NFU Mutual Home Insurance Reviews

NFU Mutual Home Insurance - Ask a question now

“priced themselves out of the market”

Written on: 29/12/2014 by eyesblue36 (1 review written)

we have been with nfu religiously for over 10 years with a timber framed barn conversion which other insurers seemed to struggle to quote on, whilst we had one claim which was dealt with well the premiums have gone up and up and up till this year i couldnt take it anymore over £1100 for house and contents, aviva have given me a better policy with more cover for £500 thats £600 per year saving !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and what did nfu say ??? if you need any help in the future please feel free to… Read Full Review

Nfusurvivor's Response to eyesblue36's Review

Written on: 05/01/2015

I had a similar experience, I found Aviva far cheaper too. I guess the lesson here is all insurers will reassess risks they are going to take on and enter new markets at a lower rate. They will all turn up the heat when you stay with them. Aviva started to do this with me on remarkably similar figures but tried to renew at £800, a quick phone call and back to £700. I have no claims experience of Aviva but can say I have had of the NFU and found their ethics underhanded and they tried to knock 70% off the claim by being "inventive" , In my experience not worth the extra premium, in fact I would never insure with the NFU again.

“Avoid NFU Home Insurance ”

Written on: 05/12/2014 by llO'Connor300 (1 review written)

Terrible experience from end to end, having experienced the trauma of a burglary we have had delay followed by repeated bullying attempts from NFU suggesting we withdraw our claim. This despite the police evidence and crime number. Customer service is unhelpful, unresponsive and designed to frustrate. Do avoid NFU… Read Full Review

Written on: 05/01/2015

For those of you who think "bullying attempts" is an over dramatisation, I have been witness to the same process. Whilst I am sure the NFU is not alone I can only comment upon my experience which was appalling, not recommended, despite paying extra for a local broker to handle everything when a claim starts its in the hands of a loss adjuster/complaints dept and no local contact is allowed. Best avoided. The insurance ombudsman website scores insurers with percentages of complaints upheld, It is no surprise to find the NFU are far from well behaved. They need to up their game, The ombudsman has found those bullying attempts were witholding some 60% plus of a valid claim in my instance...

“landlord insurance”

Written on: 22/11/2014 by tobyknighton (1 review written)

I would like to inform all landlords who respect their Tennant's not to take out insurance with NFU .a claim was made on house insurance in Feb.this year and work has just started . involved taking out compete kitchen which left us with no cooking facilities, their advert said they would rehouse .they were not prepared to do this ,they said I would have to use the rent I paid my landlord which would not be anywhere near the money I would need ,they said their responsibility was to the… Read Full Review

“DONT TRUST WHICH OR THAT NFU ADVERT - WORST INSURER EVER !”

Written on: 25/10/2014 by Anthonyn382 (1 review written)

I recently had accidental damage to my property £2000 to repair and when I lodged the claim NFU told e I had no accidental cover, I specifically remembered asking for this on the quoate call , which are recorded , yes they tell you that dont they. So my claim was refiused as i had no accidental cover , I always have it so why not now I asked myself. I requested the voice recoridngs to prove I did specifically request this, surprise surprise and very convenient they have not voice recordings… Read Full Review

Ian.stone's Comment

Written on: 07/01/2015

Been there done that. I had trip insurance with them and needed repatriation from Madeira. They outsource this bit to a company called Mutuaide in France, who at the time had a BBB- credit rating (trash in the industry). I Did a subject access request for the telephone recordings using the Data Protection Act. They claimed my letter took 10 days to reach them then an additional 12 days to get to their "Data Protection Executive". They claimed that France requires all recordings to be retained for 8 weeks. Guess what by the time my request hit the "Data Protection Executive" 8 weeks was just up. I quote from their letter "We will be reviewing this aspect of the contract with Mutuaide as it was known that you had submitted a complaint and therefore this information would have been relevant, Please accept our apologies for this."
I then raised a complaint with the Information Commissioners Office. After an investigation they concluded " it seems LIKELY that NFUM has complied with the DPA in this case." The operative word is "LIKELY". More of my story elsewhere on this site.

“Wouldn't use any other company for car and equine cover.”

Written on: 12/08/2014 by Sidesaddlelady (6 reviews written)

I have had car and equine insurance policies with NFU for many years. I have had one car claim when another driver ran into the back of my car on my way to work. I rang at 10.30 am. The young lady took the details and said she would arrange for the car to be collected and a courtesy car delivered. When I asked when this would be (anticipating a long journey home on the bus), she apologised profusely that there would be a delay as she couldn't get this done until the afternoon (of the same… Read Full Review

“Wouldn't use anyone else”

Written on: 21/07/2014 by Frasernx154 (1 review written)

I've insured with the NFU for years for both home and contents and Equine. I've had claims on both policies and they've ALWAYS been handled with the utmost proficiency and I've never been kept waiting. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them and I think they're undeserving of such a low eating on here. I wasn't going to bother leaving a review but then it seemed only those with a bad experience bother to let you know. I've only ever had first class service from them. They will not be the… Read Full Review

“Not to be trusted”

Written on: 14/07/2014 by ReubenChoate (1 review written)

We had insurance for over 30 years with this company, but due to family illness this had lapsed 3 years ago. Although the local branch was aware of the situation they refused to give cover on farm vehicles stating the new policy was they only insure if you already have all other business insurance with them. Rang head office who said this was bull and gave me other number to call but declined on basis that local office had blatantly lied. Would never recommend after this, dread to think how… Read Full Review

Written on: 26/08/2014

If you let your insurance lapse for 3 years why are you surprised when the conditions have changed. If NFU told you the information you were given was inaccurate and gave you a number to ring why didn't you ring it? Sounds like a common sense by-pass here.

“Worst ever”

Written on: 07/07/2014 by LianaMcCann472 (1 review written)

This company turned a crisis into a nightmare. Do not believe their fancy advertising as they do not do anything that is in them. Customer services say sorry but do not come up with anything concrete. Their only recommendation is "if you are not happy then go to the ombudsman" Avoid at all costs… Read Full Review

This has not been my experience in over 14 years business with this company

Written on: 05/01/2015

Keep an open mind ! it revolves around the size of the claims made and if they want to pay you out. Good luck if you are happy with them and I hope you never see the side that the rest of us has seen and in my case the ombudsman has supported.

Written on: 05/01/2015

After getting similar treatment they told me the same, go to the ombudsman. The 30% they tried to settle my claim for is not being accepted as now every reason given for reducing the claim was not in the policy or wasn't a fact . They hope you don't get as far as the ombudsman thinking you have been ground to much already. Despicable company Ethics, despite highlighting the descrepancies now found by the ombudsman to the NFU chairman he simply got the Chief Exec to write back confirming nothing was wrong. Their driving motives are highly questionable and I would never do business with them again.

Cmoore2889's Comment

Written on: 05/01/2015

We have now taken our case to the Ombudsman and are still fighting them 12 months after our event. We had a letter from the Chief Exec saying basically " If you don't like it then go elsewhere" Sums up their attitude. Which magazine take note!

This has not been my experience in over 14 years business with this company

“very poor customer service”

Written on: 19/04/2014 by BaileeGomez428 (1 review written)

customer service agents lost and confused, very poor service, so disapointing… Read Full Review

“beware NFU house insurance”

Written on: 05/03/2014 by frances.rossi (1 review written)

I have been trapped living at a house in an area for 11 years as this is how long it took the NFU to sort my claim!!! I was flooded by a BURST water main NOT on my property but on the road.The flood people they sent to sort everything in the beginning were dam useless! the work men did not turn up or tell me when they were going to turn up so every day i was moving my car for them. the work was shoddy they would not listen when i said i would pay extra for better doors!! i came home to find the… Read Full Review

“Keep well away ”

Written on: 18/02/2014 by Ian.Stone (1 review written)

I was a long standing customer of NFU Mutual. I had a Home and Lifestyle policy with NFU Mutual which contains annual holiday insurance. Last February 2013 my wife and I had a holiday in Madeira. My wife fell ill on arrival. Several days later she was admitted to hospital in Madeira with a heart problem. The hospital stabilises my wife and said she needed repatriation with a doctor in attendance. What followed was a nightmare NFU’s agent avoided doing anything, excuses like; the most… Read Full Review

K9Thedog's Response to Ian.Stone's Review

Written on: 12/06/2014

Do you have an update?

Ian.stone's reply to K9Thedog's Comment

Written on: 16/06/2014

After much stone walling by the National Farmers Union (NFU) the Financial Ombudsman Service ( FOS) Adjudicator made recommendation for settlement on 9th December 2013. These recommendations were rejected by the NFU. I was asked to comment on them which I did as several important points were missing. The complaint now goes to an ombudsman. Yesterday I had a letter from the FOS saying" my complaint is still waiting for the ombudsman's final decision." It also says "More consumers and businesses are now asking for a final decision and unfortunately our waiting times at this time have increased. We have recruited more ombudsmen........"

Nfusurvivor's reply to Ian.stone's Comment

Written on: 06/01/2015

Hi, I find myself in a similar position at the moment, the adjudicator has found the NFU have not upheld their terms of contract, he is dealing with the last point now which needed a further expert opinion showing everything they said to me was incorrect. It was not a health claim but buildings insurance dropped to less than 40% for it seems no valid reason although they tried to make it seem so with the chairman and the chief exec backing up poor behaviour. So next we will find what they will respond to the adjudicator with. How did the wait end up for you and did the ombudsman go with the adjudicators decision?

Ian.stone's reply to Nfusurvivor's Comment

Written on: 07/01/2015

Hi, No the Ombudsman did not agree with the adjudicator. She said I was not to be paid for curtailment of my holiday when my wife was admitted to hospital as the adjudicator had said because NFU had picked up on the adjudicator’s wording where he said I suffered Loss of enjoyment. NFU said the policy did not cover enjoyment which the Ombudsman accepted but failed to pick up that I was covered for Holiday “An extended period of leisure and recreation, especially one spent away from home or in travelling.” There was also an issue of the expense I and in particular my daughter was put to getting them to do their job. The Ombudsman said this was not covered by the policy! What policy states we will cover you for our incompetence?
Another issue we had was we had paid a friend £1800 for a holiday she had arranged for our local wine group. NFU rejected this unless I could provide them with the cancelation agreements my friend had with her 20 odd suppliers. I put NFU in touch with my friend. Notwithstanding that NFU convinced the adjudicator that I should do that. My friend wrote to the Ombudsman stating how she arrived at the cost was none of my business which the Ombudsman accepted. The policy stated “We may ask for invoices” I provided them with one.
Whilst the Ombudsman had said NFU should pay the £1880 under the “my findings” heading it was missing from the “my final decision” section where it stated "I require the National Farmers Union to” There were several errors in the decision which I complained about but the FOS said there final decision was final. I did Email NFU asking what they were the prepared to pay if I accepted the decision. This was ignored so I did not accept the Ombudsman’s decision.
I then wrote to NFU(signed for) saying I was going to the small claims court. In response they sent me a cheque for £138.82 which I returned. I am now preparing court papers.
Almost 2 years down the road now.

“NEVER TRUST THESE PEOPLE”

Written on: 10/02/2014 by Youareshityoushitbags (1 review written)

Well I'm still waiting for my money they said I would have my money 2-4 weeks 6 weeks later!!!!!!!!!! I'm going to the papers… Read Full Review

Sidesaddlelady's Response to Youareshityoushitbags's Review

Not my experience with NFU - 5* for claims and any enquiries

“Seems corrupt beyond belief.”

Written on: 05/09/2013 by Profprop (1 review written)

After years of claim free insurance, with property values reviewed annually through face to face meeting with broker I suffered a loss. The NFU loss adjustor put in their own rubbish builder - between them they expanded the size of the claim exponentially. I had mitigated the loss and was planning to have my property back in use after 6 weeks. The builder appointed by NFU's agent had his own ideas. I'll be lucky to get it back 3 Yeats later. NFU failed to cover the loss of rent! They refused… Read Full Review

Nfusurvivor's Response to Profprop's Review

Written on: 06/01/2015

Ahh, Mr Sinclair, He should have been a politician, he assured me everything the ombudsman adjudicator has found wrong was perfectly correct and I was at fault. ( which incidentally was every single reason my claim was being reduced by the NFU/Crawfords ) . Strange though the way the marketing for this company works, many people who have not had the experience of a serious claim with the NFU defend them because they believe they are a good company... I hope they never have reason to make a big claim

“Amazing experience with the NFU”

Written on: 01/08/2013

The old saying about bad news travels fast or in the internets case only the bad experiences get a review is true! I've been insured with the NFU for a year now and never had to claim with an insurance company before. This year I've had 2 claims. Both handled perfectly and way over my satisfaction level. I had my digital camera stolen on Saturday night/Sunday morning and a replacement was heading my way on the Wednesday. What more can you ask for? Recommended to anyone who will listen… Read Full Review

Loonielane's Comment

Written on: 10/07/2014

As it was a relatively small claim I am not surprised they managed to deal with it quickly and efficiently.

“n f u very over priced ”

Written on: 08/06/2013 by markmorooka (3 reviews written)

been with them for a number of years now the renewal has just come and its a joke its 3 times the price of the cheapest quote i have had and double the price of the most expensive quote the cover has been dropped down on most things with them so read your renewal like i did and i wont be useing them again… Read Full Review

“Excellent service”

Written on: 16/05/2013

We had a water leak back in 2010 flooded out the building 1 phone call to the NFU , assessor arrived promptly sorted out the work and paid up very quickly can not ask for any better service very good Thanks NFU Ps still with them you get what you pay for ??… Read Full Review

“Greedy Board taking profits”

Written on: 20/02/2013

Wow, Look at the report and accounts online. Like many banking institutions the board are voting for big fat pay rises at a time the rest of the country and no doubt the normal workforce within NFU are scraping a living. It seems from reports the CEO there now has been brought from outside. He seems to have brought with him his greedy ways. Looks like he worked and was sacked from ING for losing customers due to them not passing on interest rate rises to savers. How many customers has he lost… Read Full Review

“worst company ever”

Written on: 11/02/2013

disgusting treatment of staff and customers and charge more than anyone else. I wouldn't do business with them again, especially the Honiton branch. They should be 'de-activated'. There is a nsty guy that works there as well as the 2 main women bosses - STAY CLEAR… Read Full Review

“Non payment of claims!”

Written on: 20/12/2012

Indeed we chose NFU for historic reasons being agricultural, we had a few building converted to holiday lets, there was some slippage on one building, so we put in a claim, it was rejected saying it was not covered as it was not declared that a change of use had occured, technically the holiday let status was removed to become a full agri residency, Cat C residency is just that irrespective of any detailed use. Secondly, a good friend of mine, also a farmer, was doing work on his roof and… Read Full Review

Mc1000's Comment

Written on: 11/02/2013

i HAVE DEALT WITH THE hONITON BRANCH AND THEY ARE BAD!

“claim hassle”

Written on: 04/09/2012 by doublestandards (1 review written)

I have had insurance with this company for 13 years.As with most people I just kept on with the policy year in year out.This year I had to make a claim.It is still ongoing. This company place adverts in journals ,papers and tv claiming to settle claims hassle free.This is a completely misleading statement.The NFU Mutual conducts its business through agencies throughout the UK.The agents claim to work on the customer behalf.This is again misleading.The agent has a conflict of interest between… Read Full Review