Gems TV Reviews

201
Gems TV - Ask a question now

“Quality, Returns, Selling Practices, ERVs, Grading and...”

Written on: 09/11/2016 by Malone273 (1 review written)

I wish to pre-empt this dissertation by saying I am not a jeweler, but I do have a jeweler friend who has looked at my pieces and given me some advice. I don't buy from him mainly because he deals in high-end, high-priced items which I cannot afford. I have taught myself about jewelry from information the hosts on Gemporia have provided, watching their programs diligently and surfing the internet for more detailed information from loose gemstone sites and the GIA. The following are just my… Read Full Review

“Gems TV, not so good quality ?”

Written on: 17/10/2016 by jzVaughn306 (1 review written)

Ive watched this show for the past 5 years. Ive brought lots from diamonds to plain silver chains. ive got some nice looking pieces, but ive also gotten some total rubbish. If you can get the lorique items then I imagine its quality, I cannot stretch to these budgets. Tanzanite and Emeralds are never as they look on screen IVE GOTTEN 2 EMERALD PIECES WHICH I LIKE BUT I KNOW NEITHER LOOK ANYTHING LIKE THEY DID ON TV.The presenters are pure salesmen!! not presenters. I also believe they have… Read Full Review

“Very poor”

Written on: 24/08/2016

The ring I was sent was nothing like the one shown on TV. The stones were dull and grey,instead of the sparkling zircon they were supposed to be. I am convinced that they have their show pieces made up for the TV and then send out smaller inferior rubbish. The call centre staff are so rude and offensive that it's almost funny! I'm very wary of buyimg anythimg else… Read Full Review

Vapidstoat's Comment

Written on: 01/10/2016

If they are sending out crappy jewellery but showing lovely stuff on screen, that's a crime.

A criminal offence you know.

Littlemisschatterbox's Comment

Written on: 18/10/2016

I can vouch for this. I've heard several of the presenters slip up and mention the phrase "studio samples" which to me would suggest they only use certain ones for doing a show plus some of them actually put an earring in which is a giveaway.

“Poor customer service”

Written on: 17/08/2016 by nbWilliamson92 (1 review written)

I purchased a diamond ring for my wife which was to big so went to get it resized the jeweller would not do it because ring was included told gems didn't want to know shortly after one of the diamonds fell,out told gems said out of warranty nothing they would do I believe this company is not so good at helping customers after they get your money I say shop with this company at your peril go to a recommended jeweller I will from now,on not these useless TV jewellers… Read Full Review

“Returns policy is a lie.”

Written on: 11/08/2016 by AugustBarker433 (1 review written)

Wife spent several grand a month there (and sister company Gem Collector). Returned a lot of items as were below quality portrayed. Some of their stuff is really nice for the money, some is complete dross. This disparity not always reflected in the pricing. Anyway, each month she kept several thousand quids worth of nice stuff, and returned the dross. 3 months in she had her account cancelled for returning too many items. Nothing about this limitation in their Ts and Cs. No warnings. No written… Read Full Review

Written on: 15/08/2016

It happened to me also. I was upset at the way they kept changing their Tanzanite grading system depending on the size of the stone. The last one I purchased was graded AA+ and they don't have that grading any more. It was over a carat and should have been graded AAA according to their system "at the time" and I gave them a hard time with it. Next thing I know, my account was cancelled even though I spend thousands of dollars over the last few years with them.

Now on top of everything else, they won't "PRICE PROMISE" when you purchase items in The Lounge. They've been doing it for 4 years here in the U.S. and now suddenly they're telling me they've been doing it wrong. What rubbish. They did re-instate me after about 6 months but now I'm not buying as much, especially since they won't price promise items on the Lounge that I purchased on The Lounge.

“Worst place to buy jewelry”

Written on: 13/06/2016

I have purchased ALOT of jewelry from different sources over the years (HSN, QVC, JTV,the old GemsTV when they had a TV studio in Nevada, Ebay, and Gems TV presently (Gemporia). In my opinion, GemsTV is the absolutely the worst place I have ever purchased jewelry. Every single piece I purchased was a disappointment - very thin bands, cracked stones, very included stones, missing stones, and/or stones that were set so extremely crooked it looked like a child set the stones in the rings… Read Full Review

Written on: 14/06/2016

I had surgery so there's not much for me to do at the moment and I got caught up in GemsTV on my computer again after being away for over a year.

I've read some of the recent comments here about the quality of their items and I have to agree. They are selling very poor quality stones right now. Whether it's because the source of the stones are becoming scarce or they just want to get rid of their inventory. I don't care. All I know is that its bad advertising and they're developing a bad rapport with their customers. Hence the bad rating here.

My recent purchases were a Ceylon Sapphire Pendant in 10k, Ceylon Sapphire solitaire ring in 10k, a 1/3 carat Diamond ring in 10k gold, an Zambian Emerald pendant in 10k and of course AA Tanzanite pendant in 10k.

The Ceylon Sapphires were almost completely white with just a tint of blue color.

The Emerald pendant was a nice size but cloudy with visible black spots compared to my Zambian rings I purchased when they first came to the U.S. as RocksTV.

The AA Tanzanite pendants were pale compared to my original purchases of Tanzanite from RocksTV back in 2012. The were much deeper in color on my computer screen and on both my TVs at home. Which tells me they are using some type of enhanced lighting or other technique to make the colors of the stones appear darker than they are.

The most disappointing of all was the 1/3 carat Diamond Ring in 10k gold. It was sold as being i1-i2 clarity but it was appalling. It was completely cloudy. It looked as if someone took a hammer and crushed it; there were so many cracks and inclusions in the center stone. These things were not seen when she presented the ring on the show. This tells me that they do pick the best of the lot to show their customers on TV. This would not necessarily be a bad thing as long as the rest of the pieces was up to mostly the same quality. All of my original purchases of diamond rings and pendants from 4 years ago are beautiful. And they were all i1 to i2 clarity.

I don't care if they're selling the items on the Gems Auction Room or on The Lounge. The quality of the items must be the same. The items being sold on The Lounge should only be there because the items are not selling as well or as quickly, not because they are of poorer quality, with the exception of the Refurb Hour. Even in the Refurb hour they show you, tell you up front what is wrong with the ring so you can make an educated decision on whether or not to buy.

If an item has been determined to be of poor quality because it's been returned, then it should be placed in their Outlet store, not returned into the mix for someone else to have to deal with and pay postage and handling twice. And all items in the Outlet store should have some type of description explaining any flaws.

Finally, if you sell something in gold, the quality of the gems should be the same whether it's 10k, 14k or 18k. The only differing factors should be in the cost of the gold content and the size and number of the stones.

My advice: Make sure you check the details on the item when they show it. Check for the clarity grade of the diamond. If it's any worse than i1 or i2, then it will not sparkle. Check for inclusions. Some stones that were presented on The Lounge, which normally would not be included, I found to be "heavily included" in the description which is why it was being sold so cheaply. Lastly, if you know of a specific area where stones were sourced from (i.e.,Songea Mines) that may give you an idea of the quality of the stones. Good Luck.

“Cheap and cheerful”

Written on: 11/03/2016 by melon w (4 reviews written)

Gem TV sells reasonable weight silver gemstone jewellery. The prices are not bad but when you physically get the item there is not much of a wow! |Ok for everyday jewellery but not much else… Read Full Review

“Gems tv sell and have sold gems, particularly rubies...”

Written on: 04/03/2016 by 191Upton (1 review written)

Gems tv sell and have sold gems, particularly rubies which are poor quality, and heavily flawed and included or filled under the guise of one of their designer names, suggesting they're worth thousands, selling them for hundreds or more. Their guarantee is supposed to BE UNCONDITIONAL, and tell you to wear it and show it off, yet they then expect the tag to be in tact! Pity their presenters can't mention this little gem of a fact during their over excited bull about their shoddy gems. As for… Read Full Review

Gobalot's Comment

Written on: 04/03/2016

I did include the link, but it's been removed, so maybe links aren't allowed on here, but you can just search company check for gems tv, then click on his name under the list of directors.

It's truly awful to be deceiving people in this way, I've just recorded a ruby they're selling, a Thai ruby, it was so scratched, with chips out of it, and even with the naked eye you could see the fillings!

They were actually comparing it to the quality of a burmese ruby! And sold it for £200!

“GEMPORIA VERY POOR QUALITY GEMS- DO NOT BUY FROM THEM ”

Written on: 26/01/2016 by qmMcKinney84 (1 review written)

I have brought many items from Gems TV or Gemporia (as they are also known) over the past year, including a diamond ring for £200.00. 8 months after I brought it I noticed a small diamond was missing from the shoulder. I assumed there would be a 12mths guarantee and my ring would be fixed. I checked their terms and conditions to discover they only give a 6mth guarantee! I rang them, in hope they would make an acceptation, as I've only worn the ring a few times. They refused saying their policy… Read Full Review

Gobalot's Comment

Written on: 04/03/2016

Have just posted a review myself, but they may not all it as I exposed the owner as being a bit a finger in pie man lol! He's even a director at argos! Tells you everything, takeva look here on his company check info.

He needs exposing tbh, so angry after I read about an old boy sending his late wifes expensive gems tv purchases off for appraisal, only to find they're a load of tat!

Last night a manager there (won't name his because he was honest) told me they have one good item out of a batch, and thats what the presenters go by, he said the rubies sold there are shoddy, and recommended I should never buy any coloured gems from then.

“Cloudy diamonds”

Written on: 20/09/2015 by Elvis600 (1 review written)

I ordered two rings and the diamonds in the first where shockingly cloudy.they looked like a milky shade and had no sparkle of rainbow colours at all. The second one was also very cloudy.I don't think I'd ever feel confident buying anymore diamond rings cause the quality is really poor… Read Full Review

“Great Customer Service”

Written on: 28/05/2015 by Irishblondie (1 review written)

Had a problem with diamond earrings, had them 10 months, sent them back after a discussion with customer services, delighted back today repaired. Have been buying for over 8 years from Gems and will continue in the knowledge we will be looked after if there is a problem. All the jewellery we have bought has been excellent and great value… Read Full Review

“Poor customer service!”

Written on: 13/05/2015 by taSheehan201 (1 review written)

I have been a customer with Gems TV for about 2 years and have a substantial collection of jewelly fom them within this timescale. The majority of items purchased I am pleased with, though I have bought items, especially earrings, where the stones have fallen out or arrived broken. My main issue is with their customer service; it is appalling. The staff are rude, unhelpful and act like they do not want to retain your business. I also believe that my account has been blocked for returning items… Read Full Review

Jeanette1956's Comment

Written on: 18/04/2016

I absolutely agree wih you. Some customer service staff are sooo smug wih their attitude, especially when they have found an excuse to not to honor their price pledge. Also I have found that the examples they show on tv are of higher quality than the ones they send out to you, in the case of stones like moonstone, stones with shillar/luster. I have spent £1000's on this sight but I may as well have spent £10 for all the respect I get.

“They'll CANCEL Your Account If You Ask Too Many Questions”

Written on: 07/02/2015 by Cierra351 (1 review written)

They'll Close Your Account Without Notice If You Return Too Many Items Some final points for your information I was told my account with The Genuine Gemstone Company was closed because I had "too many returns". Apparently, the OVER $5,000 I spent on jewelry in the past 2 years was not enough for them. Then on top of that, I had a credit on my account which they chose not to mention and I had to call them back to find out what happened to it. I was told I could still buy one last item to use… Read Full Review

Train43Lover's Comment

Written on: 25/10/2015

Brilliant report, nothing is ever a bargain if it needs to be pushed so hard and"Wowed" up by the sales team. I stopped buying from Gems because of the paper thin ear-ring settings and the "with diamonds" claim was a disappointment when seen at home and I realised they were like grains of sugar. Gems is on air to make money and NOT to give value for money; their studio lighting makes the items appear to sparkle more than they do in real life and the colour can be "adjusted" in this way too.

Nightstar7553's Comment

Written on: 10/02/2016

I totally agree but the consumer is beginning to fight back why they have to lie and mislead people is beyond me. Always take your jewellery to a jewellers and have it looked at these people are swindilers at best and the presenters know this and continue to sell these items to people who have worked very hard this industry needs a big overall we need more people reporting them and we want investigations and criminal chargers brought a fraud is a fraud we all need to fight back

“Lots of poor quality, sold in bulk. ”

Written on: 05/12/2014 by Deegan493 (1 review written)

Over the last 18 months I have purchased 3 different items, different gems, all of which fell well below expectation to the quality that had been on tv. I returned everything. Customer services called me twice, which is a nice touch to enquire why and if they could help. I politely explained that the items ( AA tanzanite earrings were very pale lilac not the blue that had been on tv) and ( sleeping beauty turquoise single stone pendant was badly marked and looked as if toothpaste had dribbled… Read Full Review

Written on: 07/02/2015

I AGREE WITH ALL YOU HAVE SAID.

ALSO, DON'T BELIEVE THEM WHEN THEY SAY THEY WON'T RAISE PRICES ON ITEMS MADE FROM ROUGH THEY PURCHASE A YEAR AGO. THAT IS AN OUT AND OUT LIE. I JUST SAW MY TANZANITE RING I PURCHASE OVER 2 YEARS AGO (SAME ITEM NUMBER) BEING SOLD FOR $100 MORE.

I definitely agree about the quality of their products. I also understand that they are in the business of selling. So you have to be aware that they will show the best of the lot on the TV. But it is poor business when the best one they show is the only one that has that depth of color. I have purchased many many Tanzanite and Anahi Ametrine items in the last 2-1/2 years and I have had to return many many items. In the beginning their AA Tanzanites could really have been considered AAA. The color was great. Then in this past year, I had to return many AAA that were no where near the AA stones I had purchased earlier. They seem to change their color grading system with the supply they have. I tried to argue with them over one item I purchased which they only graded AA+ yet it was over 1 ct and their policy a year ago was that anything over 1ct would be considered a AAA. Now that isn't true any more. I was furious and kept arguing with them. Now they looked at my account and said they are cancelling my account due to too many returns. Well, so what. You offer 30 day money back returns if I don't like the item. Your hosts even say "buy two or more" and keep the one that looks best to you and return the others. If I did that, that would also mean that I would return more than I bought. I still spent over $5,000 over the last 2 years of purchasing from this channel and I love what I did choose to keep, but I am pretty sure they did not like the way I was making them be up front about their grading system, so they cut ties with me.

Written on: 13/05/2015

You surely have the legal rights under consumer protection laws, of sending back everything if you want to.

Written on: 13/05/2015

I agree with what you have said about Tanzanite. I bought a ring advertised as Sterling Silver with blue stones depicted on the TV channel. When I received it, the stones were very pale lilac, and not really noticeable against the very dull 'silver'.

I have bought quite a few sterling silver rings from them and happy with them all (the ones I have kept, some I did not like I returned and refunded reasonably quickly) and all my sterling silver rings have '925' stamped on them.

The Tanzanite silver ring had no stamp, I told customer services and also about the pale lilac stones. Their response is they don't legally have to stamp unless the item is over so many grams of sterling silver, and the response to the depiction of dark blue stones on the TV channel and my receiving very pale lilac stones was that the ring was 'ungraded'. Unacceptable responses.

Despite that it was within the 30 day return limit customer services said I could return the ring, they might refund it out of goodwill or return it to me!

So, I felt obliged to keep it as I did not want to have to send it back and pay the postage, then find myself receiving the item back again and having to pay postage for that.

The 'silver' is very dull, so I tried to polish, masses of black coming off, used up two silver cleaning cloths and still masses of black on the silver.

So, I have started to doubt that it is real sterling silver and that it might be metal, hence no stamp, as all items of sterling silver I have ever bought off them have 925 at least stamped on (and I have some old items with hall marks).

As to the Tanzanite grading, I do believe it is their own grading system.. They do on about it on TV that it is so rare, if so, why are they always pushing it on TV?

I think the customer services are behaving not according to customers legal rights.

As an illustration of how customers rights should be applied is Amazon who will return and pay for postage both for if: A) item not the colour depicted on web site and B) if an item is dirty or tarnished and C) if you inform their customer services they will apologise.

“very poor customer service and quality dubious”

Written on: 17/10/2014 by Stephensonil377 (1 review written)

Customer service awful and the quality of the jewellery dubious, have bought expensive items no weight colour of stones dull. They closed my account because I sent some items back as the were not up to standard and been with them a long time. Poor ... Not recommended… Read Full Review

“Terrible customer service!”

Written on: 10/10/2014 by AmberKeller (1 review written)

Wanted to purchase a ring I saw on their website on my I pad however my husband wanted to pay for it on his mac, once logged into the website on the mac it said the ring was not available. I called the customer service number to inquire and a very indifferent man told me it must be out of stock very abruptly and in an unhelpful manner, I asked if he could check he did reluctantly and told me it was out of stock and although it was in the basket didn't mean it would go through. I was surprised… Read Full Review

“Show the real items and stop shining the lights to fool us”

Written on: 13/09/2014 by utMcBride18 (1 review written)

Sorry this is so long, but they need to know the kind of people they are making fools of. My daughter has gone off the rails a bit over the last few years. So at 49 I want to make sure my 9 year old granddaughter has a bit of a fall back when I'm gone and can't help her. I don't work now due to plates and pins in my left arm and leg and needing a knee replacement in my right knee that can't be done for another 6 or 7 years. All of which makes me unemployable, but not severe enough to claim DLA… Read Full Review

Written on: 15/09/2014

Dear Lady,
I understand what you mean with the lighting. I have been purchasing from RocksTV here in the U.S. for the last 2 years. When they first came on air here, I went a little loopy too because I thought there is no way you can sell this jewelry for these prices. So I did some self-educating. I purchased many, many pieces of all gemstones and I returned many, many pieces of gemstones. Over the last 2 years I have come to the realization that those first few months of watching and buying were sort of "come on" prices to get you involved. I have purchased many beautiful and rare gemstones that I will cherish. But now, as the months have gone by and turned into years, they have raised their prices across the board. They are trying to auction OLD Tanzanite stock at the higher prices. The Tanzanite quality has diminished. They use a "play on words" tactics to make you think you are getting the lowest price and I also think they darken or lighten the studio to make the gems look better than they are. At first, the studio lights were so bright, you couldn't make anything out and now it looks as if they have turned down the lights to make the pale stones look deeper than they are. I recently purchased 3 Tanzanite rings all of which are going back because they are paler than my original rings from 2 years ago. You really need to do the research to know what to look for. For example, Chrome Diopside comes from only one area, but my jeweler friend told me that only stones of 2 carats or larger are rare. Tanzanite maybe 1,000 rarer than diamonds, but in the future, only the large carat Triple As are what people will be fighting for. If you look on their website, they have over 1,000 designs of Tanzanite. If you go on Ebay, there are over 10,000 pieces of Tanzanite loose stones, not counting jewelry. The Top 5 gemstones are the best to invest in. Diamonds and gold will always be the main staple for investment. Rubies have to be blood red or of a high clarity to be valuable. Fissure-filled rubies can be found in any retail store. Siberian Emeralds are beautiful, but their color does not compare with Columbian or some of the better Zambian. With Emeralds it's the color that makes the value and then the clarity. Sapphire, you want to invest in good color Ceylon or make sure they are of a high clarity. I am sorry for your disappointment. I too have been disappointed many times with RocksTV but I have slowly educated myself and have cut back on my buying. Good Luck to you.

Libra65's Comment

Written on: 19/09/2014

Hi.
Thank you for your reply. I know exactly how you feel. I recently went into a well know jewellers in the town centre and they had an ungraded tanzanite ring that was considerably darker than the one off gems that's graded as a AAA. I wish I could post a picture shown on the website of the ring I bought and an actual photo I'd take myself. It's disgusting. This ring will be going back 1st thing Monday morning and from now on I'll take "everything" the presenters say with a pinch of salt and won't buy anything over £20.
The best of it is I've just received a message from feefo asking me to review the ring. Only trouble is, I don't think they'd publish my comment.
Good luck with future buying Hun.

“rip off company”

Written on: 02/09/2014 by carlajane123 (6 reviews written)

this company sell costume jewellery not real quality gemstones as they say i have just watched a programme on itv which clearly shows them in their real light even making up a new stone so they can rip off all the sad people who watch their tv programme real jewellers have for years fought to exclude these charletans from the trade as they devalue real stones with their false and ridiculous claims if you buy from these people just take item to your local jewellers and you will be laughed at… Read Full Review

Peony's Response to carlajane123's Review

Written on: 13/05/2015

I think they are de valuing jewellery, well de valuing gemstones. I only buy Sterling Silver off them, (in the past bought 9ct gold which tarnished and became pitted oer time, and one stone I found had a crack inside which I paid a lot of money for, so I never buy gold items off them).

I have some really nice pieces of sterling silver though off them, but these has deteriorated, so I have stopped buying from them. I told them so too! (They did not reply).

“Hands up if you remember Ratners jewellers?”

Written on: 12/08/2014

I have spent 1000s of pounds on Gems TV. Items look great. SOMETIMES THE GEMS FALL OUT. If gem falls out before 6 months they will refund your money after 6 months they can recommend a good jeweller to replace the missing gem at your cost? By 6 months the white gold has turned yellow but no guarantee after 6 months. 'I don't know who was the first person who said 'BUYER BEWARE'. I feel duped by this family run business! I don't know about protecting the consumer but I thought items sold… Read Full Review

Maisiebrent's Comment

Written on: 19/08/2014

Why are you spending loadsamoneyif you're dissatisfied?
Stop whingeing and take your money somewhere else if you're not happy.

Written on: 13/05/2015

This firm does take people in and you are not expecting an expensive item of jewellery to have the stones fall out either. I have some rings from years ago and the stones have never fallen out, but were not bought from this firm.

Written on: 13/05/2015

They have altered the 6 month guarantee, went down to 3 months, and now it is only 30 days according to their web site.

Jamesg1953's Comment

Written on: 12/12/2014

Here's what he said jewellery shop founder Gerald Ratner was taped confessing that his stores sold “total crap”.

“customer service was the best , but no more very rude!”

Written on: 08/08/2014 by jeff1968 (1 review written)

I brought a couple of ring recently but im evaluating whether to bother any longer, I had to return the AA tanzanite as it was not anywhere near the quality that the host had on ,or what I already own. I also brought a white quartz 25cts ring, loved the design but when I wore it for a few hours discovered that it annoyed me so much that decided I would ask if I could return it as I had removed the little tag. Both items were reviewed on the fee-fo site they are subscribed to, the same day they… Read Full Review

Kathy1225's Response to jeff1968's Review

Written on: 03/09/2014

Hello,
Yes, I agree with you about the color of their AA Tanzanites. I cannot tell you how many Tanzanite rings I have returned because they were not any where near the color of what was being shown on TV or my computer. I have three televisions at home, all different models, you would think one of them would provide an accurate color of my purchase. When I bought my first Tanzanite on RocksTV back when they first came on air in the U.S. 2 years ago, it was a beautiful deep color. Now I am returning many AA rings that are no where near that same color and they are still grading them AA. I also agree with you about the diamond rings. I learned early that you should NOT buy anything lower than an i1 or i2 grade. Once you go to i3 diamonds, they are too included to show any brilliance. It doesn't matter what color they are if they are so included that they don't sparkle. I have tried many, many times to get them to place the CLARITY grade of their diamonds on line. The Help Team tells me they are. But if you do a random search of some rings, only some have the clarity grade in the details. I do not want to discourage anyone from buying diamonds. If you can only afford a diamond in Sterling Silver and it makes you happy, then by all means make yourself happy.

Peony's Response to jeff1968's Review

Written on: 13/05/2015

The diamonds are poor quality, I never buy them off this company. I bought one off the old Gems Tv years ago, SI grade and it is fabulous, flashes yellow and blue and is admired by people. I would not buy diamonds off this firm though as I noted on TV that they are poor grades of diamonds, so won't have much sparkle in them. I think they have them certificated as a ploy.