Sony DCR-PC120 Reviews

• Video Quality

• Sound Quality

• Battery Life

Summary

Digital
Mini Dv
Sony DCR-PC120 - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Sony DCR-PC120

“help”

Written on: 30/11/2012

I would like some help please tell me where i can get some info on my dcr 120 E handycam camcorder the problem is when i put the cassette in there's a ejec sign keeps flashing and it wont work, thanks… Read Full Review

Mrpaul64's Comment

Written on: 04/05/2013

It means the door is not closing completely.. When you open it and then close it, Close it tight... contact me if you need a manual.

Sony DCR-PC120

“The mmodel i bought some five years ago,is still...”

Written on: 09/01/2010

The mmodel i bought some five years ago,is still giving me good results and a lot of pleasure.I only regret one thing:I should have bought her sister DCR-320 model.THANKS SONY… Read Full Review

Sony DCR-PC120

“I bought this camera 2 years ago, and have been using...”

Written on: 24/08/2005 by arthust (2 reviews written)

I bought this camera 2 years ago, and have been using it quite a lot since, and I must say, it's a very good camcorder.
I have made many trips with it, and I'm the kind of guy that uses his camcorder in almost every situation possible. I have filmed quite a lot on skis, shooting my friends jumping or skiing, sometimes at quite high speeds, and never had any problem while shooting in cold weather (even VERY cold...). The stabilization may not be perfect, so I use a home made steadycam system… Read Full Review

Sony DCR-PC120

“Having used these Sony DCR-PC120 digital camcorders,...”

Written on: 21/05/2004 by steveb1968 (1 review written)

Having used these Sony DCR-PC120 digital camcorders, and their predecessors at a research and development facility for over 3 years now, I deceided to buy one myself. The pc120e was and still is the best camera i have ever used. although the ccd will be dated now, the photographs which are taken to the memeory stick are still very good quality compared to the competition. however, i was dissapointed by the bluetooth 'inconnectivity' of this unit. it seems that you need to buy a proprietry bit… Read Full Review

Sony DCR-PC120

“Wonderful camera, full of features. Quality of video...”

Written on: 30/07/2003 by Welly. (1 review written)

Wonderful camera, full of features. Quality of video is amazing for a 1 CCD camera. It does exactly whats required of it and despite the faults I've mentioned below, I wouldn't change the camera for anything, except perhaps a VX2000 or Cannon XM-2 :)

The stills camera is terrible at low light, even with the flash. The flash is far too powerful and tends to take snaps where the person is far far overexposed. Bluetooth is a bit of a gimmick. Nice idea but the Bluetooth feature could have been… Read Full Review

Sony DCR-PC120

“I have not yet perchased the PC120 yet, but after...”

Written on: 15/07/2003 by kja. (1 review written)

I have not yet perchased the PC120 yet, but after reading the reviews I am definately going to invest in one. The price is of course expensive, but the price reflects it's features and allround good reviews. I have shopped around for good prices-I found that the camcorder is relatively the same price allround, but take more considerations on accessories as these vary considerably. I agree with the comments made about the bluetooth function-it is near to useless. Once I have the PC120, i can't… Read Full Review

Sjh's Response to kja.'s Review

Written on: 10/01/2004

What kind of person posts a review of a product that they haven't even used?

Sony DCR-PC120

“All in all...I love the Sony DCR-PC120. The quality of...”

Written on: 27/05/2003 by Dullwit. (1 review written)

All in all...I love the Sony DCR-PC120. The quality of outdoor shots is as good as it gets. I've mixed in some video shot for my work, taken on the Sony PC120e with some shots taken on a 3 chip Pro Camera..and you'd never know..honest!

BLUE TOOTH: Ditch that Sony and increase the megga Pixel rateing of the digital stills to 2mb and or above..and I recon you'd sell millions of these babys!… Read Full Review

102537_Plasma.'s Response to 101685_Dullwit.'s Review

Written on: 30/05/2003

Sony wont ditch Bluetooth an they wont give you a bigger Memory Stick than the 8mbs, but with the new DVR-TRV80 you've got your 2m pixel stills.
<br>I owned a DVR-TRV50 which cost £1200 when I bought
<br>it in November. Listed price was £1400. The 80 is a distinct upgrade and I can get it for £899! Shows what can be done by the manufacturers.
<br>Whilst nearly all of the menus are viewed and accessed through the touchscreen it really needs protection against glare. Like all LCDs it needs an innovation that will allow a small surrounding umbrella like hood to be expanded around the screen when required, to shade against the sun.

Sony DCR-PC120

“My view on the brand as a whole has been expressed in...”

Written on: 22/01/2003 by Leo YL. (1 review written)

My view on the brand as a whole has been expressed in 'Good Points' box above… Read Full Review

97590_Chuck.'s Response to 67160_Leo YL.'s Review

Written on: 13/05/2003

What is this doing in your review listing. It isn't a review at all. In fact, he says he "hasn't yet made use of it." You wasted my time.

100459_Harry.'s Response to 67160_Leo YL.'s Review

Written on: 22/05/2003

this review is totally useless

Sony DCR-PC120

“I bought my camera to be used on vacations and for...”

Written on: 06/01/2003 by jumpinduo.com. (1 review written)

I bought my camera to be used on vacations and for skydiving. For skydiving, it will be mounted to my helmet and will be with me in freefall. Every skydiver I know swears by the Sonys due to their reliability and keeps-on-tickin manners. I just got back from 11 days in Mexico with my PC120 and it worked flawlessly with my UV filter to protect the lens and a 128MB memory stick which I ended up with 160 photos and still had room for more. I would recommend this camera to anyone. However, I… Read Full Review

Sony DCR-PC120

“The 120BT Camcorder takes excellent quality shots with...”

Written on: 08/08/2002 by Ed. (1 review written)

The 120BT Camcorder takes excellent quality shots with good to excellent color and white balance in all modes. The sound reproduction is amazing for such an odd placed microphone and can be greatly enhanced with a small mixer and external mike. on a video foray the blue tooth is so very handy to grab my emails and such at airports and hotels that I can drop carrying my Handheld and/or find a web-cafe, albiet , there is still a way to go for the Blue Tooth technology before it is truly usefull… Read Full Review

Ylliu.'s Response to 32364_Ed.'s Review

Written on: 15/01/2003

It is quite helpful but wish that more detail and
technical details were made available.

Sony DCR-PC120

“I would like to know from those of you that bought the...”

Written on: 06/08/2002 by SD. (1 review written)

I would like to know from those of you that bought the PC120, how often do you use the network Bluetooth function and is it any good? I have a PC115 (import) which doesn't have bluetooth. All other features are same as PC120. Am I missing out on a lot or is it just as simple to connect the USB and transfer my files that way?… Read Full Review

32295_Dru.'s Response to 32109_SD.'s Review

Written on: 08/08/2002

Dont waste your money on it. The only people who think bluetooth is a good idea are Sony and People with no PC and loads of dosh/patience for the incredibly slow and expensive uploads

Sony DCR-PC120

“For Everyone. Don't buy expensive camcorders. We...”

Written on: 03/05/2002 by sunny. (1 review written)

For Everyone. Don't buy expensive camcorders. We bought a Sony DCR PC 120E and it was completely dead by sudden single splash of water. Manufacturer warranty does not cover for water… Read Full Review

Atef Al-Asssraj.'s Response to 22221_sunny.'s Review

Written on: 30/05/2002

Is there an Electronic Device which will not be effected by a water splash other than diving devices?

106224_Vab.'s Response to 22221_sunny.'s Review

Written on: 11/06/2003

Condensation! I rather glossed over this part quickly because like many first time camcorder owners, you're bogged down trying to figure out what all the features are. I have been reading more on this on the internet and there is not much in the manual. And I've read some of the reviews here about the water problem. Man, I almost think there should be some sort of auditory alarm that goes off to really warn you of this problem...let alone some small tiny flashing light that may or may not go off right away. If you got some big event to film and the camera won't work...man you are in deep, deep...trouble...particularly if you are getting paid and it is an event that can only be filmed once. I now feel that maybe I should stock up on several other realiable camcorders for backup...I wonder which ones those would be!

100835_Farhad.'s Response to 22221_sunny.'s Review

Written on: 23/05/2003

Many thanks for your review. It has taken me very long time to save a deposit for this camera to buy. But your comment obviously made me to look at other makes and models. I also do not need lots of functions that would be useless for an average guy, that will take films occasionally from parties and gatherings. I also will need a good manual with the camcorder I have to buy. Many thanks again to make people aware.

88551_Aussie Spirit.'s Response to 22221_sunny.'s Review

Written on: 13/04/2003

For someone carrying such a perfect instrument, common sense would suggest that water, any WATER
<br>!! would cause malfunction. I had no problems with the manual, maybe a Panasonic or JVC is more of your level.

Sprecks57.'s Response to 22221_sunny.'s Review

Written on: 22/03/2003

<p>Hi all,
<br>I just read Dan Y's comment. I just bought the 120e and am more then happy with it.<br>
<br>
<br>But what I was wondering: <b>Is there any Underwatercase for the DCR-PC120?</b> If yes could please someone post me a link?
<br>Thanks a lot
<br>Sprecks57</p>
<br>
<br>P.S: Sorry guys but if you're not able to use an electronic device like a miniDV cam it's your fault and don't blame Sony because they did a perfect job. wondering why its broke when getting wet??? come on...are you wondering why you're dead when you drop your hair dryer in the hot tub while you're in it??

63500_Dan Y.'s Response to 22221_sunny.'s Review

Written on: 08/01/2003

Sorry for the loss of you camera but repair is possible I would guess. I use the PC-110 in an underwater video housing (about 25 hours of tape shot). As you know, salt water is an electrolyte and crossive and _one_ well placed drop can be the end of these complex devices. For such catistrophic failure I assume that the "splash" was salt water. It may have survived a few drops of freshwater. If it was a fresh water splash then it must have been a big splash. Do you have coverage under your homeowners policy?
I agree that there are features that are not used much and wish that I didn't have to pay for them. My guess is that SONY (like the others) is trying to distinguish their products from the compeitors as those miniDVs have the same features. Note that Sony's professional top-of-the-line miniDV, the VX2000, has most of the same bells and whistles. Most users at that level are editing off line anyway.
The still image mode on the 110 provides about 1100 by 900 resolution. If one is careful and is happy with smaller prints, 8x6 inches, the still frame is very adequate and useful. The 120 provides even more resolution.

Andreas.'s Response to 22221_sunny.'s Review

Written on: 06/01/2003

Have had a PC120 for one month now and Sony really needs some critics about this camera. The camera is stuffed with functions most people will never need. The manual is as mentioned complicated much because many advanced functions are hard to use and also have a whole rulebook on what functions can be combined. The camera has several functions to make it a still image camera. Sony could have droped that concept, quality is not even close to a digital still image camera. Obviously the camera makes very bad still images with heavy distortion in the form av a pattern, if you zoom in at the pictures they look almost painted. The camera has a problem controlling the flash. Short distance with flash makes really bad images. Several controllers that needs to be controlled with a parameter has only a few options, most silly is the intervall frame recording that would be much fun to experiment with if it wasn't the limit with only a few preprogrammed intervals. Same for the flash that can be controlled but only in three steps. Manual focus is really hard to use and automatic focus is sometimes very slow especially when it's not so much light. OK I warned you. This critics is made with the experience from only this camera. I have not used other simular products. Try it before you bye it.

53679_Sunny.'s Response to 22221_sunny.'s Review

Written on: 26/11/2002

Hi All,
This is regarding an earlier review I had posted, on this camcorder, and the "sudden death" of my PC120. I want to give some more details of what happened.
I had not written my review to establish Sony's liability in the case of the water splash on my PC120. I'm sure Sony are much too smart (for people like me) in concealing all the right kind of disclaimers in the fine print of their instruction manuals.
In fact, the manual itself is horrible. You have to use a magnifying lens to go through the instructions which are poorly laid out trying to accommodate 2 langauges on each page.
According to manual an indicator should flash whenever moisture condensation happens. In my case, there was NO SUCH INDICATION! I think this is an important feed back for a potential buyer.
When you buy your expensive camcorder, with a lot of funky features which you are only beginning to understand, you are exposed to a lot of nice glossy, pictures and hype, and somewhere, buried in a trilingual instruction manual, there is some fine printed warning about water or rain. To me it came as a GREAT BIG SHOCK that such an expensive camcorder, with all those funky features went COMPLETELY DEAD with a SINGLE SPLASH of water.
I'm sure there are a lot of people like me who get fooled by what info is highlighted and hyped, and what info is concealed and buried. By highlighting my experience, I was only hoping to help at least few people.

32294_Dru.'s Response to 22221_sunny.'s Review

Written on: 08/08/2002

The DCR-120 is a brick anyhow.

Fclage.'s Response to 22221_sunny.'s Review

Written on: 07/08/2002

Honestly. You give a bad review to a good camera, just because you've smashed yours ? What kind of review is that ? Are you trying to say that the Sony PC-120 isn't waterproof ? If so, we already know that... and it's in the manual as well.

26599_Ed.'s Response to 22221_sunny.'s Review

Written on: 05/06/2002

What's a "SPLASH" As an Underwater Videographer I can assure you that given the right amount of water in the right place ALL cameras will FTF (Fail to Function)

Sony DCR-PC120

“The Sony DCR-PC120 is without doubt a great digital...”

Written on: 12/03/2002 by Mike. (1 review written)

The Sony DCR-PC120 is without doubt a great digital camcorder. The automatic mode is great, which is lucky because the ergonomics of controlling focus and exposure are nowhere near as good as on earlier models such as the pc10. The less used features like nightshot and flash mode fall easily to hand but the tools for semi serious control of video are a struggle to reach… Read Full Review

Sony DCR-PC120

“I bought this Sony DCR-PC120 digital camcorder after...”

Written on: 22/01/2002 by Maff. (1 review written)

I bought this Sony DCR-PC120 digital camcorder after having my Digital8 camera stolen. I looked at the IP7 and after reading a review decided against it. The camera is really comfy to hold, it isn't as heavy as the PC110 or 100. The controls are all easily accessible once you get used to holding the camera. The zoom function takes a little getting used to as it is very sensitive. I am used to the nightshot and it is the same as my old D8. I like the fact that digital effects can be added on… Read Full Review

14276_Craig.'s Response to 10234_Maff.'s Review

Written on: 28/02/2002

Very helpful, thank you.

Pappu's Response to 10234_Maff.'s Review

Written on: 24/09/2004

Hi I have a Sony 120E, can anyone tell me how to transfer the movies I have on tape to my PC so that I can burn DVDs later?
<br>I am running Win XP and it has picked up the device but do I need special s/w for it?
<br>Also, I use the USB cable supplied with the camera for uploading images from the memory stick, will the samme cable do?
<br>thnx

94108_Frank.'s Response to 10234_Maff.'s Review

Written on: 02/05/2003

Found out this camcorder has been discontinued
<br>on a website. A replacement MIGHT be coming
<br>out soon, PC130. Does anyone have any information
<br>on tbis model. The website said new models usually apear outside the USA first like Japan
<br>and the Far East.

Ml.'s Response to 10234_Maff.'s Review

Written on: 28/03/2003

Do you use a PC or a Mac...?

76280_Lj.'s Response to 10234_Maff.'s Review

Written on: 28/02/2003

I am trying to decide on a camcorder to buy for my athletic team. I want to make a highlight video for the athlete to send to college coaches for recruiting purposes. I want to be able to save this video on a DVD or be able to have the option of sending through email or even put in on a website for college coaches to view. I know I have to be able to connect this camcorder to a computer in order to do this. Is this possible with the PC120? Or does anyone know what I should buy?

71631_Steve.'s Response to 10234_Maff.'s Review

Written on: 09/02/2003

It is very helpful in helping me choosing the right camcorders but i made a huge mistake as to get one from Japan which means the whole camera is in Japanese language. Does anyone know if i can change the language in the menu somehow, i have already got hold of the manual in English and got pretty detail picture of the english version but really would help if i can change the language of the operating system inside the camera :)

G*zu$.'s Response to 10234_Maff.'s Review

Written on: 06/02/2003

Yes I have two words about the Canon MVX2i, and that is -> Stay away !!! I just bought this camera and it took me 10 minutes to figure out that this thing is going straight back to the deeler. That's why I'm here. The Canon MVX2i has all the features and inputs/outputs that you could need but.....this thing is so noisy when it's operating !!!... rendering it litterally useless and worthless !! It's internals are so noisy that it gets picked up by the mic and sounds terrible in playback ! And I don't mean just a little, you hear it clearly !! I wouldn't give one dollar for this thing. Also they don't include a firewire cable, but that is NOT why I'm writing this. I couldn't care less about that cable, but the camera is useless unless you don't need sound on your videos. I did try to find a review on the internet before I bought it, but could not find anything. But then after I ordered it (a day before I received it)I read a review in a magazine (don't remember the name of it...sorry) and they stated exactly the same. You have to use an external mic in order to make use of this camera. Is that unbelievable or what ?? I mean CANON !??! If that's not enough I also found it quite bulky to hold and the zoom button should be placed a little more "backwards" on the camera.
<br>
<br>Hope this helps some of you. For me the MVX2i was a terrible experience...

62411_Caz.'s Response to 10234_Maff.'s Review

Written on: 04/01/2003

Like JC, I am also desperately trying to decide between the PC120 and the Canon MVX2i so is there anyone out there that can make the decision for us??!!

58539_Jc.'s Response to 10234_Maff.'s Review

Written on: 17/12/2002

I am trying to decide between the Sony DCR-PC120 and the Canon MVX2i.
Has anyone made a comparison between both?

58416_Amit.'s Response to 10234_Maff.'s Review

Written on: 16/12/2002

There is USB to download still pics and small mpegs from the memory stick. To download DV movies onto your PC, you need to use the firewire port and a suitable software. The camera comes with an application MGI WAVE for Windows, but it is quite difficult to use.

Jud.'s Response to 10234_Maff.'s Review

Written on: 15/12/2002

Good review - was really unsure between the IP7 and this model. Would still like to know if this model has a USB1 connection like the IP7 so I can connect it to my laptop and download movies onto my website via broadband connection.

46821_Maff.'s Response to 10234_Maff.'s Review

Written on: 29/10/2002

I will be using the Bluetooth feature later this week (just ordered a bluetooth mobile phone to email pictures from abroad) and will review it for you.

46800_Amit.'s Response to 10234_Maff.'s Review

Written on: 29/10/2002

Your summary is very helpful, thank you.

46419_Bob.'s Response to 10234_Maff.'s Review

Written on: 27/10/2002

PC110 has larger lens than PC101.
PC115 has better CCD & 1.5 Mpic still photos;
PC120 also called PC120BT has Blue Tooth, a feature probably a waste of money.

45753_Amit.'s Response to 10234_Maff.'s Review

Written on: 23/10/2002

Thank you for the information. I got partially what I needed to know.

I am looking at the Sony dv camcorders and I am still confused about the basic differences between the following models

DCR-PC101
DCR-PC110
DCR-PC115
DCR-PC120

Can anyone summarize or has a preference on one over the other?

35224_Alex.'s Response to 10234_Maff.'s Review

Written on: 28/08/2002

Yes thanks for the review. I am going through the fact-finding process of buying a digital camcorder, and it's nice to read a review that tells me what I want to know.