The Dyffryn Arms, Bryncoch Reviews

• Quality of service

• Quality of food

The Dyffryn Arms, Bryncoch - Ask a question now

“awful”

Written on: 17/05/2014 by 1988aaaa (1 review written)

Been dining there for over 10 years me and my family went there today for the first time in a while and the food was inedible 3 meals was about 40pound with drinks and we literally couldn't eat it and we paid politely and walked out we will never be going there again… Read Full Review

“Lovely food great atmosphere”

Written on: 21/04/2014 by JayleeBurton396 (1 review written)

Just spent the weekend in Wales and had the pleasure of eating here twice! The pub was busy as Easter but very organised staff and the food very very enjoyable. We had a variety of dishes including XL burgers, home made chips, vegetarian pasta, chicken salad, rack of ribs, mixed grill. All enjoyed the food and the portions were so large difficult to finish. I thought the kitchen did remarakably well meeting high demands and the bar and restaurant staff were smart and polite. They also have… Read Full Review

“not nice food”

Written on: 08/04/2014 by dtMiranda222 (1 review written)

had the tomato and basil pasta not nice at all I cook nicer at home just a waste of money wish I had complained but did not like to I will just not bother to eat here again when u have a meal out you expect it to taste nice the price was 8.95 for a plate of horrible tasting food I know of people eating here and not liking their food so I will make sure I just eat out somewhere nicer… Read Full Review

“meal to remember”

Written on: 10/02/2014 by andypandy6667 (1 review written)

went to Dyffryn Arms with family and had a great meal, service was great and food was on time and very nice, there was also a substantial choice of several meals which were all value for money. We will be back again… Read Full Review

“Very dissapointed”

Written on: 02/09/2013 by bamby (1 review written)

Lovely setting, pity about the food . Went there for lunch on 16th of agust had prawns cockles and laver bread.As soon as i arrived home was really ill sickness, stomack pains and fainting,was probabily food poisining. My husband phoned the landlord to let him know that the sea food might be bad, but he didnt seem to botherd,not even an apology.Wont be going back… Read Full Review

Spbow's Response to bamby's Review

Written on: 19/04/2014

My wife and I are having a similar experience. We both had the crab and tried the pate. We were looking for something a little bit different for our usual monthly meal, as the menu is a little dull. After we drove around for a while we decided to try the Dyffryn arms as they had a nice seafood selection. The service was very good and prompt, the food looked and tasted lovely. We feel at £55 for both meals and a £5 tip was very reasonable. However with an hour of getting home, my wife and I were extremely ill. We haven't eaten together all day as I was out, so the only thing I can conclude is the meal was bad. Never have we suffered from sickness like this. I think we will be sticking to our usual place from now on, and not visting the dyffyn arms again. I think a call to trading standards is on the cards.

“not on a monday”

Written on: 11/03/2013

Menue board not updated albeit table menue was. Meals ordered ! within 10mins it was in front of us Gammon still pink peas very salty' Lasagne bechamel sauce uncooked sent back. New meal ordered Chilli arrived piping hot albeit looked and tasted awful. Vinegar could not even mask the taste. Staff very helpful and apoligetic, albeit wish the same could be said for the person in charge who was not happy at meals being rejected or being very polite but did not charge for the chilli or… Read Full Review

“Lovely food but service very slow”

Written on: 20/09/2012 by rebecca44 (1 review written)

Went for Sunday lunch recently and booked the 12.00 pm sitting. Arrived at 11.55 and the place was not open but did open doors by 12.00 pm. Ordered a drink and went to out table. Very disappointing as we were finally asked to go to the csrvary at 12.45 pm. The food is really nice home cooked and boiling hot cannot fault the meal. The service however was another matter if the pub is unable to serve the meal on time then they should not advertise the meal for 12.00 pm. Very disappointing… Read Full Review

“Lovely Country Pub - Excellent Food & Ambience”

Written on: 12/02/2012 by LORNADOONE (1 review written)

Lovely friendly country pub. Lovely home made food, we would especially recommend the Wednesday carvery. Lovely well cooked food and an excellent choice of vegetables cooked to perfection. The beef which we had was beautifully tender and cooked as we like it. Lovely building with large car park and ideally situated for a relaxing meal or a drink. Nicely decorated, warm and welcoming. Would strongly reccommend… Read Full Review

“Always brilliant, excellent meals, fantastic staff. ...”

Written on: 13/08/2010 by welshstars (1 review written)

Always brilliant, excellent meals, fantastic staff. Love it!… Read Full Review

“Very Disappointing. Looks a lovely place from the...”

Written on: 26/07/2010

Very Disappointing. Looks a lovely place from the outside. What a poor excuse for a carvery, two choices of meat, 1 roast potato and yorkshire puding (both obviously frozen), then a huge choice between cauliflower cheese, broccoli, peas, carrots and mash potatoe ( hard to tell if real mash or smash )!! then someone else to poor your gravy. Tiny plates that meant it all piled on. Childs plate was more of a saucer which meant again all piled on top of each other. Of outside area no designated… Read Full Review

Welshstars's Comment

Written on: 13/08/2010

I disagree with this review, the Carvery is fantastic, freshly cooked by a professional chef who has been creating great food for many years at the Dyffryn Arms. Whoever thinks that the plates are too small must have an enormous appetite!!! (or be plain greedy!). Not sure how you can say there is no smoking area, it has a massive park area with about 15 picnic tables.
<br/>I have been frequenting the Dyffryn for many years and they are always full with happy smiling customers, knowing that you have to book in advance for sunday carvery every week says it all really....lots of people share my opinion.
<br/>The staff (who have all been there many years) are always helpful, polite and pleased to see anyone who walks in the door, the management are efficient and friendly, the atmosphere is great, not sure how else to describe this truly fantastic pub and restaurant.

“I have been here several times and always found the...”

Written on: 27/05/2010

I have been here several times and always found the experience first rate. The staff are really friendly and actually over helpful. Its not often you can find a place in the UK that ticks all the boxes. The food is of very good quality, a nice varied menu and a nice clean, relaxed atmosphere any time of the year.
Whenever friends come to visit I always take them there and without prompt they always come away very happy and surprised how good it was there. Definitely the place to eat… Read Full Review

“it was our first time here and really impressed four...”

Written on: 14/05/2010

it was our first time here and really impressed four of us went, i had carvery, my mum had homemade steak and ale pie peas and chips, my nanna had homemade lasagne peas and chips, and my daughter had chicken nuggets peas and chips and we all had deserts aswell very pleased with the prices aswell recommend here to anyone. also be back soon… Read Full Review

“my family and i have been to The Dyffryn Arms,...”

Written on: 30/07/2009

my family and i have been to The Dyffryn Arms, Bryncoch a few times food is delicious especially the steaks.surroudings are lovely and relaxing. only one complaint you have to wait a VERY LONG TIMEEEEEEEEEEEE for your food.the only reason i am not giving it a 4 star is because of the length of time you have to wait… Read Full Review

“The Dyffryn Arms is a good place.......relaxing,...”

Written on: 05/05/2008

The Dyffryn Arms is a good place.......relaxing, pleasant to look out onto the countryside, and I would recommend it for all ages. Judging by how many people go there, then a lot of other people share my opinion… Read Full Review

“Eaten there a few times and the Food is always...”

Written on: 24/04/2008 by tree mendous (1 review written)

Eaten there a few times and the Food is always brilliant.
I mainly order the specials, and they are always impeccably cooked and change each week.
My favourites were the Monkfish and Prawn Thai Green Curry, and the Blackcrust Salmon Nicoise, which I had the pleasure of eating last night.
If you don't fancy the specials, there is an excellent range of standard pub fayre, and real ales, one of wich is replaced every few months… Read Full Review

“Having been frequenting The Dyffryn Arms in Bryncoch,...”

Written on: 28/08/2006 by andwms1 (1 review written)

Having been frequenting The Dyffryn Arms in Bryncoch, Neath, for a number of years, consuming their over priced and under sized meals, yesterday we had cause to complain about one of the meals, due to its misrepresentation on the menu.

To cut a long story short, the manageress took offence to our complaint and promptly barred us from the establishment and threatened to call the police because we would not pay for this particular meal.

She then said she would not charge us for the burger or… Read Full Review

Welsh Foodie's Response to andwms1's Review

Written on: 31/05/2007

I live nearby, and I know the Chef at The Dyffryn Arms in Bryncoch. Unfortunately, I avoid the place because the meals I've had there in the past have been lousy. There's no excuse for poor service though. I shall keep my distance. Thanks for the advice.

Donwales's Response to andwms1's Review

Written on: 01/09/2009

We've been to the Dyf dozens of times and have NEVER had a bad meal or bad service. The staff, same faces every time, are excellent. The carvery has got to be one of the best in Wales, very well organised with no chance of a rampage, and 100% good in quality and quantity. I'd take andwms1's comments with a pinch of salt.

400421_Caradoc's Response to andwms1's Review

Written on: 11/09/2008

Undersized meals? Maybe they've been ordering from the children's menu? I have always found the Dyffryn Arms portions more than ample. There's a lack of quality, traditional pubs of this high standard in the area. The food is great, particularly the more adventurous specials the atmosphere welcoming and the service, excellent. If only more pubs in the area offered the same homemade, quality food in idyllic surroundings.

Vikkim's Response to andwms1's Review

Written on: 03/08/2008

I disagree with this review because I have been there on so many occassions that I cannot count and not one of these occassions has been disappointing. The service has always been great and the staff are very friendly. The pub is bursting at the seams with happy customers. The team couple who now run this establishment have not let standards slip but have re-energised this traditional pub with new menus and fresh enthusiastic ideas for the pub's future. I will return for many more great occassions. The pub quiz is a challenge on Sunday nights, they put on a fantastic New Years evening with fancy dress, evening meal and a show of fireworks and have ample grounds for summer beer garden with childrens play area. Also has ample car parking. Great Pub in the area of Bryncoch.