Plectostomus Catfish Reviews

Plectostomus Catfish - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Plectostomus Catfish

Plectostomus Catfish
Plectostomus Catfish

“I ordered a gold nugget plectostomus from...”

Written on: 29/05/2009

I ordered a gold nugget plectostomus from somthingsphishy.com. The fish was delivered the following morning and was in excellent condition. It was exactly as advertised with regard to size and coloration. An absolutely beautiful fish who fit right into my Pleco Colony (I have 5 other assorted plecos in the tank). I love plecos and have made this particular family my family. I have a 55 gallon with 2 medium clown loaches and a 6 inch silver arowana. What fun. I recommend… Read Full Review

“The common pleco is a great algae eater, possibly...”

Written on: 26/01/2009

The common pleco is a great algae eater, possibly second only to the Siamese algae eater (flying fox), and some variations can have beautiful patterns. LARGE! up to 30cm possibly bigger and clumsy they can knock over ornaments and potentially injure other fish for smaller aquariums i would suggest bristle nose plecostomus, much smaller 10-15 cm and in my opinion no less interesting… Read Full Review

“Great, hardy fish to clean the algea. They can get...”

Written on: 09/12/2008 by robschmelz (3 reviews written)

Great, hardy fish to clean the algea. They can get huge and then do very little for your tank except add to the bioload. I recommend getting one of these especially for first time and beginners… Read Full Review

“I swear mine ate one of my other fish. swallowed it...”

Written on: 22/02/2008

I swear mine ate one of my other fish. swallowed it whole. or the other fish teleported out of the tank overnight. . .
Overall I like this pet if you only want one fish, these guys are pretty cool… Read Full Review

“These are great....”

Written on: 07/01/2008

These are great… Read Full Review

“Some grow to 2 feet if given A LOT of room. Especially...”

Written on: 17/01/2007 by Mystix212 (3 reviews written)

Some grow to 2 feet if given A LOT of room. Especially ponds with a depth of 4.5 feet or more. But huge tanks like 300 G will give them ample room to roam and eat algae. Small tanks like 20-40 G are OK for the smaller ones. It may take up to 10+ years to reach full length, but more food will make the Plectostomus Catfish grow quicker. Bristlenose Pleco's top out at 6", and some other species top out smaller than that, but most species grow to a foot or longer.

Once you've brought one you will… Read Full Review

Helen Of Troy's Response to Mystix212's Review

Written on: 17/01/2007

Your knowledge will certainly be of great benefit to all who come to Review Centre! I no longer keep any fish, but I have already learned a good deal from your comments and reviews.
<br>Again, excellent review!
<br/>
<br>Keep up the good work!

Mystix212's Response to Mystix212's Review

Written on: 17/01/2007

Thanks. It's good to see someone benefit from and enjoy what I write.

“The Plectostomus Catfish is an algae eater that will...”

Written on: 03/10/2006 by e4chin (30 reviews written)

The Plectostomus Catfish is an algae eater that will definitely keep the sides of your aquarium free of algae. Even though its food grows on the sides of its tank, you may want to feed it algae pellets if it's an adult.

The minimum tank size one should have for a Plecostomus, that will presumably become full grown, is 50 gallons, for they can grow to a foot long (about 30cm) and they need their space.

It is also very territorial when with other Plecos, so only have one per tank, unless you… Read Full Review

Written on: 12/10/2006

Oh, dear!!! my Plecostomus is dead!!! I think he died of old age, so I guess they don't live for too long. About 2 - 3 years is the time that I had him. He was very healthy, then out of the blue he just croaked!!! I am sad!! :[

373071_Rockstar6013's Response to e4chin's Review

Written on: 10/06/2008

I have the opposite problem my placo has lived over seven years and is over 9 inches long in a 20 gal tank. I am trying to give it away to a good owner...

Written on: 12/02/2007

Just last week, my nephew ran into the tank with a mallet and cracked my 40 G breeder tank. Approximately 400 fry died, so that just leaves me with around 200 convict fry left. These were from multiple spawns.

Written on: 11/02/2007

Yeah, that thing's like an aquarium! I'm pretty busy too, that's why I haven't re-commented until now, and i can't attend to Review Centre until the weekends, so that's why I have fish. Cats were nice, but I didn't have them for a while, so now I am allergic. Funny how the body changes so drastically!? I've never been allergic to cats until i didn't have any around for a while. Well, I don't think I'll ever become allergic to fish, so I'm safe with them.

Written on: 29/01/2007

Well, it strongly depends on your lifestyle. Before I kept fish I always thought, bah a Goldfish is boring, you can't get any other but Goldfish. Then my step dad introduced it to me with his 40 G tank, and ever since I was hooked. Of course dogs and cats as such are more playful etc., but I'm not at home for long periods of time (except night), so a bird, dog or cat wouldn't get the attention it deserves.
<br/>
<br/>I've kept about 3 dogs, a cat and a few other critters before fish, but I may get a dog later down the track. By the way, my community tank of assorted fish is 125G; a bit big considering the size of fish in there, but ones like my Balas, Angels and Lloaches get hefty, so that's why I broke my wallet, so I'm prepared.

Written on: 27/01/2007

Haha! I bet it's 125 G isn't it? (too lazy to look at your other comments right now), and I thought my 75 was big! So do you think fish are worth it over other more interactive pets like dogs and cats? I do.

Written on: 24/01/2007

Well. I'm sort of hooked on them. I've only got 5 tanks. My biggest tank is practically like an indoor pond on its side.

Written on: 23/01/2007

haha! You sure do love your fish! I would've got a tank larger than a 75G, but I didn't have the space. Where are you that you have all this room to have all these fish?

Written on: 23/01/2007

Well the more you clean your water and good filtration etc
<br/>2 Angels
<br/>1 Red-Tail Black Shark
<br/>2 Plecos
<br/>1 Male Betta
<br/>
<br/>These are the ones in my 125 G tank. It's heavily planted with Java Lance fern, Cabomba and about 8 other species of plants. I just let my livebearer fry go loose; the Angel's clean them up. You never get sick of that "pop".

Written on: 22/01/2007

True. I hope you aren't overloaded with all of those little fish. I know I'm busy enough with my 2 Oscars and 2 Silver Dollars.
<br/>
<br/>My Pleco is slowly building strength and slowly growing larger, but it will be a long time yet before I can put him into the Cichlid tank!

Written on: 21/01/2007

True, but when you have a tank with about 50 1 - 4 inch fish, it makes it hard. But because Cichlids are big, it doesn't really matter that much.

Written on: 19/01/2007

That makes sense about the UG filters. I had a friend that used 2 on his 10 G tank, and nothing got cleaned.
<br/>
<br/>I don't mind the bubbles. In fact, I need a bubble bar in my tank to keep the water oxygenated, or else my Oscars become sluggish and lose their appetite. Other things might happen after that, but I never let it get any further.

Written on: 17/01/2007

Because you have rough Cichlids, UG Filters would be a problem from your Oscars ripping up the terrain, but for fish that leave the gravel alone, UG Filters are perfect. But a problem is, you need to use more than 2 if you have a big floor area. Smaller tanks probably benefit more from them. But in any tank, that piece of gravel that its cleaning would not have any food or feces in it.
<br/>
<br/>Power filters are good for a current, but with the amount of tiny bubbles they spew out, it distracts you from seeing your fish.

Written on: 17/01/2007

In my experience, I don't think under-gravel filters should be installed in ANY tank. They just don't seem to work on the tanks I have them in, or any of my friends tanks. I use a canister filter for my 75 G, and I change 30%-40% of its water every week. And about every two to three months or so I change the filter pads in the canister filter.

Written on: 15/01/2007

Well, their lifetime depends on how you care for them. If you buy it small (1 - 2 Inches) and put it in a well set up tank with algae on the walls etc., and give it a bit of food here and there, as most people do, they will still survive. Their stomachs are nowhere near as big as you might think they are. However, if it eats a lot then you will see a bump. This might last 5 - 9 years on average. However, if you have a sparse tank and/or a good diet, mainly composed of algae based foods, the Plectostomus Catfish will benefit from it in two ways; A sparse tank means that they can find their food easier (ever notice their tiny eyes?), and a good diet for them, such as spirinula algae wafers and discs, bloodworms and zucchini.
<br/>
<br/>Pretty much, less stress, better diet and no nipping fish such as cichlids, and their lifetime goes way up. Up to 10 - 16 years perhaps. And they will also grow slightly faster. Oh I almost forgot, you MUST do regular water changes if you want to keep it healthy. The more juvenile fish you have in your tank (babies), they more waste they produce; thus the more water changes you must do. However, Under-Gravel Filters pretty much eliminate most of this, but you still need to siphon and do perhaps 20 - 50% water changes for baby tanks, or perhaps 10 - 40% for adult tanks.
<br/>
<br/>Also, the more space you give him, the better off he'll be. Juveniles such as 1 - 3 inchers can live in a 30 - 40 G tank quite well, with adequate hiding spaces. But the bigger he gets, the less hiding places he needs to feel comfortable, and the more room you need. For my huge 15 inch ones, they are housed in a 2000 G tank with little hiding places (just 2). Of course, with this amount of pressure the glass is 1.25 inches thick.
<br/>
<br/>Feel free to write more comments, or I can answer your questions on MANY other fish. Just give me your e-mail on the Review Centre forum.

Written on: 14/01/2007

Yes, I know. That is why I am keeping my young Pleco in my smaller tank, so he can grow large enough to not be harassed by my Oscars.
<br/>
<br/>I thought Pleco's were very aggressive towards each other.

Written on: 14/01/2007

Hi Mystix212. You obviously have a lot more knowledge about Plecs than us. How long are they supposed to live? Neither of us know that one!

Written on: 13/01/2007

It seems that no-one is very educated on Pleco's. Having a 2.5 Pleco in an Oscar tank? That's just suicide. I have been working with catfish species including Pleco's for 13 years. If you're housing your pleco with Cichlids (Oscar's, Red Devils, Severums) etc., make sure the Pleco is roughly 1/2 the size of your Cichlid, or being in their nature, they will sample your beloved Pleco.
<br>
<br/>Bristlenoses stay somewhat smaller, maxing out at 6" on average. Whereas typical ones such as Rhino's can attain 2+ feet (although highly unlikely, unless you have a 1000+ tank/pond). They do not grow very fast, but I have around 90 Pleco's at my home in 6 different tanks, the smallest being a 55 G (200 Litre). My biggest ones are 15 inches each (2 of them) in my built-in tank housed with 2 Pacu and 2 Oscars. It is one that sits on the ground with walls being built around it due to its vast weight. These are NOT territorial fish, except at breeding time, where the less dominant male would often stay in a corner. Sexing is almost impossible. I have only had 2 breeding sessions and that was by pure chance, although none survived. Pity.

Written on: 14/12/2006

I&#039;ve seen that happen! It is like an invasion! But with the oscars around... the snails don&#039;t have a chance!
<br/>
<br/>Every once in a while, i&#039;ll grab some snails from my other tank and feed them to my oscars. it helps to "enrich their diet".

Written on: 11/12/2006

That&#039;s good! Clever Oscars! Snails can overrun a tank!

Written on: 10/12/2006

I tried to put snails in my tank for the meantime, while my Pleco is fattening up, but the Oscars just pluck them off the sides of the tank, and: *crunch* *crunch* *crunch*.

Written on: 29/11/2006

I am giving my Pleco training, and letting him get bigger will give him the edge he needs to survive in my tank. The algae haven't really attacked yet, but my tank will fall to the algae if I don't get the Pleco in there eventually.

Written on: 27/11/2006

I can hear your Oscars now... Mmmmm lunch!

Written on: 25/11/2006

I'll just wait for my little Pleco to grow larger. He is very plump in the tank I have him in. He has a belly so fat that is sticks way out there!

Written on: 14/11/2006

Plectostomus Catfish are cheaper over here, but that's no use to you! Think they cost about £5 ish for a good size Plec.

Written on: 13/11/2006

It's not worth it! They're asking for $20 for a 4 inch Plectostomus Catfish!

Written on: 10/11/2006

It may be easier just to go out and buy another bigger Plectostomus Catfish?!

Written on: 09/11/2006

That certainly is one way to teach them to not mess with animals!
<br/>
<br/>I hope my pleco grows big and strong really fast! And I hope he lasts longer than the other.

Written on: 08/11/2006

Aww poor e4. Poor Plec.
<br/>My son managed to pull back the lid on my tank when he was younger. Put his fingers in. MUNCH! They drew blood, but luckily it just cut his finger a little. He never went near them again!

Written on: 07/11/2006

I was decorating my tank with coloured marbles once, and as I was dropping them in there, one of the Oscars tried to eat it! It got stuck in the Oscars throat for about 30 seconds before it spat it back out. I was so worried! After that I immediately took out all of the marbles I had previously dropped in.
<br/>I miss my pleco.

Written on: 07/11/2006

I love the way Oscars eye up anything unusual, like a new Plec, like a dog sniffing around them! You can see what they are thinking! LUNCH! But you're right, Oscars don't like them because they are so tough! But they may have a go!

Written on: 07/11/2006

I'll raise him in another tank until he gets big enough to not be bothered. I have found that Plecos don't have a whole lot of trouble with Oscars, and they are very heavily plated so they won't get hurt anyway. However, 2.5 inches is just the right size for my Oscars to eat in one big gulp. It would have been terrifying for the Pleco, and it could get lodged in the Oscars throat!

Written on: 06/11/2006

I had the same problem! I took mine out in the end and put him in with Severums. We called him 'Run-the-gauntlet'. They will still try bullying a giant Plec, but he will stand more chance! Our giant Plec was called 'Trog-le-plec'. He didn't get on with Oscars either!

Written on: 06/11/2006

I tried to put a new one in, but the Oscars just kept chasing it around. I'll have to find a much larger one, because the one I tried was only about 2.5 inches long.

Written on: 28/10/2006

As long as he is fairly big and has plenty of hiding places he will be fine. Until he dies.
<br/>Mr Green is very upset he is excluded from reviews and comments. And after all, he is algae coloured. And Plectostomus Catfish are algae eaters. Aahh! Now I understand! It is for his own protection!

Written on: 28/10/2006

I am thinking about getting another Plectostomus Catfish to put in with my 2 Tiger Oscars.
<br/>What do you think about this?
<br/>
<br/>It appears we have more in common than meets the eye, when it comes to our choice of pets.
<br/>
<br/>I am going to see if I can put a smiley face into a comment: :mrgreen:

Written on: 23/10/2006

My Plectostomis Catfish grew to about 7" - 8". I had a couple of small ones die before that. They look hardy but don't last long! I put one in with 3 Oscars. He used to run for his life!! Maybe he died of fright! I gave up on them and just hand cleaned my tanks!

Written on: 20/10/2006

Maybe they just don't live for a very long time.
<br/>
<br/>My Plectostomus Catfish got to about 1 foot long, give or take an inch. How big did yours get?

Written on: 19/10/2006

My Plectostomus Catfish never lasted long either! I had one in a tank of Severums once, a giant one. I wondered what on earth they were so interested in behind some bogwood. Yuk!!! The Plec had died, and the others had half eaten it! They left the hard skin and ate the belly! I lost several at different times. Do you think we have been doing something wrong?! I left you a positive this time by the way!!!