'll probably end up with near supercar performance, so watch out for speed cameras. I got badly done by South Wales police last year.

“First of all - could everybody submitting reviews...”

Written on: 30/10/2003 by Veej (1 review written)

First of all - could everybody submitting reviews please write in language which can be understood - think punctuation, grammar, and spelling!!!

Vauxhall Calibra's are notoriously fussy cars, requiring perhaps more than necessary attention. But then it really depends on the type of car you're after. A simple run-around it is most definitely not. A fine sportscar it is, but with this comes responsibility. Treat it with respect and it will reward you with a lot of fun for not much money. The… Read Full Review

Tommyp's Response to Veej's Review

Written on: 27/10/2004

Do you have any detailed photo's of the engine set up on the calibra turbo. I'm having a few problems with some vacuum piping and a few sensors. Any help much appreciated.

Veej's Response to Veej's Review

Written on: 28/10/2004

Hi mate,
<br>Try www.maxboost.com
<br>
<br>Should have all the necessary information there.
<br>Enjoy!
<br>Veej.

“Overall for insurance purposes the calibra is an...”

Written on: 27/07/2003 by Phil. (1 review written)

Overall for insurance purposes the calibra is an excellent choice. Out of the cars I looked at it was the cheapest to buy, cheapest to insure and the bits are by far the cheapest out of all the 2l 4x4 turbo cars out there. I have a baby seat in the back which makes it difficult sometimes but i have got used to it. Oh and i find it very difficult to fill up with fuel properly coz the neck is all over the place… Read Full Review

“The turbo packed up.... oh hell I thought... this is...”

Written on: 19/12/2002 by Steve. (1 review written)

The turbo packed up.... oh hell I thought... this is gonna be expensive to repair.... Well I live not far from the place that makes the turbo's ( Huddersfield )... They don't sell the bits individually you have to buy the whole unit.... The problem with mine was the bronze ring that holds the impellors in place had worn... So I had a new one made... cost... £2.00 sterling .... Before you part with your cash it pays to have a look at it first… Read Full Review

“I have owned my Vauxhall Calibra Turbo 4x4 since 1996....”

Written on: 16/10/2002 by Steven Li. (1 review written)

I have owned my Vauxhall Calibra Turbo 4x4 since 1996. It was a used 2 year old car. The only major problems I have experienced was the transfer box (replaced under warranty thank goodness!) water pump and new clutch. The car has now covered 110,000 miles and the engine still revs eagerly and performance is as strong as ever. I change the oil & filter every 4500 miles which is probably why it's not even tappety at start up (yet). Make sure you change oil regularly and only ever replace both… Read Full Review

50803_Kenny.'s Response to Steven Li.'s Review

Written on: 13/11/2002

It's good to know someone else has had a problen with their transfer box. Would you know of any company numbers I can get in touch with regaurds bhp increase? Also what exhaust, filter and chip do you recommend? Do you know of any nice Calibra Turbos for sale -also whats the latest calibra turbo available.

51108_Carl.'s Response to Steven Li.'s Review

Written on: 15/11/2002

Guys, you have to change all four tyres at once and ideally rotate them every 1500-2000 miles. This is the surefire way to keep your transfer box in tip top condition. Log on to www.cavweb-forums.co.uk or www.migweb.co.uk/forums to learn more.

“This 4x4 turbo is my second Vauxhall Calibra, the...”

Written on: 12/09/2002 by Ron. (1 review written)

This 4x4 turbo is my second Vauxhall Calibra, the first being an auto non turbo. I found it second hand on the internet with 17000km on the clock. It has been reliable as clockwork with now 99000km on the clock. I have had the back end modified with eccentric bushes to allow adjustment of wheel alignment. This has worked wonders with all tyres now showing even wear across the tread. The car is regularly serviced by the local Holden dealer (in Australia, Calibras are marketed as Holdens even… Read Full Review

“I bought my Vauxhall Calibra turbo 4x4 in November of...”

Written on: 20/06/2002 by Scott. (1 review written)

I bought my Vauxhall Calibra turbo 4x4 in November of last year. I only had it exactly one week before the problems started!!! The first problem was the wiring. Basically it melted the ignition wire all the way through the car!! Cost £600. Then the engine blew up because a spark plug snapped and fell inside the engine, causing major damage. Cost £1200 to rebuild! Can anyone help me with the 4x4 setup?? How does it actually work? I still get loads of wheelspin pulling away and i don't feel the… Read Full Review

29397_Adam.'s Response to 28627_Scott.'s Review

Written on: 26/06/2002

scott-if you or anyone else reading this want any further advice on buying/owning a calibra go to www.clubcalibra.com and register on the forums and the members will give helpful advice.

Baziltonbond's Response to 28627_Scott.'s Review

Written on: 23/10/2004

Hey Guys
<br>
<br>i was looking for a review on My calibra V6 when I stumbled across you.
<br>Quick note, I own a bike shop, and as such get to play with lots of bikes. In a straight line, how many cars can get to 60 in less than 3 seconds?
<br>To be fair, not all bikes can post a time like that, but certainly most 600 will achieve this, unless it's grandads triumph or something equally bad...Just remember, most bikers dont have to prove they can go fast...V6 is quick...but it's got nothing on a Kwak ZX10.
<br>So to all you heroes looking to prove something against a bike,....you have to get a bike...far harder to ride fast than when sat on your butt with 4 wheels under you.
<br>Rant Rant Rant...

169908_Ag Tu's Response to 28627_Scott.'s Review

Written on: 12/09/2004

I'll settle this once and for all. In a straight line nothing this side of a supercar will keep up with a sports or super bike. Although whoever said an Apprila 125 does 0-60 in 4.5 secs is dreaming. However, through a set of sharp corners or in any non perfect weather conditions a Renault 5 would be a match for ANY bike.

Pihead11's Response to 28627_Scott.'s Review

Written on: 07/12/2003

If you can't pull away from lights without wheel-spinning get your self a tank, or learn how to drive, drive properly before you kill yorself or someone

117636_King Tommo.'s Response to 28627_Scott.'s Review

Written on: 21/07/2003

the rear drive is disconnected in transfer box to cure fault banging e.t.c hence your wheelspin I work in a transmission specialist and have seen this done hundreds of times. to cure it you will need new/re con transfer box..

57345_Davey.'s Response to 28627_Scott.'s Review

Written on: 11/12/2002

I can see why people jump on a soap box when they see comments about beating a bike, considering even a full power Aprilia RS125 does 0-60 in 4.5 seconds and is light as a feather so handling is not an issue, obviously the top end is only about 110mph but then on the other hand you've got things like a CBR900 which will do 0-60 in just over 3 seconds and top out at over 170mph. Not many cars can do that! But then again you might be talking about 50cc's, commuter 125's and the odd cruiser.
If you want to feel good just race some big bikes in the wet or ice, your bound to win with a 4x4 ;)

51384_Lowrider.'s Response to 28627_Scott.'s Review

Written on: 16/11/2002

Who ever is taking the p**s out of this guy 4 sayin hes beat the odd bike in his calibra really hasn't been in 1. I've blown scoobys, cossies, gti r's and more than the odd bike in mine. Quick isn't the word 4 these lads. So stop takin the p**s and get back to tinting ur windows on ur shoddy xr3s u losers. Come back when you can afford a real racers car. keep those turbos spinnig lads. LOWRIDER

50978_Carl.'s Response to 28627_Scott.'s Review

Written on: 14/11/2002

As above, register on www.cavweb-forums.co.uk or www.migweb.co.uk/forums and the knowledgeable chaps there will help with all your problems. ;)

39508_Bean.'s Response to 28627_Scott.'s Review

Written on: 24/09/2002

racing bikes! probally a mountain bike ;o)

37352_Mad Frank.'s Response to 28627_Scott.'s Review

Written on: 11/09/2002

what bikes u been racing 125s?
<br>An RGV250 would kick ur a** nevermind something like a CBR600 or a blade. Stop dreaming and come back to reality.

Wiley.'s Response to 28627_Scott.'s Review

Written on: 07/08/2002

i agree with everything he said, i find the same thing with the 4x4 on my cavalier turbo, also nobody can tell me much about how to repair or solve these problems. if you have any advice on this contact me on wiley_sheehan@hotmail.com

“I have just bought my third Vauxhall Calibra, another...”

Written on: 13/06/2002 by Andy. (1 review written)

I have just bought my third Vauxhall Calibra, another 4x4 Turbo 1994. My first Calibra was a 1992 YE (non- Turbo), no problems at all except for dramas with the fiited alarm system. But the car itself was great. Then purchased a 1996 Calibra Turbo 4x4, and loved it. Until a Ford Falcon decided to go through a red light and take me out. It spent three months in the panel shop. It was not the same car after the accident so i sold it. But up till then again never had any problems. So due to not… Read Full Review

Ezz's Response to 27629_Andy.'s Review

Written on: 24/12/2005

Too right these cars are great fun my last calibra was awsome! Nothing but fun!!!! I dont think you can truly appreciate these cars until you've owned one!!!