This is England Reviews

From 1 review

This is England - Ask a question now

This is England

“This is Shane Meadows new project set in the early...”

Written on: 16/05/2007 by affleck (6 reviews written)

This is Shane Meadows new project set in the early 80's, during the time of the Falklands Conflict.
It is about a 12-year-old boy, Shaun played by the excellent Thomas Turgoose, who recently suffered a tragic loss and is bullied by older children at his school. He has anxieties about fitting in and subsequently is alienated more because of this.
It's the end of term, and Shaun has a chance encounter with a bunch of Skinheads, all around 17 to 20 years old. One of the boys, Woody, takes pity… Read Full Review

252776_Anonymous101's Response to affleck's Review

Written on: 17/05/2007

Sounds Great! Good to have another Teessider aboard

Affleck's Response to affleck's Review

Written on: 03/12/2007

Thanks Max, I appreciate your comments.
<br/>I also watched this film on the strength of Dead Mans Shoes
<br/>(I loved “Dead Mans Shoes” and so was equally excited about seeing Shane Meadows new masterpiece. But please don’t go to watch this film if you are looking for a pacey action filled film, its not. It is a peek into 6 weeks of a 12-year-old boy’s life and the action labours at times and although there is no real plot line it still makes you feel that you have just watched a most satisfying film. )
<br/>
<br/>This site is about opinions and if we all liked the same films and had the same views it would be quite boring but I agree with some of your points. The script was strained at times and I felt myself wondering where the film was going.
<br/>
<br/>I enjoyed the film, especially Stephen Graham I hope you enjoy my next review

Max Cady's Response to affleck's Review

Written on: 02/12/2007

I can't say I agree or disagree with this review, it does describe the film very well but for me after watching the hugely impressive 'Dead man's shoes' I was expecting a bit more from this film. I can't say the acting had me wanting to know more or caring for any of the characters and the script seemed fairly watered down and eventually just runs out of steam.<br/><br/> The end scene with the flag is what you should do with the DVD.

252776_Anonymous101's Response to affleck's Review

Written on: 21/05/2007

A few boro males on this thread
<br/>http://www.reviewcentre.com/vt_pid165886.html

Affleck's Response to affleck's Review

Written on: 18/05/2007

I am glad you liked the review, thanks for the comments.
<br/>See this film you will be poorer for not doing so
<br/>Now then micky I was beginning to think I was up here on my own.

121503_John's Response to affleck's Review

Written on: 17/05/2007

This Is England - This Is Amazing! Alright Micky, i was gonna write a review of this film but wouldn't have done much more than reiterating what affleck said, couldn't agree more mate. An excellent film that i feel everyone should see.