Yann Martel, Life of Pi Reviews

Yann Martel, Life of Pi - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Yann Martel, Life of Pi

“Thoughful and shocking”

Written on: 26/07/2013

Life of pi is a fantastic adventure novel.The story is about a boy,a boat and a tiger.The main character is Pi,a sixteen-year-old boy and Richard Parker,a 450-pound Bengal tiger.The story takes place in the Pacific Ocean.The story uses animal to replace people's minds. At the end of the novel,Pi tells officials the two stories,one is the animals and the other is about people.He asks the officials which story they prefer.They choose the story with the animals. Life of pi is a brilliant… Read Full Review

Yann Martel, Life of Pi

“A boy, his boat, and a tiger”

Written on: 07/03/2013 by mario_alvarez (7 reviews written)

“Interpretation is not the art of construing but the art of construction. Interpreters do not decode poems, they make them.” – Stanley Fish (Is There a Text in This Class?) “The circus lions don’t care to know that their leader is a weakling human; the fiction guarantees their social well-being and staves off violent anarchy.” - Yann Martel (Life of Pi) --- Life of Pi is postmodern literature at its finest. What Lewis said about Christianity through The Lion, the Witch, and the… Read Full Review

Yann Martel, Life of Pi

“Sometimes it's good to judge a book by its cover”

Written on: 30/11/2011 by timmytank (80 reviews written)

This book is just amazing. I recommend it to the few people I know who haven't already read it! I was lucky enough to pick this up for a holiday when it was first published many years ago, before I was aware that had even been shortlisted for any literary prizes. I'm so glad, as I had no expectations or knowledge of it. I savoured every page as a refreshing breath of fresh air. I rarely choose a book based on its beautiful cover illustration but perhaps I will do more often as this was such a… Read Full Review

Yann Martel, Life of Pi

“Definitely a book I will always remember and love....”

Written on: 06/01/2009

Definitely a book I will always remember and love. Very great book. My favorite book of all time most likely. Wonderful book! Definitely read this book… Read Full Review

Yann Martel, Life of Pi

“The story is interesting and Maartel is a decent...”

Written on: 26/10/2008 by garbagehead (4 reviews written)

The story is interesting and Maartel is a decent writer. However, it's a rip off, which the author finally admitted after lots of pressure by the writing community, of Max and the Cats by Moacyr Scliar. Now reissues of the book acknowledge this other book. Average, sort of not great but not bad. The third part gets tedious… Read Full Review

Unit's Response to garbagehead's Review

Written on: 30/05/2010

Yes, it is a good novel, even though it is a rip off of Moacyr Scliar's Max and the Cats. Interestingly, the ending is also a rip off of another of Scliar's books, The Centaur in the Garden. Not sure why no one seems to have picked up on this. And just today I was reading about Martel's newest novel, Beatrice and Virgil, only to see that this is also drawing elements blatantly ripped off from Max and the Cats again (the taxidermist, holocaust etc.) Amazing! Can't Martel write anything original that he hasn't ripped off Scliar first???

Yann Martel, Life of Pi

“Yann Martel, Life of Pi Review: At times, I was...”

Written on: 24/03/2004 by venusdemilo (2 reviews written)

Yann Martel, Life of Pi Review: At times, I was completely taken back by the almost pure accuracy of this story as the details seemed so true in some aspects. I was almost sure this story was actually real.

However, I got extremely bored as another day went by on the lonesome boat. As if I can feel Pi's character tearing his hair out because of the mundane days passing by.

I haven't read all of it. Mainly because I convinced myself that I was just not in the mood to read this.

I admit, I… Read Full Review

170549_Trippster's Response to venusdemilo's Review

Written on: 16/09/2004

With all due respect...if you do not read the last twenty pages and they don't break your heart then I'll be really, really surprised.

Poeshke's Response to venusdemilo's Review

Written on: 20/12/2005

I have to agree with tripsterr... this is a great book, and the end really takes it up a level. One of the best books I read in a long time!

Yann Martel, Life of Pi

“It's a long time since a book has had such a physical...”

Written on: 03/03/2004 by melee679 (1 review written)

It's a long time since a book has had such a physical effect on me. A good writer can make the reader shed tears, and I did, on a packed commuter train, thank you Yann Martel, I cried like a baby for Pi. More than that though there were several points where I was almost physically sick. I felt my insides turn. Now that's a pretty damn special kind of writing talent.

This fantastic offering from Canadian writer Yann Martel was the undoubtably deserving winner of the Booker prize last year. That… Read Full Review

“THE LIFE OF PI ”

Written on: 27/01/2004 by Harriet Klausner (18660 reviews written)

THE LIFE OF PI
Yann Martel
Harcourt, May 2002, $25.00, 319 pp.
ISBN: 0151008116

In Pondicherry, India, Piscine "Pi" Patel enjoys his childhood as the son of the local zoo keeper means plenty of fun things to do. In that role, Pi learns a great deal about the wild beasts that his father keeps. Though a Hindu, Pi also finds pleasure in learning about Christianity and Islam and willingly practices the three belief systems over the objections of his family and religious leaders.

Now sixteen… Read Full Review