Minolta X-700 Reviews

• Photograph Quality

Summary

Manufacturer: Konica Minolta
Features:
  • Programmed automatic or manual exposure
  • Camera body only; lens sold separately
  • Programmed auto flash
  • Date/time imprinting
  • Exposure override up to 2 stops
  • ? Ask our helpful community of experts about this product or company
    Minolta X-700 - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Minolta X-700

Showing star rating of:

(cancel refinement)
    ☆☆☆☆☆

“I had my X-700 freeze up on me after less than a year...”

Written on: 10/06/2003 by camerabuff. (1 review written)

I had my X-700 freeze up on me after less than a year of use. This is when I began to read about others problems with the camera on photo.net, so I sold it with no regrets. Here's the reality:"My X700 also suddenly stopped working and had to have the electronics replaced. I had it repaired under warranty, and I ran only a few rolls through it and it died again. Same symptoms.." "I had it [X-700] about a year. Made in China. Was taking a timer picture of me. High humidity in the New England… Read Full Review

Eamon's Response to 106013_camerabuff.'s Review

Written on: 03/01/2004

Very surprised to see this review as I've had an X-700 for about 8 years with no problems! In fact, it's so good I've recently bought a second body so that my wife and I can share the same set of lenses.
    <br>The two really strong points for the X-700 are:
    <br>i. full manual control, if you want it, or programme mode if you don't;
    <br>ii. a very wide range of excellent quality but reasonably priced lenses and accessories readily available on the second hand market.

182950_Jg's Response to 106013_camerabuff.'s Review

Written on: 01/02/2005

Same sort of problems with the M 700. You load a roll of film and it will not wind. No led's are lit in the viewfinder and no shutter. My Two 700s have the same problem. DEAD

175565_Vijjy's Response to 106013_camerabuff.'s Review

Written on: 31/10/2004

I have been using Minolta X-700 since 1992. Fully satisfied. No problems till a week. The shutter release is not working. Could be due to non-use for a long time (more than 6 months I suppose) or some other problem. Learned from some web sites that this problem is be due to a bad capacitor. Trying to get it in India.

Rgrames's Response to 106013_camerabuff.'s Review

Written on: 02/08/2004

It occurs to me that the wide range of experiences described by users here may relate to the place of manufature of the camera. Mine was made in Japan over sixteen years ago, and has performed flawlessly. This one was made in China. Would be interesting to learn if that is the difference.

Teddy99's Response to 106013_camerabuff.'s Review

Written on: 19/07/2004

I agree entirely with your comments. My X700 has had little use, but up to last year behaved perfectly. I have always been pleased with the results.
    <br>Now the camera is totally unreliable. Just over a year ago the shutter became sluggish and froze. It was sent to Minolta (UK) for repair. Half way through the FIRST film since repair, the same thing happened again! Camera sent back for repair under warranty, then at the end of the SECOND film since repair, the wind on mechanism has jammed. This happened after removing the film.
    <br>Bear in mind that this camera is like new and has been very well looked after, now it appears to be a load of junk. I have loads of lenses and dedicated flash etc. Do I get it repaired again, or do I scrap it?

☆☆☆☆☆

“I don't know too much about cameras and when I got my...”

Written on: 12/09/2002 by Cory. (1 review written)

I don't know too much about cameras and when I got my Minolta X-700 35mm SLR camera I was very happy with it for about a year. I went on vacation and came back with negatives that were half exposed. It turns out that the shutter magnets went and once that happens you can get it fixed but it will keep happening every six months or so for the rest of your camera's life… Read Full Review

50831_Jonnyo.'s Response to 37439_Cory.'s Review

Written on: 14/11/2002

I have had my camera for 2 years and have had no malfunctions whatsoever, save my own incompetence

Verytallguy's Response to 37439_Cory.'s Review

Written on: 30/07/2004

I bought my X-700 when it first came out on the market in 1985(?) it is still in constant use today...19 years later. I have a digital camera, that is good for snap shots, but the quality photos still come from the X-700.

105990_Robby.'s Response to 37439_Cory.'s Review

Written on: 10/06/2003

Actually, I'm not surprised you had trouble with this camera. Minolta has one of the poorest reliablity records of all the camera brands and the X-700 is one of the worst cameras for malfunctions ever made. Minolta eventually stopped making them just so they wouldn't have to deal with the warranty returns (or have to keep making parts. A real dog of a camera!

Rgrames.'s Response to 37439_Cory.'s Review

Written on: 21/12/2002

I suspect the person who told you that really wanted to sell you a new camera. I have used Minolta cameras for over 25 years. The X-700 is the best. It has been rock solid for 15 years needing only occasional cleaning. Even the black coating on the body has held up well. Sorry you got talked out of a great camera.