Jeep Cherokee 2.5 CRD Reviews

• Performance

• Practicality

• Reliability

Summary

Otherwise known as the Jeep Liberty, the Jeep Cherokee is a compact SUV, front engined with both rear wheel and four wheel drive options.
Jeep Cherokee 2.5 CRD - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Jeep Cherokee 2.5 CRD

“NOT STARTING”

Written on: 21/03/2014 by SIRKELM (1 review written)

I BOUGHT A 2002 JEEP CHEROKEE SPORT 2.5 CRD AS A NON RUNNER AT A AUCTION ,THE ENGINE TURNS BUT DOESNT WANT TO START MAYBE A COMMON PROBLEM ANY BODY NEED SOME ADVISE AND HELP PLEASE… Read Full Review

“comfortable , practical 4x4 ”

Written on: 09/07/2012 by sighs (1 review written)

owned mine now for a while , bought it from a small garage and it came with service history which reports very little problems in its entire life. its been used for towing caravens etc and came fitted with attachments for such like. engine is to some people a bit noisy but i actually like the noise it makes, its reassuringly grunty on take off, and settles down to a good sound when driven on open roads. instruments are clear ans well set out but the display above the drivers head could do with… Read Full Review

“Cherokee CRD Sport 2.5”

Written on: 26/02/2012

Bought my Jeep in 2004 with 8000 miles.Do my own servicing.Costly on school runs(short runs),good on long runs.Had no problems at all other then normal wear(brake pads,tyres,timing belt renewed)Ideal for disabled pensioner to get in and out(My Wife)side bar fitted.Best car I ever owned… Read Full Review

“JEEP CRD 2.5”

Written on: 01/12/2011 by mikeD12 (1 review written)

POOR! VERY POOR NOT EVEN AS GOOD AT TOWING AS MY 2004 FREELANDER TD4, ITS SLOW SHAKY, BAD ON FUEL, IT ALSO FEELS LIKE YOU ARE GOING TO TIP OVER AROUND A CORNER, I BOUGHT THIS CAR FOR MY WIFE AS SHE LIKED IT BUT I HAVE SOLD IT NOW AND SHE HAD THE FREELANDER I NOW HAVE A DISCOBERY 3- AV PROPER 4X4, I SPENT SHED LOADS ON TRYING TO GET IT RIGHT BUT IN THE END I JUST HAD TO GET RID OF IT TO BE HONEST I WOULD HAVE TAKEN A DONKEY INSTEAD OF IT AT LEAST IT WAKES UP (JEEP TOOK AGES TO START) I LIVE IN… Read Full Review

Davey2000's Response to mikeD12's Review

Written on: 28/04/2013

I had a Discovery 300TDi that was terrible! It turned out in the end that some clown had fitted a new timing belt and had got the timing out. The valves had made dents in the pistons and it was a slug. Once fixed with new pistons, new head and valves, new uprated radiator and new timing belt kit it was excellent.

Had someone fitted a new belt to your truck? There are a LOT of cack-handed mechanics around these days.

“No problems at all,but heavy on tyres”

Written on: 28/04/2010

No problems at all,but heavy on tyres… Read Full Review

“bought a brand new cherokee on new years eve when the...”

Written on: 06/03/2010

bought a brand new cherokee on new years eve when the bad weather started, this car is fantastic in bad weather ,never a problem. i have had a range rover before which was great but fell to bits eventaully and for me the jeep compares really well, apart from the latest RR which is for a pecieved lifestyle not for offroad. looks- i love the look of this car, far better than the previous model. comfort, superb leather and better back support than my jaguar, plenty of seat options. power - plenty… Read Full Review

“I bought this fantastic car about 18 months ago, i...”

Written on: 28/12/2009

I bought this fantastic car about 18 months ago, i love it! i also brought a 2 ton caravan at the same time, the jeep pulls like a tank,up and down the hills of wales this car handels and pulls brilliantly, leaveing my sister, in her landrover freelander standing,i here people sayin they r unreliable, but so far iv had no trouble, the interia and exteria is just nice,i was also very surprised with the mpg, more than i exspected, 33 two 35 a gallon, wich is better than my old car, a hyundi… Read Full Review

Bram600's Comment

Written on: 31/12/2010

I found this review very helpful because...i am looking for a car to tow my 2 tonne caravan and needed to know if it would be practical enough for everyday use

“I have owned the jeep 2.5crd ltd since 2004 and have...”

Written on: 24/11/2009 by yosser (2 reviews written)

I have owned the jeep 2.5crd ltd since 2004 and have had nothing but trouble with it. since 2004 during the manufactureres warranty period i have had in excess of £18000 worth of work carried out these include new engine, turbo, clutch slave and master cylinder, front prop shaft, new bearings in transfer box and new bearings in rear diff, 2 sets of alloy wheels due to corrosion.

it is currently 2 years out of the warranty period now and again i have a whining diff. At a cost of £650 the… Read Full Review

“The Jeep Cherokee 2.5 CRD is a good car with great...”

Written on: 13/06/2009

The Jeep Cherokee 2.5 CRD is a good car with great towing ability

“Wife has used the Jeep Cherokee 2.5 CRD with no...”

Written on: 31/03/2009

Wife has used the Jeep Cherokee 2.5 CRD with no problems at all as a family car and loves it. good seating position for tall or short alike, lots of space compared to peer group vehicles. Good MPG. Jeep have a bad press - can be a bit expensive to service through main dealer… Read Full Review

“I bought my Jeep Cherokee 2.5 CRD from Meridien Majestic ”

Written on: 04/03/2009

I bought my Jeep Cherokee 2.5 CRD from Meridien Majestic

We Part-ex'd our PT Cruiser and purchased a 3.7 petrol Cherokee.

Incredibly nimble on the country roads and more than a match for most cars on a motor way.

The Jeep is strong and will gives you a secure and safe feel. While also being very comfortable, the leather heated seats sooth worries away, if you are stressed, take it for a drive, it will make you smile.

Now considering its size and weight you will get on average 21mpg in combined… Read Full Review

“A good alround jeep and very reliable.”

Written on: 25/06/2008

A good alround jeep and very reliable… Read Full Review

“I wouldn't normally go for this type of car but after...”

Written on: 08/11/2007 by deano111 (1 review written)

I wouldn't normally go for this type of car but after having a test drive, the Jeep Cherokee 2.5 seemed that this was a different driving experience to any other I had before. It feels strong and no nonsense. Sounds like a tank and you can hear the responsive road when you rev it up. The road handling wasn't as sloppy as you'd expect for a larger car. It whips round corners quite nicely and feels really planted on the motorway. The main reason I like it is for the looks. Being younger than the… Read Full Review

“I'll start with the fact that my Cherokee 2.5crd LTd...”

Written on: 29/03/2007 by Fullspizz (1 review written)

I'll start with the fact that my Cherokee 2.5crd LTd has been with the dealer for nearly a month due to some sort of fault causing it not to start.
No dashboard gauges or anything, just a series of lights terminating in the engine light coming on. The car turns over but the glow plugs will not heat and the engine will not start.
The car is 3 months outside it's manufacturers warranty, having been fully dealer serviced and only covered 32k miles in it's lifespan.
The car had to be towed into the… Read Full Review

Yosser's Response to Fullspizz's Review

Written on: 24/11/2009

I agree totally with your review. I think jeep uk need to pull their fingers out on there franchised dealers customer service ethics.
<br/>
<br/>i have owned a jeep 2.5 crd ltd 2004 from new and during the warranty period i have basically had around &pound;18,000 pounds worth of work done to it so far. its been out of the warranty period for two years now and still the work continues and the pockets being emptied.
<br/>
<br/>its currently on 56000 miles and has a whining diff, my local delearer replaced all the bearings in the rear diff at a cost to me of &pound;650 and the noise went for 1000 miles and now it has returned and the delearer has refused to carry out repairs on the diff unless i pay for more parts again!
<br/>
<br/>don't buy one! unless you have deep pockets. i know i've been very unlucky here with this one but the customer service was very poor and obviously looking at some of the other reviews on here there diagnostic/fault finding techniques aren't up to much either! the jeep i have obviously isn't fit for purpose, jeep uk think otherwise

☆☆☆☆☆

“My Jeep Cherokee developed a noise similar to that...”

Written on: 18/06/2006 by chris6119 (1 review written)

My Jeep Cherokee developed a noise similar to that when a car exhaust is faulty. When taken to the Jeep garage, I was told it was a turbo clip failure. When I got the car back it was worse than ever, and I couldn't get it above 10 mph, with smoke billowing out the exhaust. Thousands of pounds later, the car does go but still smokes burnt oil from the exhaust. Taking into account the current value of the car minus the repair costs, it's worth about £400. Not good for a four year old car, that… Read Full Review

“This Jeep Cherokee 2.5 CRD 4x4 is the worst car I have...”

Written on: 31/07/2004 by RipleyF (1 review written)

This Jeep Cherokee 2.5 CRD 4x4 is the worst car I have ever had to drive along with the worst dealership support and Customer services that can be nothing short of rude and obnoxious. I am counting the days to when I can get rid of this car!
I had an accident, which was proven to be down to ABS failure at the rear sensors. This came up on the diagnostic check carried out by Jeep.
The car took 3 months to come out of the workshop which, on reflection, was the best period of ownership for… Read Full Review

Akkabit's Response to RipleyF's Review

Written on: 16/12/2004

I have a Jeep Cherokee Liberty and find the dealer excellent.
<br>A 4x4 will never handle like a car and any real wheel drive needs respect in the wet.
<br>I have now done 35000 miles in my Jeep this year alone and she has never missed a beat off road and on the motorway, often used to pull boats off sand and gravel beaches and has been used to rescue the odd Freelander from the sea. I only wish I had bought one years ago!

Jeremy Walker's Response to RipleyF's Review

Written on: 13/11/2005

Don't agree with any of these comments. Very happy with my Jeep Cherokee 2.5 CRD Manual. Looks good and drives well and is loads a fun.

☆☆☆☆☆

“I feel compelled to write and warn your readers about...”

Written on: 30/01/2004 by 100793 (2 reviews written)

I feel compelled to write and warn your readers about the situation I have found myself in. Even if this is a one off (and I doubt it is), it will make you think twice before buying.....

Four months ago I had an accident in my 13 month old Jeep Cherokee 2.5 CRD. Someone drove into the back of me, I accept these things happen but perhaps naively, I expected my car to be repaired by now.
However, I have now been waiting for Daimler Chrysler to supply one particular part to complete the repair… Read Full Review

Alistaird's Response to 100793's Review

Written on: 13/07/2004

Some good points made, some kind individual broke into my jeep 2.5 CRD and it took 6 weeks to get a window from Germany, When I bought the Jeep I had to wait 5 months for the fog lights to be fitted as Jeep had run out and as it was an extra on the sports model they had none in stock. But saying that its been a great car and fun to drive the service team have always been helpful and I would reccomend people to buy one.

Doug Cottham's Response to 100793's Review

Written on: 30/12/2005

Hi,
<br>I have recently purchased a 2001 2.5 crd sport.
<br>It has covered 36,000 mls. I am told it has a turbo which is intercooled and it has no power under 1500 rpm. Is this normal and can anything be done to improve this as it could be dangerous pulling away from junctions.
<br>Comments please.

Willee's Response to 100793's Review

Written on: 13/03/2005

They just started selling them in the US and I got one. I like the way it rides and it has been starting in cold weather so I like that too.
<br>
<br>I was reading the owner's manual today and found I am supposed to use synthetic oil in the beast. Ouch! That stuff is pricey. I got a diesel for economics and this puts some of that out the window. However, the manual says I only need change the oil every 6,000 miles so maybe it's not all bad.
<br>
<br>I always like to get a repair manual for the vehicles I purchase. I haven't found any for this on the internet.
<br>
<br>I don't like your parts story. Parts problems is one of the reasons I didn't go Japanese or European. Although, the motor is made in Italy, the sticker said it had 60 percent US content. Jeep has a lot of dealerships in the US, so I thought parts availability would be good.