Hotpoint FFA60 Reviews

• Durability

• Style

• Service & Support

Summary

Type: Bottom Freezer
Total Volume: 8.15 Cu. Ft. / 231 Liter
2 Shelves

Hotpoint FFA60 - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Hotpoint FFA60

Hotpoint FFA60

“DON'T BUY ANYTHING FROM HOTPOINT”

Written on: 04/11/2013

We have this fridge and a washing machine by Hotpoint. The freezer broke after 6 months, so we called the Indesit/Hotpoint Repair Service. An engineer visit was arranged, so I took off one day from work to be there. First engineer couldn't fix it, as he didn't have the part with him. Another visit was arranged, I took off another day from work. Second engineer was one hour late, and surprise, surprise: he didn't have the part. So today another engineer was due to fix our fridge after 3 weeks… Read Full Review

Leeridett's Comment

Written on: 08/01/2014

Could not agree more , I bought a Hotpoint Quadrio about 20 months ago the fridge/freezer has had nothing but problems I have lost food that defrosted 4 times and Indesit/Hotpoint don't want to know they keep refering me to the insurance company, All they do is keep sending an engineer to repair, they repair and then it goes wrong again and I loose all my food which they say they can,t do anything about??????? I would never buy from them again and would strongly advise others not to do so. They do not care less about providing godd reliable appliances. Hotpoint used to be a very good company but not any more. I am now waiting for the engineer to come again, what will they replace this time I wonder?????? Even the last engineer suggested that they replace the fridge freezer but that was ignored and they replaced the compresser, (gosh it lasted 3 months this time.) before loosing all my food again.

“DECENT PRODUCT”

Written on: 12/05/2012

I've owned this fridge freezer for 10 years with very few problems. It's survived 2 house moves and the only real criticism is with the strength of the plastic used for the door bottle rack (I'm on my third now and have been careful not to overload it) and the salad containers (although this could also be partially due to putting as much in them as possible; I do feel they could be made of stronger plastic though!). I think the product is big enough for 2 people but a larger capacity product… Read Full Review

“Goodbye Old Friend”

Written on: 01/02/2012 by shaolinsister (1 review written)

My poor fridge freezer is giving up the ghost. After 8 happy years it no longer works. In all that time I don't think I called an engineer once. I never had to defrost it or try to fix it at all. The only problem was in its later years the drawers split, but I didn't mind and could get spare parts easily online. Now he's broken he's still working hard until his dying breath. Even though the fridge freezer isn't making any more cold, it's remaining an effective coolbox from the residual chill… Read Full Review

“Worst Buy Ever”

Written on: 18/01/2012 by zippiehippie (1 review written)

I had bought Hotpoint Iced Diamonds from new since 1977 and have nothing but praise for them, so when I needed a bigger fridge I bought the FFA60. The first two years were OK, but then the problems started. Initially with the much heralded, more eco-friendly plastics used in its construction. They are not so durable and much thinner and lighter. The inner door milk shelf broke off; the fridge back progressively developed radial cracks in several places - had to use gaffer tape; salad shelves… Read Full Review

Guest's Response to zippiehippie's Review

Written on: 30/05/2012

I can completely empathise with you. Before I bought the Hotpoint FFA60 I used Indesit for almost 16 years before it stated to give trouble. I then bought this Hotpoint model 4 years ago. It worked well for the first two years.
In 2011, red light for the freezer showed, luckily it was insured with Barclays Insurance and they repaired it saying the gas was empty. It is again showing red and the freezer has turn warm, I have cancelled the insurance due to cutting back on my expenses. This is a let-down of this much rated frost free fridge freezer.

I would have to buy another freezer but obviously not Hotpoint!!!!!! Paying to repair it would simply be money down the drain.

Happyhomeowner's Response to zippiehippie's Review

Written on: 13/08/2012

I will never buy another Hotpoint appliance. After 8 years the gas has leaked from internal pipes which are impossible to access so it is a write-off. It seems quite dangerous as there is a buildup of flammable gas above a heater! The engineer said that they have built in obsolescence, my advice is don't buy!

“Hotpoint FFA60 drain blocked -solution”

Written on: 19/06/2011 by ChrisBonnert (1 review written)

We have been happpy with the fridge-freezer until very recently when my wife noticed some water collecting in the bottom of the fridge. She dicovered the drain hole at the back (inside the fridge part) was blocked. We tried a wire coathanger to unblock but was unsure whether there was a bend in the tube and did not want to force it. I scanned this website for clues and someone suggested using the wire track used for hanging old-style net curtains. Someone else suggested that the tube might be… Read Full Review

Guest's Response to ChrisBonnert's Review

Written on: 05/10/2011

I found this post having the same issue. After reading it I boiled a kettle, used paper towels to get rid of most of the water and an aluminium u shaped length I had lying around to pour the boiling water into the hole. It didn't clear so I poked around with some mains cable I had lying around then heated up a skewer, bent this into an appropriate shape and quite firmly started poking the bottom. Finally after twisting it round and round the fluid began to flow again. I think the exit hole is about 10-15cm down at the rear of the drain tube - picture a Letter L with the bottom part of the L pointing towards the rear of the fridge. Thank you post above!! Chris :)

Anthonyhilton's Response to ChrisBonnert's Review

Written on: 23/01/2013

We have the same fridge freezer and has been working very well for almost 10 years. Twice the drain pipe was blocked;the first time we blew it open (blowing by mouth through a plastic tube inserted into the drain inside the fridge). The second time the above method did not work and we had to use hot water and bicyle pump to dislodge a tubular icycle about 10 cm long. Recommended solution by Hotpoint of using bi-carbonate of soda, did not work. I think there is a fundamental design problem with the drain pipe. The lower part of the pipe where the S bend is located is too close to the freezer compartment and often sub-cools.

“Bought about 4 years ago. All shelves cracked, freezer...”

Written on: 15/05/2011 by Zannie (2 reviews written)

Bought about 4 years ago. All shelves cracked, freezer baskets cracked as they do not seem to cope with cold. Salad compartment cannot be used because anything that touchesthe bottom is in it gets frozen solid
bought this becasue hotpoint is supposted to be a good make but the plastic bits dont seem to be able to endure cold and so they crack which is surprising.
Didnt access fridge size properly and it is too small. In future I will be more careful about manufactures claims on size of fridges… Read Full Review

“I bought my FFA60 hotpoint fridge freezer 6 years ago....”

Written on: 24/05/2010

I bought my FFA60 hotpoint fridge freezer 6 years ago. The size was perfect for my kitchen with the balance between fridge and freezer good. The salad drawers and door bottle holder could have done with being a bit stronger. Over time the back water drainer failed to drain fully and water gathered and iced below the salad drawers but other than that no problems over the 6 years until now. Unfortunately now the compressor has broken and the gases have leaked, resulting in me having to buy a new… Read Full Review

Guest's Comment

Written on: 18/08/2011

I bought my hotpoint fridgefreezer 8 years ago , all well untill recently when the door seel has gone, not at all happy.would like to know if i can get a new seel and how much will it cost me.

“Useless piece of junk. The fridge is full of ice, have...”

Written on: 17/05/2010

Useless piece of junk. The fridge is full of ice, have to defrost it everyday as the drainage hole is always blocked. If you like frozen salad this is the fridge freezer for you!
I've been told it will cost £78 to "fix" so i'm off to buy a new one!… Read Full Review

“absolutely useless, frost-free ...”

Written on: 20/12/2009

absolutely useless, frost-free yes.......ice-free...never. I have a special spatula to dig the ice out from under the salad trays(not that you can use them as they freeze the salad) I've had to have it re-gassed, the pipes at the back changed twice and a general maintenance check when it wasn't getting cold enough. I have a curtain netting wire which I poke down the drain hole every week so I know it isn't blocked but it just can't cope with the water it makes and it backs up and freezes. I… Read Full Review

“The ffa60 looked very good compared to anything else...”

Written on: 07/12/2009

The ffa60 looked very good compared to anything else we saw at comet. But after 3 years the dreaded water drainage facility got blocked, and evey day we have to clean the water gathered at the bottom of the salad bowls with a cloth. And now after 6 years the bottle holder has broken and will cost £25 for a new one. We will never buy anything by hotpoint ever again. Hotpoint need to get their act together, and offer better products and customer service… Read Full Review

“I am actually on my way today to buy a new fridge...”

Written on: 13/08/2009 by Shakeelah (1 review written)

I am actually on my way today to buy a new fridge freezer after 6 years.My fridge started giving me problems after just 2 years of purchase,with the common problem of drainage at the back blocking up,puddles of water,cracked back interior panel,cracked salad boxes.It is unbelievable,considering i spent £380 6 years ago on a reputable HOTPOINT product which let me down so badly. I can't recommend this product… Read Full Review

“I've had a hotpoint FFA60 fridge freezer 4yrs now and...”

Written on: 09/08/2009

I've had a hotpoint FFA60 fridge freezer 4yrs now and the
only problem i've had with it is the fridge section keeps freezing up!!

The water does not drain away at the bass of the fridge like it should,
it just freezies up!!

The result is a build up of hugh lumps of ice at the back of the inside fridge section,which i have to clear at least once a week … Read Full Review

“I have had my Hotpoint fridge/freezer for 6 years and...”

Written on: 01/06/2009

I have had my Hotpoint fridge/freezer for 6 years and it has given good service but now the vent hole which drains the water from the fridge has blocked leaving puddles of water under the salad drawers. Bottle rack wasn't strong enough. That broke along the lugs which hold it in place after about 3 months… Read Full Review

“Bought the Hotpoint FFA60 'cos it looked good and...”

Written on: 07/04/2009

Bought the Hotpoint FFA60 'cos it looked good and fitted in the alcove. After 3 years the fridge doesn't really get cold enough, the freezer doesn't freeze properly even with the thermostat on full and fast freeze button depressed! All 3 shelves in the freezer have snapped/cracked and the door won't close. I have to wedge it shut with a large bottle of water!
Biggest mistake I ever made was buying a Hotpoint!… Read Full Review

Robthebrain's Comment

Written on: 01/04/2010

yes my freezer door wont shut shelves pushing. the door open useless wont buy hotpoint again. at to throw all my food away.

“Generally a good looking product but looks can...”

Written on: 14/07/2008

Generally a good looking product but looks can deceive, and in the case of the Hotpoint FFA60 I think they do. The bad points as highlighted above, poor design of bottle rack retaining lugs, causing the rack to fall off with contents, condenser / fan cover frosting up pushing the food containers forward preventing the freezer door from closing all coupled with poor customer support will now prevent me from being a repeat customer. Previous Hotpoint products have given good service, but this… Read Full Review

“Owned this appliance for over three years and its now...”

Written on: 19/11/2007 by trizaki (1 review written)

Owned this appliance for over three years and its now packed in, not good. My previous fridge freezer ( Candy I think) lasted 13 years and two house moves.
The design of the Hotpoint worked very well for us but its working parts are just not durable… Read Full Review

“A teething problem was food defrosting in the Hotpoint...”

Written on: 28/10/2006 by BigMike65 (2 reviews written)

A teething problem was food defrosting in the Hotpoint FFA60 freezer, caused, according to the service engineer, by a fan component not having been properly glued in place. It's a pity Hotpoint's quality control lets down what is otherwise a simple, well designed product, albeit not a premium quality item. Since then it's functioned perfectly, survived a house move and still looks OK. I bought a Hotpoint fridge because my Mum had one for 20+ years, but I guess that was in the old days when… Read Full Review

Sandra Colom's Response to BigMike65's Review

Written on: 05/02/2011

I found this review very helpful because...My Hotpoint FFA60 bought in January of 2006 is doing exactly the same since Last winter my husband cleared it all by taking the inside of the freezer apart because the water was not escaping into the water tray from either the fridge or the freezer it was absolutely fine then until this winter then it started again so we are again trying to free the ice build up in the fridge compartment. Roll on warmer weather and then perhaps it will be okay, but cannot stand the thought of another winter like this one (fridge Freezer Wise).