Waterside MC350 Reviews

• Service & Support

Waterside MC350 - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Waterside MC350

Waterside MC350

“Overflowing problem repaired at reasonable cost”

Written on: 21/01/2014 by riccume (1 review written)

I've had the machine for 5 years, it always worked well but a few weeks ago it started to fill up, similar problem to what others described here. I contacted BWT (they are the only ones allowed to service this machine) and scheduled a visit from a technician on the following week. I also contacted the marketing manager who has been active on these site, to share my concern that, given the numerous negative feedbacks, it wasn't worth repairing this unit. The advisor was very helpful with the… Read Full Review

“Very good bit of kit”

Written on: 09/04/2013

I've had an MC350 for about 7 years now and it has just sat there and done its thing. First fault last month when the O ring between the valve head and the resin cylinder started leaking. Got a set of two O rings form Wrekin Water Softeners, followed their instructions and replaced it no problems. Other than that it's been a good bit of kit and I'd certainly have another one. The secret with this, as with all appliances is not to be afraid of it - its just plumbing after all and easily… Read Full Review

Waterside MC350

“Broken down 4 times in 5 years, time to put it in the skip”

Written on: 08/03/2013 by CWSC (1 review written)

I only wish that I would have read reviews prior to purchasing. Whilst I would not now be without a water softener the MC350 was a poor choice of product. If I add up the cost of the original purchase + 4 service calls in 5 years it was indeed a poor purchase. The last time it was fixed 10 months ago and another £120, engineer had trouble convincing himself, let alone me that it's the norm to have a yearly service on the MC350 given the mechanical nature of the device.. At that time I said no… Read Full Review

Bwtuk's Response to CWSC's Review

Written on: 20/03/2013

Dear CWSC
I am very disappointed to hear that you have not been satisfied by the performance of your water softener. I have logged your comments onto our complaints register using the unique reference number C0373. Would you be so kind as to email BWT on enquires@bwt-uk.co.uk quoting the reference number C0373 along with your contact details, this would enable us to review your water softeners service history prior to contacting you to discuss the nature of the problem and how we could help to resolve the current issue and also offer reassurance that BWT respond to all customer complaints and offer customers a high level of back up and service support.

Waterside MC350

“Waterside MC350 - Don't waste your money”

Written on: 05/03/2013 by goldingggg (1 review written)

I thought Culligan was a good make so bought their MC350 water softener about 5 years ago. It has never worked properly, uses lots of salt one month, none the next although our water consumption is stable. It has leaked for the last year, needed a new circuit board after 2 years. The salt alert sound randomly, whether it has salt or not and yesterday the head section blew off from its base, spraying mains water pressure until we isolated the unit. If it had not been located in the garage it… Read Full Review

Hello12's Response to goldingggg's Review

Written on: 07/03/2013

Have had the same problems...im about to replace the circuit board again within 5 yrs....usless

Bwtuk's Response to goldingggg's Review

Written on: 21/03/2013

Dear Goldinggg

I am very disappointed to hear that you have not been satisfied by the performance of your water softener. I have logged your comments onto our complaints register using the unique reference number C0372. Would you be so kind as to email BWT on enquires@bwt-uk.co.uk quoting the reference number C0372 along with your contact details, this would enable us to review your water softeners service history prior to contacting you to discuss the nature of the problem and how we could help to resolve the current issue and also offer reassurance that BWT respond to all customer complaints and offer customers a high level of back up and service support.

Waterside MC350

“A completely worthless piece of junk.”

Written on: 15/10/2012

The general builders who were completely renovating a house for us got this unit fitted in response to our requests for a water softener. Literally 2 weeks after the year's warranty ran out the unit started recycling constantly, it absolutely *age* salt (an entire 25kg bag in one week!) and the salt hopper kept flooding. The manufacturers came out to fix it (a bill of £180!) and fixed it...'up-selling' another year's warranty. The second warranty ran out a week ago...and guess what, the… Read Full Review

Mwhitehair's Comment

Written on: 15/10/2012

I have a mc350 hi flo and guess what you are totally right, what a load of rubbish, had it for two years and of course stopped working after a year, service engineer came out and fixed and this lasted 2 weeks and broke again, not been working since and engineer not answering calls. This is not one off stuff as my friend had one fitted at the same time by the same plummer and he has exactly the same problems, you cant keep paying repair bills so only option is to junk. Be warned stay clear of waterside softeners.

Written on: 14/03/2013

Dear Customer
I am very disappointed to hear that you have not been satisfied by the performance of your water softener. I have logged your comments onto our complaints register using the unique reference number C0374. Would you be so kind as to email BWT on enquires@bwt-uk.co.uk quoting the reference number C0374 along with your contact details, this would enable us to review your water softeners service history prior to contacting you to discuss the nature of the problem and how we could help to resolve the current issue and also offer reassurance that BWT respond to all customer complaints and offer customers a high level of back up and service support.
Regards
BWT Service

Waterside MC350

“THIS IS AN UNRELIABLE MACHINE WHICH BREAKS OFTEN. ”

Written on: 02/10/2012

THIS IS AN UNRELIABLE MACHINE WHICH BREAKS OFTEN. Furthermore the manufacturer's guarantee is not worth the paper it is written. I have such a machine installed in my house and broken in less than 2 years, upon calling their service, they are asking for a call out charge and cost of repairs. It has also been using salt in excess in comparison with a previous system I had. Most faults are due to its electrical timer and motor. My older system had a mechanical timer and is still working at my… Read Full Review

Waterside MC350

“Try installing it somewhere outside”

Written on: 04/09/2012 by wiggrat (1 review written)

We've had the MC350 for about 6 yrs now. There's been a damp patch below where the overflow exits the building for the last 5 yrs. Constant dripping from the overflow has been the least of our problems though. About 2 yrs ago there was water in the lid area (thankfully dripping into the main salt container through the small drain hole). This was being caused by the PLASTIC!!? blend valve starting to fail: the 'screw-on' black plastic retainer had started to break down & was cracking. Phoned… Read Full Review

Wiggrat's Response to wiggrat's Review

Written on: 05/09/2012

I've arrived home now to the mess that has been caused by the MC350. On closer inspection the blend valve (yes, the PLASTIC blend valve- the plumber we called out to isolate the unit was baffled at the "dinky-toy" choice of material for this vital component). If you've got one of these water softeners, GO AND CHECK IT NOW. Look for hairline cracks in the black retaining nut that holds the green blend valve knob in position. If there are any:- isolate the softener straight away! - believe me, the consequences if (when) that thing goes are catastrophic. Because of the saturated carpets the whole house now smells of wet dog; not pleasant, and considering one of my kids suffers from asthma, potentially bad for your health.
----------------------------------------AVOID.-----------------------------------------

Waterside MC350

“Waterside MC350 / MC250 Problems?”

Written on: 05/03/2012

These countless reviews based upon the Waterside MC350 / MC250 are very interesting and only seem to confirm my own findings based upon my 12 years experience with these machines. I must however be up-front and say that I have been in the water softener industry for many years and have sold and installed many hundreds of different manufacturers machines over the years from North Somerset, through Wiltshire, Hampshire, Berkshire, Gloucestershire, Oxfordshire, Suffolk, Norfolk, Essex and… Read Full Review

Guest's Comment

Written on: 06/04/2012

iam a water softner engineer been doing this for 16 years , and i have to say the mc250 and the mc350 are very poor in construction made with a cheap plastic that is brittle a motor that just about good for a toy has no way of shutting off water if in a regeneration and the power goes off it just keeps filling usally over the top then threw the over flow , its very cheap they flooded the market , if you want good softners harveys block eco water just dont buy cheap,

Willp's Comment

Written on: 21/06/2012

As the first person to review this product (in 2008) on this site and say how badly it performed, I was concerned that I might have got it wrong. Apparently not, and it seems that it has taken the manufacturer (Waterside/Culligan) several years to wake up to the fact that many people have problems with the MC350. Since having the head replaced with a Fleck in 2008 all has been OK but I wish the boiler installer had put in a more reliable softener in the first place. Good luck if you've just bought one. [willp]

Dear Customer,

As the manufacturer of the MC range of water softeners, I have read your review and would like to take this opportunity to say that I am disappointed to hear about your experiences with BWT and our MC range.

As the largest manufacturer of domestic water softeners in the UK, we will always stand by the quality of our products. Our confidence in our products is reflected in the fact that the MC Range of water softeners have since July 2010 been supplied with an industry leading free 5 years parts and 2 year on–site labour warranty.

I hope you can appreciate that no range of domestic appliances can be perfect all of the time, and would advise anybody that has experienced a problem with one of our products to contact our customer service team on 01376 334200. Your call will be dealt with promptly and if at the end of the call you are not satisfied with the outcome, please ask for your call to be passed to the senior manager on duty. We take all customer calls seriously and will ensure any issues are resolved quickly.

Waterside MC350

“Don't buy this Culligan MS 350 , Faulty Seals”

Written on: 25/02/2012

Bought one new in may 2008 . After 15 months constantly overflowing . Spent £180 to fix with one year warrenty , after fault on a seal causing water to ingress into electronic circuit board . 16 months later same fault with water on printed circuit board , seal gone again . Not worth spending any more , and have purchased another make with 7 year warrenty… Read Full Review

Dear Customer,

As the manufacturer of your MC350, I have read your review and would like to take this opportunity to say that I am disappointed to hear about your experience. As part of Europe’s leading water technology group, we stand firmly by the quality of our products and are so confident in the MC range of water softeners that since July 2010, they have been supplied with a no quibble 5 year parts and 2 year on-site labour warranty.

In the last ten years, we have manufactured over 70,000 water softeners, and unfortunately, from time to time, despite rigorous quality control, an odd few do not perform in the way in which we would like. When and if these situations are brought to our attention, we always aim to act quickly to resolve the issue. Owners, plumbers and installers can contact our customer service department on 01376 344200 where their call and any issues can be dealt with promptly. We take all customer calls very seriously and encourage customers that feel less than satisfied with the service they receive to ask to speak to the senior manager on duty.

“Overflowing problems”

Written on: 07/11/2011

Same as the alot the other comments, had this water sofener for about 4 years but now overflowing all the time- will have to replace. Though reasonably priced at the time- it was a false economy as having to replace… Read Full Review

Waterside MC350

“This unit is the worst water softener I have come...”

Written on: 25/02/2011

This unit is the worst water softener I have come across, avoid at all cost. I had another softener for 15 years and never failed, I have had 3 MC350's every one has failed and the suppliers says it needs servicing every year for £180 a go?? Buy another make because this is cr@p… Read Full Review

Dear Customer,

As the manufacturer of your MC350, I have read your review and would like to take this opportunity to say that I am disappointed to hear about your experience. The MC350 requires no more servicing than other comparable units, but like all similar appliances, it will benefit from regular servicing to ensure that it operates efficiently and effectively.

As the largest manufacturer of domestic water softeners in the UK, we always stand by the quality of our products. Our confidence in our products is reflected in the fact that since July 2010, the MC Range of water softeners have been supplied with an industry leading free 5 years parts and 2 year on–site labour warranty.

I hope you can appreciate that no range of domestic appliances can be perfect all of the time. We do encourage feedback from our customers and would advise you to contact our customer service team on 01376 334200 if you feel that there are unresolved issues. Your call will be dealt with promptly and if at the end of the call you are not satisfied with the outcome, please ask for your call to be passed to the senior manager on duty.

Waterside MC350

“Bought a Waterside MC350 just over 2 years ago while...”

Written on: 12/01/2011

Bought a Waterside MC350 just over 2 years ago while extending the house.
Despite spending £12,000 with our plumber he insisted that we buy this direct as he did not want anything to do with it. So we did.
Everything seemed OK until after 13 months it would keep recyling.
Then leaks started from the top, followed by constant overflow (there are 2 overflows piped in) Then the electronic timer display packed up followed by some very bizarre noises and finally a significant flood in the… Read Full Review

Dear Customer,

As the manufacturer of your MC350, I have read your review and would like to take this opportunity to say that we are disappointed to hear about your experience.

I hope you can appreciate that no range of domestic appliances can be perfect all of the time, and would advise anybody that experiences a problem with one of our products to contact our customer service team on 01376 334200. Your call will be dealt with promptly and if at the end of the call you are not satisfied with the outcome, please ask for your call to be passed to the senior manager on duty. We take all customer calls seriously and will ensure any issues are resolved quickly.

Waterside MC350

“Looking at these reviews, I seem to have been really...”

Written on: 04/11/2010 by jlhalstead1 (1 review written)

Looking at these reviews, I seem to have been really lucky. Mine lasted about 10 years before it went wrong. I could not get any technical support from Culligan and the answerphone was full and would not take any more messages. I wonder why!

I took the advice I read here and contacted Wrekin Water Softners. Excellent and knowledgable advice and service. I purchased a replacement head and fitted it myself. The cost was £185 inclusive of delivery. I also changed the resin at an extra £60… Read Full Review

Bwtuk's Response to jlhalstead1's Review

Dear Customer,

As the manufacturer of your water softener, I have read your review and would like to take this opportunity to say that we are disappointed to hear about your experience. As part of Europe’s leading water technology group, we stand firmly by the quality of our products and our service team. With many years of experience, our engineers can normally solve most issues in a single visit. When this isn’t possible for whatever reason, we always aim to keep you informed as to the reasons why. Our engineers are friendly and approachable, but if you would prefer to speak to our Customer service team, then they can be contacted on any working day between 8.30 and 5pm on 01376 334200. At the end of a call or engineers visit, if you feel less than satisfied with the service you have received, please ask to speak to the senior manager on duty who will personally deal with any remaining issues you have.

Jlhalstead1's Response to jlhalstead1's Review

Written on: 20/06/2012

Dear Mr Fraser,

Thank you for your contact. Since I fitted the new head, the softener has been fine. In fact I am using much less salt than before because the old one filled the salt resevoir with water from leaking seals. It did this from new, and not knowing any differently, I thought this was normal.

I am glad to hear you have improved your customer service.

I would be happy to recommend the new head to anyone.

Best regards

John Halstead

Waterside MC350

“manufactures offer nil support just want to charge...”

Written on: 14/10/2010

manufactures offer nil support just want to charge call out constantly overflowed found solution myself technical support very unhelpful would never buy another product from them
solution i found for overflowing was to take pump apart and turn o rings over
two in particular one shaped as a figure of 8 and the one on the end of plunger {white plastic bit with spring }… Read Full Review

Dear Customer,

As the manufacturer of your water softener, I have read your review and would like to take this opportunity to say that we are disappointed to hear about your experience. As part of Europe’s leading water technology group, we stand firmly by the quality of our products and our service team. With many years of experience, our engineers can normally solve most issues in a single visit. When this isn’t possible for whatever reason, we always aim to keep you informed as to the reasons why. Our engineers are friendly and approachable, but if you would prefer to speak to our Customer service team instead, then they can be contacted on any working day between 8.30 and 5pm on 01376 334200. At the end of a call or engineers visit, if you feel less than satisfied with the service you have received, please ask to speak to the senior manager on duty who will personally deal with any remaining issues you have.

Waterside MC350

“We purchased a MC-350 about six years ago. It was...”

Written on: 04/10/2010 by Roger Cull (1 review written)

We purchased a MC-350 about six years ago. It was expensive for what it is and it has been problematic ever since, where one has to continually reset it and regenerate the system to keep it softening. Its economical on salt because its so inefficient.

I've just phoned Culligan for a servicing quote and I was astounded at their prices. Option 1. £80 + parts + VAT. Option 2. £150 all inclusive! Bloody expensive especially when you compare it to say Dyson Ltd whose charges are aorund £60… Read Full Review

Bwtuk's Response to Roger Cull's Review

Dear Roger Cull,

As the manufacturer of your water softener, we have read your review and would like to take this opportunity to say that we are disappointed and saddened to hear about your experience. As part of Europe’s leading water technology group, we stand firmly by the quality of our products and our service team. With many years of experience, our engineers can normally solve most issues in a single visit. When this isn’t possible for whatever reason, we always aim to keep you informed as to the reasons why. Our engineers are friendly and approachable, but if you would prefer to speak to our Customer service team instead, then they can be contacted on any working day between 8.30 and 5pm on 01376 334200. At the end of a call or engineers visit, if you feel less than satisfied with the service you have received, please ask to speak to the senior manager on duty who will personally deal with any remaining issues you have.

Waterside MC350

“As a previous owner of a MC250 for many years, I...”

Written on: 26/08/2010

As a previous owner of a MC250 for many years, I upgraded to this softener when the MC250 packed up.
This review is for the MC350 softener, not Culligan as a company (they're awful though Waterside (now Culligan) engineer excellent).

At first it would not regenerate on time and seemed to be missing by about four days for the hardness in our area, so we got hard water for that period. After five engineer visits and lots of spares/upgrades etc. It now works perfectly. This was all done under… Read Full Review

Dear Customer,

As the manufacturer of your water softener, we have read your review and would like to take this opportunity to say that we are disappointed to hear about your experience. As Europe's leading water technology group, we stand by our products and our service team. We are so confident in our products that since July 2010, the MC350 has been supplied with a no hassle 5 year parts and 2 year on-site labour guarantee

With many years of experience, our engineers can normally solve most issues in a single visit but when this isn’t possible, we always aim to keep you informed as to the reasons why. Our engineers are friendly and approachable, but if you feel as though there are unresolved issues, I would advise you to call our customer service team who can be contacted on any working day between 8.30 and 5pm on 01376 334200. At the end of a call or engineers visit, if you feel less than satisfied with the service you have received, please ask to speak to the senior manager on duty who will personally deal with any remaining issues you have.

Marketing Manger

Waterside MC350

“I inherited a Waterside 350 water softener with a...”

Written on: 09/08/2010

I inherited a Waterside 350 water softener with a house move. It has been nothing but trouble and because the manufacturer only allows Culligans to service and repair the item it costs a fortune for repairs. I have spent several hundred pounds over the last few years getting parts replaced. Eventually it again broke down this month with water constantly running down the overflow and it was estimated to cost £400 for repairs. I made Culligans take the damn thing out and I am looking for a more… Read Full Review

Dear Customer,

As the manufacturer of your MC350, we have read your review and would like to take this opportunity to say that we are disappointed and saddened to hear about your experience. As the largest manufacturer of domestic water softeners in the UK, we always stand by the quality of our products and service team. Our confidence in our products is reflected in the fact that since July 2010, the MC Range of water softeners have been supplied with an industry leading 5 years parts and 2 year on–site labour warranty.

In the last ten years, we have manufactured over 70,000 water softeners, and unfortunately, from time to time, despite rigorous quality control, an odd few do not perform in the way in which we would like. When this situation occurs, our dedicated engineers are able to normally solve most issues in a single visit. When this isn’t possible for whatever reason, we always aim to keep you informed as to the reasons why. Our engineers are friendly and approachable, but if you would prefer to speak to our Customer service team instead, then they can be contacted on any working day between 8.30 and 5pm on 01376 334200. At the end of a call or engineers visit, if you feel less than satisfied with the service you have received, please ask to speak to the senior manager on duty who will personally deal with any remaining issues you have.

Kind regards,

Waterside MC350

“had the mc 350 installed 2 years ago,has been nothing...”

Written on: 26/07/2010

had the mc 350 installed 2 years ago,has been nothing but trouble since day one.overflowing the main problem.culligan mending in 1st year under warranty.I cannot find an independant company to now srvice it as they cannot get parts from culligan and most of these companies say it is a "rogue machine".going to cut my losses and buy a different make.Definitely not recommended.I wish i had seen this site 2 years ago… Read Full Review

Dear Customer,

In the last ten years, we have manufactured over 70,000 water softeners, and unfortunately, from time to time, despite rigorous quality control, an odd few do not perform in the way in which we would like. When and if these situations are brought to our attention, we always aim to act quickly to resolve the issue. With many years of experience, our engineers can normally solve most issues in a single visit. But when this isn’t possible for whatever reason, we always aim to keep you informed as to the reasons why. Our engineers are friendly and approachable but if you would prefer to speak to our Customer service team, then they can be contacted on any working day between 8.30 and 5pm on 01376 334200. At the end of a call or engineers visit, if you feel less than satisfied with the service you have received, please ask to speak to the senior manager on duty who will personally deal with any remaining issues you have.

Waterside MC350

“I have a Waterside softener which I have to say is...”

Written on: 19/07/2010

I have a Waterside softener which I have to say is fantastic as it has given my husband a great relief with his eczema.

I have also found that I no-longer need to clean the bathroom after every use as there is no scale builds up.
We contacted the technical department during set up and found them to be very helpful and informative.

Great product and great service.

Dear Customer,

We would just like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to write a review on the MC350. Your feedback is important to us and if you have any further comments, please do not hesitate to contact me. If in the future, if you require service any technical information, please contact our customer service team on 01376 334200 where your call will be dealt with promptly.

Waterside MC350

“I wish someone told me about the MC350 before I bought...”

Written on: 20/06/2010

I wish someone told me about the MC350 before I bought it over two years ago as it has proven to me a most unreliable piece of kit.

To give it credit, it worked fine during the first year and then its started falling apart. As the call out fees were so high I was forced to carry out the repairs myself, althoguh not with any help from Culligans who were completely unhelpful and refused to offer any advice or provide any reasonably priced spares (to replace one of the control wires I would have… Read Full Review

Dear Customer,

As the manufacturer of your water softener, we have read your review and would like to take this opportunity to say that we are disappointed to hear about your experience. As part of Europe’s leading water technology group, we stand firmly by the quality of our products and our service team. We are so confident in our products that since July 2010, the MC350 has been supplied with a 5 year parts and 2 year labour warranty.

With many years of experience, our engineers can normally solve most issues in a single visit but when this isn’t possible for whatever reason, we always aim to keep you informed as to the reasons why. Our engineers are friendly and approachable but if you would prefer to speak to our customer service team, then they can be contacted on any working day between 8.30 and 5pm on 01376 334200. At the end of a call or engineers visit, if you feel less than satisfied with the service you have received, please ask to speak to the senior manager on duty who will personally deal with any remaining issues you have.