The Bell Inn Tillington, Hereford Reviews

• Quality of service

• Quality of food

The Bell Inn Tillington, Hereford - Ask a question now

“Expensive for very average food”

Written on: 17/12/2012

Found the price to be expensive for very ordinary food.Service was slow even though there was only one other table eating.The starter courses and the main dish were just not tasty ,the presentation was nothing exciting either but the bill ! I could have eaten at a five star restaurant for a similar price… Read Full Review

“Dreadful din makes eating at the Bell an ordeal”

Written on: 01/10/2012 by Chatillon (1 review written)

Food of a consistently high quality; pleasant, friendly and efficient service. But if you'd like to eat your meal in a bit of peace and quiet, forget it. Blaring, caterwauling pop music assaults the ears, even in the dining room, making normal conversation almost impossible. If you ask for it to be turned off (shock, horror!) or down, the reply is: 'we're not allowed to'. After several polite differences of opinion on the matter with staff at The Bell we've given up going to this otherwise… Read Full Review

Glenn Williams's Response to Chatillon's Review

Written on: 11/10/2012

Sorry you find the music at The Bell not to your taste - and too loud. We do use music in three of our 4 rooms at the pub as an "atmosphere enhaser" (for some!). One of the rooms does not have any speakers at all. I also find my staff play the music too loud at certain times eg Lunchtimes and have to turn it down myself (one barmaid sings in a band & is getting on a bit, whilst another is a grade 8 pianist and enjoys her music!) - as of them not being allowed to is false, I do however feel this may be an excuse if there are other people in the room and the atmosphere is good. We try our best and sorry it will prevent you from using the pub in the future.

Chatillon's reply to Glenn Williams's Comment

Written on: 22/10/2012

Glenn

Thank you for taking time to reply.

We'll have to agree to differ!

Regards
John

“The Bell Inn is an absolutely BRILLIANT pub - lovely...”

Written on: 20/09/2009

The Bell Inn is an absolutely BRILLIANT pub - lovely staff, food and atmosphere! The food was quick to come, and it took me a long time to decide what to have as all the food looked sooooo yummy. Now, i go there all the time. 10/10. Definately the best pub hands down in the whole of Herefordshire!!!!!… Read Full Review

“I went to The Bell Inn last night for a meal as...”

Written on: 07/04/2009

I went to The Bell Inn last night for a meal as recommended by one of my friends who uses the pub regularly. What a true delight, the staff were friendly, welcoming and seemed genuinely to want us to have a good time. The food was of excellent quality and they clearly enjoy using local produce in their menu's with fabulous results. My partner was very impressed with the guest ale whilst I found the house white so lovely I had to have another! All in all a friendly and excellent quality… Read Full Review

“I recently went to the Bell to celebrate a family...”

Written on: 07/04/2009

I recently went to the Bell to celebrate a family birthday and found the food and service to be fantastic. The staff were friendly and helpful and were only too pleased to help when one of our party had special dietary requirements which meant "tweaking" her dish of choice. There was a good variety of meals to choose from, the food was tasty and there was plenty of it - we all loved the homemade chips! I had heard about their yummy desserts, especially the "Mars Bar Cheesecake" and was not… Read Full Review

“Went to The Bell Inn Tillington for celebration meal -...”

Written on: 04/04/2009

Went to The Bell Inn Tillington for celebration meal - the only celebration was when food and drink finally arrived. Only to be disappointed . Food and service abysmal. Large party very agrieved. No doubt locals get what they consider as good 'service' but I would be worried, if it is the considered opinion of non locals, that there is something dreadfully amiss! Certainly The Bell won't be pulling in new trade from visitor recommendations. Hope they can survive in this current economic… Read Full Review

Written on: 07/04/2009

Sorry you did not enjoy your time with us - I would be grateful if you could drop me a line or phone giving details of your party so I can look into it,
<br/>Thank you
<br/>Glenn Williams
<br/>The Bell Inn
<br/>Tillington.

“The Bell Inn Tillington, Hereford always has a...”

Written on: 24/01/2009 by liabilityliz (1 review written)

The Bell Inn Tillington, Hereford always has a friendly welcome, excellent service. Versatile with strict dietry needs. Clean, comfortable atmosphere. Every visit is a pleasure never a taskj. Definitely a top place for excellent food and service. And best of all they serve a damn fine pint of Wye Valley... oowah, thats got my taste buds going. Yep, this pub rings my 'Bell'. 10/10… Read Full Review

“Cannot recognise The Bell from a recent review; we go...”

Written on: 18/01/2009 by RDW (2 reviews written)

Cannot recognise The Bell from a recent review; we go for lunch almost every Sunday & have found it an outstanding pub; a view shared by a large number of locals & regulars. We measure every other pub/restaurant against The Bell & most fail on a value for money basis. The owners & staff are friendly & helpful; the service excellent; the food is well cooked, & the servings are generous. The fact they were recently awarded 4 stars by the Hereford Council supports all this. We exchange houses for… Read Full Review

“The Bell Inn Tillington, Hereford is a very...”

Written on: 12/01/2009 by clairedudman (1 review written)

The Bell Inn Tillington, Hereford is a very traddtional friendly family run pub. I have been going there for the last 6 years on a weekly basis, or more than once a week. The staff are always happy and accomodating for my needs. The food is always high standard and the portions are on the large size (for me anyway). The Mars Bar Cheesecake is the best ever!!!!!!!!!! A great place to go… Read Full Review

“We went to the Bell Inn for my brothers birthday in...”

Written on: 08/01/2009

We went to the Bell Inn for my brothers birthday in November 08 party of 8. We encountered slow service from the bar to begin with and then we were handed the menu. I felt that the choice was poor I think the starter was a choice of 4 or 5 I opted for Pate which came as a large portion, but with only 3 pieces of small sized toast, so I was left with half the pate to eat on its own. You may think why not ask for more toast, the reason being we had to wait 30 mins for the starter to arrive and as… Read Full Review

Rdw's Comment

Written on: 18/01/2009

I disagree with this review because...we just do not recognise the excellent food, service & quality of The Bell - our experience is diametrically opposed.

452108_Millymolly's Comment

Written on: 04/04/2009

I also visited the Bell and can confirm that this is exactly as we were treated. The whole experience was abysmal to say the very least. I am very glad the 'locals' think it is 'wonderful. ' However, The Bell had problems and will certainly not be getting any new recommendations for service and food from myself or our party.
<br/>Maybe they can benefit from my comments as a non local!. Hope their 'local' trade will be sufficient . I would have thought that they would have been keen to make their new client's dining experience an occasion to remember for excellent reasons and not negative.

Liabilityliz's Comment

Written on: 24/01/2009

I definitely recommend the Bell Inn Tillington to all. I like to think of myself as a regular as its comfortable and welcoming. It is always my first choice for eating and its never been a drama for the professional staff and chefs who manage to turn up trumps to their guests needs.
<br/>I wonder if the sed party was mistaken and eating in some other country location. The menu is vast, and the service is just right. In fact I'm off for a beer now!

Written on: 19/01/2009

We at The Bell are sorry you did not enjoy your visit to our pub on 12 November. We take any complaint seriously and will try to learn from your comments. Just as a foot note, and one that does confuse us, our menu is made up of 15 main courses plus a usual 3 main course specials and not the 5-7 stated in the review.
<br/>Thebellinntillington.co.uk

433332_Foodcriticmike's Comment

Written on: 18/01/2009

I disagree with this review because... I have visited this pub for many years. I often go on the Thursday night after wrk and have a quiet drink then on the sunday afternoon after work again i will always have the sunday roast which is perfect and comes with all the trimings. Ive never had a problem with service and i am always happy visit the pub.

“Visited The Bell Inn last year for son's 21st...”

Written on: 02/01/2009

Visited The Bell Inn last year for son's 21st birthday. Found the food ok, average pub food. The service was very slow and nobody seemed to know who was in charge of what. Won't be going back… Read Full Review

Written on: 19/01/2009

“Absolutely fantastic meal; this pub has been serving...”

Written on: 07/10/2008 by shughesnerys (3 reviews written)

Absolutely fantastic meal; this pub has been serving consistently excellent food for the past 20 years and it just gets better. Thoroughly recommended to all but make sure you book well in advance for weekend evenings, as they are very popular!… Read Full Review

“The Bell Inn Tillington is the best local pub in...”

Written on: 20/07/2008

The Bell Inn Tillington is the best local pub in Herefordshire, without a doubt… Read Full Review

“The Bell Inn at Tillington is an all round success...”

Written on: 26/06/2008

The Bell Inn at Tillington is an all round success with good choice of ales and brilliant food menu. Welcoming staff, friendly atmosphere and a great british pub feel with the public bar still in use. Food is fantastic and good value for quality and service… Read Full Review

“Very welcoming and hospitable. Excellent food. Lovely...”

Written on: 02/04/2008

Very welcoming and hospitable. Excellent food. Lovely selection of beers. Locals friendly, as well as staff. Cosy feel to the snug. Accomodates all with a restaurant, bar snacks lounge, games room and snug/ bar area… Read Full Review

“Really liked meal here, good service and food, good...”

Written on: 27/03/2008 by CharlesGeorge (1 review written)

Really liked meal here, good service and food, good range on menu, Easy to find from center of Hereford and good choice of food for Children… Read Full Review

“The Bell Inn in Tillington is a very popular...”

Written on: 10/11/2006 by rashley (2 reviews written)

The Bell Inn in Tillington is a very popular pub/restaurant just outside the western fringe of Hereford. It is warm and welcoming, and always full, because, quite simply, it offers food to suit young and old at a variety of prices. There are three chefs turning out consistently good food. The steaks are always cooked to order, and they are always succulent and tasty. There is a dining room just off the bar, but customers can eat at the bar tables as well. The staff are very friendly.

You need… Read Full Review

Gilliancatley's Response to rashley's Review

Written on: 26/01/2013

We have enjoyed your december menu could you please forward yourjanuary/febuary menus please