Audi A2 1.6 FSi Reviews

• Performance

• Practicality

• Reliability

Audi A2 1.6 FSi - Ask a question now

“The Audi A2 1.6 FSi suffers from mechanical probs. ”

Written on: 26/06/2009

The Audi A2 1.6 FSi suffers from mechanical probs… Read Full Review

“The Audi A2 looks nice - economical - good tax. My car...”

Written on: 06/05/2009 by Brightlady (1 review written)

The Audi A2 looks nice - economical - good tax. My car has been back to the garage at least 4 times. It has had switches, water pump, expansion bottle top, numerous coils and fan and valves replace.
It still continues to stall, sound like a truck, no power or loses power. Runs constantly hot and has 1 litre of water put in coolant system every other day.
It is going into the garage again tomorrow. They are completely baffled and sick to death of seeing it.
Needless to say I wouldnt recommend… Read Full Review

“The dreaded engine management light!! Haha this is on...”

Written on: 27/04/2009 by kates4261 (1 review written)

The dreaded engine management light!! Haha this is on all the time in my 2003 Audi A2 1.6 FSi. The garage where it came from did a full engine rebuild and still could not detect a fault. so they decided the fault was with the warning light!! but they weren't allowed to disconnect it. I also no have brake pad warning light coming on every time I go over a bump. Sure enogh I went it to get my brakes checked and was told that they are fine, nothing wrong with them. Ever so slightly worried… Read Full Review

“We've got a Audi A2 1.6 FSi and it's a great car, but...”

Written on: 04/11/2007 by Tony Donnelly (1 review written)

We've got a Audi A2 1.6 FSi and it's a great car, but service costs are very high in my opinion… Read Full Review

245194_Ceefor's Response to Tony Donnelly's Review

Written on: 04/12/2007

I agree that Audi Service costs are VERY high.
<br/>There is an answer (although if you have outstanding warranty it will invalidate it). Find an independent Audi / VW specialist - there are plenty about! I use one for my 03 reg A2 1.6 FSi and his labour costs are approx.1/3 of a registered dealer (c.£35 / hour versus anything from £85 up to £100 / hour)!
<br/>The garage owner is an VW trained techy and his two operatives are Audi trained. I was worried about engine management software but as the A2 is now a discontinued model all the software releases, safety updates and troubleshooting manuals are apparently available to independents (providing they subscribe to VW / Audi). For piece of mind, he only uses genuine Audi / VW parts - still expensive; but for a service labour will be at least 60% of the bill.
<br/>Further help and advice is readily available via the A2 owners club - look it up on the web (www.A2OC).

“I've had my car for nearly 3 years and have never had...”

Written on: 24/09/2007 by Sam207 (1 review written)

I've had my car for nearly 3 years and have never had any problems until now. It sometimes does not start on the first go and then takes at least another 3+ attempts to get it started. I took it to a garage and they said they can't identify the problem until it gets worse. They recommended a clean out of the petrol tank which was not guaranteed to overcome the problem… Read Full Review

Black Ghost 7's Response to Sam207's Review

Written on: 26/09/2007

I don't know about this, but perhaps go to the forums on here and ask the question?

“The A2 is a groundbreaking design incorporating lots...”

Written on: 13/02/2007 by ceefor (1 review written)

The A2 is a groundbreaking design incorporating lots of new technology. It looks good and is built to Audi standards of finish.
Mine is the 1.6FSI - the engine is lively and returns excellent MPG (average mixed motoring 44mpg+). However, I have had a specific problem with a failed crank engine sensor which "went" on the motorway with no warning - this caused the car to stall and restart - this has caused engine management problems and a burnt out catalytic converter. Total cost of repairs was… Read Full Review

“I fell in love with my Audi A2 from the moment I first...”

Written on: 03/07/2006 by dwooding (1 review written)

I fell in love with my Audi A2 from the moment I first drove it. I had changed jobs and needed a practical car that was economical, could carry all my design stuff and display equipment, my dogs and also be different enough to look at. The A2 has all of that and more the build quality is exceptional the climate control is a godsend (go for climate over air con any day) the driving position is perfect (I am 6ft 3 and it's the most comfortable car I have owned). The boot is huge I can leave a lot… Read Full Review

“I have had my Audi A2 1.6 FSi from new since January...”

Written on: 23/09/2005 by arketek1 (1 review written)

I have had my Audi A2 1.6 FSi from new since January 2003. I love the drive, the look, and the feel. However, my Audi experience is tainted. I was was led to believe that when you buy into the Audi brand you buy into quality, I was wrong. I began driving my A2 with gusto, proud to be driving a car that is reputedly a well designed piece of engineering, with lots of original features, which it has.

Two weeks into my ownership and my Audi experience started to go down hill. My car developed a… Read Full Review

Ole Man Mose's Response to 211276_arketek1's Review

Written on: 01/04/2006

Regretfully doubtless an accurate review.
<br>
<br>We have also had electrical problems, a new ECU and then the indignation of needing another one after less than 4 months, to be told by Audi 'Customer Service' that we have to pay as the last one was under warranty, therefore does not enjoy the 12 months AUDI warranty we would have had if we had paid for the last one ourselves! Any suggestions from anyone, please as we thought we were buying a reliable car, which had excellent support back up. Regretfully this does not seem to be the case.
<br>Martin
<br>martin@exportsales.net

Symonz's Response to 211276_arketek1's Review

Written on: 05/02/2010

I found this review very helpful as I too own an Audi A2, 1.6 FSI SE, (2003)
<br/>Although my car has had a few problems, New Indicator Relay, and one mini Coil pack, these are minor problems.
<br/>Try to find a Local garage that specialises in Audi/VW, you can have your car serviced by them at a far cheaper price with original parts.
<br/>an example is:
<br/>Cambelt, Audi &pound;400 not including water pump(+&pound;100) total &pound;500
<br/> Local Garage &pound;320 INCLUDING WATER PUMP including Labour
<br/>Service, Audi &pound;230
<br/>Local Garage &pound;130.
<br/>when I bought my car the discs looked a bit shabby, A local Motor Factor provided me with 4 discs and 4 pairs of Pads for &pound;120, it will take you an afternoon of your precious labour but well worth the money saving
<br/>Mini Coils are &pound;29 direct from any Audi dealer.
<br/>All I can suggest is to shop and Phone around.
<br/>

288743_Steven28's Response to 211276_arketek1's Review

Written on: 11/05/2007

Hi i have read the following review as i have also had problems with my a2.
<br/>Funny as I have had the very same problems in every way. My Audi however was showing no problems on the engine management system. It also had a very distinctive flat spot up to 3000 rpm, but was identified as the air inlet meter that cost me £200. The car seems to be getting better however when I start the car it seems to be having problems finding its idle speed.

249619_Msdalek1712's Response to 211276_arketek1's Review

Written on: 03/07/2006

I totally agree with the comments above. We got our A2 1.6 FSi Colour Storm 30th November 2005. We were impressed with the style, image, quality and initially, the performance of the car but not for very long. After about a month or so, the dreaded engine management light started to come on. After a trip to our local Audi dealer, it was diagnosed that the car needed a new thermostat. After this was rectified, the car came back with a coolant leak. We took the car to an independent garage (as we were cheesed off by Audi by this point) and we were told that the seal on the coolant overflow tank cap had not been replaced when Audi had done the initial repair. There have also been another THREE times that the engine management light has come on and we were driving home a couple of nights ago - AND GUESS WHAT - the dreaded engine management light has come on AGAIN!! We had originally been considering upgrading to an Audi A3 but certainly not any more! Audi - well, all I have to say is, less of "Vorsprung durch Technik" and more of "Vorsprung durch Krapnik!!" We will NEVER again buy an Audi! Ours is going to be sold as soon as possible to the next gullable customer. The VW/AUDI Group are always boasting about their present day quality and reliability. Compare our A2, which we have had for just 7 months, with my husband&#039;s MK2 Golf GTI, which he has had since 1991 and has NEVER let him down. I have a Rover Metro (K Reg) and I have never been let down (apart from the battery which had given up at 9 years old!) Need we say more?

“I've had my Audi A2 1.6 FSi for 2 weeks and I love...”

Written on: 14/04/2005 by poopsiecootiesniffer (1 review written)

I've had my Audi A2 1.6 FSi for 2 weeks and I love it. Although I never bought it new (11 months)it feels new. Great if you have back problems as you don't fall into it and it is not massive like the usual MPV's. I did a long journey for 3 and a half hours and found it very comfy and was not in agony when I stepped out. Climate control will be cool for our hot spell! and the Symphony stereo and Bose sound system is great. The glove box is great… Read Full Review

“Forget the BMW mini, this Audi A2 1.6 FSi Family Car...”

Written on: 13/11/2004 by ipodite (1 review written)

Forget the BMW mini, this Audi A2 1.6 FSi Family Car is the true modern mini. It pushes industry technology further using space saving packaging and modern materials for lightness and 'green' purposes. This car is rare and challenges the conservative designs clogging up the road. Although relatively small, the occupants possess plenty of room (think golf interior). Although the car is a mini-MPV which means it is high-sided it does not wallow round corners. In fact the car has a great turn… Read Full Review

“The Audi A2 1.6 FSi is a good car overall. I have had...”

Written on: 10/04/2004 by bwhitehead (1 review written)

The Audi A2 1.6 FSi is a good car overall. I have had no problems yet but time will tell only covered 5000 miles. It has Good fuel consumption, it is nice to drive. Climate control makes pleasant driving. The only bad points are that the Wheels drum on road through vehicle and there is no spare wheel under the bonnet… Read Full Review

245194_Ceefor's Response to bwhitehead's Review

Written on: 31/05/2006

The spare wheel is collapsible and is is found either under the lower boot compartment next to the battery or, if you have symphony stereo, in a "secret" compartment under the drivers footwell carpet. Instructions in "diy" section of owners manual. Wouldn't fancy trying to use it though!

“I have an A2 as a coutesy car while my A3 (only 4...”

Written on: 14/01/2004 by gillian (14 reviews written)

I have an A2 as a coutesy car while my A3 (only 4 months old) awaits a new windscreen motor. Although it is not a car I would buy as I prefer the appearance of the A3, I am enjoying driving it. The steering and gearbox don't feel any different to my A3. I have read that the A2 is an extremely environmentally friendly car due to its recyclable aluminium body, low fuel consumption and low carbon dioxide emissions. I am sure it makes a great mini MPV… Read Full Review