Contax (Kyocera) Aria Reviews

Contax (Kyocera) Aria - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Contax (Kyocera) Aria

Showing star rating of:

(cancel refinement)

“I purchased Aria as newer body to replace my Yashica...”

Written on: 01/07/2003 by Juan Sandoval. (1 review written)

I purchased Aria as newer body to replace my Yashica FX3 Super camera, as I have Contax lenses. The Aria is lightweight and compact like my Yashica which was the main reason I got it. But I do not have good results with the automatic metering. When I select evaluative metering mostly I get overexposed photos, especially with the 28mm lens - slides are always overexposed especially. The metering on my FX3 Yashica actually works better.

Cceuk's Response to 112207_Juan Sandoval.'s Review

Written on: 05/08/2003

I feel that it is a little unfair to damn a camera on an aspect that with experience can easily be overcome. My Aria certainly shares a tendency to over expose slide films (though it is spot on with print film, which has higher exposure latitude anyway). To counter this I merely over-ride the DX setting and increase the ISO speed - problem sorted!

Rob Valine's Response to 112207_Juan Sandoval.'s Review

Written on: 16/03/2007

You can't rely on a cameras meter to solve exposure problems for you. You have to be able to recognize light and understand exposure enough to recognize what could be a problem and what won't be a problem. If your shooting in mixed lighting with slide film, It is something that can obviously be a problem. I've never had this problem with the Contax Aria camera and have taken thousands of pictures with slide film. You have to remember that slide film has a narrow latitude of exposure and there are some things that simply won't fit in that latitude regardless of what meter you are using. I also have and use a Yashica FX-3 camera and it's a great little camera. Although, I wouldn't say the meter is any better or worse than the Aria. I usually bracket important slides 1/2 over and 1/2 under just to give a choice of exposures.

155436_Thomas Turk's Response to 112207_Juan Sandoval.'s Review

Written on: 12/05/2004

How about simply spot metering on the heart of the subject, and choosing a slightly brighter part if u want a darker pix and vv..