Citroen AX GT 1.4 Reviews

Citroen AX GT 1.4 - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Citroen AX GT 1.4

Citroen AX GT 1.4
Citroen AX GT 1.4

“I had to write another review of the AX GT because i...”

Written on: 13/11/2009 by rupesmcd (2 reviews written)

I had to write another review of the AX GT because i love these cars so much. Just came across my original review of the car from 2004, well since then i have owned 2 more of these and currently have a black mk1 with 100k on the clock as my run about. Awesome. 162 quid to insure and 120 a year to tax. Spot on. Never fails to put a smile on my face everyday- all standard, 1 previous owner, no rust. Gets a lot of interest from younger boy racers and fellow hot hatch connoisseurs! The reasons the… Read Full Review

Farra1's Response to rupesmcd's Review

Written on: 01/05/2013

does anyone know how to take the dash board out of a citreon ax gt

“ The Citroen AX GT 1.4 is pretty sporty, quite a bit...”

Written on: 23/06/2009

The Citroen AX GT 1.4 is pretty sporty, quite a bit of torque, good for steep hills and buses on the motorway… Read Full Review

“Overall the Power down to the ground and the handling...”

Written on: 09/06/2009 by lfcman91 (1 review written)

Overall the Power down to the ground and the handling capability, my mum had a Citroen AX GT 1.4 and it was the greatest car shes ever had...she even misses it now 10 years later!!… Read Full Review

“I've had my rally prep'd Ax bout 9 mths. The only time...”

Written on: 13/12/2008 by furney1962 (1 review written)

I've had my rally prep'd Ax bout 9 mths. The only time let down wen n/s engine mount bolt sheared droppin engine 2 sumpgaurd & raggin driveshaft to oblivion. Was gutted coz at the time doin gud job of harrassin V6 cougar. He had me on straight but no match wen in lanes in derbyshire. Really annoyed driver off not bein able 2 leave a li'l citroen. But after tow home & 20 mins twirlin spanners woz bak up n running & out on prowl ready 2 surprise loads of(supposedly more pwerful) cars. It's great… Read Full Review

“I have had 2 Citroen AX gts they are wicked cars my...”

Written on: 30/04/2008 by dalby57 (1 review written)

I have had 2 Citroen AX gts they are wicked cars my current one is at 90 bhp and will see series 1/2 rsts, 106 gtis, Saxo vts, 106 rallys off any day cus off the power to weight ratio. If you want one then i say you wont look back… Read Full Review

“I have owned 7 of these little rocket powered roller...”

Written on: 07/04/2008 by thehobster (1 review written)

I have owned 7 of these little rocket powered roller skates and I still love them, I have owned many fast cars including sunny GTI, Nova GTI, a maxed senator pushing 265 bhp and many more but on todays roads these ax gt's are great. I just brought an e plate with 49 on the clock and its fantastic, I like these cars as they're easy to work on and bits are cheap. Their only down fall is the creaky interior, but if you can put up with this you will not find a more fun car for the money, buy one… Read Full Review

“The Citroen AX GT 1.4 in my opinion is only beaten by...”

Written on: 14/12/2007 by Bob c (1 review written)

The Citroen AX GT 1.4 in my opinion is only beaten by seriously quick machines or bikes, that is with a proper driver behind the wheel! Watch out for a worn bearing at the end of the rear axle. Many people tell me the only sane cure is to replace the whole axle! Can anyone help here as I'm off the road until it's fixed? My car goes like a turbo car with a surprising push back in the seat… Read Full Review

“I brought my Citroen ax GT MRK1 F Reg(1989) in 2005 It...”

Written on: 13/12/2007 by Purdz (1 review written)

I brought my Citroen ax GT MRK1 F Reg(1989) in 2005 It had 67 on the clock, now it has 88. Front bad boy bonnet with ego vent. Blue metallic, flushed tail. Jan speed through out. lowered 40mm at front 60mm back. With 15'' alloys it does rub at the back when some one sits in back. Alpine head unit 6 by 9s at rear also two 12 inch subs which gives god sound as well as traction at rear hehe. I love it, has never let me down from the lights. Very good on fuel very easy to look after yourself… Read Full Review

“For the price you pay, you can't have as much fun in...”

Written on: 30/11/2007 by Jamie33 (1 review written)

For the price you pay, you can't have as much fun in any other car. Truly fantastic go-kart like little motor with boasting massive potential, light weight and an element of surprise!… Read Full Review

“I think that they should stop making round bubbly cars...”

Written on: 24/03/2007 by mikemcguire86 (1 review written)

I think that they should stop making round bubbly cars because theres no style in them no more and theres no shape!

I think that the AX GT its a wicked car and that you should get one, if you want style, looks, performance and glamour then get this car. I've kitted my car up body kit 17inch wheels, low suspension and bright yellow. It has cost me over £3500 just to do all these things and it has taken me a year and a half to get it looking this way!… Read Full Review

Mikemcguire86's Response to mikemcguire86's Review

Written on: 27/03/2007

i agree with your coments and yea the saxo its a bit to ugly! i really want one now soo where can i get a ax gt from but also kitted like yours. thanks.

Mikemcguire86's Response to mikemcguire86's Review

Written on: 27/03/2007

heavy car i realy ready do want a ax gt but a gti can u tell me more about them please.

“It has semi bucket seats, tinted windows, and it goes...”

Written on: 03/01/2007 by TaZoZu (1 review written)

It has semi bucket seats, tinted windows, and it goes like the wind. It is so nice to drive this car; it's like flying.

The Citroen AX GT 1.4 is an amazing car! When you are going fast in it, you are pushed into your seat, and I raced with it and never lost… Read Full Review

Mikemcguire86's Response to TaZoZu's Review

Written on: 25/03/2007

I own an AX gt 1.4 and I think its the best car I've ever driven and I've had two cars and both crashed ! And it's true it does drink your petrol when you speed! My other 2 cars were a Nissan Mirca J reg 1 litre and I had an AX Spree 1.1 litre, and now I own an AX GT it's the best car! But the down side of my AX GT is it has over 100000 miles on the clock. But I want the AX GTi - it's injection!

“My Citroen AX GT 1.4 is probably one of the best cars...”

Written on: 15/08/2006 by fenn (1 review written)

My Citroen AX GT 1.4 is probably one of the best cars I have owned for speed for money! It has put a smile on my face and a frown on others when I go flying past in my little AX. Lovely little car, sticks to the road good with standard wheels!… Read Full Review

“I have owned a 91 Citroen AX GT 1.4 (carb) for around...”

Written on: 09/04/2006 by jj76 (1 review written)

I have owned a 91 Citroen AX GT 1.4 (carb) for around one year. I bought it for £400 unmodded with 90k on the clock, it came with a stack of bills and NO rust. I have owned dozens of 'hot hatches' and the only ones that came close were a Diahatsu Charade gtti turb and the Renault 5 turbo. I have cained this little car everywhere and it has never let me down. And it's surprisingly comfortable for a small car , and it holds the road very well. I much prefer the look over the Saxo as well. It has… Read Full Review

“I have had two Citroen AX GT's the first i kitted out...”

Written on: 02/12/2005 by jimbo da bong (1 review written)

I have had two Citroen AX GT's the first i kitted out with a cam which took it to 100bhp (rolling roaded). Handling is poor on the standard tyres so you need to beef them up with the same tyre size fitted to VTRs,The engine is quality on full throttle even with the mesasly 32/34 solex unit.

1/4mile in 16 flat (beat that vtr!!!)

I want tell a story of a mate who spend 2 grand on the engine of his Calibra 20 16v. I had to load the AX five up before he beat me :) best 500 notes I have ever… Read Full Review

“Only buy one if you want to be laughed at. Save up...”

Written on: 23/07/2005 by darrylhills (1 review written)

Only buy one if you want to be laughed at. Save up and get a saxo instead, that will save you the embarrassment… Read Full Review

Darting's Response to 203110_darrylhills's Review

Written on: 13/09/2005

I'd rather not have a chavtastic Saxo, that everyone has. The new Nova. An AX GT will eat a VTR alive, although obviously won't beat a VTS.
<br>
<br>
<br>Much rarer and have alot more class. And more reliable.

“I started off my driving career with the Citroen AX...”

Written on: 29/06/2005 by darting (1 review written)

I started off my driving career with the Citroen AX MK2 Forte 1.1, and have just upgraded to a J reg MK1 GT. These are fantastic little cars and brilliant fun. Make sure you get a good one, and keep it well maintaned and you will have little trouble. The GT is seriously quick for what it is and has been able to beat several more "desirable" and powerful cars really rather easily. The short ratio gearbox makes it difficult to get all the power down sometimes, and takes some getting used to.. but… Read Full Review

“I bought my Citroen AX GT 1.4 8 months ago and I...”

Written on: 23/04/2005 by eminem fan 27 (1 review written)

I bought my Citroen AX GT 1.4 8 months ago and I totally love it! I got it for £400 with fsh and 78k on the clock and in good condition. A friend had 2 so I became interested when I found out how fast they were for a 1.4 and I liked the look of them. The insurance is cheap for the performance (I am 17 and paying £900 a year tpft on my dads insurance) as well and mods are fairly easy to find. The 3 stud wheel fitment makes buying better alloys difficult. I have only had a problem with the… Read Full Review

“Citroen AX GT 1.4: Have owned an AX GT for over a year...”

Written on: 21/12/2004 by badassaxgt (2 reviews written)

Citroen AX GT 1.4: Have owned an AX GT for over a year and it seriously is the bees knees! It cost only £800 quid, not bad bodywork and a few mods already done. I have lowered it (speed humps are out of the question) with Spax and I got 15" Compomotive MOs. I have tinted the windows, added some 6 x 9s and a 15" sub and amp. Have also maintained this car on my own (head gasket, clutch, exhaust, brakes) and I have had no training!!!
I ran it up Santa Pod in Sept 04 and got early 17 sec. which… Read Full Review

“Bought my Citroen AX GT 1.4 a week ago and have had...”

Written on: 08/09/2004 by Dave Ellis (1 review written)

Bought my Citroen AX GT 1.4 a week ago and have had great fun in it since. Just line yourself up next to just about any other hot hatch at the traffic lights, let them know you want a race and watch them smirk at the 16 year old Citroen next to them. The next time you see them they'll be in your rear view mirrors. There are very few exceptions to this rule, and if you really cant beat them off the line, then nail them down a country lane, where the AX really is unbeatable. Either way, its not… Read Full Review

Matt1Tvr's Response to Dave Ellis's Review

Written on: 13/10/2004

It should just bend back. I guess you should take it to a garage but short term you could just take a hammer to it.

288215_Adrian17Cy's Response to Dave Ellis's Review

Written on: 07/05/2007

I have a question.... is the car economical? Fuel consumption I mean.... how many L/km?

Xytras's Response to Dave Ellis's Review

Written on: 25/11/2005

No offence dude, I can understand your enthusiasm but I drive a saxo 1.6 16v (fastest version) and my car doesn't go under 8.5 sec (0-60) so I seriously doubt that yours does it in 8 flat ;).
<br>And you also told us that you beat a Ford Fiesta XR2i which I find very strange because I myself was beaten by one of those (then again, it has 130hp, I've got only 120 and you have... 75hp, you see where I'm coming from?)

Dave Ellis's Response to Dave Ellis's Review

Written on: 21/01/2005

p.s. matey with the tigra, you're right, the AX is a proper rapid car, and will have most things off the line, at least up to 60, where engine size starts to play a part, but I am getting sick of having the car compared to the saxo VTR. The VTR is not a hot hatch, its a warm hatch, its the one that people buy (or get their parents to buy) when they pass their test and then they go and tell their mates they have a sports car. i'm almost getting tired of wiping the grins off the faces of standard VTR owners who think that just because mummy paid 10 times for his car what i paid for mine it will be quicker. it's not! when will they learn? If you want a proper rapid new car then buy a VTS, which bizarrely most people seem to think is slower, because it is very, very quick. If you want to be beaten by a 16 year old AX, buy a VTR, the choice is simple, so can we please not talk about beating a Saxo VTR off the line as though it's some sort of acheivement?
<br>Thankyou

Dave Ellis's Response to Dave Ellis's Review

Written on: 21/01/2005

Ah, u must be that legendary maths teacher ive heard so much about! yeah, I did buy it off Amy, and I kinda guessed it wasn't her that did the modifying... Where'd u get the piperx filter from? The sticker's still on the back and people laugh when they find out the car hasn't actually got one! Dont worry, the little beasty's back on the road now almost as good as new, and still embarrassing cars twice it's size. Latest conquests include a mondeo ST200 and a BMW 3 series Alpina (well, he didnt start pulling away until about 80). Exhaust has been returned to standard because the middle pipe developed a hole, I got a defective notice from the police and it needed to be fixed. You must have modified the old middle box because kwik fit couldn't get the peco back box to fit again, and so i had to have a standard one :-( it sounds poor, but still flies, full system on its way when I can afford it :-) Ooh, and I sold the back box for £50 to a mate with a Mk2 Golf, which I was pretty chuffed about!
<br>Good to hear from you, and I hear you're into some jap motors now? If you ever fancy a race just come back to good old tiptree and we'll see what we can do...

Spliff1Star's Response to Dave Ellis's Review

Written on: 17/12/2004

I once owned a 110bhp 1.6 16v Tigra and one of these pulled up next to me at the lights. I looked at him he looked back he reved his engine. I reved mine and it sounded twice as loud. The lights changed his car set of quicker than mine. At 20mph he is ahead, 40mph he's still infront 60mph I'm next to him. At 70mph I overtake his car but his still close I had to change into 4th gear until I started to pull away from his car. They really can move! I raced Saxo vtrs with the Tigra when I had it and none of them moved off that quick and had that much trouble to overtake. Most around are battered an this one was in average condition so I don't no what a mint one would drive like. Got nuff respect for these cars, sham about the build quality and pull out with one hand dash.

177252_Patc's Response to Dave Ellis's Review

Written on: 17/11/2004

If you bought it off Amy - then it was my AX before it! I bought the Wolfrace alloys. Sad you crashed it - that was my pride and joy!! It has a piperx filter too, but she didn't want it on it! That made a big difference!!

“I have nothing but praise for the Citroen AX GT 1.4,...”

Written on: 16/05/2004 by rupesmcd (2 reviews written)

I have nothing but praise for the Citroen AX GT 1.4, it looks great, handles great, it's quick, doesn't drink much fuel, never ever breaks down, only small things have gone wrong and they have cost peanuts to put right. I have a 91 J which I bought with FSH 9 months ago with 64k on the clock for 400 quid! I had it serviced and it passed its MOT with only a wheel bearing at fault. It is full original spec apart from I have had the alloys diamond cut (look sweet), and uprated the front brakes… Read Full Review