The Woman in Black Reviews

The Woman in Black - Ask a question now

“classic British theatre”

Written on: 08/07/2014

Having seen this production three different times while visiting the UK, it remains my all time favorite. Interestingly, the play differs quite a bit depending on the actors narrating the story, but it's always edge-of-the-seat suspense and, the ending, well it is always gut-wrenching, sheer Brit drama ! ! !… Read Full Review

“Boring boring boring”

Written on: 20/06/2014 by Knelly (1 review written)

Went to see w I b this evening and boy I wish I had looked on here first because with such a mixed bag of reviews from fantastic to terrible I would have given it a miss but of course I did not look and went to see the show. I get the fact that the two actors control the stage very well but they make the story very boring and not at all scary the only thing that made me jump was the young teenagers screaming at I scary things possibly one scream lead to the other hundred screams. £152.00 worth… Read Full Review

“The actors were great - really told the story.”

Written on: 05/10/2013 by escott2013 (1 review written)

I must admit when I saw there were only 2 actors, I was worried I wouldn't enjoy it. I did not need to worry - they were great. They held the audience completely - even the school parties - at times the silence and suspense was complete. The played the characters so that they came alive and told the story very well. We thoroughly enjoyed it and have recommended to others… Read Full Review

“Outdated set and boring”

Written on: 05/10/2013 by Totallytheatre (1 review written)

Actors were good, but very boring and certainly not scary. Imaginary dog, using a straw box to imitate a horse coach etc. They should take a look at the other shows in the West End and realise they need to move on. Very very boring… Read Full Review

Escott2013's Response to Totallytheatre's Review

Written on: 05/10/2013

Cannot believe the reviewer went to the same show as me - we went this week, thought it was fantastic. The actors held the audience completely. This is not supposed to be a high special effects show - that is the whole point, it's all about the actors' ability to tell a tale.

Totallytheatre's reply to Escott2013's Comment

Written on: 06/10/2013

I know it's not about special effects, but it's got to move on a bit. I found the imaginary dog thing to be not suitable for a top West End show! The show has got to move on just a little bit and yes surely keeps it's originality too. You'll find many others feel the same about the show.

“i went with school for a drama trip therefore it was a...”

Written on: 02/07/2013 by janematthews1 (1 review written)

i went with school for a drama trip therefore it was a long and busy day. i really enjoyed the performence itself and all 3 of the actors were exceptional. i would honestly love to go again in the future. GREAT SHOW!… Read Full Review

“One of the best afternoons I spent in London this year”

Written on: 06/06/2013 by Talon (1 review written)

My husband took me to London for my birthday last week and this was, without a doubt, a highlight. The actors were extremely talented. I was drawn into their world immediately and stayed there during the entire play. I laughed, I screamed and I became emotional. It is refreshing to see "real theatre" and not the overly visual and loud plays/musicals that are rampant today. We sat third row, dead center which was suggested to us as the best seats. They were. The theater is intimate… Read Full Review

“scary...ish”

Written on: 31/05/2013

This play is old and the special effects are dated and not very realistic. Like they say in the beginning 'the audience needs to use their imagination'. On saying this however, the play does not feel cheap or even that old as it's such a simple idea that you still understand what's going on and are still scared. This play takes you through almost every emotion there is... You laugh, cry, smile, jump and scream. The play is scary but I was lead to believe it was the sort of thing that would stop… Read Full Review

“poor show ! Praying”

Written on: 13/05/2013

Worst show I have seen. Please don't waste your time or money. Actors were good the play was so boring! The first half was a complete waste of time. 1/10 Very poor… Read Full Review

“Absolutely Amazing and Shocking!”

Written on: 04/11/2012 by tia26 (1 review written)

The woman in black is an AMAZING play I would definitely go and see it again! It is a very small theatre which helps with the tension and general atmosphere throughout the play. The fact the it is done with only two main actors and the woman in black, in my prior opinion, made it seem very boring. But as I am taking drama GCSE it is compulsory to go. When I got there I was being very negative about the whole thing saying to my friends oh this is going to be boring and rubbish, but I was so… Read Full Review

“The worst west end show ever ! ”

Written on: 26/09/2012 by 6337sean (1 review written)

I saw The Women in Black last night at the fortune theatre. AND WHAT A WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY. It was truely the most aweful production I have ever seen. I am susprised they can get away with such rubbish.... Two actors, whom play several characters, you even have to imagine a dog is on stage at one point. Its no more then a school play, this shouldnt be on at the west end. They havent invested in props and the set never changes. My advice: DO NOT GO !! you will be disapointed to say the… Read Full Review

Lovap's Response to 6337sean's Review

Written on: 23/10/2012

You need to read into the history of the play. My class are going to see this play soon and we are looking forward to it. We study Drama GCSE and this is part of our course. It is a theatre strategy. And plus they didn't have a lot of money when they first got the chance to stage the play so they couldn't afford many actors or props. You are supposed to imagine it, it makes it more scary. It isn't their fault that you have the charisma and the imagination of piece of carboard.

Ryan333Finch's Response to 6337sean's Review

Written on: 21/12/2012

A play that specializes in the concept of imagination and mime and you complain about the lack of props.

Hmmmmmmm's Response to 6337sean's Review

Written on: 05/12/2012

I think you have not thought with a open mind about this Production. The costumes, the stage, imagination need to create a vivid image of a dog, the obviously placed smoke machine and the fact there are only two characters is all for a purpose. The plot of the play is that Aruther Kipps has a story of grief and horror; based on his earlier life. He goes to an well talented actor and asks for him to help in presenting this story to close friends and family. The actor he hired sees greater potential for the story and wants to transform it into a high budget production (recorded sounds being expensive back then) and make the world proud of his talent. The entire play is screaming at you that you are watching a play within a play.

Tiaharmony26's Response to 6337sean's Review

Written on: 04/11/2012

seriously? the worst show ever? You joking me? its AMAZING! the Woman In Black isn't supposed to have props that's the point! it was first put on as a low budget Christmas scare in some small theatre outside of London. You need to read the book and film to get a proper understanding of why its put on at the west end. Do some research before you make a comment like that about something you have very little knowledge on.

Griffrj's reply to Tiaharmony26's Comment

Written on: 22/11/2012

fact is, if it was truly entertaining you wouldnt need to study it to enjoy it. As entertainment it fails.

Gaia1988's Response to 6337sean's Review

Written on: 28/10/2012

Your review demonstrates that you don't have understood at all the real meaning and force of this play:this summer I've been in London for the only purpose of watching it at the Fortune Theatre,and all I can say is that it's really been worth it.Indeed,I'm doing my graduation thesis precisely about"The Woman in Black":before expressing bad opinions about a play/book/movie,please make sure to have some background knowledge about it and the cultural movement in which it rose,otherwise remain silent,you may risk to annoy those who do have a real interest and love for theatre or whatever.

“excellent treat......”

Written on: 11/07/2012 by ninaboo (1 review written)

I have just been to see w.I.B as a totally unexpected surprise from my husband. I loved the film and have equally enjoyed the theatre performance. The small; intimate setting of the auditoriam suits the general feel of the story: unerving, dark and claustraphobic. Everything perfect....the actors of which only two are present, deliver suberb performances....talented and memorable. the direction of the storyitself for this particular genre balances humour and horror perfectly. The main star is… Read Full Review

“BRILLIANT,AMAZING,TALENTED!”

Written on: 30/06/2012 by RachelHowellx (1 review written)

Ignore all the bad comments about this! After watching the film and reading the book I decided to take my mom to the theatre to watch woman in black followed by Matilda on the evening for her birthday! my mom is a musical lover and me more of a film geek! I am 20 and my mom 50 and we both loved this! If your a fan of musicals such as Les Mis and Phanton like us you will really enjoy the talented actors and the story line this offers! The whole floor was jumping and loving the play! this was… Read Full Review

“Sorry but this was boring...”

Written on: 05/06/2012 by Glitter45 (0 reviews written)

Went to see this play last week with my partner. It was his first theatre experience. The two actors are obviously good at their craft but the play as a whole was boring, without suspense. The screaming sound effects served to ensure the audience stayed awake by jolting us into consciousness at the appropriate moments. The clapping at the end of this play was obviously an expression of relief that it was finally over and we were once again free to wonder around the West End. Oh my… Read Full Review

Tia26's Response to Glitter45's Review

Written on: 04/11/2012

I totally disagree with you! Try looking into the background and history of the play and maybe it will make more sense.

“YAWN!!!!”

Written on: 03/06/2012 by daise1970 (1 review written)

The film was brilliant as was the book. The show itself was dull, dull, dullll and the 1st half was wasted on a ridiculous attempt at comedy? My son in law actually fell asleep before the end of the 1st half. We were all thoroughly disappointed by poor props, limited cast and the length it took to finally start with the scary stuff.. Don't bother wasting your time or money!! After seeing the all singing dancing cast that is Mamma Mia, this was a total let down. Even the theatre was a… Read Full Review

Guest's Response to daise1970's Review

Written on: 19/06/2012

no no no no NO! The play was Fantastic if you analyze it the whole point of it being a two cast show is because it was about Mr. Kipps hiring a young actor to help him tell the story of an event that happend to Mr kipps when he was younger, the whole audience was involved remember at the start the young actor and Mr Kipps was saying look at all these empty rows before me... even the auditorium its self was involved that is why there was a cyclorama curtain hung across the stage to give the stage a claustrophobic feeling and the fact the Fourtune theatre was very unusaral/unique gave the room a cold atmostphere.
the play is very intement and becomes personal for example the woman in black walks straight past you... The play was extrodinary it is (i would say) the most SCARYIST play on the west end and i would say to anyone to get some tickets and brace yourselfs for a scary experience.

Tia26's Response to daise1970's Review

Written on: 04/11/2012

Try looking into the history of it and it will make more sense!!!

“Go and see the film...”

Written on: 04/04/2012 by fairy_gemsy (1 review written)

or wait for the play to tour away from Fortune Theatre. The staff were absolutely appalling, so much so that they made a friend of mine cry and we left half way through the 2nd half. As one of my favourite plays I was extremely upset that it should be ruined for a new potential fan due to dire customer service, as the actors actualyl made a reasonable attempt, althoguh I can't say I was astounded by the acting talent. Would certainly not recommend, simply because you risk the chance of… Read Full Review

“Brilliant Entertainment, very tense!”

Written on: 21/03/2012 by Ransom1337 (1 review written)

I would firstly like to thank the two actors for a fantastic performance. Their energy was felt throughout the entirety of The Woman in Black. This is the third time I've been to see this play over the course of a decade, and it hasn't lost it's appeal. The brilliantly planned use of stage and props really bring the horror story to life, with unexpected areas of the stage opening up to reveal more areas of the manor. Even now, the incredibly clever use of 'play within a play' impresses me. It… Read Full Review

“Amateur dramatics”

Written on: 28/01/2012 by Paul_L (1 review written)

Must have seen a different play from everyone else. Two guys and no scenery for 2 hours. More like a melodrama than anything else. Pretty boring and minimal suspense. I have seen amateur dramatics that was more entertaining. As far as I could see from the audience if you are a teenage girl you will love it - otherwise spend your money elsewhere… Read Full Review

“The Best Play In The West End ”

Written on: 19/01/2012 by E.MartinWestEndFan (1 review written)

I went to go and see The Woman in Black on Monday with school, and I have to say it was absolutely brilliant I have never been so scared in my life!!!!!.I thought the performers were fantastic, it really made you feel part of the story 10/10 :D… Read Full Review

“A True Masterpiece”

Written on: 04/01/2012 by kgsmette (1 review written)

Just returned from seeing this spine-tingling gem of a performance with my wife in London's West End. After initially wondering how on earth only two actors, plus minimal props and a simple stage set up could possibly carry off one of the most classic ghost stories of all time, my worries and fears were allayed by a truly mesmerising (and believable) delivery by David Acton and Ben Deery. The stripped-down, back-to-basics arrangement allows the wonderful script and rich, convincing and… Read Full Review

6337Sean's Response to kgsmette's Review

Written on: 26/09/2012

You clearly work for the show

“A great play but not that scary”

Written on: 21/11/2011 by reviewkitten (295 reviews written)

I went to see The Woman in Black a few months ago when the actors were Patrick Drury and Anthony Eden. I saw Ghost Stories shortly before and friends had recommended we come see this. Managed to buy some slightly cheaper tickets for an afternoon matinee to make an afternoon of it we had dinner afterwards. The show was pretty good. I won't mention any plot details as this could spoil it for anyone that wants to go and see it. It starts off slowly and gradually builds the tension. The two actors… Read Full Review