Renault 1764 Clio16V Reviews

Renault 1764 Clio16V - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Renault 1764 Clio16V

Renault 1764 Clio16V
Renault 1764 Clio16V

“I've had my Renault 1764 Clio 16v for about six months...”

Written on: 23/04/2002 by Tom. (1 review written)

I've had my Renault 1764 Clio 16v for about six months and i'm so impressed with the performance on the whole. They have plenty of low down torque and lots of top end. Who needs an RST! I haven't really gone mad with the moddin yet i've only fitted a full stainless and a k&n induction kit… Read Full Review

Kveale's Response to 20766_Tom.'s Review

Written on: 03/09/2003

I read the review and i can totally agree with you ,the 16valver is the best car i have ever owned and i have had rs turbos 309gti 205gti and more at the moment i have a rs turbo cabriolet and none of them match the clio the closest which comes is the 309gti phase2 but still no comp the cabriolet is up for sell now so i can get another clio i cant wait i had my old clio chipped and had a k+n induction kit and a s/s exhuast and there was not many cars that could keep up.

270335_Herb2578's Response to 20766_Tom.'s Review

Written on: 11/12/2006

I agree with samm, even though I loved my 16v my 205 XS. Lowered on 195 40 15's it handled a lot better until it came to rain or icy conditions, then I agree; the 16v is better, unless on wide tyres.

Nadclio's Response to 20766_Tom.'s Review

Written on: 11/01/2005

I have had a 16 valver for nearly a year now. Apart from little problems (like the gearbox and clutch going on the first day I had it) it has been good. Very quick and fun to drive. Just one thing I would advise anybody on getting one, when you have it dont buy lots of little things for it because at some point somthing is going to go wrong with it especially if it is driven hard. If it is anything to do with the engine it is difficult and costly to fix.

Samm's Response to 20766_Tom.'s Review

Written on: 31/03/2004

I think this car is very good but there is no way on earth it would keep up with my 205- 185bhp, and weighs less. I doubt the handling is better and the 205 is quicker in a straight line than the 309 and handles better as it is lighter.
<br>But I would really like to get a Clio Cup, anyone driven this car??

Bmw E30's Response to 20766_Tom.'s Review

Written on: 09/09/2003

i too owned one of these 16 valvers which was lowered and with a K+N.As much as i loved the car i traded it in for a saxo vtr as the problems i encountered was a never ending list.wheel bearings,centre exhaust breaking 3 times(no provision for a hanger to support it),head gasket(we did this ourselves-a nightmare job!!!),WEAK clutch cable breaks every 6mths,and the list goes on.On a plus point it could go round corners quicker than ANY car i ever raced and also outbrake them too.Amazing car,if only these few things were sorted when designing the 16valve it would be up there with the best.If you only ever do one mod to them GET A K+N!!!!

“I have had my Renault 1764 Clio 16v lowered, Chipped,...”

Written on: 15/02/2002 by Nut. (1 review written)

I have had my Renault 1764 Clio 16v lowered, Chipped, power boost valve fitted, air filter, exhaust, interior mods, piper cams + venier pullys, looks and sounds amazing. If anyone's ever driven one of these cars for a period of time they will understand why it still puts a smile on my face, even after a year. The car is supposedly overshadowed by the Williams, (who wants gold wheels anyway ), but in reality the Williams is only a fraction quicker standard and cost 3 to 4 grand more, WHY?… Read Full Review

52114_300 Bhp Gt Turbo.'s Response to Nut.'s Review

Written on: 20/11/2002

Get your self down to BB tuning & get a turbo conversion. You will see the good side of 300 BHP.

Spliff1Star's Response to Nut.'s Review

Written on: 25/01/2007

Nice to see someone agree. I would be screwing if a VTS kept up with me in a Clio 16v. I can't stand them. The big advantage they have is that they're light, and the Clio would be a heavier car, but still better and more fun to drive.

270335_Herb2578's Response to Nut.'s Review

Written on: 11/12/2006

I agree with spliff1star. In a way, the Williams is better because it has wider axles for better handling, and the 2ltr is a lot more torquey, but for a budget hot hatch, the 16v is a lot better than newer cars. Mine was pushing 176 at wheels, and I loved it, and in a way I miss it, because it was totally underrated by R5 GTT Saxo's and 106 GTi's. I had to get rid of it when racing a VTS, and it kept up with me all the way.

Spliff1Star's Response to Nut.'s Review

Written on: 21/12/2004

I had one of these for a short time, around 2months. It was fast and left a lot of bigger engine cars. Sold it for half its value to get a Punto GT turbo. After that, bought a Williams Phase 2. The Williams is in a different league to the 16v - its 0-60 is quicker and the power it delivers is twice as good. Handling is a lot better and the engine, gearbox and clutch are a lot stronger. Unless you have driven one I think you shouldn't try and compare or comment on the Williams. Even if it does have gold rims. Unless you buy an m-reg onwards 16v you get those silly disk-looking rims on the 16v. The Williams is a drivers' car, a classic and was voted in the top 10 drivers' cars of all time (Evo magazine). As I said, I did own a 16v Clio and it was good car, but doesn't hold its value either and the Williams does.

Q's Response to Nut.'s Review

Written on: 31/12/2003

Your pretty spot on there,
<br>Ive had mine for 4 years & it still puts a smile on my face, it is black has been lowered with chrome momo arrows, kent fast road cams, gas ported head, K&N, superchipped, devil exhaust etc it has been roling roaded at 190 bhp, but at the moment is broke as the can belt has slipped & I have no compresion in 2 cylinders. I am driving an XR2 as a runaround whilst the clio is fixed, I miss it so much & look forward to its return

Lovell's Response to Nut.'s Review

Written on: 12/12/2003

Completely agree. My clio has been modified,lowered, magnex exghaust,chipped,k&n etc and as a girl racer no one can pass me and it definately turns heads!Williams blue, full leather int. Williams very shabby in comparison, gold wheels- yuk!