Colmans Mustard Reviews

Colmans Mustard - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Colmans Mustard

Colmans Mustard

“Getting Worse With Each Jar”

Written on: 30/07/2015 by 491Dougherty (1 review written)

I thought it was just me.....I thought my taste buds were losing their power, but it would appear not.

The latest jar I have just bought is gloopy yellow brown, and when you shake it, it slops around like ketchup.
As many reviews mention, you used to use the tip of a knife, and woe betide if you put to much in your ham sandwich - your eyes watered, and your nose screwed up.

Now its just like a mix with the milder, french style mustard - no way is it the same as it used to be! :-( poor show

Simonatkins's Comment

Written on: 10/08/2015

No you're absolutely right. Clearly the more you use the more you buy so that's their plan. The powdered stuff is still pretty mature.

“Now even worse..”

Written on: 18/06/2015 by IanThomas (1 review written)

Latest jar purchased is even thinner and weaker than before. Where is the bite? Where is the tingle in the nostrils? Now needs a half-teaspoonfull to taste it in a ham sandwich! Colman's used to be one product where you would stick to 'the brand' instead of the supermarket's own brand. Not any more. Any suggestions on an alternative, or do I have to make up from powdered mustard if I want a proper mustard hit?… Read Full Review

“What's happened to this mustard”

Written on: 02/08/2014 by Goodwin1963 (1 review written)

Just purchased a jar colmans original mustard.its a different colour much darker brown colour not glossy yellow. It has no taste after using for many years I have tried using more than double the quantity it's not even hot. What have they done to it????… Read Full Review

“Very poor and runny. Certainly not the same mustard...”

Written on: 22/03/2014 by Saulx265 (1 review written)

Very poor and runny. Certainly not the same mustard that i used to buy. I have always stuck by Colemans, but shall be looking around for another brand now… Read Full Review

Mrmogwye's Comment

Written on: 15/04/2014

I totally agree, it used to be a nice thick paste, it now contains more water (more profit) and has lost it's bite. this used to be the best traditional British mustard but since it was bought out by another company who are obviously looking for more profit rather than keeping the original mustard recipe. Shame on them.

“Pouring Consistency!”

Written on: 25/12/2013

This Mustard has changed for the worst! I used to use a Knife to remove it from the Jar, now you just 'Tip it Up', and Hey presto you can pour it! What is happening to a good old English Classic?… Read Full Review

Bpell's Comment

Written on: 30/12/2013

I totally agree, and I've had enough. Colmans has been the only brand of English mustard I have ever bought. The last few jars have been so runny that I've now decided to try a different brand. Going to be trying out a few supermarket own brands from now on.

“What's happened to Colmans English Mustard”

Written on: 12/10/2013 by martinwillmott (1 review written)

I can remember when Colmans mustard was on the table when I was a young lad (a long time ago). You dared to eat it as it was thick and hot. It has always been the ONLY mustard in my house since but recently it has lost its consistency and heat and I wondered why? Have they been taken over by another foreign company like Cadbury's taken over by Nestle? Are they trying to make it into a more internationally accepted taste or have they lost the plot??… Read Full Review

Geofftheref's Response to martinwillmott's Review

Written on: 19/11/2013

I totally agree. If you tip the jar sideways the watery contents come out faster than ketchup from a bottle

“Runny Mustard.”

Written on: 12/10/2013 by peteandeat (1 review written)

I have noticed that Colmans English Mustard has become very runny, it's almost like they are watering it down ? Have they changed the recipe or is this just a profit making scam ?… Read Full Review

“Doesn't cut the Mustard”

Written on: 25/08/2013

The recipe must have been changed. It looks different, tastes different and drips of your food. I will not buy this product anymore. It is an insult to mustard lovers. I say "BRING BACK THE OLD RECIPE"… Read Full Review

“Runny gloop ”

Written on: 09/06/2013

The recipe has certainly changed, it is now too runny and does not hold onto food. No sharpness and seems to have lost it's heat. We shall look for an alternative. It is not the English mustard that i grew up on, i would say that it changed the recipe about 2 jars ago which would equate to about 2 months… Read Full Review

Cmdaviesguiseley's Comment

Written on: 16/07/2013

I agree I have been saying it for months now. While I was in Australia you could buy colemans mustard there and it was weak and runny just like here in England. I will be looking for a different mustard

“Colmans mustard? The recipie seems to have changed,...”

Written on: 24/06/2010

Colmans mustard? The recipie seems to have changed, it's not quite so yellow and its not as hot as it used to be, it's more like a dijon mustard. It's nice enough but not proper English mustard… Read Full Review

Guest's Comment

Written on: 17/07/2011

I agree - it seems to have changed recently and is less hot.........it always had the perfect heat and a subtle sweetness unlike any other main stream brand.

Now it is very bland and we're also eating more to get the same heat buzz - a pot lasts much less time. We're based in Oz where it's hardly cheap there are no real alternatives that I have found :-(

Has anyone else found this and is it worth contacting them direct for an explanation if so..............?

(noticed the change before July2011)

Donbarrow's Comment

Written on: 30/05/2013

Colmans Mustard was renowned as the 'Bees Knees' as far as English mustard was concerned, however it's recipe seems to have changed since their takeover by another company, it used to be a nice hot paste, now it's a mildish hot slightly watered down mustard. It's no where near as potent to what it used to be, obviously a downgraded production cost has taken place.

What used to be a world class leader as the best English mustard available, It has now lost it's traditional English mustard taste.

Meatloaf1966's Comment

Written on: 31/05/2013

Were they bought out by a foreign company by some chance? This could be an act of sabotage !!!!!!

“Only Colman's would do in our house or around my...”

Written on: 08/02/2007 by Anonymous101 (1 review written)

Only Colman's would do in our house or around my Nanna's for Sunday Lunch. I must admit, I was a bit wary to say the least when it came to putting mustard on my Sunday Dinner as a younger lad. I loved mint on my potatoes, and it wasn't that unusual to find Piccalilli on my plate too, but when it came to mustard I felt my young taste buds maybe couldn't "handle" the raw heat experience of Colman's mustard. Our Nanna always had a tube of Colman's mustard, and it was always present for Sunday… Read Full Review

Helen Of Troy's Response to 252776_Anonymous101's Review

Written on: 08/02/2007

Excellent review Micky! I bet our word association game in the forums jogged that lovely memory of your childhood! Colmans - next word - Bull!!

252776_Anonymous101's Response to 252776_Anonymous101's Review

Written on: 14/03/2007

Colmans powder!!, Colmans actually supply a product which allows you to be in charge of the heat intensity of your mustard, I'm surprised more people haven't been hurt!

Garryf's Response to 252776_Anonymous101's Review

Written on: 08/02/2007

Mickey, it sounds like you're ready for the REAL THING. Get a tub of Colmans English Mustard Powder. Mix as per instructions. Wait at least 20 minutes. Then taste the difference. WOW!!