Volkswagen Passat 2.0 TDI Sport DSG Reviews

• Practicality

• Reliability

Volkswagen Passat 2.0 TDI Sport DSG - Ask a question now

“DSG Gearbox rubbish”

Written on: 28/03/2013 by Eloise12 (1 review written)

I bought a passat 2007,2.0 TDI sport with 140bhp last year with full dealer service history. At 67000 miles the gearbox broke down completely. Cost to repair £4000. This car is useless, worst car I have ever owned. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone, gear box is jerky or should I say was. Totally rubbish, poor quality engineering… Read Full Review

Barryyaxley's Response to Eloise12's Review

Written on: 08/05/2013

I have to agree I have similar problems to above , spoken with customer services at VW lo and behold they are not aware of any problems with their gearboxes.amazing response not.. They are quite happy to charge customers £1200-00 plus vat and fitting costs for a mechatronic control'.
Unlike robbers of the past who wore masks VW are not embarrassed with their rubbish dished out to unsuspecting customers/users of their products..

Moronbuy's Response to Eloise12's Review

Written on: 02/11/2013

I to have had the same problem after spending £24500 from new gearbox failure at 1month out of warranty ..no joy from vw..cost me £6000 then mechatronics go and a host of other problems cost me around £11000 in repairs ..worst car I've every had..have complained to vw but they remain quiet..so sad

“i bought this car 3 month ago automatic DSG whiten few...”

Written on: 08/01/2011

i bought this car 3 month ago automatic DSG whiten few days i notice jerk at start in traffic, took it back to dealer he kept the car for all day just change oil and filter, but that did not fix the shi... took it back and this time he did not wanted to know.
after 2 month ended up spending 4000 pound on new gearbox and ECU
please stay away from this junk… Read Full Review

Johnonthe4Thbend's Comment

Written on: 16/02/2011

I found this review very helpful because I have recently bought the same model and that has the same problem as described. I also test drove a 2009 model and that was the same as well. Completely dangerous JUNK!!!

Written on: 27/02/2013

i bought one 3months ago and what a faboulous car !! pure class with lots of power !!

Guest's Comment

Written on: 03/11/2011

A good review, it all makes sense now.

I have just taken possession of what I thought was a bargain 2008 VW 2.0 TDI PASSAT AUTO and the drive is shockingly bad. It has only done 17,000 miles but the jerking when pulling away and sometimes when slowing down has stripped off most of the tread on the front tires and if it had an MOT tomorrow, it would NOT PASS!

The VW dealer has been as much use as a glass hammer. You know, some hairy ar**d mechanic takes it for test drive and says \"what?\" it even has an extended VW warranty but whats the point, if the only thing you can do with it, is wipe your backside with it.

About ten years ago I got a VW VENTO that was just out of warranty but the brakes were well dodgy and was informed that the master cylinder had gone! The mechanic told me it was dangerous, with wide eyes as he spoke. Sometimes VW really take the p*ss! No wonder everyone's starting to buy Korean.

Anyway, maybe I'll see VW in court!! I'm not going to take this lying down!

Written on: 28/02/2013

had your car got d.s.g. ???? my friend has his passat 2.0 litre 2007 (d.s.g.)6 years and has never had a problem !! NEVER !! and i have on three months and its pure luxury car !! a million extras !!! a class car indeed !!! dont u know that new cars can give problems?? its the luck of the draw!!! u will learn this in time !!

“Bought a Passat 2.0L TDI estate from new. All fine...”

Written on: 15/11/2010

Bought a Passat 2.0L TDI estate from new. All fine until this summer. At 70000 miles car broke down and had to be collected by roadside assist. Diagnosed as fuel injector failure. New unit and loom fitted £750 out of pocket. Then the big one! One month later, heading north on M1 at 75mph. Sudden major loss of power , huge volumes of black smoke, crawl along hard shoulder to services. 2nd roadside recovery (Note I had never had to have a 'get me home' assist in 35 years of motoring… Read Full Review

Nomorevw's Comment

Written on: 17/12/2010

I found this review helpful because...I too bought a new passat 07 reg 170bhp and at 49000mls gearbox decided to
<br/>blow up they want 3500grand to fix so will have to scap car...
<br/>also had a lot of expensive repairs before this..no more vw's for me will move to top end jap...have friends who's
<br/>lexus;s have done big mileage with no added expense.
<br/>
<br/>Douglas

Written on: 27/02/2013

dsg is the issue not 2.0 litres junk boxes !!

“I took on my Passat 2.0 TDI 170PS Sport DSG as a...”

Written on: 18/08/2010 by csinclaire (1 review written)

I took on my Passat 2.0 TDI 170PS Sport DSG as a company car when joining a new firm. Wasn't initially happy because I had a Merc E220d auto at my last company and saw the Passat as a step backwards. Hoever, within a few days of ownership I had really fallen for the car. The performance is really good, and the DSG is far better than the Merc auto box. I like the auto hold hand brake option, which when combined with the DSG makes driving in traffic a doddle. I have three teenage kids and they… Read Full Review

Guest's Response to csinclaire's Review

Written on: 11/09/2011

How familiar? Next week I'll get a Passat 170 DSG in my new company. It will replace my own mercedes E220 T. I hope I will be as setified as you were. Why change to Tiguan, isn't it to small? I also have 3 kids by the way.

“I have to respond to 'Travelog9's review. I fully...”

Written on: 20/07/2010

I have to respond to 'Travelog9's review. I fully understand that you haven't experienced any of the problems that have been reported here and on numerous other forums.

However, the problem that anyone who is considering purchasing a Passat Diesel with DSG 'box should be aware of is that if they encounter jerkiness when pulling away, reversing and putting it into gear as I and seemingly hundreds of others have, you will fail in your attempts to get VW to accept that the problem exists and as a… Read Full Review

“I'm not the only one who airs a legitimate grouse on...”

Written on: 02/07/2010 by travelog9 (3 reviews written)

I'm not the only one who airs a legitimate grouse on the Internet, so this review isn't posted by way of seeking to confound the others here. However. . . The old truism holds true: somehow, there's a need to air a greivance when one is seriously disappointed by a product, but no equivalent need when no disappointment at all is experienced.

As with the Passat and its Direct Shift gearbox.

And let's get the facts right here: it's a semi-automatic box using twin clutches. Not a conventional… Read Full Review

“First the good things: great on space, reliable(not...”

Written on: 17/10/2009

First the good things: great on space, reliable(not the DSG!), good mpg(average 42), comfortable, easy to live with, powerful engine.
But that gearbox is the worst auto box I know. It is jerky and simply a pain to use in town, stop and go, traffic. What was VW thinking of? It has been send back to Germany once for repairs but is only little better now than before.
So if you are thinking of buying a Passat diesel with DSG, don't!… Read Full Review

“Bought 5 Passats with DSG box over 6 months for...”

Written on: 08/07/2009 by rexton06 (1 review written)

Bought 5 Passats with DSG box over 6 months for company. Every one has had a major gearbox failure with the Mechatronic units failing in each case. Thats a coll £1000+ for the bits alone without the labour cost or the hassle of tasking the cars back continually. Garage tried to tell us they would settle down and stop jerking through the first and reverse gears. Absolutely awful. We have started to replace each one with Renault Espace. After 12 months not a single warranty problem on any of… Read Full Review

“Parking sensors when raining they go off continuously...”

Written on: 15/12/2008 by dave1946 (1 review written)

Parking sensors when raining they go off continuously until i reach 15mph been back to garage several times, change all sensors but the problem is still there I like the car but the parking sensor problem is a real pain. i am sure i am not the only one to have this problem… Read Full Review

“I have had several cars with automatic gears, sadly...”

Written on: 17/02/2008 by keithlyward (1 review written)

I have had several cars with automatic gears, sadly the DSG has/is the worse one I have had the misfortune to experience. In addition to the "jerking" problem, I now find that in sports mode the car will NOT change up to 6th gear! It's going back to the dealer again of course and if they ever cure the problem, I would be very happy with car. Sadly, I think they will have to refund my money, or exchange the vehicle, as after all this time I find it difficult to believe that a solution to my… Read Full Review

“The Volkswagen Passat 2.0 TDI Sport DSG is an...”

Written on: 24/11/2006 by clavering (17 reviews written)

The Volkswagen Passat 2.0 TDI Sport DSG is an excellent family car and long distance work horse… Read Full Review