RWS Model 46 E Reviews

RWS Model 46 E - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for RWS Model 46 E

RWS Model 46 E
RWS Model 46 E

“The RWS Model 46 E is a well made rifle. Very well...”

Written on: 13/10/2006 by Sifu456 (61 reviews written)

The RWS Model 46 E is a well made rifle. Very well engineered with smooth parts operation. Solid and safe design and most importantly it's very accurate and smooth in operation. It has made me a Diana fan as I really enjoy shooting this rifle. After operating some of the other underlever rifles I really appreciate the safety in the loading port. It's well designed and thought out and most importantly it's accurate. This is one of the most accurate rifles I own with solid 1 hole 10 shot groups… Read Full Review

“The 1st day my RWS 46 arrived, un boxed I notice that...”

Written on: 14/04/2006 by Sifu456 (61 reviews written)

The 1st day my RWS 46 arrived, un boxed I notice that it was a well made rifle refined in every detail. After I finished admiring its beauty I decided to see how well it shot. I had a little problem figuring out how the loading port worked. After reading the instructions I felt like a dunce because it was a smooth 1 hand job, left hand at that. I scoped it with a 4x32 Gamo scope that was handy and within 3 minutes had it zero'd. I removed that scope replaced it with a 1 piece B-Square… Read Full Review

Sifu456's Response to Sifu456's Review

Written on: 11/07/2006

I must re state the group size, initally I wrote less than a dime size groups at 10meters, really these groups are pellet to double the pellet head groups pending the amount pellets shot, 1 hole groups not just touching. 3-5 pellets are 1 hole the size of the pellet entry hole or maybe double if I mess up. 15-20 shot groups are less then a tack head or if I really screw up less then a dime.
Dimes size groups are 25-30 yards out, this is a very accurate air rifle.

“I bought the RWS Model 46 E rifle used because it was...”

Written on: 17/09/2005 by torqueguy (8 reviews written)

I bought the RWS Model 46 E rifle used because it was a good deal. I was somewhat concerned about the accuracy. I had read other posts that said this rifle wasn't that good.

I was very pleasantly surprised. The accuracy and balance is excellent. The stock rifle was a little too powerful for my needs so I replaced the stock spring with a cut down HW97 spring. I removed 7 coils and gave the rifle a full lube job and replaced the seal with a JM Apex seal.

The end result is a very smoth… Read Full Review

Sifu456's Response to torqueguy's Review

Written on: 18/04/2006

I read some varied reviews on this rifle also and was concerned about its accuracy and durability. Like you I found it to be a fine and refined rifle with superbe accuracy and workmanship. I paid $189 for this rifle and its worth every cent, I don't know what the retail price is for this rifle. I do know the fancier stocks RWS46 range from $329-$369, with my 46s performance its money well spent. The fancy stock with this accuracy & workmanship is bragging rights. This is a very refined engineered air rifle, I like it as you can tell.

“I bought my RWS Model 46 E air rifle about 2 weeks...”

Written on: 10/05/2005 by Chrisco (1 review written)

I bought my RWS Model 46 E air rifle about 2 weeks ago, trying to find an "upgrade" to my Gamo cf-x. I was told that this gun would far exceed the accuracy of my Gamo, because the Gamo was an "entry level" gun, and could not possibly keep up with a better quality European air rifle. I have found this statement to be untrue. When I first got the rifle, I was not impressed by the quality of the stock finish. I didnt buy it for looks, so I ignored the scratch in the stock, and the variance in… Read Full Review

Chrisco's Response to Chrisco's Review

Written on: 24/05/2005

Update to my last post. I called the RWS office in NJ, and spoke to a very nice guy named Tim. He is the RWS gunsmith. I told him about the breech seal, and he told me he would ship a new one, and a few spares to me. After I got off the phone with him, I found the seal laying in the kitchen sink. I took Tim's advice and secured the seal using a few small drops of superglue. I closed the breech to ensure proper seating of the seal, and a few minutes later, I opened the breech and a piece of metal fell out. I identified the broken part as a ramp to aid in closing and latching the breech block. I called Tim at RWS again, and we went to an english website that had a parts manual for the gun. We identified the broken part, and he agreed to send a replacement along with the seals. The parts arived about 3 days later, and I installed the part in about 10 minutes. Note that the part I got from RWS was differant from the original. The corners of the part were radiused, not square, and the "ramp" section was rounded rather then the wedge shape of the original. I must not be the first one to experiance this problem, or the part would not have been redesigned. Since then, I have fired about 300 rounds with no difficulty. Accuracy is improving as my skills increase. Best groups so far are with Kodiak match, and believe it or not, Gamo hunter pellets. Note that the Gamo hunters are about half the price of the Kodiak, and are available in every sporting goods store, Walmart, and Kmart I have been in. I have a new respect for this gun, that is not reflected in my previous review. BTW, I have a model 46, not the E version. As far as I can tell, there are no mechanical differances between the 46, the 46 E and the Stutzen.

Sifu456's Response to Chrisco's Review

Written on: 18/04/2006

Sounds like you both had a rough break in period. I have 46E and I haven't exeperince any of your problems excpet for the 1 piece mount coming off the 1st time after 50-60 shots. User error, I re-installed it slower and its on soild and tight now, after 200 rounds.
<br>
<br>My gun is the E (not the fancy stock) and I'm impressed by the real looking wood solid construction and workmanship of my guns wood and metal work. I'd say thats a step above the Gamo.
<br>
<br>As for accuracy 1st let me say I'm a break barrel and Gamo fan, I'm very impressed with my Gamo S1k and I own the .22 surpreme variant, both IMO very hard to beat for the money accurate out 80 yards. But I will say that I expect the RWS46 to be better because it does shoot tighter groups inside 10-25m it is a 5 shot 1 holer or 20 shot jagged hole. In short it is more accurate then my Gamos and Beeman so far. Now like you I found that it is not as powerful as the Gamos or Beeman. But it makes the Gamos feel like a toy (a more powerful toy but a toy). MY Rws 46E is clocking 820-825fps at one time 860fps, with Beeman trophy lights.
<br>
<br>I hope you have continued success with your 46, mines is a accurate, reliable, safe and accurate rifle, I'm becoming a RWS under level fan!!

“I feel the gun is well made, but someone at the...”

Written on: 26/12/2003 by h0lmz (2 reviews written)

I feel the gun is well made, but someone at the factory dropped the ball (or maybe the gun) and did not check it for proper barrel alignment. I tried a peep sight but could not adjust it enough lateraly to sight it in. Power is good--even for woodchucks. I would like to see it modified as a gas cylinder vs spring… Read Full Review

Sifu456's Response to h0lmz's Review

Written on: 28/09/2006

I disagree with the inaccuracy part of your review because that is not the experience that I have had with my RWS 46. It's one of, if not the most accurate air rifle I own. Capable of 1 hole 10 shot groups at 10-15 yards and far less then a dime size groups at 25 yard. Some have even tried their hand at the competition field trail with it.
<br/>
<br/>I totally agree about the way it's made being solid and well thought out. I hope you can work that out and you are aware of their life time policies, send it back to get it worked on. If it's not you let someone else shoot it to check it out further. Sometimes you just are not a match.

Sifu456's Response to h0lmz's Review

Written on: 13/05/2008

I disagree with this review because it is not what I experience with this rifle. All but the opposite was my experience it is nicely made as you stated but its also very accurate and reliable.