The Killers, Sam's Town Reviews

The Killers, Sam's Town - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for The Killers, Sam's Town

The Killers, Sam's Town

“Sams Town is an excellent follow up to Hot Fuss, while...”

Written on: 23/07/2007 by Jon999 (1 review written)

Sams Town is an excellent follow up to Hot Fuss, while having a largely different style I think this is great and a breath of fresh air. At first I was not sure about it however, after a few times listening to it I loved it! Best album of 2006 without a doubt… Read Full Review

Lordbrambleberry's Response to 300022_Jon999's Review

Written on: 31/12/2007

It's not really that different from "Hot Fuss".<P>
It still has The Killers patented catchiness, and Brandon Flowers has (Pardon the Pun), really blossomed. I love the Killers, and it's nice to see another fan.

“The Killers are a very strange band, for me, in that...”

Written on: 19/04/2007 by Cognition (90 reviews written)

The Killers are a very strange band, for me, in that they're the only group in their genre that I can happily get on with.

After listening to a friend's copy of Hot Fuss, I felt the need to buy Sam's Town, maybe out of curiosity, but mostly because I loved Hot Fuss and needed more of The Killers.

There is only one problem with Sam's Town, and I mean with The Killers in general - and this is the use of the word "heart" which is said in almost every song (this isn't a bad thing, I just thought… Read Full Review

182801_Clair's Response to Cognition's Review

Hey Cognition,

I liked your review, I too just needed more after the Hot Fuss, album, yet after the first 2 or 3 listens I was left disappointed. Now however after about 1000 plays it is one of my favourite albums.
<br/>
<br/>I would also like to point out, that ,as many times as I have listened to Sam&#039;s Town I never noticed the Heart thing but just looking to my fav track For Reasons Unknown it is clear you are right.

“I do love the Killers as I know what they're capable...”

Written on: 12/03/2007 by Dave Fin (1 review written)

I do love the Killers as I know what they're capable of, however this album has in my opinion NO connection with their previous Hot Fuss. Where I found Hot Fuss a clever, soulful indie album I find Sam's Town to be a muddled cacophony where each member sounds like they're pulling in a different direction. It may have been The Killers' intention to stretch their sound, but it ended up reminiscent of them running out of time and the record company demanding a premature release date. Brandon… Read Full Review

“I think the sound of this album is quite different...”

Written on: 03/03/2007 by rds1 (1 review written)

I think the sound of this album is quite different from hot fuss. I think it is better as well. In my opinion this is the best album of the year(2006). There are loads of good songs on this album i.e.'and he doesn't look a thing like jesus but' (I can't remember the name of that song) and bones as well… Read Full Review

“I think that Sam's Town is a successful follow-up to...”

Written on: 02/12/2006 by westozzy (1 review written)

I think that Sam's Town is a successful follow-up to Hot Fuss. The music is similar but fresh and has a distinctively new sound. Songs such as 'Sam's Town', 'For Reasons Uunknown', 'Read My Mind', 'Hey Johnny', and 'Bones' are great songs and provide great listening and satisfaction. The song 'When You Were Young' is obviously the spearhead song but does have the backing from the songs mentioned to give this album an overall worthiness. In my opinion, Sam's Town is a great album and is a valued… Read Full Review

“"Sam's Town" is worthy in its own right, but not as a...”

Written on: 30/11/2006 by hamehlers (1 review written)

"Sam's Town" is worthy in its own right, but not as a mate to "Hot Fuss." It comes off as sloppier and more self-indulgent than its predecessor; there is no whimsy or music for the sake of music… Read Full Review

“The Killers' follow up to Hot Fuss isn't what many...”

Written on: 14/11/2006 by moodyg (1 review written)

The Killers' follow up to Hot Fuss isn't what many expected and so I think they will lose some of those fans who want more of that heated, fast pop and fresh sound that the Killers completely embraced on the first record. However, Sam's Town is a solid record. It flows when played in its entirety and has songs that can stand on their own, "Read My Mind", "Bones", and the title track "Sam's Town" are perfect examples of such. Much has been made about this record not being as good as the first or… Read Full Review

Mr Brightside's Response to moodyg's Review

Written on: 16/11/2006

Sam's Town is a great follow up to Hot Fuss. The Killers rock!! It is so catchy, theatrical, over the top and so Brandon Flowers. Like you said, the album flows from one song to another, with most tracks standing out on their own so much, that any could be a single on its own. My personal favorite is 'For reasons unknown', although I am a bit worried about the sadness in some of the songs, considering Brandon is a newly wed. I think the only song that reflects his own personal life is 'Why do I keep Counting'. I also think this album has quite a strong religious undertone, which I was not expecting. Top Album!

Moodyg's Response to moodyg's Review

Written on: 17/11/2006

To the gent who posted not understanding the Killers appeal -- Some of your points are well taken with how different music appeals to different people, but I have to say that the Killers are a good band. Sam's Town is more solid than the first, but if you really weren't a fan of the first, then I don't expect to convert you. That's cool. I will say that I've been to see the Killers live a few times (they get better each time), and they are actually very good live, and Brandon Flowers can sing. I'll be the first to admit though, that his voice has some moments that trip me out--but oddly enough that is a part of the appeal. Crazy. They do sell out arenas. Wild. And their record went platinum this week in the US, and it is already gold & platinum in other countries. It still won't do as well as their first album, but that's cool. I don't think many bands could do it two times in the row. This is only their second album after all. Is it the best album? No. Is it 'one' of the best? In my opinion, "yes".

Cosmo's Response to moodyg's Review

Written on: 17/11/2006

I must admit that I am at a loss as to how the Killers have gotten so massive. They&#039;ve had a couple of good singles ("Smile Like You Mean It" is appalling!), the first album was patchy, the second is ok, but it&#039;s hardly the greatest thing ever. Their songwriting is often awkward and they cannot perform live - Brandon Flowers cannot sing, it&#039;s embarassing. So, how is it that they are the hottest thing around?
<br/>
<br/>I don&#039;t like Coldplay, Keane or James Blunt but I can see where they appeal to certain audiences. But the Killers&#039; target audience is usually far more discerning. I&#039;m not saying I dislike the Killers cause they have their moments, but seriously, how are they selling out arenas?!

“It's a good album, and their performance on SNL...”

Written on: 19/10/2006 by ryemac123 (1 review written)

It's a good album, and their performance on SNL absolutely blew away most bands that I've seen on the show in the past couple of years. Flowers is a unique and charismatic front man - he's just weird enough to make me interested. The Killers Sam's Town album is a good representation of a band growing into themselves. An improvement on Hot Fuss, in my opinion… Read Full Review

182801_Clair's Response to ryemac123's Review

Written on: 03/11/2006

I agree! Sam's Town is a fantastic album, and one that gets better with each listen. If you like Killers, and as you said mature rock, have you heard the new Jet album - Shine On? It is also fantastic! And going by what you said, I think you might enjoy it. Plus, there is no auto tuner involved.

“There's no wonder why the radio stations have been...”

Written on: 05/10/2006 by PunterCam (1 review written)

There's no wonder why the radio stations have been completely unenthusiastic about the album since its release. It's not very good. I've read people saying "they couldn't just bring out another album like Hot Fuss, and they had to move forward". Why? Hot Fuss was a masterpiece of writing and production. There was energy and a roughness that made you excited to hear it. All but two of the songs on that album were Killer, and those 2 were hardly filler. What's wrong with that formula? I had high… Read Full Review

Helen Of Troy's Response to PunterCam's Review

Written on: 20/10/2006

I dislike negative ratings, so I have given a helpful rating because you have written an honest review in your opinion! I have not yet heard the album, and I have been thinking of buying it. I have Hot Fuss and love it. I may still buy this album, as I have heard a few tracks off it which I like. But now I will be prepared, and I may not like this one as much. Don't you agree that it would be helpful to all if the negative raters could state why they disagree? Thanks!

Helen Of Troy's Response to PunterCam's Review

Written on: 21/10/2006

Thanks for your comment about Sam's Town Mindy. That's the best review by comment I've read so far!!

Mindy's Response to PunterCam's Review

Written on: 20/10/2006

<cite>Hot Fuss</cite> was hardly what I'd call a masterpiece. It was an OK first album, with about 4 fantastic songs and a lot of awkward-sounding filler. I have been very surprised by <cite>Sam's Town</cite>. I was expecting it to be garbage, but a friend made me listen to it, and I found it much more consistent a record than the debut. I think their songwriting on the whole has improved! It still sounds just like them, but with less emphasis on British music and more of an American flavour. They've used the Springsteen and Bright Eyes influences well. I like the fact it tells a story and has an overall feel and atmosphere to it, rather than coming across like a bunch of singles strung together by second-rate nonsense. I still probably won't buy it, but it's nice to see that, in my opinion at least, they've been focusing on honing their songwriting and improving, rather than on running about being famous and annoying (which they do as well). So often second albums disappoint, in that a band has little time in which to write and record them, and they often get it very wrong. This record shows a lot of thought, and I suspect it will be a grower, just like the single "When You Were Young."

“The long awaited Killers follow up Sam's Town finally...”

Written on: 04/10/2006 by Clair (1 review written)

The long awaited Killers follow up Sam's Town finally arrived and what a return for the Las Vegas indie boys. This album screams from the first listen of big show tunes as Brandon Flowers belts out each number with his usually deepness in voice backed with over the top instrumental backing. Although this is a stronger effort lyrically from that of Hot Fuss the songs are not to different in style and poise making this a must have in any collection. There is however a sense of back to the roots… Read Full Review

Cognition's Response to 182801_Clair's Review

Written on: 21/04/2007

If an album is themed, I don&#039;t think that always means that it shows what direction a band has chosen to go in. Who&#039;s to say that their next album won&#039;t be completely different, as Sam&#039;s Town was to Hot Fuss?

182801_Clair's Response to 182801_Clair's Review

Hi
<br/>
<br/>I would like to point out two things. This album review was written 3 days after its release in the UK. My opinions have since changed somewhat but the sentiment has remained the same.
<br/>
<br/> I do believe that Sam&#039;s Town is themed and it has been said by the great band themselves, however I did not say that The Killers have taken a new direction for the rest of their musical career and every album will be the same as this. I just said that Sam&#039;s Town was in a new direction from Hot Fuss. That aside I can not see them returning to the days of Hot fuss but more in a totally new direction altogether - but do remember that is just my opinion.
<br/>
<br/>I still believe this is a great album and all should own even if it does take a few listens for some to grow on.