Stihl MS 260 Reviews

Stihl MS 260 - Ask a question now

“Excellent quality unit”

Written on: 12/01/2012 by jack_paine (3 reviews written)

A brilliant device, excellent quality unit, a lot quieter and good to handle and work with plenty of power. We are using this machine for our firewood business and the Sthil has never let us down, we have never had to be repair it in the past 2 years that we have used it. Would recommend Sthil equipment for heavy users as its reliable and cheap to maintain if well looked after… Read Full Review

Stihl MS 260

“DON'T BUY STIHL PRODUCTS!!!”

Written on: 25/12/2011

I own three Stihl products including a MS260 and NONE of them run correctly. I have had THREE new carborators installed on every one of them and they still don't run right. I only use Stihl authorized dealers and Stihl products in them so don't let them tell you that's the problem. Every time I try to use on of them it costs me $100 and they spend a week in the shop. Stihl is producing a horrible products and I will NEVER own another one… Read Full Review

Guest's Comment

Written on: 27/12/2011

Since STIHL is the #1 selling saw, have you considered that maybe you have a problem with your fuel? It is kind of ironic that ALL of your products have the SAME problem!! Just a FYI.

Hambo44's Comment

Written on: 27/10/2012

Well seeing as I am a professional and ONLY use Stihl tools, I know for sure that you haven't looked after your machine. I have a ms260 and use it every day, clean and sharpen it every day as well, and I have never had a problem with it. I think that it must be the way you treat your kit.

Lone7Eagle's Comment

Written on: 31/01/2012

The other guest comments, QUOTE "Since STIHL is the #1 selling saw, have you considered that maybe you have a problem with your fuel? It is kind of ironic that ALL of your products have the SAME problem!! Just a FYI" UNQUOTE does have merit but also consider the brand of oil mix and it's ratio to fuel.
I personally wanted to add this: My brother inlaw was swaying your way but that changed with some insight I gave him on stihls. Since I started pulping in the 70's and used nothing but stihls I listened to my downhome dealer. Remember two things, ONE: its better to have them smoke a little from a strong mixture than to be too lean AND he also advised us later when stihls came out with the spark arrester ( a screen in the muffler)to keep it clean. TWO: AND MOST IMPORTANT: All the stihls I've had all seem to start the same way and if you don't follow the first step you will flood it and have to dry out the plug. To start a stihl like I have for better than 25 years, you of course put it in full choke only when cold, pull start ONCE and you should get an attempt to start or pop as we call it, NOW switch it to half choke if it has it or off choke but start position yet (I don't know if all models have half choke? NOW pull start the 2cond time and it should start, a bit rough but let it warm itself up and don't be in a hurry to give it throttle and when you do, little short burst. Also note which falls in the other guest comments, if you change mix brands or ratios, you may have to tweek the carb just a bit. In my 25 years plus I've had or do have the stihl 031 032 045 super 660 and now a 260 pro and none have never gave me trouble, bought my bar oil in 30 gallon drums which is difficult to find now, sharpened blades in the field since we cut on average 80 trees every 2.5 hours (cut+delimbed+cut every 8' piled and slash cut) which takes one damn dependable saw. SO, it's not the saw and it's not you, my guess it may be the fuel mix and especially the way you start a stihl, my brother inlaw has no problems now but he did have to run his dry since he does not use it often enough to keep the carb from varnishing!!! If you have longer than a week of none use, be sure to empty the gas tank and start up the saw to burn the fuel in the sytem letting it run until it dies on it's own from lack of fuel. It only takes a week for fuel with mix to spoil anymore or to varnish up your carb.

Finemeat's Comment

Written on: 08/10/2013

Thank You Sir!

Stihl MS 260

“Since passing my Certificate of competence for...”

Written on: 25/12/2010

Since passing my Certificate of competence for chainsaws in 2007, I have not used any other saws apart from Stihl. I find them simply the best for the job! I have used a MS200, 036, MS 361 and now a MS 260. For me the 260 is a brilliant ground saw as I have used one solidly everyday over the last winter and also over this winter too. I have had very little fail on me and is more than capable power wise for felling small trees. To date the only thing that broke is the front chain break spring… Read Full Review

Stihl MS 260

“I just purchased a Stihl 260 after owning a Stihl 034...”

Written on: 20/10/2010

I just purchased a Stihl 260 after owning a Stihl 034 for 25 years. The 034 was an exceptional saw for me and cut 12 cords of wood a year for me.
I made the mistake of loaning to a neighbor and he forgot or did not mix
oil with the gas and burnt it out. With apprehension I did not know whether the new 260 would fill the void. I was pleasantly surprised after
using for 4 1/2 hours on some pretty big trees. It cut through ash trees like butter. The gas and oil caps were a little frustating… Read Full Review

Stihl MS 260

“ I have worked with chain saws for over 20 years as my...”

Written on: 23/09/2010

I have worked with chain saws for over 20 years as my main occupation. I bought a MS260 as the work I was doing didn't require the larger saws I was used to. It was great at first as the smaller size and less weight made my work much easier. I was cutting trees about two to three inches, clearing around smaller planted trees. I realize that doing this all day might be hard on a saw but my larger ones never had any problem doing the same sort of work with much larger trees, up to ten inches, so… Read Full Review

Stihl MS 260

“The stihl is an excellent chainsaw (when used and...”

Written on: 22/01/2010 by woofers46 (1 review written)

The stihl is an excellent chainsaw (when used and serviced correctly)
I have had it three years and took on jobs that were far bigger than it should have been used for. I have now had it serviced and a new clutch fitted. I have put a deposit on the MS390 which I will use for large trees.

Stihl MS 260

“What can I say, this is a nice little saw. Of four...”

Written on: 31/12/2009 by TreeSurgeon (1 review written)

What can I say, this is a nice little saw. Of four saws that I own, this is one of my favorite saws. (I have a MS192, 246XP, 260 and 372XP).

It is a dependable saw, works every time and does all that is required from it.

If it ever does die, I would buy another. If looking for a smaller saw, do not hesitate. If you take care of it, it will take care of you… Read Full Review

Woodcutter's Response to TreeSurgeon's Review

Written on: 31/12/2009

I found this review helpful because provided good input. Could have been more information on why it was good, what worked well, what was liked.. and negative areas. But good for input, if not brief.

Stihl MS 260

“I am not, nor ever have been an employee of Stihl or...”

Written on: 30/12/2009 by death2spam (1 review written)

I am not, nor ever have been an employee of Stihl or any other company.

I love this saw because of the reliability, wieght, service and support. It is not my first Stihl, but it may just outlast me. They are one tough saw. I also own and abuse a MS192CE, and both saws punch way above their weight. We live in the country, and there are 4 service centres within 30 minutes. The MS260 drops and junks up 15-20" softwood trees day after day, and makes short work out of 10-15" hardwood. East to… Read Full Review

Death2Spam's Response to death2spam's Review

Written on: 30/12/2009

Just for clarification, my review was for the MS260 PRO model, not the MS260. Sorry for any confusion.

Woodcutter's Response to death2spam's Review

Written on: 31/12/2009

I found this review very helpful because was to the point, and provided a good basis upon which to build a decision.

Stihl MS 260

“This is one of the best saws available today, and has...”

Written on: 30/12/2009 by Woodcutter (1 review written)

This is one of the best saws available today, and has been for a long time.

The MS260, previously known as the 026 has been in the Stihl lineup for 20 years, and is one of their best selling saws.

Why is it best selling, why have they kept it around so long, because it works. Same reason that Coke does not mess with their beverage recipe.

It is a small, dependable, lightweight powerhouse used daily by tree professionals world wide. We have three of them (one is actually a 026), and run… Read Full Review

Stihl MS 260

“We use several saws in daily use (as an Arborist). We...”

Written on: 29/12/2009 by Treeclimber57 (8 reviews written)

We use several saws in daily use (as an Arborist). We have primarly saws from Husqvarna and Stihl, with a few Echo's in the mix.

We run Stihl's from the 200T up to the MS660 (we used to have 2 X MS880's and years ago had an 090 as well) However this is about the smaller end of the lineup.

The 026 and newer MS260 is an excellent saw with power to weight ratio, and one you can run all day long, every day of the week. Like any saw, they do require some care and maintenance, but nothing… Read Full Review

Woodcutter's Response to Treeclimber57's Review

Written on: 30/12/2009

I found this review very helpful because it is accurate, and well stated.
<br/>
<br/>One of the best resale value saws available.
<br/>
<br/>Check eBay.. you will find the MS260, MS360/1 and MS440/1 hold the best value by far. In fact for holding resale value no other saw compares or comes close to Stihl.
<br/>
<br/>Other good saws out there, yes by all means. But none hold value as good.
<br/>
<br/>But once you own one, do you think you would want to sell it? Not likely.

Urban Arborist's Response to Treeclimber57's Review

Written on: 22/06/2010

Good review. The fact other stihl saws were mentioned makes the review more credible. In comparison to a Husky fan who might rant on about how bad the 260 is yet clearly has never used one. By the way, you mentioned you had an 090. You still got it? Those things are a collectable it seems.

Stihl MS 260

“bought my stihl ms in 2002 for $canadian 655.45 ...”

Written on: 10/06/2009 by wonka41 (1 review written)

bought my stihl ms in 2002 for $canadian 655.45 worked maybe 20 hrs then probs. like prev mentioned, spark plug wire broke. which gives an intermittent start no start. oh and they dont just sell the plug cable, need to buy coil +
then a carb rebuild.

when it works it works great, nice balance with a 16" bar.
thanks for the info on the oil hole, will keep it clear with compressed air. i always do check to make sure the bar is throwing a bit of oil, before cutting… Read Full Review

291866_Pleasant's Response to wonka41's Review

Written on: 10/06/2009

Hmmmm.....the ignition module with lead or "coil" as you refer to it, actually has a lifetime warranty provided you are the original purchaser of the saw. Therefore the module and lead replacement shouldn't be so much of an issue.

Wonka41's Response to wonka41's Review

Written on: 11/06/2009

thanks so much for your comment 'pleasant'. I had jerry rigged the spark plug wire with another plug wire and soldered it together to get the saw running again. <br/><br/>just called the dealer yesterday for a replacement wire, and was told i'd need a coil module. waiting for him to call me back today.<br/><br/>no mention of the warranty. and there is no mention of the lifetime ignition warranty in the stihl owner's manual either :-( However, I had the original sales flyer and true enough, it states the warranty. <br/><br/>will bring up this warranty with the dealer.<br/>

Stihl MS 260

“This is a great little saw very handy and capable. To...”

Written on: 24/12/2008

This is a great little saw very handy and capable. To the people putting 20"! bars on them you are not too clever. if you need a bigger saw buy a bigger saw a 20" bar is way to much for these i run a 14'' and i feel that is perfect. i have a 066 with a 25" and if i need a mates got a 880 with a 3ft but i have never yet needed it. i agree that it is overpriced but so are many others. overall not a bad saw at all. touch wood, i have had no probs yet… Read Full Review

Woodcutter's Comment

Written on: 30/12/2009

Good review. Sounds like some experience speaking here!! Thanks.

Stihl MS 260

“The Stihl MS 260 is an excellent saw for me. I see...”

Written on: 12/11/2008 by dennis88 (1 review written)

The Stihl MS 260 is an excellent saw for me. I see others have had problems, but this may be due to a higher failure rate at the factory than other saws. Everyone in my area who uses Stihl chainsaws raves about how well they work… Read Full Review

Stihl MS 260

“my Stihl MS 260 does alot of work, I'm a tree surgeon...”

Written on: 06/11/2008

my Stihl MS 260 does alot of work, I'm a tree surgeon and it usually only cuts branches up and light work. Also reliable and recommend it to someone for smallish jobs… Read Full Review

Stihl MS 260

“My Stihl MS 260 cuts great as always learn to keep...”

Written on: 30/10/2008

My Stihl MS 260 cuts great as always learn to keep your chains sharp.usaually sold with a 16"'blade try a 20"it works great.i have had it for 2 years not one problem at all.Have cut alongside bigger huskys,without taking a backseat.i have only replaced the filter in this time period.And i still have the same 2 chains that came with the saw… Read Full Review

Stihl MS 260

“the Stihl MS 260 is a fantastic saw,im a forrester and...”

Written on: 18/10/2008 by mr chainsaw78 (1 review written)

the Stihl MS 260 is a fantastic saw,im a forrester and have lots of big saws but this is the best for limbing and smaller stuff,wouldnt be without it!… Read Full Review

Stihl MS 260

“I've owned this saw for 3 years now and have used it...”

Written on: 13/08/2008

I've owned this saw for 3 years now and have used it mostly for cutting firewood. It has never given my any trouble at all. It chews through hardwood all day without complaining… Read Full Review

John Aaron's Comment

Written on: 01/12/2009

it will cut 1 to 2 cord than it will need fixed. it is made cheap made to brake down. oiler will not work. your handle will fall off. junk i will never buy over priced stihl junk again. stil got me once never again

☆☆☆☆☆
Stihl MS 260

“First engine lasted less than 10 hours. 400 euros...”

Written on: 06/08/2008 by iandlv (1 review written)

First engine lasted less than 10 hours. 400 euros later second engin lasted less than 4 hours. Stihl service policy seems to be the customer is wrong. I cannot find a way of buying the parts do do the job myself.
Unable to find a better alternative at this time… Read Full Review

☆☆☆☆☆
Stihl MS 260

“Progressed from old 026's which were excellent. Bought...”

Written on: 24/06/2008

Progressed from old 026's which were excellent. Bought this new and have found it the biggest pile of rubbish i have ever owned. Own a jonsered and a husqvarna which are both 25+ years old and find them more reliable. It has now packed in again with a fueling problem and can't be bothered to look at it again. Will never buy a stihl again as friends are having various stihl problems too… Read Full Review

Stihl MS 260

“Excellant saw for the purpose designed. Good power to...”

Written on: 20/05/2008

Excellant saw for the purpose designed. Good power to weight ratio.No problems at all with this saw to date. I think if you use the correct fuel/oil ratio-clean fresh fuel -your probs will be negated… Read Full Review