The Butchers Arms, Priors Hardwick Reviews

• Quality of food

The Butchers Arms, Priors Hardwick - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for The Butchers Arms, Priors Hardwick

“In a different Class”

Written on: 06/06/2013 by RandolphFarquhar (1 review written)

I am intrigued by some of the reviews for this elegant restaurant. I have concluded that these fast food junkies are confused by the name and think it is like some roadside managed public houses that are part of a chain. I have to say they are easily spotted and my wife and I usually play the 'McDonald's customer' bingo game when we dine - if you spot four it's a full house!! Thankfully these visitors are few and far between and we are able to dine in the butchers Arms in very good company… Read Full Review

Nick357's Response to RandolphFarquhar's Review

Written on: 18/06/2013

Laughable Randy, laughable. You clearly don't get out much, do you? If you think this is the opitome of 'fine dining' - then where have you been for the past 30 years? I'm pretty sure it hasn't escaped your attention that a lot of people who have reviewed this place negatively all say the same things. Things like stuffy. Tired. Desperately old fashioned ( and not in a good way, either). Actually, they sound pretty well informed foodies to me - certainly not Harvester people. They also mention poorly cooked frozen food ( one look at the vast menu is a killer giveaway for any foodie that it won't be fresh). Do you actually watch Masterchef? Where's the locally sourced fresh produce? Where's the provenance? Where's the elegance in presentation? Jesus - it still has a sweet trolley that some pensioner wheels around and dollops a black forest gateaux onto a bowl. If that's your definition of a classy joint, you need your head examining. There's about half a dozen gastro pubs, all within 20 miles of this place, that simply cook better food. At reasonable prices. And if vulgar gold jewellery, flashy shiny shirts and WAG-ish 'ladies' bizarrely dressed in mini skirts is 'classy' clientele, then you're welcome to it. Avoid like the plague.

Randolphfarquhar's reply to Nick357's Comment

Written on: 19/06/2013

The 'laugh' I think is on you Nick357.
I am well aware of the mix of reviews for this delightful restaurant and I note that your comment does appear to be based on what others have said. I am unsure if you have visited this establishment yourself, I hope you have. However this perhaps provides evidence that you are predisposed to examine through other peoples eyes and influenced by other negative opinions, choosing to ignore the balanced view.
Perhaps you should visit again and make a point of reading the information available in the menu informing you of the locally sourced produce. Incidentally Lino will gladly take you on a tour of the kitchens if you request it. You will then be able to provide an informed opinion based on your own experience rather than your current prejudiced view based on some of the diatribe you have read and taken to heart.
I would thank you for mentioning 'masterchef', gave me quite a giggle and further evidence of you personal lack of food knowledge and pedigree. Masterchef is a television program designed to entertain and is as much about art and entertainment as it is food. I wonder how many of those dishes presented on the program you have tasted - alas none as all are consumed by the pompous vegetable retailer and the failed foreign 'chef'. I must admit I quite enjoy watching it but for entertainment purposes only.
Your last point is lost on me I'm afraid I don't subscribe to gold as being vulgar and as to short skirts and bizarre dress - I'm sorry it is clear that you may have dined here just once and maybe these people accompanied but the majority of fellow diners that I am used to have class, are professionals and have been groomed in etiquette. They are not the modern overindulged credit card classes that I think you refer to.
Enjoy your local 'Gastro-pubs' Nick357 I understand they all come with ketchup , mayo and may even throw in the odd free salad (I must admit I would rather eat the hound's meal than attend these 'microwave' establishments

Nicky357's reply to Randolphfarquhar's Comment

Written on: 23/06/2013

Jesus this is getting boring.

I'll just revert to my original point - I just think you don't get out very much. A few points:

1. I just don't recognise the Mayo, ketchup and free salad at the pubs I eat at, and I'm not quite sure the point your making here.
2. You seem to have a rather condescending attitude that anyone who doesn't eat at the Butchers Arms - or dares criticise its many failings, simply MUST only have experienced a 'greasy spoon' cafe or a Harvester.
3. I find this totally bizarre and you're clearly so uninformed and unaware in your world that - as I said - you clearly think the staple pawn cocktail-steak Diane-black forest gateux 'sophistication, (!) dished up by the pensioners at The Butchers is as good as it gets.
4. It's not. Get out. Drive within 40 miles of the Butchers and just try one of these. Go on. I dare you:

Howards Arms, Illmington
Fox & Hounds, Great Wolford
Farnborough Inn, Farnborough
The Swan, Swinford, Nr Burford
Cherington Arms, Cherington
The Norman Knight, Whichford

I don't think you'll see much ketchup or free salad here. What you will see, however, is a bill which will come in around £70 for two with a bottle of wine.

But then you're getting locally sourced, seasonal dishes, excellently cooked and elegantly presented.

You want to try 2013 sometime. It's not that bad...

“Great food, atmosphere and service!”

Written on: 27/03/2012 by SuzyP (1 review written)

Have to say what a fabulous meal we had at the Butcher's Arms last week. From the warm welcome on arrival, the staff were great. I chose from the set dinner menu and enjoyed delicious home made soup followed by the best home made steak and kidney pie - plenty of beef and light pastry. The portions are generous I struggled to make room for the dessert - but the cheesecake looked and tasted so tempting, couldn't resist! There were 8 of us, all had something different and everyone really enjoyed… Read Full Review

“Extremely dissapointed”

Written on: 05/12/2011

We visited the Butchers Arms and expected great things but on leaving felt both ripped off and let down. Anyone who recommends this place has not been to a restaurant in 20 years. The menu and food is presented in a mid 80s style with no grace or presentation skills. The waiters stand watching you eat and the atmosphere is very stuffy as a result. The price of £25 each for fillet steak is a tad expensive but when it was presented in a similar way to a Sunday roast I was fuming. They poured the… Read Full Review

Guest's Comment

Written on: 19/12/2011

09/12/2011

Party of 8 went to butcners arms had a great time everything very good,we all go often and are not disappointed at all.Will certainly be going many times in the future.

“Dog runs around the restaurant, disgusting”

Written on: 28/10/2011

Been in this place one, never to return. Disgusting, I was eating and a dog was scratching it self right next to me. Also going to complaint to Heath and Safety… Read Full Review

“I have just been to this restaurant and feel I have to...”

Written on: 27/01/2011 by malpass007 (1 review written)

I have just been to this restaurant and feel I have to write a review, the place it's self was very nice, in a pretty village a very nice setting. The car park was full of Range Rovers and more sports cars than you can poke a stick at, the menu inside looked promising and the place was packed although alot of the ladies wore very tight lycra dresses and alot of the gentlemen had too much gel in their hair. The restaurant must hold over 200 people and one would assume that many of the people had… Read Full Review

Guest 00's Response to malpass007's Review

Written on: 03/02/2011

I found this review not helpful because...it didnt give enough information about the bad food or service to throw some light on why there were so many customers dining there.

Randolphfarquhar's Response to malpass007's Review

Written on: 06/06/2013

Another visitor from the fast food world. It probably is a shock to most commoners to find a restaurant that serves real food, cooked on the premises and served by staff who know what service is.
Clearly this person was upset that there was no free salad bar and the tomato ketchup was missing.
I'm sure they could have found a Nando's nearby

“I have just been for a lovely dinner at the Butchers...”

Written on: 25/01/2011

I have just been for a lovely dinner at the Butchers Arms for 3, just relaxed and friendly, I only went for the rack of lamb it was delicious served with all the trimmings and fresh mint sauce, with a gorgeous herb crust, but ended up having the whole works apsaragus and hollandaise sauce to start and a bit of creamy cheese to finish off the burgundy pinot wine afterwards. The party of 30 locals near by were so friendly I made some new fiends as well. The staff were so kind I will be back next… Read Full Review

“we had a superb lunch at the Butchers Arms, with all...”

Written on: 08/11/2010 by H pires (1 review written)

we had a superb lunch at the Butchers Arms, with all the family this sunday, It was a cold day but the huge log fire in the bar was very welcome we studied the menu which we already new was all of our favourite roasts, all five of us chose completely different things and it didnt disappoint tender slices of beef perfectly cooked and the lamb just melted in your mouth, afterwards we couldnt resist the dessert trolly but i had a bread and butter pudding from the kitchen, granny was happy with… Read Full Review

“we went first time the other day with some friends who...”

Written on: 30/06/2010

we went first time the other day with some friends who said it was great.... even they changed their minds... the food is nothing great just normal food that i could do better and expensive. the restaurant is lovely and location and garden....... but allot better places be warned... ps this is the first time i have felt the need to write a review on the net… Read Full Review

Written on: 06/06/2013

Clearly it didn't meet the standard you are used to.............the local Harvester

“Tired. Old-fashioned. Vastly over-priced. ”

Written on: 16/04/2010

Tired. Old-fashioned. Vastly over-priced.
A 1980s time warp for the uneducated, ignorant masses with a flash Beemer and a few quid in their pockets.
Haven't the owners ever watched Masterchef?
Avoid at all costs… Read Full Review

Written on: 06/06/2013

Isn't it satisfying to know that the English class system is preserved somewhere.
Clearly this restaurant is in a class above this reviewer.
When you have an understanding of elegance, service, fine wine and dining you have a totally different experience.

“Very overpriced and old fashioned, the quality of food...”

Written on: 15/03/2010

Very overpriced and old fashioned, the quality of food very poor the staeks didnot taste of anything and the sauce was very poor. The tornedo rossini was served on a whole slice of bread on the menu it said croute. The a la carte menu is very expensive you could eat cheaper at Simpsons in Edgbaston for £30 and have half a bottle of wine on Sundays it is a Michelin restaurant with amuse etc. Won't be returning… Read Full Review

Written on: 06/06/2013

Stick to what you know commoner .......... fast food

“Heard from a few old people that this place was...”

Written on: 13/03/2010 by Hansolo (1 review written)

Heard from a few old people that this place was supposed to be good but its reminiscent of the 1980's and thats why they like it! Oddly there were people in sparkly dinner gowns when we went. Also they served supermarket bread and toast with nearly everything, it really is bog standard lunch box bread! We were served by about 8 different waiters dressed like something out of Allo Allo... at one point we were passed by a suited and booted waiter with half a melon on a plate... literarily it was… Read Full Review

Randolphfarquhar's Response to Hansolo's Review

Written on: 06/06/2013

Stick to McDonalds - clearly this is out of your league

“excellent in EVERY way”

Written on: 30/01/2010

excellent in EVERY way… Read Full Review

“”

Written on: 13/12/2009

If it's good enough for Bobby, it ain't good enough for me

In the restaurant in the Butcher's Arms "pub" there's dozens of signed pictures of minor celebs telling owner Lino what a "wonderful" meal they've had at the Butcher's Arms. People like Bobby Davro and some actor you've never heard of from Crossroads.

And that really tells you as much as you need to know about the Butcher's Arms. Like Bobby Davro's comedy routine, it's stuck somewhere in mid-1983. Flash, but uninspiring. Fussy and… Read Full Review

“This restaurant has a very good reputation so I was...”

Written on: 13/12/2009

This restaurant has a very good reputation so I was looking forward to our meal celebrating my Birthday. Our table was booked for 19:30. On arrival (19:20) we made our way to the bar and were handed the menu. We sat next to a lovely large open fire to enjoy our pre dinner drinks and choose from the menu. So far so good. After about 20 minutes a jovial old chap (I assume to be the owner) came to take our order. From this point on the dining experience went downhill to what can only be described… Read Full Review

“Ive eaten here for over 20 years, it has been somewhat...”

Written on: 09/11/2009

Ive eaten here for over 20 years, it has been somewhat disapointing the last two times, quantity isnt what it used to be, and at those prices thats not what Ive come to expect, sadly… Read Full Review

“Simply the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!We have...”

Written on: 29/08/2009 by Peter11 (2 reviews written)

Simply the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!We have enjoyed our night there! Go to the The Butchers Arms and visit it!… Read Full Review

“Disappointed to find that although advertised on the...”

Written on: 30/03/2009

Disappointed to find that although advertised on the The Butchers Arms web site you were not automatically offered their Lunchtime Menu of 3 courses for £20.00. Food was beautifilly cooked and presented, service OK… Read Full Review

“The staff at The Butchers Arms were amazing, and the...”

Written on: 15/03/2009

The staff at The Butchers Arms were amazing, and the whole family felt relaxed throughout the entire meal. It was the most enjoyable meal out i have ever had… Read Full Review

“The Butchers Arms was quite old fashioned in style but...”

Written on: 18/11/2008 by Johny1111 (1 review written)

The Butchers Arms was quite old fashioned in style but the staff were very friendly and accommodating. The menu was not vast but there was a bit of something for everyone… Read Full Review

“To say this is the best in the country is a bit far...”

Written on: 15/10/2008 by P Dodds (1 review written)

To say this is the best in the country is a bit far fetched! In my opinion the food is dated and has not changed in 20 years

If you are over 50 it can take you back to the era of the Blue nun wine when you thought that was the best in the business… Read Full Review