Halfords Reviews

Halfords - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Halfords

Halfords

“Fantastic experience at halfords Inverness”

Written on: 20/11/2014

I really wanted to say a huge thank you to the sales assistant.I know it states not to mention staffs name but I feel he deserves credit for such fantastic service.I was having a terrible day after my car wouldn't start due to my battery needing replaced.I went else where first where they tried to charge me well over the odds(£205)I then went to Halfords where the sales assistant was polite,helpful,friendly,fast and had my problem fixed at a fraction of what I had previously been quoted.He… Read Full Review

“Charged £7.99 for a bicycle 5 seconds job!! ”

Written on: 20/11/2014 by maialina (10 reviews written)

I went into the Friern Barnet store with my bicycle wheel and asked the bike mechanic guy to undue the hub for me since I didn't have the right tool. It took him literally 5 seconds to do it and despite I was also buying some bearings he asked me to pay a whooping £7.99 for the 5 seconds job! I couldn't believe it and because I was clearly unhappy he then charge me half of that. Still alot also considering that I was buying something from the store! Halfords won't see me again!… Read Full Review

“Charged £7.99 for a bicycle 5 seconds job!! ”

Written on: 20/11/2014 by maialina (10 reviews written)

“MOT passed but car dirtied and damaged”

Written on: 29/10/2014 by JonoClouds (1 review written)

Good: Online booking for MOT worked well. MOT was carried out at the allotted time and was ready for collection when I returned. Bad: Shame that they had scratched one of the doors and fouled the interior trim, gear stick and handbrake lever with oily dirt. Reception staff implore each customer to leave them excellent reviews. Sadly they do little to earn them. It was the cheapest MOT in the area but caring for your vehicle and keeping it clean are simple basics. They failed and it has cost… Read Full Review

“interim service”

Written on: 19/10/2014 by O'Neillzg122 (1 review written)

the service area was like a junk yard .that's when I started to worry.they did the service on my car but I had to take it back because they had overfilled the engine' I now have to take the car back to the main dealer because Halfords have not set the ecu up correctly. avoid this company like the plague.You have been warned… Read Full Review

“Failed tyre appointment”

Written on: 18/10/2014 by IamAnnoyed (1 review written)

I booked online a timed slot to have 4 tyres fitted at halfords shoreham. First time it was cancelled due to a broken tyre machine. The week after, having re-scheduled, I was told at the agreed drop of time that fitting would take several hours, that the mechanic was out and "are you going into town in the meantime sir" This place is in the middle of nowhere. Needless to say, I've taken my business elsewhere. … Read Full Review

“HAYES AUTO CENTRE: Stole items out my glove box, I...”

Written on: 18/10/2014 by Rodney230 (1 review written)

HAYES AUTO CENTRE: Stole items out my glove box, I called them when i realized and they kept saying I would need to call back later because the manager isn't there. Left my number several times for a call back. No call.. Went back there for them to deny taking anything. and surprise surprise no manager around. rude staff!! Wouldn't recommend them to anyone, not even as a last resort… Read Full Review

“OUTSTANDING SERVICE”

Written on: 17/10/2014 by GT40 (2 reviews written)

I phoned up and enquired about a car service and mot and i asked when this could be done and they could do it the same day, what excellent service My mercedes had a major service and mot done at the Charlton Branch , i have to say that they have done a superb job The overall service and staff are so polite and i would certainly recomend this company . i will certainly be using them again… Read Full Review

“IF YOU HAVE YOUR CAR REPAIRED BY HALFORDS EXPECT ON...”

Written on: 30/09/2014 by Amyh406 (1 review written)

IF YOU HAVE YOUR CAR REPAIRED BY HALFORDS EXPECT ON YOUR INVOICE A LIST OF ITEMS THAT THEY SAY THEY HAVE INSPECTED WHEN IN FACT THEY HAVE NOT... THEY GAVE MY CARS CAMBELT AN AMBER CONDITION RATING AFTER SAYING THEY HAD INSPECTED IT. THEY HAD NOT INSPECTED IT..THEY HAVE ADMITTED THAT. I WOULD GO TO A LOCAL GARAGE RATHER THAN BE CONNED INTO HALFORDS POOR AND ILLEGAL MARKETING METHODS. … Read Full Review

Edvard's Comment

Written on: 16/10/2014

That was very much my experience in February, I see things haven't changed!

I spent £300 but all they did was give me a massive list of things they claimed needed changing, which of course they could do for another £1000! New tyres,apparently three were below 1.6mm over 1/4 of the tread, so I bought a Halfords tyre gauge ( as recommended by Autoexpress) and none had tread less than 3.6mm at ANY point! I got it back with a flat battery, the service lights ( BMW type) hadn't been reset,despite me asking when I dropped it off & the washer reservoir was missing it's cap & its right next to the fuse box; but today, I note they hadn't even filled in or stamped the service book; do I assume none of the 275 service items had been done, such things as brake fluid change, spark plugs,filters & other such vital service items? Btw I had an MOT at another Halfirds 2 weeks earlier, it failed on wipers, so I asked them to replace the wipers as standard, so it passed on retest: driving home, one blade was clearly on upside down; once home I examined them & not only were they upside down and very loose, but the wring size completely; I complained to the arrogant manager who went off ' sick' ( probably so not to have to explain his incompetence & greed to me face to face!)! Give them a wide birth

“Tried to rip me off for £133 for new back box ”

Written on: 25/09/2014 by DavidinOldham (1 review written)

I have used Halfords for over 3 years for my MOT and this year took advantage of the offer for MOT and Main service. It failed the MOT as wiper frame was faulty and replaced for £180.00. Fair enough, they also told me that the catalytic converter bracket was showing signs of erosion. After a couple of weeks, the exhaust dropped down so I took it back to Halfords Oldham. They did not put it on a ramp but just grabbed the back box, wobbled it and came back into the office. The assistant then… Read Full Review

Mergo's Response to DavidinOldham's Review

Written on: 26/09/2014

You only have to look at all of the complaints against Halfords in this long list on this site and tank goodness we have this site ,had i looked at this site first i would not have gone to Halfords in the first place to my Air condition re gassed i was left with no cold air and an automated email reply saying they would look into it ,they never did ,we were told it would take 1 hour when we went back the car still had not been hooked up to the machine so we had to wait another hour the air was not all that cool but i had appointments when it failed completely i went back only to be told that the 1 man who does this is off for the day , ok then give me a gauge so i can check the pressure = sorry sir we have no gauges for that but here,s a card of a private company that we use ,so what iv got to pay someone else to put this right ? well thats service at Halfords for you! !

“Barbery top lady at kingsgate”

Written on: 24/09/2014 by Maccabaeus (1 review written)

We bought a car seat for our granddaughter & it was fitted for us With great customer service , the service was so good we took the other granny along with her car & she was so happy too we will certainly go back there… Read Full Review

Edvard's Response to Maccabaeus's Review

Written on: 16/10/2014

That's Halfords, not the Autocentres that use the Halfords name, they are effectively different companies!

“*AVOID* this is the worst garage around, should be...”

Written on: 15/09/2014 by lukeyb85 (1 review written)

Went here for an MOT they failed it for high emissions so they said its the ERG valve? They replaced it for £400 just under, got the car back had almost no power! so go back the next day they say it might be the air filter (change it), NO CHANGE! they try something else I pick it up, not only is there lack of power there is juddering. The thick mechanics forgot to put a part back on, after all this they tell me they cant be sure what the problem is as the computer equipment they have is basic… Read Full Review

Davidinoldham's Response to lukeyb85's Review

Written on: 25/09/2014

Typical Halfords ripping you off for stuff that doesn't need doing. Shameful

Mergo's Response to lukeyb85's Review

YOU MIGHT WANT TO CHECK OUT THE PRICE OF YOUR egr VALVE ON LINE
and then ask what a garage would charge to fit one !

Mergo's Response to lukeyb85's Review

Written on: 26/09/2014

Look at the long list of complaints on this site about them ,i got ripped off by them as well all i got was computer generated reply saying they would look into it they never did im 65 years old and have 2 spine operations ,diabetic but i would sooner do it my self than trust those s.h.y.s.t.e.r.s with my car or safety ,the one thing they are first class at is BS it just comes as natural to them i think they must give prizes for the best BS of the week !

DONT TRUST HALFORDS WITH YOUR CAR !

“Cwmbran”

Written on: 15/09/2014 by gjSelf500 (1 review written)

The assistant store manager in Cwmbran South Wales was really helpful had a problem previously with the lack of service but he sorted that right out for me. Shame they didn't do what I wanted however that's not there problem… Read Full Review

“Dodgy”

Written on: 14/09/2014 by Ali270 (1 review written)

First they said need £400+ before passing MOT. We said forget it we will pick up the car and do MOT somewhere else. Turn up and the car is not ready with all the wheels off. They guy says: Actually to pass the MOT you just need to fix x for £40. We asked them to fix x for the MOT. The car now seems in worse shape than it was when we gave it to them. A number of items seem like they were replaced with something older!!!! (unfortunately no proof)… Read Full Review

“quick and efficient”

Written on: 11/09/2014

After having called your store and spoken to a very helpful member of staff, they managed to establish the right colour code of the spray paint I needed for my land-rover. As this particular shade was not in your shelf it had to be mixed and this only took ten minutes. Being out of my depth it was refreshing to be able to speak to a knowledgeable staff with advice on how to apply the paint… Read Full Review

Edvard's Comment

Written on: 16/10/2014

Not 100% sure this is a genuine customer experience? If it is, you must be the only one who thinks Halfords Autocentre are anything but incompetent,money grabbing p.takers!

“dont get your air conditioning done here”

Written on: 09/09/2014 by mergo (5 reviews written)

Booked my honda in to get the air condition re gassed told it would an hour so we went off for a coffee and walk around ,came back and car was not even hooked up to the machine ,waited another hour, we paid up and drove off because we had to get back to our pet dogs,the air condition was not that cold but i decided to let it settle down being disabled with appointments and other more pressing things i left 4 months and then decided to go back ,well they started with oh the bloke that does this… Read Full Review

Davidinoldham's Response to mergo's Review

Written on: 25/09/2014

I had exactly the same problem at ATS where they took it off the machine early and aircon lasted just 2 weeks.

Mergo's Response to mergo's Review

Written on: 26/09/2014

Mergo again i just did another 50 words on this but as i went to post i was flagged up for using the the words [i.t ] and [c.o.n] as in Air Conditioning so it would not post
so that was a waste of time ,
The short one is i sent Halfords yet another email but did even get an automated reply .

This just anther outstanding example of bad customer service iv wasted my money money on shoddy service ,Halfords have weeks now to reply to this problem but they have not and are not going to by the looks of it .

Halfords use an automated machine to re gas your car it checks for any leaks first if a leak is found it will not proceed until you get the leak fixed thats common sense ,that said it then proceeds to gas it up the only thing that will cause it to run it short of gas is ,one the operator turns the machine off or lets some gas out, or the machine runs out of gas failing all of that your cars system should be gassed up , my tip is DONT GO TO HALFORDS ONCE THEY HAVE YOUR MONEY YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN !

Mergo's reply to Mergo's Comment

Written on: 02/10/2014

UP DATE
Got a letter from Halfords yesterday saying they were sorry for any inconvenience on the problem printed at the bottom it said it was from the manager of the Poole rd branch it went on to say i should phone him when i did he said he said i dont know anything about the letter but he made an appointment for me to bring the car today at 10 am i got there and they took the car in ,he updated me as to what checks he was doing as it turned out the gas was low ,he checked for leaks with a vacuum test and a UV light and said he would then re gas the system because the gas was low when he finished the re gas he even offered to let me see the pressure , when he did this he then came out and said he was checking again with the system running to make sure everything was ok and ir was the air conditioning was cold as it should be .
As for the letter it appears that head office generate these and send them out computer signed as the manager ,who knows nothing about it .

“expensive”

Written on: 03/09/2014 by MoriahLyons (1 review written)

i got quote for mot and fuel service,realised i needed major service with mot,got call to say major issues with car which were all explained in detail,then shown quotes for each job,i nearly fainted,suspension arm bushes £681.00,wheel alignment £29.00,number plate bulb £3.99,front wipers £17.98,front to rear brake pipes £320.00,it was all going to cost me nearly £2000.00,i bought all parts (2x rolls brake pipes,2 x front discs,1 xset window wipers,reg bulb free,2 x front bushes.total… Read Full Review

Mergo's Comment

mergo
before going to places like Halfords to get the done on your car,get on your computer and check out the cost of the parts on ebay and places like Euro parts
its easy enough , i got a quote from Kwick fit for half of my exhaust they wanted £265 for my Honda Accord ,i went down to the good ole boys garage near me for the MOT where they failed the exhaust and said give me a price for it ,they came back with £160 supply and fit with no charge for the retest ,cost of the mot its self =£40 , if i was younger im 65 i would have done it my self but i would soone rpay the local boys to do the job !

“Am I paranoid?”

Written on: 03/09/2014 by Samirg374 (1 review written)

I booked my car's MOT on-line so I could benefit from the discount. When I took my car to the centre it was running well. I have had no problems at all. When I went to collect my car it had passed the MOT. Advisories were new front tyres needed fairly soon - fair enough. The fuel injection was possibly leaking, to be certain my car would need to be booked in to diagnose it. Apparently the engine was making a tapping noise. Since having the MOT my car is not running properly. It sometimes loses… Read Full Review

Mergo's Comment

Written on: 26/09/2014

In a word no there are some places that will blind you with science and baffle you with bs and then cause a problem that they will then offer to fix for a fat fee ,always get a second opinion ,and always go onto you tube and and put in your model and problem you will find lots of vids on problems with your model and how to fix it there is a lot of help with vehicle problems out there !

“Major Service and MOT Finchely Central London”

Written on: 02/09/2014 by Camden4u (1 review written)

Skoda Fabia Greenline 2 IM upgrade oil and fuel cleaner cost £39.99 (usually £70) the trouble I have with this is that the car I drive uses synthetic oil. I am not sure if I needed this upgrade? Sold wipers at £14.99 each, the ones on the car passed the MOT so why did I end up paying £29.98 for wipers that I could have sourced myself, at £20 less? Front brake pads apparently worn to 8mm? Shown on invoice as AMBER condition wise. Skoda replaced those pads at my last service??? Front… Read Full Review

“expensive”

Written on: 01/09/2014 by johnbhoy1239 (1 review written)