Winchester Super X3 Field Reviews

Winchester Super X3 Field - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Winchester Super X3 Field

“BEST EVER winchester”

Written on: 27/02/2014 by Kerry1234567890 (1 review written)

Light weight, shoots straight& very very little recoil, and very well built. proud to own one… Read Full Review

“Almost new SX3 Black Shadow not cycling 1 1/8 1300 fts”

Written on: 18/08/2013 by RemMod1100 (1 review written)

I bought an SX3 last December for a late season SD pheasant trip. The gun performed flawlessly on that hunt shooting 3 3/4 dram 1 1/4 oz 5 shot. Took it home and cleaned it and into the safe. Recently grabbed it for sporting clays and it wouldn't cycle Wimchester factory 1300 fts 1 1/8 loads. Luckily I took my Rem 1100 along because I was skeptical about the new SX3 cycling target loads. I took the SX3 home and cleaned it, gave it a once over with CLP, and tried it again on my home… Read Full Review

“Brillant”

Written on: 25/02/2013

Unreal gun, couldn't complain about it at all. In fact I think that the SX3 is up there with the benellis etc… Read Full Review

“SX3 in cold weather”

Written on: 11/01/2013

I flew back to ND over Christmas and while there decided to hunt pheasants used my sons SX3. Temps -5 to 15 above, shot birds everyday had only one missfire and it wasn't the guns fault. I normaly shoot a SBE and it was very comparable. If I did not have a SBE I would consider buying a SX3. … Read Full Review

“Can't get 3" magnum cartridges into the lower loading...”

Written on: 19/09/2012 by Goslingfernando (1 review written)

Anyone had problems getting 3" magnum carts into the under loader. I think the brass casing is catching and not letting the cartridge in. Any ideas or suggestions?… Read Full Review

Ss1980's Response to Goslingfernando's Review

Written on: 10/01/2013

Are you sure those are not 3.5"?

“SX3 Sporting 30"”

Written on: 28/07/2012 by FSDWarp10 (1 review written)

I purchased a SX3 sporting 12 ga. for sporting clays about a year and a half ago. After a complete cleaning I took it out and shot it and it would jam about every 25 shells. I took it home and found a small burr on the lever that guides the shell into the chamber from the magazine. After polishing the burr off it has run about 10, 500 rounds with no malfunctions. It gets completely cleaned every 200 or 400 rounds. The key to keeping these guns working reliably is to keep them clean. Take them… Read Full Review

“SX3 Sporting Clays Adjustable, 2 3/4 and 30' barrel”

Written on: 08/07/2012 by opfats (1 review written)

I've owned the newer sporting clays adjustable for 8 months. Other than some initial jamming in cold weather (ok - I'm in Florida - not that cold) it has run flawlessly. The jamming was within the first couple of cases of shells, since then I've run ~4500 rounds through (1300 competitive shots) with maybe 4 ftf. It is cleaned thoroughly after ever 400 rounds, wiped down after every 100. I like the balance, it is easy to shoot and cleaning is a breeze. The only thing I would have done… Read Full Review

“i will anwser questions about this gun jamming ”

Written on: 08/06/2012 by tythjgcdi (1 review written)

i bought the sx3 shotgun a couple of monthes ago and the first time i shot it it jammed on me eavery time so i took it into where i got it and they told me that the gun is in ''the break in stage'' they told me shoot 3 or for boxes through it and it should cycle fine so the next week i went ount sent 4 boxes through it and after the 4th box it hasent jammed sence then.after that day ive shot 12 boxes through it and havent had any problems… Read Full Review

“does not cycle”

Written on: 31/05/2012 by kgraves24 (1 review written)

i just got my new sx3 ive only put 2 boxes of lite loades through it and sometimmes it cycles sometimes it doesent i dont know if its the lite loads or not… Read Full Review

Guest's Response to kgraves24's Review

Written on: 08/06/2012

its the lite loads,mine works without fail with 32gramme up. several semi autos have the same problem or so i've been informed by friends who shoot semi autos.

Azangbugs's Response to kgraves24's Review

Written on: 28/03/2013

I think I have seen this complaint on other sites also. When you get as bored as I did one day you'll notice the ownwer's manual says it is not designed to cycle the lightest 1 oz and 7/8 oz loads, even though it does seem to work o.k. for some guys. Pretty crappy way to do business. Makes you wonder what else they are hiding... But I was so happy to find a shotgun that fit me I just bought one anyway.

Ss1980's Response to kgraves24's Review

Written on: 10/01/2013

You've got to break it in -- always standard procedure with new gun.

“Works great”

Written on: 03/05/2012 by Scott-C (1 review written)

I have read many reviews talking about the jamming but I have not had this problem. I recently purchased a walnut field and have put about 500 rounds through it. The gun is super easy to disassemble and clean. The recoil pad is amazing. The gun does shoot a little high but I got used to it quickly. Overall I think for the cost it is a good buy… Read Full Review

“SX3 Walnut 20/28”

Written on: 04/03/2012 by Gunny0311 (1 review written)

As of right now I have absolutely nothing but great things to say about this gun. I spent a lot of time handling,researching, and listening about the semi-auto's that are on the market and I will not say a bad word about any of them as there are a lot of great semi's out there. I finally decided Friday on the SX3. This was not the easiest decision, but in my opinion it was a good one thus far. Took it out this morning and ran about 200 rounds through it ( after a thorough cleaning of course). I… Read Full Review

“SX3 = POS”

Written on: 28/12/2011

Bought a SX3 two years ago. Have had nothing but problems with it. With this gun I have not been able to make it through a whole weekend of hunting without it jamming or not going off. Especially when it is cold. It's been nice saving money on bullets when my gun doesn't want to go off. Turning into a fence post… Read Full Review

Written on: 10/01/2013

Don't lube it. At all. The lube you're using freezes the gun, not the gun itself.

“never would I buy one again”

Written on: 25/07/2011 by qwikshot (1 review written)

I bought this gun in Jan 2011, before I even used it it malfunctioned. Put the barrel on, pulled back the bolt and it wouldn't come all the way back. Field stripped it right there, put it back together and went hunting. While out that day the gun malfunctioned three times. Every time on the third round the trigger jammed. Sent it back to Winchester, they said they fixed it by putting in a new trigger. I took it out and had the same problem. Sent it back to Winchester and they sent me a whole… Read Full Review

Motormadmarc's Response to qwikshot's Review

Written on: 13/11/2011

Hi qwikshot.

All i can say is mate , that you must have been very unlucky.
I purchased my 3.5'' SX3 12g Composite about a year ago and i have not had a single issue to date. The gun feeds all carts that i have fed it with ease and the recoil is virtually non existent. I can't remember having a single jam to date. My SX3 came with a 5 year warranty , that also gives me peace of mind , should any problems occur in the near future.

If anybody is looking for a fast , practical , reliable , good value autoloader , you won't do any better than to buy the Sx3.

Good hunting folks.

Qwikshot's reply to Motormadmarc's Comment

Written on: 11/01/2013

Well maybe Winchester has fixed the problem. I did love the gun, it was the best feeling auto I have ever shot. If you take the gun apart and look behind the nylon bolt buffer and see a little silver shine you'll understand what I'm taking about. I guess eventually it would have stop chipping off, but something was wrong. Winchester was good to me, can't complain about that. Glad your gun works well for you.
If you open the gun and look inside as I said I'd be interested to know what you find.
good luck

:Lou

Ss1980's Response to qwikshot's Review

Written on: 10/01/2013

Did you wipe off the camsoline it came in? Did you run a few boxes of hot loads through it first to break it in?

Life lesson -- always read and follow the instruction manual.

Qwikshot's reply to Ss1980's Comment

Written on: 14/01/2013

This is the last response I'm making about the SX3. I made the post two years ago. I'm not interested in getting into a debate, I posted my experience so others would be aware of the problem. I'm sure Winchester has fixed the problem by now. I know people do get testy when you say somethings about there guns and have a need to defend them. I don't know of anyone that puts cosmoline in guns anymore, but the gun was cleaned. I've never had to break in a gun in my life, a car engine, 20 years ago maybe. Sorry I don't have the pictures I took of the damage to the receiver and the trigger group anymore to post, but it's possible you could find them on the net if you look hard enough, I'm sure they're out there somewhere. Do you think Winchester would have given me a second gun and then refunded my money including the sales tax I paid if I did something wrong?

I've owned and shot a lot of guns in the past 54 yrs., have owned guns from $60.00 to $15,000.00, I think I have the right by now to make a judgement call.

Know need to get uppity with your life lesson

Qwikshot's reply to Qwikshot's Comment

Written on: 21/01/2013

After reading some more post I thought I'd write one more answer. Read how many people shot boxes of ammo through the gun before it stop jamming. Do you think the receiver had no more metal to give up? I do. Looks like more people had trouble with the SX3 than not.

Lou

“Great shotgun for the money. Compared to Benelli and...”

Written on: 05/05/2011

Great shotgun for the money. Compared to Benelli and Browning the Winchester Super X3 sporting is rediclously amazing. The adjustable stock is awsome the fit and finish is great, and it cycles all 2 3/4 just fine with no problems at all. Super fast gun, cannot say enough good things about it. I would definately recommend it to a friend… Read Full Review

Written on: 10/01/2013

All modern semi-autos will perform well -- Berettas, Benellis, Brownings, Winchesters -- all are good.

“Bought a Super X3 Composite 28" barrel 3 1/2" chamber...”

Written on: 08/02/2011

Bought a Super X3 Composite 28" barrel 3 1/2" chamber a few weeks ago and love it! I have shot many 3 inch shells, and a handful of 2 3/4" shells. I have not had it jam on me yet and found that it patterns excellent with a Trulock precision hunter modified with either Kent 3" 1 1/4oz #2 and Winchester Xpert 3" 1 1/8oz #2 (38 pellets on average within a six inch circle from 30 yards). Tried Kent 1 1/8oz #2 and I had less pellets under the tested circumstances, but still considerable results for… Read Full Review

Martin1985's Comment

Written on: 30/08/2012

have a super x 3 composite 3 1/2 .never one problem had a berretta extrema 2 that didnt last half of duck season pure junk sold it and got the winchester fixin to buy another super x 3 winchester or nothing oh and i hunt in the salt marshes of louisiana in the mud it dont matter best shotgun out of all brands excluding my old remington 870 wingmaster the rest u can throw in the bottom of the nearest river

“This gun feals great and looks just as good but it...”

Written on: 24/01/2011

This gun feals great and looks just as good but it jams all the time. I have tried light oil, break free oil, no oil and it still jams after you shoot a box of shells. i have changed shells and i have pollished the chamber of the barrel to see if it had a burr but it still jams. This is probably the best swinging, carrying, killing gun i have owned but i am tired of missing the second duck due to jams. The finish doesn't stay on the gun either. I am VERY particular about my guns and do not slam… Read Full Review

“Don't buy a winchester SX3 my SX3 jams all the time...”

Written on: 16/11/2010

Don't buy a winchester SX3 my SX3 jams all the time camber ajustment plates causes the trigger assembely to bind when installing. Winchester really dropped the ball on this gun. I wish I never sold my Beretta 390… Read Full Review

Guest's Comment

Written on: 03/07/2011

About the Winchester SX-3. It's not the great gun most people think.
I think this follow has hit the mark on this gun. I can't believe all the good reviews on this gun. I bought one, Winchester had it more times for repairs than I had it to shoot. They offered to buy it back from me, but I said send me a new one because I love the way the gun looks and feels and though it was just a fluke . Well I got the second one. It came sopping with oil all over the receiver, I took it apart, found shared of metal all over the inside of the receiver, cleaned it and examined it for damage. I found the back of the aluminum receiver being hit by the steel bolt, just like the first gun. Being left handed I changed the safety to suit a lefty. I took the gun to my trap range just to check it out. At the 27 shot the gun malfunctioned, just like the first gun, the trigger became jammed, the safety wouldn't move and I had to get off the line. I cycle the gun by hand several times and pushed on the safety until it moved and finally the gun was working again. When I got home I disassemble it to find a piece of metal in the shape of about a 3/4 of a circle and less than the thickness of a hair, also the scoring at the rear of the receiver was becoming worst.
Winchester originally offer to buy the gun back the first time, I'm calling them on Thursday because the person I have to speak to is on vacation. Two guns, same problems. There were other problems with the first gun, but I'm not going to get into it here, these are the serious ones. Making a gun with an apparent aluminum receiver with no buffer to protect it from a steel bolt is just plain stupid. Anyone who says this gun is great has either not shot it much or just knows little about guns. I'm keeping the photo's of the damage to the gun and will be spreading them across the Web if Winchester doesn't come across with the money. This gun is pretty, but it's not dependable, I put it in a class with some of the worst engineered guns I have even seen, Anyone reading this please take this warning and stay away from this gun. I bough this gun for goose hunting, It's hard to hunt with a gun and enjoy yourself when you don't know if the gun is going to shoot or not. If you're stupid enough, as I was, bring another gun along. Foul me once shame on you, foul me twice shame on me. I'm the foul and I guess I'm paying for it with all this grief. No more guns with aluminum parts. By the way, as the aluminum is eroding where do you think the metal is going, you guested it, down into the trigger mechanism. I forgot to mentioned this, close examination of the trigger showed gouges in the trigger where it contacts the safety.

If anyone is interested in seeing the photo's of this brand new gun with only 51 shots out of it you can email me your address and I'll be happy to send them to you. It would be my pleasure to save someone all this money and saving someone from making an awful mistake as I did.

lmaraio@gmail.com

Written on: 10/01/2013

Get back to B guns then.

“I just bought SX3 camo, 3.5" last week. After several...”

Written on: 01/11/2010

I just bought SX3 camo, 3.5" last week. After several years of shooting a Benelli NOVA I was convinced that my next gun would be the SBE ll. That was until I saw the price! I bought the SX3, saved $400 (thats a lot of shells) Added a Pattern Master LR choke, HIVIZ sight, some Xpert 3" #2's loaded the boat and headed out....First day shot a limit of Greenheads. Gun works like a champ, I could not be happier...
Buy one you won't be sorry… Read Full Review

Written on: 10/01/2013

Agreed. In the market for it right now. Shot a friend's one at the range for clays -- perfecto!

“I was shopping for a new shotgun last fall and did my...”

Written on: 07/10/2010

I was shopping for a new shotgun last fall and did my research. I was down to the SBE and the SX3. Once I picked up the SX3 there was no doubt which gun I was buying. The SX has not and does not get the respect it deserves. I have shot over 1,000 rounds in cold and sloppy weather and never missed a beat. This gun can run with any autoloader on the market and might just lead the pack. The only thing I don't like about it is the red Winchester insignia… Read Full Review

Guest's Comment

Written on: 25/07/2011

I agree have not bought one yet, that bothers me there is no alternatives?

“after shooting a rem for over 15 years in many leagues...”

Written on: 11/09/2010

after shooting a rem for over 15 years in many leagues and having my grandfather own a gun shop my whole life the thing i always told people is fit is everything when it comes to a shotgun and they nailed it with my sx3 for me i have never been in love with a shotgun like this it light weight affordable and cranks the shells out like crazy i love love love it and wonder why i have 10 other 12 gauges in my cabinet. The only shotgun you need is the sx3 hands down p.s my grandfathers gun shop… Read Full Review