Origin b2 Reviews

• How effective is the device?

Origin b2 - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Origin b2

Origin b2

“Been using Origin B2 unit for years and years. Refuse...”

Written on: 31/10/2010

Been using Origin B2 unit for years and years. Refuse to upgrade until I really have too, it's that good. On my second unit. Original was fine but some light fingered gypsy decided to nick it. Changing subscription over to new one couldn't have been easier. Like another reviewer found out the laser attachment didn't work quick enough for me - though the cop did get me from some distance on the motorway… Read Full Review

Origin b2

“I've had my Origin B2 for 7 years now and apart from a...”

Written on: 07/10/2010

I've had my Origin B2 for 7 years now and apart from a few niggles i'm very happy with it. Yes, the cradle is not the most secure and it does take a bit of time to lock onto the sats after updating but, if you want a device to inform you of the Gatsos and Truvelos then it works perfectly. I think the laser detector is a bit of a waste of time because it only alerts you once you've been caught...as i found out! I've since bought another 2 B2's, one for my wife and one for my daughter and neither… Read Full Review

Origin b2

“Very poor unit failed within 2 months, unit replaced,...”

Written on: 28/02/2010

Very poor unit failed within 2 months, unit replaced, failed again 19 months unit replaced now out of Warranty, next failure in the bin and it will be goodbye Origin, never to return to this household… Read Full Review

Origin b2

“Owned for 2.5 years At times slow to locate satellites...”

Written on: 13/10/2008

Owned for 2.5 years At times slow to locate satellites but my big gripe is that within weeks of the warranty expiring the B2 started to fail. First the back light, then the speech followed by warning bleeps. It is almost as if it had a programmed shut-down. With the subscription it has been an expensive unit… Read Full Review

Origin b2

“I have used all the leading camera detectors, this is...”

Written on: 30/03/2007 by GRH (1 review written)

I have used all the leading camera detectors, this is just OK and not as good as the road angel and the micro pilot products, the quality of the hardware is very poor indeed, with the cradle failing very quickly (very weak pins)… Read Full Review

Origin b2

“It was a waste of money - where is the customer...”

Written on: 28/11/2006 by fraggle6183 (1 review written)

It was a waste of money - where is the customer service department?

My Origin b2 speed camera detector has never picked up a mobile camera van, which was why I bought it! I was assured by the man in the shop on about 5 occasions that it would pick up mobile camera vans… Read Full Review

Origin b2

“If there was good back up regarding this Origin b2...”

Written on: 15/05/2006 by gw0jcb (1 review written)

If there was good back up regarding this Origin b2 electrical connection loss
Maybe I would keep mine but they do not reply to emails and when they do they apologise cause there emails been down… Read Full Review

Origin b2

“I bought 6 Origin B2 Solo units for myself and a group...”

Written on: 22/04/2006 by k9orbs (1 review written)

I bought 6 Origin B2 Solo units for myself and a group of work colleagues about a year ago. We had to return every single unit in the first batch within a month because of cradle connectivity faults. Of the replacement units, 4 had to go back again!! We are all still dogged with intermittent connection problems and a year on we are now starting to see software lockups and two of the units have developed problems with the control buttons. On our sample of 6 units the reliability is appalling… Read Full Review

Origin b2

“I'm really happy with my Origin b2 despite some niggles. ”

Written on: 27/11/2005 by lmfletcher (1 review written)

I'm really happy with my Origin b2 despite some niggles.

I'll get those out of the way first: the cradle connections are a bit dodgy. Cleaning helps for the power/laser/diffuser row of contacts, but the GPS antenna connector between the cradle and unit needs intermittent attention (the centre pin of the GPS connector on the unit can be re-centred with a fine needle to improve friction and reduce those… Read Full Review

Origin b2

“Superbly accurate and comprehensive database. I do not...”

Written on: 25/09/2005 by wilsan (1 review written)

Superbly accurate and comprehensive database. I do not reccommend hard wiring as the unit (or part of) will have to be returned or replaced at some stage. This is a remarkable unit when it is new and working properly. Sadly after a few months I needed a new comms lead then sometime after a new cradle - then after 12/15 months a new head unit. More recently a fuse blew and I replaced with only one available which was rated slightly higher. My stupid mistake - flames started to shoot out of… Read Full Review

Origin b2

“When this Origin b2 GPS Speed Camera Detector works it...”

Written on: 21/07/2005 by lmhobbs (1 review written)

When this Origin b2 GPS Speed Camera Detector works it functions extremely well. What I find extremely annoying and the manufacturers will not acknowledge this as a problem is that the slightest bump can make it jump out of the cradle and hence it stops working. If you are unlucky, it then takes many minutes, often 4 miles in my case, to get a satellite lock. Again Origin will not acknolwedge this as a problem. It will show 6+ satellites for many miles and still refuse to lock so you have to… Read Full Review

Origin b2

“I have used one these Origin B2 GPS Speed Camera...”

Written on: 11/06/2005 by JRHTowers (3 reviews written)

I have used one these Origin B2 GPS Speed Camera Detectors for about a year. Its most infuriating fault is its frequent loss of electrical connection with the mounting stand (in all but the smoothest of cars), which one often doesn't notice unless constantly checking that the display is still actually showing. Such rank sloppy design all but negates its actual features and it seems astonishing that the same brains who went to all the trouble of incorporating those features have poured all their… Read Full Review

Origin b2

“I loved this Origin b2 GPS Speed Camera Detector, it...”

Written on: 13/10/2004 by helfinger (2 reviews written)

I loved this Origin b2 GPS Speed Camera Detector, it was easy to install, it could be fitted either on the dash or in the centre console area. This unit performed far better than I had expected. Previously I had the classic road angel unit which was good but a bit on the large side. In the 5 months of owning this unit and am happy to report the Origin b2 has alerted me to every camera with a 100% success rate. I have also got this unit working with a Lidatek LE-30 laser diffuser which now gives… Read Full Review

Bigaudio's Response to helfinger's Review

Written on: 09/11/2004

Helfinger, in your review you mention that you have the lidatek le 30 connected to the B2, how did you manage this...was it a cable connection? I am interested in purchasing both units. Did you install them yourself?

Origin b2

“The Origin b2 GPS Speed Camera Detector is not a unit...”

Written on: 03/09/2004 by budfox786 (1 review written)

The Origin b2 GPS Speed Camera Detector is not a unit you would want unless you want to spend the cash to get it hard wired into your car! 3 cables and a docking station were not easy to hide on the dash. Fixed camera warnings worked well BUT laser gave a FALSE WARNING nearly every half an hour - after numerous calls to Orgin, the problem was still UNRESOLVED so sent the unit back and got myself a Road Angel 2 - which worked a treat, gave no false warnings, did not require hard wiring, had only… Read Full Review

Pigmeat2000's Response to budfox786's Review

Written on: 20/04/2005

The reviewer must have got a dud one. My B2 has NEVER given a false laser warning.

Moayad's Response to budfox786's Review

Written on: 26/05/2005

i 100% agree with this review. My B2 gives so many false laser alerts and worst of all the Origin team are not very reliable, they tell so many lies. Unfortunately i have bought the B2 and stuck with it. i do strongly recommend Road Angel 2.

Origin b2

“The Origin b2 Driver Safety and Information System the...”

Written on: 03/06/2004 by richard978 (1 review written)

The Origin b2 Driver Safety and Information System the most technologically advanced product on the market and provides the driver with a comprehensive range of speed management information in a user friendly format, the breadth and depth of which no other single system can provide… Read Full Review

Richard40's Response to richard978's Review

Written on: 23/11/2004

Would it be unfair to suggest that this reads less like a review and more like an advertisement ?

Cobra9733's Response to richard978's Review

Written on: 16/04/2005

I think you hit the nail on the head there richard40, thats no review!

Origin b2

“Origin b2 Can find the speed camera at a good range. ...”

Written on: 12/03/2004 by lachielachie (1 review written)

Origin b2 Can find the speed camera at a good range. Fuel stations and other emitting place get confused and mixed up. Definatley good but not best GPS Speed Camera detector… Read Full Review

Origin b2

“The Origin b2 is ok and quite good value for money. ...”

Written on: 09/03/2004 by pdhr (1 review written)

The Origin b2 is ok and quite good value for money. It can track the gatso cameras. But can't track the CCTV camras which will book you if it catches you going slower for the gatso cam and then speeding up… Read Full Review

Daisysdad's Response to 146915_pdhr's Review

Written on: 03/06/2004

I think you may have your b2 set up incorrectly, it does know where the SPECS cameras are, and you should understand that it doesnt track anything, because it uses gps it knows your location the ob2 has a camera database in it that is how it knows where the cameras are. I have had mine for over six months my road angel went in the bin because of its flaky camera database, it kept showing cameras that wern't there!, the ob2 does have a laser detector and it is exactly that a DETECTOR it will only warn you that your speed has been measured, the licenced highway robbers can measure your speed in 0.3, I drive 30k + a year, I need my licence and I am fed up with these, taking the micky out of the majority of us, in fact I would say my b2 has slowed me down and it was worth every penny, it truly does do exactly what it says on the tin I would recommend it to anyone.

Origin b2

“The neatest option I found was the Origin b2 and it...”

Written on: 25/12/2003 by pigmeat2000 (17 reviews written)

The neatest option I found was the Origin b2 and it was given very good reports by those who properly tested it. In one weekend I was flashed by two different speed cameras. The first of the intended prosecution notices duely arrived for doing 36 in a 30 limit. I am expecting the other notice this week (another 36 mph ticket I believe). Another bad weekend like this and I can say goodbye to my license. I decided to get some protection and studied the available kit on the market to detect… Read Full Review

Written on: 05/01/2004

UPDATE TO THE ORIGINAL REVIEW
<br>
<br>I've used the Origin b2 for 2 weeks now. I've noticed the quick connect/disconnect electrical contacts between the display unit and the mounting module can be a little iffy. This occasionally results in the display believing it has lost contact with the satellites and an alarm sounds to let you know. Squeezing the display onto the mounting module usually restores the connections and all is well again.
<br>
<br>Positioning of the GPS satellite antenna is critical. Mine is located on the rear parcel shelf of my Mondeo and now that I've fiddled with it to find the best location it now normally locks onto at least 6 satellites all the time. This gives great reliability and I never lose reception of the signals from them.
<br>
<br>This idea of using an separate antenna gives the b2 a great advantage over other units like the Road Angel where the re-radiating antenna costs an extra £70 or so, and would definitely be needed in a car like the Mondeo or others with a heated front screen.
<br>
<br>One gripe though - the Origin only comes with 6 months updates of the camera trap database and it costs a futher £50 per year after that. This is similar to the update costs from other manufacturers but is still a rip off.

Written on: 17/07/2004

Re bidaudio's query - the installer tried to get the gps receiving antenna to work on the front dash. It wouldn't unfortunately, it never picked up more than 2 satellites from the front. In practice, the receiver needs good signals from at least 4 satellites. So he had to install the antenna on the rear parcel shelf. To be honest, this makes for a neater installation. Incidentally, I've discovered that if you are forced to drive with the parcel shelf removed you can attach the antenna (it has a velcro pad attached to the underside of it) to the furry material which lines the boot and the b2 works just fine. Didn't expect that !

Bigaudio's Response to pigmeat2000's Review

Written on: 01/07/2004

Excellent review pigmeat, very informative indeed.
<br>I too have a mondeo and I have installed satellite navigation and my gps antenna sits on the front dashboard and works no problem whatsoever, I usually pick up around 8 satellite's.
<br>The point I'm trying to make here is will the unit work with the GPS antenna located on the front windscreen? I am considering buying the origin b2 solo model which has the antenna built into the docking unit and I would like to sit it on my dashboard, could you possibly try and see if your unit will work with the antenna on the front shelf?

Written on: 06/04/2004

UPDATE TO ORIGINAL REVIEW (3 MONTHS ON)
<br>
<br>Was zapped by a police laser speed gun last weekend. On a dead straight road with unhindered visibility I got more than a 1 kilometre warning that the gun was in use. I actually wasn't speeding but it was reassuring to know that the b2 can work so well. I now understand that the police don't turn on the laser gun until they are confident that an offending motorist will register on their equipment. This way the laser doesn't give us detector users too much advance warning of the trap's presence. OK, the performance of the detector is amazing when in direct sight of the gun but is likely to be considerably less effective in busy suburban environments or when situated round corners etc.
<br>The message is - don't rely too heavily on advance warnings, keep your speed down instead.