Halfords Reviews

Halfords - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Halfords

Halfords

“Tried to rip me off for £133 for new back box ”

Written on: 25/09/2014 by DavidinOldham (1 review written)

I have used Halfords for over 3 years for my MOT and this year took advantage of the offer for MOT and Main service. It failed the MOT as wiper frame was faulty and replaced for £180.00. Fair enough, they also told me that the catalytic converter bracket was showing signs of erosion. After a couple of weeks, the exhaust dropped down so I took it back to Halfords Oldham. They did not put it on a ramp but just grabbed the back box, wobbled it and came back into the office. The assistant then… Read Full Review

Mergo's Response to DavidinOldham's Review

Written on: 26/09/2014

You only have to look at all of the complaints against Halfords in this long list on this site and tank goodness we have this site ,had i looked at this site first i would not have gone to Halfords in the first place to my Air condition re gassed i was left with no cold air and an automated email reply saying they would look into it ,they never did ,we were told it would take 1 hour when we went back the car still had not been hooked up to the machine so we had to wait another hour the air was not all that cool but i had appointments when it failed completely i went back only to be told that the 1 man who does this is off for the day , ok then give me a gauge so i can check the pressure = sorry sir we have no gauges for that but here,s a card of a private company that we use ,so what iv got to pay someone else to put this right ? well thats service at Halfords for you! !

“Barbery top lady at kingsgate”

Written on: 24/09/2014 by Maccabaeus (1 review written)

We bought a car seat for our granddaughter & it was fitted for us With great customer service , the service was so good we took the other granny along with her car & she was so happy too we will certainly go back there… Read Full Review

“*AVOID* this is the worst garage around, should be...”

Written on: 15/09/2014 by lukeyb85 (1 review written)

Went here for an MOT they failed it for high emissions so they said its the ERG valve? They replaced it for £400 just under, got the car back had almost no power! so go back the next day they say it might be the air filter (change it), NO CHANGE! they try something else I pick it up, not only is there lack of power there is juddering. The thick mechanics forgot to put a part back on, after all this they tell me they cant be sure what the problem is as the computer equipment they have is basic… Read Full Review

Davidinoldham's Response to lukeyb85's Review

Written on: 25/09/2014

Typical Halfords ripping you off for stuff that doesn't need doing. Shameful

Mergo's Response to lukeyb85's Review

YOU MIGHT WANT TO CHECK OUT THE PRICE OF YOUR egr VALVE ON LINE
and then ask what a garage would charge to fit one !

Mergo's Response to lukeyb85's Review

Written on: 26/09/2014

Look at the long list of complaints on this site about them ,i got ripped off by them as well all i got was computer generated reply saying they would look into it they never did im 65 years old and have 2 spine operations ,diabetic but i would sooner do it my self than trust those s.h.y.s.t.e.r.s with my car or safety ,the one thing they are first class at is BS it just comes as natural to them i think they must give prizes for the best BS of the week !

DONT TRUST HALFORDS WITH YOUR CAR !

“Cwmbran”

Written on: 15/09/2014 by gjSelf500 (1 review written)

The assistant store manager in Cwmbran South Wales was really helpful had a problem previously with the lack of service but he sorted that right out for me. Shame they didn't do what I wanted however that's not there problem… Read Full Review

“Dodgy”

Written on: 14/09/2014 by Ali270 (1 review written)

First they said need £400+ before passing MOT. We said forget it we will pick up the car and do MOT somewhere else. Turn up and the car is not ready with all the wheels off. They guy says: Actually to pass the MOT you just need to fix x for £40. We asked them to fix x for the MOT. The car now seems in worse shape than it was when we gave it to them. A number of items seem like they were replaced with something older!!!! (unfortunately no proof)… Read Full Review

“quick and efficient”

Written on: 11/09/2014

After having called your store and spoken to a very helpful member of staff, they managed to establish the right colour code of the spray paint I needed for my land-rover. As this particular shade was not in your shelf it had to be mixed and this only took ten minutes. Being out of my depth it was refreshing to be able to speak to a knowledgeable staff with advice on how to apply the paint… Read Full Review

“dont get your air conditioning done here”

Written on: 09/09/2014 by mergo (3 reviews written)

Booked my honda in to get the air condition re gassed told it would an hour so we went off for a coffee and walk around ,came back and car was not even hooked up to the machine ,waited another hour, we paid up and drove off because we had to get back to our pet dogs,the air condition was not that cold but i decided to let it settle down being disabled with appointments and other more pressing things i left 4 months and then decided to go back ,well they started with oh the bloke that does this… Read Full Review

Davidinoldham's Response to mergo's Review

Written on: 25/09/2014

I had exactly the same problem at ATS where they took it off the machine early and aircon lasted just 2 weeks.

Mergo's Response to mergo's Review

Written on: 26/09/2014

Mergo again i just did another 50 words on this but as i went to post i was flagged up for using the the words [i.t ] and [c.o.n] as in Air Conditioning so it would not post
so that was a waste of time ,
The short one is i sent Halfords yet another email but did even get an automated reply .

This just anther outstanding example of bad customer service iv wasted my money money on shoddy service ,Halfords have weeks now to reply to this problem but they have not and are not going to by the looks of it .

Halfords use an automated machine to re gas your car it checks for any leaks first if a leak is found it will not proceed until you get the leak fixed thats common sense ,that said it then proceeds to gas it up the only thing that will cause it to run it short of gas is ,one the operator turns the machine off or lets some gas out, or the machine runs out of gas failing all of that your cars system should be gassed up , my tip is DONT GO TO HALFORDS ONCE THEY HAVE YOUR MONEY YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN !

“expensive”

Written on: 03/09/2014 by MoriahLyons (1 review written)

i got quote for mot and fuel service,realised i needed major service with mot,got call to say major issues with car which were all explained in detail,then shown quotes for each job,i nearly fainted,suspension arm bushes £681.00,wheel alignment £29.00,number plate bulb £3.99,front wipers £17.98,front to rear brake pipes £320.00,it was all going to cost me nearly £2000.00,i bought all parts (2x rolls brake pipes,2 x front discs,1 xset window wipers,reg bulb free,2 x front bushes.total… Read Full Review

mergo
before going to places like Halfords to get the done on your car,get on your computer and check out the cost of the parts on ebay and places like Euro parts
its easy enough , i got a quote from Kwick fit for half of my exhaust they wanted £265 for my Honda Accord ,i went down to the good ole boys garage near me for the MOT where they failed the exhaust and said give me a price for it ,they came back with £160 supply and fit with no charge for the retest ,cost of the mot its self =£40 , if i was younger im 65 i would have done it my self but i would soone rpay the local boys to do the job !

“Am I paranoid?”

Written on: 03/09/2014 by Samirg374 (1 review written)

I booked my car's MOT on-line so I could benefit from the discount. When I took my car to the centre it was running well. I have had no problems at all. When I went to collect my car it had passed the MOT. Advisories were new front tyres needed fairly soon - fair enough. The fuel injection was possibly leaking, to be certain my car would need to be booked in to diagnose it. Apparently the engine was making a tapping noise. Since having the MOT my car is not running properly. It sometimes loses… Read Full Review

Written on: 26/09/2014

In a word no there are some places that will blind you with science and baffle you with bs and then cause a problem that they will then offer to fix for a fat fee ,always get a second opinion ,and always go onto you tube and and put in your model and problem you will find lots of vids on problems with your model and how to fix it there is a lot of help with vehicle problems out there !

“Major Service and MOT Finchely Central London”

Written on: 02/09/2014 by Camden4u (1 review written)

Skoda Fabia Greenline 2 IM upgrade oil and fuel cleaner cost £39.99 (usually £70) the trouble I have with this is that the car I drive uses synthetic oil. I am not sure if I needed this upgrade? Sold wipers at £14.99 each, the ones on the car passed the MOT so why did I end up paying £29.98 for wipers that I could have sourced myself, at £20 less? Front brake pads apparently worn to 8mm? Shown on invoice as AMBER condition wise. Skoda replaced those pads at my last service??? Front… Read Full Review

“*** DO NOT USE THESE JOKERS *** AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL”

Written on: 26/08/2014 by ngByrne79 (1 review written)

Despite online booking for 4 premium tyres pushing £500, confirmed via email, payment taken promptly, and a back-up call to the autocentre in question, they still maanged to mess up my order meaning when I arrived Sat morning, having scheduled my day around this visit, they had no info on my booking and no tyres. Further, the service was just awful - no apology. They manager there had the nerve to imply they had received no call from me all week, until I showed him my call history on my… Read Full Review

Written on: 26/09/2014

Yes problem is we dont find how bad things are till we go there , i wont be be going there ever again after they messed up on my air conditioning all i got was an automated email saying they would look into it or the manager at my local depot would give me a call NONE OF THAT EVER HAPPENED and even if he did call i would not trust them to put it right ,iv written off the money and put it down to a very bad experience compiled with Halfords own special brand of BS when they try to explain how its all gone wrong !

DONT GO TO HALFORDS UNLESS YOU WANT EVEN MORE PROBLEMS !

“worst time waster rude fake”

Written on: 25/08/2014 by 221Kelly (1 review written)

hello dear hr i want to tell you my history about your woking poole road store service.first of i am your existing customer last two years my car did pass mot last time from here.anyway last week my engine managment light show off thats why i booked a appointment for diagnostic check in 18th of august monday so then i went that day and after checking they said its about catalytec converter i have to change it and then they give me a quatetion which is 235 pound i got the paper as well. and i… Read Full Review

Written on: 26/09/2014

Dream on all i got was load of BS when i went back to complain that Air conditioning was not working after they re gassed it so i emailed their head office and got an automated reply and that was that iv written it all off as me being to stupid to take it there in the first place ,if they did ever phone me up to go back i would not for fear of them breaking something else !

Check out the price of your converter on line and then ask a local garage what it costs to fit it , halfords make a lot of money out of scrap cat converters anyway

If you need something done either do it your self or go to a local garage i use Hamworthy MOT center if i cant or dont want do it i take it there those ole boys do a good deal !
DONT EVER GO TO HALFORDS THEY JUST RIP YOU OFF you only have to look at all of the complaints on this site to see that !

“Wrong tyres, 1 hour booking took 4.5 hours, AND...”

Written on: 22/08/2014 by Peterr1000 (1 review written)

On the Halfords website it makes the bold statement: "Book online today and you will get Trust, Expertise, Price Guarantee, Quality Guarantee as standard." I beg to differ. I booked & paid on-line, two weeks in advance. I ordered Bridgestone tyres. I delivered my car for the 1 hour appointment & was called 40 minutes later to say only Goodyears were available & that even though they "were more expensive" they would honour the original price. They also advised one of my rear tyres had deep… Read Full Review

Mergo's Response to Peterr1000's Review

Written on: 26/09/2014

Well im still waiting for them to call me back ITS BEEN A MONTH NOW !

iv written off money spent at Halfords and if they even offered to fix it i would not go back there HALFORDS = non existent customer service ,they do however offer being rude and loads of BS !

I put it down to a bad experience and fix the car my self !
DONT EVER USE HALFORDS ITS A RIP OFF look at the nature of all of the complaints they have against them!!!!

“Air conditioning fix on my audi a4”

Written on: 20/08/2014 by Jamesh7143 (1 review written)

My air conditioning wasn't blowing nice cold air so took my vehicle to my local halfords in cardiff. I was served by an employee named Curtis. He was very polite and helpful. He re gassed my air com system promptly, to which he found a small leak in the system. He explained , that they also could repair the problem by using a can of stop leak. He checked stock but they had none in the store. Curtis then looked on the computer system and located the required item at another store locally and… Read Full Review

“Don't go there”

Written on: 19/08/2014 by Lizardman (1 review written)

I had a service 7weeks before my mot When I went there for mot they failed it because they said I my car was smokeless engine was noise the co was hight remember I all ready had a service could not believe it I went mad saying it could be my cat sender I complained about this aim going to see about this they said come back the next day for a re test funny I did and it pass … Read Full Review

“Friendly, helpful, and on time.”

Written on: 19/08/2014 by Dalrymple1952 (1 review written)

Excellent service. They explained what needed doing, split it into two trips as I couldn't afford it in one go, and the work was done efficiently and well. Will be coming back… Read Full Review

“Great Service, would highly recommend”

Written on: 18/08/2014 by BenBulluk (1 review written)

Half price service for £200, i know my car needed quite a bit doing, booked the car in for a 1pm service, was told 4 hours. 2 hrs later i was phoned and told i needed quite a bit doing, 2 new tyres, new oil sump, exhaust repair, light bulb replacement , new brake pads and discs, new oil filter and a few other bits, umm'd and errrr'd and said if it needed doing to get it done. they said they would keep the price down and they did. all in all it cost £540, and after checking with a garage… Read Full Review

“They charge little for MOT but they defently fail ur car”

Written on: 17/08/2014 by Flanagan266 (1 review written)

They charge u little for MOT and then they fail you and get money out of you this way. Acton brunch such bad customer service I hope watchdog look Into this. Best regards … Read Full Review

“Ripping of your money in the name of gaurentee”

Written on: 16/08/2014 by LamontWoodard (1 review written)

I was tempted by Halfords discount offer by marketing call. I had mot+service booked at Ilford service centre on Saturday at 8:30am. They called me at 1:00pm and informed me that the Engine oil sump bolt thread is broken (they blamed it on earlier service carried out side halfords) and the entire unit need to be replaced and they can carry out the repair on Monday only. I need the car on Monday since I already planned my trip. I was bit desperate to get it done on same day. I checked other… Read Full Review

“upselling unnecessary repairs”

Written on: 13/08/2014 by paulshwk (4 reviews written)

My wives car recently had a service and MOT at Halfords. To cut a long story short they came up with a list of things that they "highly recommended" she got fixed, and gave her a price. Things included...rusty road springs (yes those quarter inch thick springs apparently needed changing for some surface rust!) and amongst other items a tyre that was 1mm above the legal limit. Ok, the tyre fair enough. She took the car the next day to our local ATS who said the tyre had 4mm of tread and… Read Full Review

Farabet's Response to paulshwk's Review

Written on: 14/08/2014

avoid indeed!!
I past my MOT the last 11/08/2014. Both front spring coils + offside front anti-roll bar equals £386.11. I did trust them and paid for the repair. When I arrived home did a bit of research and call another Halford Autocentre garage and got a quotation of £269.14. I said to customer service to give me a response about the different prices and to avoid telling me that second garage made an error as I provided all the correct details about my car.
Customer support did call both of them and the result was wrong quotation by the second garage which it is only 2 miles apart. Obviously, I do not trust them any longer and will not recommend them. I also check quotation with another local garage who quoted £200 for the same job. Please, avoid Halford Autocentres.

Paulshwk's reply to Farabet's Comment

Written on: 14/08/2014

Well, I've upset the 'customer services' guy on the Halfords website. He was asking for me to take the car back in so that they could measure the tyres again. I obviously said no, because not only have ATS checked them but I've check as well and the depth is 4mm not 2.5mm. Anyway, I said that I had told Halfords about the issue, I wouldn't be going back, and that I didn't care if they take any action or not. The end result was a short email from them saying sorry they could help and they would remove me from their database!! Well, that's fine as it saves me having to ask them to do that. However, what terrible customer service. If the company I work for took that attitude I'm sure the person who said it would be in serious trouble.