Thomson Cruises, The Calypso Reviews

• Food - quality & variety

• Entertainment on board

Thomson Cruises, The Calypso - Ask a question now

“We went on this Calypso cruise for the itinerary - the...”

Written on: 12/05/2009 by besafisher (1 review written)

We went on this Calypso cruise for the itinerary - the Crimea and Istanbul, so we got what we wanted, but we have to say as experienced cruisers, that on-board was a disappointment, and as someone else said, Thompsons can (and do) do better. The fact that the ship wasn't built as a cruise ship shows at times, for example the theatre is a single storey room with no raked seating, and the stage is at the general floor level. A fair bit of live music around the boat, which was no bad thing… Read Full Review

“Calypso is a very friendly ship, good food, FANTASTIC...”

Written on: 25/10/2008 by angela roberts (1 review written)

Calypso is a very friendly ship, good food, FANTASTIC entertainment. I have a dairy allergy and the staff went out of their way to ensure my food was safe. We did the Eastern promise cruise, so no days at sea. Ports of call were all amazing. We took 3 organised tours, guides really knew their stuff and were well worth the cost.
A nice "extra mile" touch is the surprise left in your cabin, your towels made into animal shapes (a monkey hanging from the ceiling or an elephant wearing your… Read Full Review

“A lot of noise in the back part of restaurant and menu...”

Written on: 29/08/2008 by dibden (1 review written)

A lot of noise in the back part of restaurant and menu not that exciting. Bistro a big let down. Entertaiment hit or miss. Only good think about this ship its adult only. Come on Thomson you can do a lot lot better with the Calypso it may be small but you need to give it style, great food and a touch of class, you can do it make her stand out from the rest of the fleet… Read Full Review

Kmargaretdodds's Response to 396273_dibden's Review

Written on: 03/10/2008

Just returned from the Calypso and I can assure you it was excellent. The staff, entertainment, food in both restaurant and bistro, cleanliness and cabin crew all first class. It'S beggars belief what some people expect.

“All the staff gave their all, especially the...”

Written on: 19/08/2008 by fletchta (1 review written)

All the staff gave their all, especially the entertainment team who were brilliant. Food excellent, cleanliness superb & great entertainment. The ship was served by friendly staff who were always anxious to please. Fantastic value for money… Read Full Review

Mtek's Response to fletchta's Review

Written on: 22/09/2008

I found this review unhelpful because of the lack of detail on the ship, ports of call and transfers.

“Package ”

Written on: 24/07/2008

Package
Myself and my wife were on The Calypso Crimean/Ionian cruises beginning on 07 July 2008. The flight from Newcastle and the transfers could not be faulted. Thomson did a good job.

Ship
We had read some reviews and had some reservations about the ship. They were completely unfounded. It is small, friendly and as good in terms of service, food and entertainment as any other we have been on. The cabin we had was a bit small but commensurate with the overall size of the ship, and certainly… Read Full Review

Mtek's Comment

Written on: 22/09/2008

I found this review helpful because having been on both cruises it reflects the delight most passengers felt at the ports of call.

“Our second cruise and without doubt the best. The...”

Written on: 18/06/2008 by David R (1 review written)

Our second cruise and without doubt the best. The Calypso is a great little ship, the crew and entertainment staff are fabulous. The food was good. Our cabin was a reasonable size, clean and well serviced. Being on a small ship you soon get to know the staff and other passengers. We cruised the Greek Islands for 2 weeks and saw many larger cruise ships, some too big for me. My wife and I, and other passengers we spoke to all agreed that we would rather be on Calypso than any big cruise ship… Read Full Review

“We love this small ship the The Calypso, it is so...”

Written on: 29/05/2008 by Rita Wilks (1 review written)

We love this small ship the The Calypso, it is so friendly. The entertainment is second to none, the crew cannot be faulted and the food is superb. We have just returned from our second cruise on this ship (our sixth with Thomson) and we definitely want to go again. Superb holiday. Could do with some handles on the drawers… Read Full Review

Kmargaretdodds's Response to 369930_Rita Wilks's Review

Written on: 17/06/2008

I found this review helpful because...so many conflicting reviews on this ship and I'm concerned as I have booked for September 2008. I hope some of their problems have been ironed out.

“Highly recommended”

Written on: 11/11/2007 by The Teanbys (2 reviews written)

Highly recommended… Read Full Review

“This was my first ever cruise and I chose the Calypso...”

Written on: 08/11/2007 by MaryBantick (1 review written)

This was my first ever cruise and I chose the Calypso partly because of the interesting itinerary and partly because it was adults only. I was very impressed with everything, it was absolutely brilliant. On this cruise there was one day at sea then we moored every day at a different interesting port where there was lots to see and do and you were not stuck with just wandering around shops. We only went on one of the organised excursions, the trip to Lindos in Rhodes, which was very good, the… Read Full Review

“If that was all we could find to complain about, the...”

Written on: 19/08/2007 by The Teanbys (2 reviews written)

If that was all we could find to complain about, the holiday must have been very good - the tours were well organised. The bar prices were reasonable, although some draught English beer would have gone down well!
The food was good and plentiful with excellent service.
This was our first cruise and we went with no preconceptions, the ship was well appointed and though the word 'plush' could not be used it was very comfortable, all the staff were hard working and friendly and made one feel at… Read Full Review

“Overall, an enjoyable experience though we were...”

Written on: 15/07/2007 by George antigua (1 review written)

Overall, an enjoyable experience though we were disappointed about the altered itinerary and have contacted Thomsons since returning home. Calypso is a tiny ship - but we were prepared for this - and the cruising experience as very different from that on a larger ship. There are advantages though! Getting on and off the ship at ports of call is quick and easy!… Read Full Review

“The overall feeling about this holiday was that the...”

Written on: 26/05/2007 by snelgrovek (1 review written)

The overall feeling about this holiday was that the ship is a lot smaller than we thought it would be, and although you could describe the Calypso as a cruiser you have to stretch your imagination. Why Albania has been included in the port of calls we cannot understand. Although there is a small beach area and shopping just outside the port, you will see why Albania is classed as the poorest country in Europe if you get off the ship. The journey up the Corinth Canal was something we all enjoyed… Read Full Review

“A delightful 10 days, although The Calypso is one of...”

Written on: 17/05/2007 by tonyjudy (1 review written)

A delightful 10 days, although The Calypso is one of the smaller boats. We would happily recommend this to others… Read Full Review

“Although ports of call were to be commended, this ship...”

Written on: 16/04/2007 by AnnDarra (1 review written)

Although ports of call were to be commended, this ship was unstable and not fit for cruising. On complaining to the receptionist on board ship, she entirely agreed with all our comments.
I would not recommend this ship under any circumstances… Read Full Review

Tony Nicholson's Response to AnnDarra's Review

Written on: 29/04/2007

Ann was unfortunate as this was the ships first cruise for Thomsons. It was obviously not fully geared up. We have just returned from the same cruise, 21st -28th of April, and found everything was not only good but excellent. The food, service, staff and entertainment could not be faulted in any way. The ship sailed well too in 8 - 10ft swells, much better than some other ships we have been on, this was our 14th cruise. We have been on quite a few of the posh ships, including P&Os Oriana and Aurora and thought that the Calypso was better than any of them. A smaller ship is much more friendly in many respects. Ann must either must be very hard to please, or is one of those compensation seeking professional moaners.
<br/>Try it for yourself, we recommend it.

Marybantick's Response to AnnDarra's Review

Written on: 08/11/2007

I disagree with this review because I found the Calypso to be a great ship. We had no trouble with instability even though the seas were a bit rough at times. There were always plenty of seats in the Bistro and all the food was superb. We did sail at the end of the season so perhaps any earlier problems had been ironed out by then, but I would definitely recommend the Calypso to anyone and I intend to sail in her again.

The Teanbys's Response to AnnDarra's Review

Written on: 23/08/2007

Wow! Ann did have a bad experience and not just with the ship - strange that someone on the same sailing said exactly the opposite!
<br/>We were so impressed we are sailing on the 'Ionian treasures' cruise on 'The Calypso' on Monday 27th August 2007 - watch this space for a review of our trip.

Anndarra's Response to AnnDarra's Review

Written on: 20/08/2007

Further to my initial review of our cruise on the Calypso in April this year, and comments made by other passengers, I stand by my original comments. Furthermore, I have since met and heard of other passengers who suffered the same experience as us.
<br/>I am not a marine engineer, but my husband is, and also his father. For many years we had our own very successful Marine Company based on the Liverpool side of the River Mersey.
<br/>I never made a claim to Thomsons, but I thought that they should have offered all those on the inaugural cruise a free weeks holiday on another ship. I have nothing but disgust for the way Thomsons have disregarded my complaint, and they have never given me the courtesy of a reply.
<br/>Many other passengers complained, some even got flights home from our first port of call.
<br/>Shame on you Thomsons!

The Teanbys's Response to AnnDarra's Review

Written on: 19/08/2007

I disagree with this review because...we had no problem with the ship stability - is Ann Dara a marine engineer? Food was good hot and plentiful, cabins were clean and comfortable, though agree about the space!

“Inaugural Cruise for Thomsons ”

Written on: 09/04/2007 by NixAccount (1 review written)

Inaugural Cruise for Thomsons

"Ancient Empires" - 31 March to 7 April 2007

INTRODUCTION

"The Calypso" was built as a car ferry in 1968, converted to a cruise ship in 1994. She has a flat bottom, and at just over 11,000 tonnes she is a third of the size of Celebration or Spirit. She rides badly even in slight seas. Compared to Celebration/Spirit, cabins are small with limited storage space (135 - 244 sq ft, cf 150 - 296 sq ft), although according to the "Berlitz" guide the smallest cabins are… Read Full Review